[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what are some good western mechs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: MZzhZ.jpg (167 KB, 782x1097) Image search: [Google]
MZzhZ.jpg
167 KB, 782x1097
pic unrelated of course
>>
File: 1443547759983.jpg (339 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1443547759983.jpg
339 KB, 900x1350
>>13987827
>>
File: SCV.png (4 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
SCV.png
4 KB, 120x120
>>
There arent any and everything posted in this thread will only prove me right
>>
File: WP_20160312_001.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1456) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160312_001.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1456
>>13989018
SC2's models just aren't the same. They're too large and cartoonish for me.
>>
>>13988987

Is that game coming out soon? They won't stop notifying me of updates since I donated enough to get a copy, but the updates don't tend to mention a release date.

>>13989152

In fairness, an SCV is huge in-universe
>>
ITT: Fucking lame

Cartoons do it better for America. Seriously.
>>13982970

Britain also has lots of material, France as well.
>>
>>13989166
Did you even read anything when you gave them money?
It's expected to release in 2017. The updates are mainly the bonus stretch goal stuff like that livestream where they played tabletop battletech with booze
>>
File: dust-tactics-ss.png (199 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
dust-tactics-ss.png
199 KB, 400x294
In general I really like the mech designs in Dust Warfare, though not really any one in particular; there is a consistent theme in its design but with regional flavor. Like pic related does a pretty good job of capturing what a Soviet-era Chinese mech would look like, drawing inspiration from a Type 59 tank.

Really made it easy to get immersed in world when even the mechs fit in the rest of World War II's going-ons.
>>
Syd Mead's work for turn A are the only good western designs
>>
>>13989283
Only because they go by eastern sensibilities
>>
>>13989166
He's a big guy but Starcraft 2 makes every unit large. The relative difference is the same in both games. Plus they went from the cool pseudo-cyberpunk designs of the Terrans to whatever the new stuff is supposed to be. I'm not going to argue that they didn't need a little redesign but I didn't like how they turned out.
>>
>>13987827
Not that one. Yikes...

>tfw the new Mechwarrior is P2W garbage with no single player.

it still hurts...
>>
Transformers. Can't believe /m/ forgets about it all the time. It's like the only series that have the robots as actual characters.
>>
>>13989353
Japanese designs turned into an American TV show.
>>
>>13987827
Yes because apparently there is only one way, and one way only, in how to depict giant bipedal warmachines. Different design philosophies from country to country, which is a real thing, apparently does not apply to fictional big dick walking weapons of terror, nor does it show excellent insight on how other countries view certain ideas and how they change from person to person with radical different backgrounds.
>>
>>13989476
I'm not sure what the intention behind your post is, but I'd like to point out that modern tank designs all kinda look the same too. Different design philosophies exist but have more or less come to a conclusion about the optimal balance of armour, armament, and mobility.
>>
>>13989476
lol butthurt
>>
File: 3wms1.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
3wms1.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
From ED-209 in Robocop to APU in Matrix Revolutions, why American mech designers keep referring to Walker Machines in Xabungle?
>>
>>13990380
WMs, Dougram, VOTOMs, Macross and a few other series seem like the most prevalent Eastern material that Western, or more specifically American real robot stuff is similar to.

But you know what the worst part is? They, first, have never fuckin' heard of those series to begin with, and second, don't even get the good things about those mecha right. The focus on realism and the lack of any actual knowledge about those series means you just get really boring, busy designs with no fun to them.

This is also besides how this excessive focus on realism also comes from how, at least in the US it seems, the audience will immediately either lump in robots of any kind with whatever localized Eastern robots they're familiar with or else they will question the fuck out of its existence, usually both. The efforts made by the most prevalent of American designers to break away from an already stupid stigma makes things harder for everyone.

Pretty lame. I wish some good western got some more attention or was more prevalent.
>>
>>13990421
>WMs
Fuck me I meant Xabungle.
Anyways, it's kinda telling when the best Western stuff comes from comics and cartoons, innit?
>>
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.