[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The more 80s non-Gundam shows I watch, the more I realize how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
The more 80s non-Gundam shows I watch, the more I realize how overated Gundam really is.

Anyone else know this feel?
>>
First Gundam is a masterpiece
>>
No.
>>
>>13987322
>First Gundam is a masterpiece

Only in your deluded mind.
>>
>>13987280

No. Other series have unique qualities, but Gundam is by no means overrated. I think what you're trying to say is that other series are underrated.
>>
>>13987448
This.
>>
>>13987280
NOT EVEN JUSTICE
>>
>>13987280
Not really, my favorite mecha from the 80's are, in order:

Gunbuster
LoGH
Zeta Gundam
Gundam Char's Counterattack
Gundam 0080
>>
>>13987482
I WANT TO GET TRUCE
>>
>>13987280
I think the first Gundam still holds up given time and place and how it pretty much kickstarted interest into what can be loosely defined for the sake of simplicity as "real robots". After that it depends, each different work can be hit or miss and the attempts at storytelling and delivering a message are often hilariously shitty but it has its appeal. Also Gundam has the best toys and is the only mecha franchise to reliably put out a new show year after year, so it has that going for it.
>>
>>13987448
This.
I don't see why it's not possible to like and appreciate both the early Gundam series AND other mecha series from the same time.
>>
>>13987523
Because apparently the rule on /m/ has been if you're going to prop a show up, you need to be ready to pull another down to emphasize it.
>>
>>13987280
Name ONE 80s mecha show that's better than 0079
Protip: I'll be very happy if you can because it'll give me something new to watch
>>
>>13987280
some gundam series definitely are pretty overrated but i think some still really shine through.

Either way, its good to stray and watch lots of other things, it can help to make you appreciate mecha a lot more.
>>
File: Shot-down Soltic.jpg (187 KB, 727x1000) Image search: [Google]
Shot-down Soltic.jpg
187 KB, 727x1000
>>13987280
FIGHT! DOUGRAM TO SAVE THE INDEPENDENCY OF THE DELOYER

How're you enjoying Dougram?
>>
>>13987280

I need the Dougram gif that has all the battletech lines in it
>>
>>13987518
>and how it pretty much kickstarted interest into what can be loosely defined for the sake of simplicity as "real robots".

For anime anyway. Starship Troopers did it for books back in the 50s. Yes they were power armor, but I mean their role in the story.
>>
File: Crinn plays BT.gif (3 MB, 234x170) Image search: [Google]
Crinn plays BT.gif
3 MB, 234x170
>>13989185
Gotcha covered

I wish Dougram didn't have BT affiliated with it.
>>
>>13987569
Macross SDF1, Votoms, and Patlabor TV off the top of my head.
>>
File: chirico03.jpg (113 KB, 1000x999) Image search: [Google]
chirico03.jpg
113 KB, 1000x999
this
>>
>>13989176
I like that they really try to incorperate tactitcs, operations, and strategy into the plot, as well as really integral politicking.

Buuut, the mecha action is always as follows

Crinn tries to shoot the enemy and misses
Enemies shoot back at crinn
Crinn screams
Crinn shoots some more and misses
Crinn realizes what he is doing wrong
Dougram shoots everything exactly once and they blow up into tiny peices
>>
>>13987280
>the more things that were inspired by gundam i watch the more i realize im retarded
>>
>>13987517
I believe you mean "I WAN TO, GET TRUUF."

>>13989228
How early in are you? It doesn't really change combat-wise, a few memorable fights aside (The last fight in the show is memorable for a lot of reasons, one of which you will know from the way the show started), but the plotting picks up a lot more as it goes on.

Unfortunately, it was the 80s, which means they had to keep people who missed an episode or two in on what happened through the annoying method of Recap Episodes, so expect a few of those.
>>
>>13987569
I've always felt Votoms was superior to 0079.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.