[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Legend of the Galactic Heroes is apparently getting translated,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 10
So Legend of the Galactic Heroes is apparently getting translated, and it seems the first volume released a few days ago. Has anyone on /m/ had a chance to read it yet?
>>
>>13985417
There was a thread about a blog post with a feminist being butthurt about it.

I say that's another reason to support it. Other than it already being good.
>>
>>13985430
I received my copy in the mail the other day but haven't had a chance to read it, but everyone with the mental capacity beyond a mentally retarded finch bathing in a vat of embalming fluid seems to like it.
>>
They changed Bittenfeld's name to Wittenfeld.

But aside from that odd translation, it's solid. It is a tad dry, but it's very well paced.
>>
>>13985430
That's not exactly how the thread went.
And someone not liking something is not a good reason to like the thing.
>>
That's nice and all, but Unbroken Arrow when
>>
>>13985567
To be fair it'd be pronounced Vittenfeld which would sound very close to Bittenfeld.
>>
>>13985567

In fairness, considering the content matter I have a feeling the original text was dry to begin with.

Also it's wierd the anime took so long to show the prolouge.
>>
>>13985679
It was the first logical point for it. You don't want to start your anime with a history dump and before Julian's trip, it would have been hard to justify history recaps.
>>
>>13985417
Mine should show up next week. I'm incredibly excited.
>>
I got the audio version, listened to it in a night, it's very close to the anime and end right before the civil wars. I can't wait for the next one.

The most major difference is Attenborough isn't a character in this version and it's obvious they added him to give Yang someone like Siegfried he could discuss his thought process with as in a book it's fine if we're inside a character's head the whole time but that doesn't play so well on TV.

>>13985567
That's not really a name change, in Nip Bs and Vs are like Rs and Ls in that they turn into the same sound while in German W is pronounced as a V.

So Wittenfeld would be pronounced Vittenfeld which in nip would be Bittenferuto which would be written as ビッテンフェルト Which when translated back could be Vittenfeld or Bittenfeld.

It's like Megaman where you have Dr. Light, in nip that's Dr. Rito which translated into English could either be Dr. Right or Dr. Light.
>>
>>13985969
No dusty in the books!?
>>
>>13985994
Nope, unless they add him in later, but in the first book much of his role is taken up by Yang's own deliberations rather than Yang discussing it with him.

Poplin is still in there though.
>>
Tanaka's military SF classic has been unavailable in English for decades, but given the poor quality of this new translation, it's hard to say whether that was truly a bad thing. The saga follows two young commanders on either side of a galactic war: Reinhard von Lohengramm of the Galactic Empire, and Yang Wen-li of the Free Planets Alliance. Upon their first meeting in battle, each man distinguishes himself by utilizing unorthodox tactical maneuvers (which have their basis in military history). A web of political infighting on both sides slowly reveals itself, but Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the fan-favorite anime adaptation). It doesn't help that Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8M9O4Ckvbg
>>
>>13986006
Is that still the only published review we have?
>>
>>13985969
Is Wittenfeld pronounced Vittenfeld in the audio?
>>
>>13986029
That guy's explanation is only half correct but yes

ビッテンフェルト = bittenferuto in Japanese can be German Wittenfeld because B and V are the same thing and German W is pronounced as a V, and the German D at the end is pronounced as a T.

Weiss in Japanese is "vaisu" or "baisu", schwarz is "shubarutsu" or "shuvarutsu".
>>
>>13986029
Yeah
https://a.uguu.se/kmyptn_DawnLegendoftheGalacticHeroes.mp3
>>
>>13986067
>https://a.uguu.se/kmyptn_DawnLegendoftheGalacticHeroes.mp3

Any chance of getting the rest of this?
>>
>>13986090
http://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Legend-Galactic-Heroes-Vol/dp/B01BPHH9NW
>>
>>13986031
That doesn't matter, it's canonically B because the guy always bites the bait his enemies throw at him despite knowing it's a trap.
>>
>>13985579
At this point some professor or professional translator who is a fan might do one. I don't think anyone in Japan cares.
>>
>>13985417
I'll receive my copy next week too. It'd be nice if someone can post a piece of text to read the translation.
>>
File: 1391963457693.jpg (467 KB, 1191x842) Image search: [Google]
1391963457693.jpg
467 KB, 1191x842
>>13985430
>not being a nonradical feminist
>being energized by other people's negative opinions

shiggy
>>
>>13986171

Got the audiobook and listened to the prologue while going for a walk. Surprised it's vilification of homosexuality in the prologue (though Goldenbaum) is what didn't set the reviewer off instead of the lack of women. I suppose the women thing is a longer issue though (as in running through the whole thing instead of just one mention).

Still, it's a good listen so far and I like the narrator. Just starting the book proper now. I do wish the story had followed Goldenbaum insead of Reinhard though. His reign, it's fascist bent, the secret police and so on sound much more interesting than anything golden boy Reinhard did.
>>
>>13986221
Who gives a shit about faggots? They're still men and can just pretend to be straight and get the full backing of the patriarchy. Besides, homosexuality is a lifestyle choice they can change any time. That's not the case of women who face misogynistic oppression from you male swine on a daily basis.
>>
>>13985417
>tfw expecting bills but getting LOTGH instead
>>
>>13986221
>Surprised it's vilification of homosexuality in the prologue (though Goldenbaum)
I don't see how this is supposed to make the novel itself homophobic. Goldenbaum is hardly a figurehead of virtue.
>>
I'm reading it right now, and let me just say this:
The prologue could not possibly be more heavy handed in the Nazi imagery if it tried.
>>
>>13986392

It isn't. The article author took a lack of female characters as a problem though, so I was just pointing out that I was surprised he didn't pick up on that and make an issue of it.
>>
What I always liked about LoGH is that while it has very few female characters, each one of those characters is, forgive my pun, a character. They are not there just to fill female characters quota, they actually do shit that matters and achieve things.

That said, having this atrocious currency exchange rates in Russia now is excrutiating. I really want to read this, but even Kindle edition costs nearly 2/3 of my daily wage.
>>
>>13986009
Are still pretending that we care about this review?
>>
>>13986221
>Surprised it's vilification of homosexuality
>from Space Hitler

GEE, I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY
>>
Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>13986006
>>13986940
>plots
>aging poorly
How can anyone be so fucking stupid?
>>
a glorious new dawn of shitposting is upon us.

Also now I need to debate whether to buy now, or just wait later while burning cash on cardboard crack.

I have my faith in the fandom to browbeat Viz senseless about completing the series. The LoGH legion is bigger than most people give it credit for.
>>
The reviewer knows nothing, had they actually read the book they have found females like Annerose, Frederica Greenhill are in fact very important characters to the plot, and Frederica is in the military.

It's just a femenazi trying to impose her narrow view on sci-fi. She'd probably have liked the manga version where Adrian Rubinsky is a female. She's just an ignorant SJW that hates that her opinion holds no value.
>>
>>13986009
May i have a link to this infamous review?
>>
>>13985417
I'm making my way through it, it's really enjoyable. On the one hand, it's not a replacement for the anime series--like Anon mentioned above, some favorite characters like Dusty don't appear, at least not in the first novel. But on the other hand, there's even more background on the universe and setting. There's one passage that describes how using human servants is actually a mark of "conspicuous consumption" (so to speak) on Odin because you're paying for people to do jobs drones could do. It's really fascinating. I hope the books are selling well, this one is great. My only problem is, as I've mentioned before, Huddleston's translation can be a bit stiff at times, and there are a handful of copy errors, like one misspelling of armada as "srmada." But other than that, yeah, great stuff.
>>
>>13988408
Seems its selling well
https://twitter.com/Haikasoru/status/707999169672183808
>>
>>13985994
Yang had another sidekick at Astarte, an asian named Lao, but it seems as if the legends of "Attenborough was anime-only" are true.
>>
Is it already out in the US or are some shops selling it early? Not coming out in the UK until the end of the month, going to grab LOGH along with Nichijou volume 1.

Anyone else planning a rewatch of the series this month?
>>
>>13985417
It's interesting how Iserlohn isn't covered in liquid metal and the Thor Hammer is a battery of laser cannons rather than a single fuckhuge beam weapon.
>>
I'm making my way through it, it's really enjoyable. On the one hand, it's not a replacement for the anime series--like Anon mentioned above, some favorite characters like Dusty don't appear, at least not in the first novel. But on the other hand, there's even more background on the universe and setting. There's one passage that describes how using human servants is actually a mark of "conspicuous consumption" (so to speak) on Odin because you're paying for people to do jobs drones could do. It's really fascinating. I hope the books are selling well, this one is great. A web of political infighting on both sides slowly reveals itself, but Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the fan-favorite anime adaptation). Huddleston's translation can be a bit stiff at times, and there are a handful of copy errors, like one misspelling of armada as "srmada." It doesn't help that Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>13988562
Attenborough is an unimportant side character in vol. 2 and only becomes important from 3 and on. The anime replaces a lot of unimportant characters who show up only once with important ones.
>>
>>13989450
Ahh. Hmm, I guess we'll have to wait and see for some Attenborough action.
>>
>>13985994
He will appear but his role is much much minor.
>>
Who was Dusty again?
>>
File: 294px-Dusty_2.jpg (33 KB, 294x220) Image search: [Google]
294px-Dusty_2.jpg
33 KB, 294x220
>>13991075

The green-haired guy that was always with Yang.
>>
>>13988728
I ordered it on bookdepository via amazon and they sent my copy five days ago (march 9).
>>
>>13989445

You horrible fuck don't make this a meme.
>>
Reminder that Honor Harrington is better than LoGH because it has women in it.
>>
>>13991107
A web of political infighting on both sides slowly reveals itself, but Huddleston's prose is so slavishly devoted to Tanaka's original Japanese text that the path towards the meat of the book quickly becomes a slog. It's easy to lose interest long before the action picks up (no thanks to the unnecessary, lengthy prologue, absent in the fan-favorite anime adaptation). The stately, detached tone is preserved intact, making this novel two parts future history and one part military sci-fi. The somewhat floral word choice is also original, as is the elaborate syntax. Unfortunately, the odd placement and frequent lack of dialog tags, the more frequent use of passive voice, and the epithets used to describe characters are also preserved, in violation of English-language novel conventions. The proofreading is also patchy at times, leading me to wonder whether certain sentences are meant to be the way they are or whether they simply weren't edited for fluency. Unforgivably, there are typographical errors ("srmada") that simply should never have made it into a final draft, let alone a published book.There are also some features, preserved in the translation, that date this book/series quite severely: the discussion of some technologies, and the approach that the future civilizations have to gender equality. Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly; with its overwhelmingly male-dominated story and shallow female characters, it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>13991153

Yes I know fuck you.
>>
>>13991107
>>13991212

You're only making it more tempting for him to continue. Tempting me to start doing it, too.
>>
>ahle heinessen made a spaceship over 100km long and able to fit 400,000 people in it by himself in a cave
>out of one solid chunk of dry ice
>>
>>13991542
Tanaka's nearly 35-year-old plot has aged rather poorly... it's hard to find a place for this series among today's more nuanced SF.
>>
>>13991542
Space McGuyver
>>
>>13991555
>>13991584
>>13991542
The contrivance isn't so much that Heinessen pulled it off, but that the tools were there for him in the first place.
>>
>>13991075
Foppery and Whim
>>
>>13991542
How do you make a spaceship out of ice in the first place
>>
>>13995877
You slap engines on one end, and carve out some form of habitation in the other.

Don't ask me how the thermodynamics of it all works out, I never really enjoyed Physics myself.
>>
>>13995880
>>13995877
to be fair this is something the book talks about a little more, heinessen makes the shit with the intention that it will last only long enough to get somewhere else where they can build real space ships. the reason he uses ice is because his people are all slaves on a mining ice world, and the empire has no reason not to just start massacring them if valuable minerals or metals go missing
>>
>>13995893
I mean, honestly as long as you can install the systems onto it, it shouldn't really make a difference what the substrate is. You could be traveling on a large asteroid for all I care.

I just don't want to think too hard about it and then find out it doesn't work in real life, as many things turn out when you think too hard about it. Heat in space is some really weird scary shit, and ice ships just makes it all weirder and scarier.
>>
>>13985430
what did she even get mad at?
>>
>>13995900

He could have made it out of pykrete, which the Brits considered making an aircraft carrier out of in WWII because it's ice immune to heat. The guy advocating this demonstrated it apparently dropping a lump of it in to a bath that Churchill was taking and watching it not melt. It's ice mixed with sawdust or wood pulp though and needs extra material. The book does say he was just trying to get out of range at sub-light speed and heat redistribution (from the ship to elsewhere so as not to show up on anyone's sight) were his main worries, while space was cold enough that ice melting wasn't an issue.
>>
>>13995908
A 35 year old book about the military of not-prussia in space is "male-dominated"
>>
>>13987381

His complaint was that the women were shallow, not that they had insubstantial roles. Which Anne-Rose is. She basically exists as the Uncle Ben to Siegfried's (and to a lesser extent Kircheis') Spider-man. She has no real character of her own. The book is still fine, but it's a valid complaint I suppose.
>>
>>13995931
The problem I have in mind is that in space, it's not easy to get rid of heat. Being in a vacuum you're limited to radiating it, or I guess venting away a material that you dumped the heat into.

So when you have a giant ice mass, there's only so much heat you can dump into it before it starts melting, and it's not like you can just eject that heat elsewhere.

Or so I understand it.

I studied Computer Science, but physics was always for me a foreign language that made no fucking sense whatsoever outside of the basic formulas. I'm not even sure if I'm right in recognizing this to be a problem.
>>
>>13991083

That is some dusty-blue ass hair if i ever saw it, not green.
>>
>>13995948

Well the heat issue is the one thing the book says Heinessen worried about, so he wouldn't be caught more than anything if I recall, since heat is easy to spot in space. It doesn't say how he addressed it, but he did somehow. I'm just guessing pykrete as a vaguely plausible means.
>>
>>13995958
In terms of raising the heat tolerances of the ice it sounds legit.

Though pykrete does require some sort of cooling measure so maybe it isn't.

Really I don't know why I'm so concerned about it, I've told myself numerous times always take LoGH's science with a grain of salt, it's a backdrop to the historical fiction narrative. But still, it's there, and much like walls in space and other silliness it's best left filed under "that's bullshit, but I'll believe it."
>>
Just started reading it now, I'm glad I can say the fears about the translation being bad were significantly overblown.
>>
>>13991555
The more I read that, the more I think about the statement. Is sci-fi more nuanced now? He'll how many Hugo winners are still writing regularly these days? Most of them are dead, Harlan Ellison lives on through sheer grumpiness (and he just does articles every so often now). Whenever I think of sci-fi, I can't help but think that 90% if it that was any good stopped being written after the 70s.
>>
>>13996448
>Is sci-fi more nuanced now? He'll how many Hugo winners are still writing regularly these days? Most of them are dead,
Precisely. The deaths of all those stupid white men weakened the grip that the patriarchy had on the genre, freeing women to finally be able to write the masterpieces that had been supressed by a worldwide misogynistic conspiracy for so long.
>>
>>13996487
There were good female SF writers. They mostly wrote in the 70same too
>>
>>13996487
Anything's an improvement over Ready Player One
>>
>>13996487

A woman wrote literally the world's first sci-fi novel (Frankenstein)
>>
>>13996002
Me too. Got past the prologue in one sitting and it wasn't lengthy or a slog.
>>
Forgive me if this seems indulgent, but I just posted a fairly lengthy amazon review--I hope it's a good counterpoint to that silly Publisher's Weekly review.

https://www.amazon.com/review/RB1A7VIGJO4K8/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=1421584948
>>
>>13989445
>and there are a handful of copy errors,

Thank God, that wasn't just my copy then. Not dealbreaker levels of fuck-up, but still a couple of kind of awkward goofs.
>>
File: 1456103656612.gif (761 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1456103656612.gif
761 KB, 500x375
>>13996487
>salty sad puppy posts in thread

keep cryin, bitch
>>
>>13986221
it's an old book written by a Japanese man, what do they expect?
The amount of fanfics and porn kircheis and Reinhard got should be enough as a revenge
>>
>>13986221
>>13996857
Also, Rudolf is really one of the characters portrayed as undoubtedly villainous, Reinhard goes on a lot about how he wants to be different from Goldenbaum. So a 'bad guy' being portrayed as homophobic wouldn't really irritate most people of that particular political bent.
>>
In case anyone's still wondering about the dry ice ship.

>Heinessen chose a gargantuan mass of dry ice that was entirely buried in a certain valley. Its dimensions were 122 kilometers in length, forty kilometers in width, and thirty kilometers in height. After hollowing out the center, he made a propulsion area and a living area, and soon it began to look like it could fly. The most difficult part of the plan was the question of how to get materials to actually build a spaceship. It was no good trying to obtain materials illegally, for if the Bureau for the Maintenance of Public Order got wind of it, they would simply arrest and slaughter everyone involved.

>However, this world also had natural resources that would not draw the bureau’s attention. In the absolute zero cold of outer space, there was no fear of dry ice sublimating into gas. If they could just isolate the heat that would be generated by the propulsion and living areas, a considerably long-term flight would be possible. During that time, they could search asteroids and uninhabited planets for the materials needed to build an interstellar spaceship. There was no need to keep flying in the same ship in which they had departed.

>And so their glittering white spaceship of dry ice was christened the Ion Fazegas, named after the boy who had made that toy boat out of ice. Four hundred thousand men and women entered that vessel and escaped from the Altair system. This was the first step on a journey that historians would later dub the Long March of 10,000 Light-Years.

>After shaking off the ruthless pursuit of the Galactic Empire’s military, they hid themselves beneath the surface of a nameless planet and there constructed eighty interstellar spacecraft. Then they set out into the inner core of the galaxy.
>>
File: Masouusversion.jpg (10 KB, 164x176) Image search: [Google]
Masouusversion.jpg
10 KB, 164x176
>>13996727
cool post shitposter-kun :^)
>>
>>13986067
>>13986090
What was this?
>>
File: Ursula_Le_Guin_Harlan_Ellison.jpg (2 MB, 1848x1848) Image search: [Google]
Ursula_Le_Guin_Harlan_Ellison.jpg
2 MB, 1848x1848
>>13996448
It's amazing just how grumpy he is now and he's been that way as long as I've known of him.
>>
>>13997262
>In the absolute zero cold of outer space, there was no fear of dry ice sublimating into gas

YEAH BUT THE HEAT OF THE PROPULSION AND EVERYTHING ELSE THO.
>>
>>13998713
Literally the next line you nigger
>>
File: it's gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg (58 KB, 379x384) Image search: [Google]
it's gayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.jpg
58 KB, 379x384
>>13996448
>Is sci-fi more nuanced now?

No, it's just more contemporary and realistic. There aren't big space epics with larger than life characters because everyone wants muh realism and shades of grey.

It's how people bitch about Superman without reading him ever.
>>
>>13998778
>It's how people bitch about Superman without reading him ever.
Superman is the most boring character ever because he's infallible and all-powerful and can solve any problem instantly with no drama or difficulties, who the hell likes this pointless trash besides losers who want to power level wank?

yfw you realize that the demonbane haters and superman haters use the exact same argument
>>
>>13996970

Nazis can be sexist and racist all they want, but they get their due consequences. However, if the good guy says anything untoward, it's the author projecting his sexist way.
>>
I have to know:
How did they localize Flagship Tlahuixcalpantlecuhtli?
>>
>>13998887
We don't know yet, it only shoes up in the gaidens.
>>
>>13991555
Too bad he's no different 35 years later today as proven by Arslan.
>>
Is Legend of Galactic Heroes even sci-fi? Seems more like space opera to me.
>>
>>14000529
That's implying that space opera isn't sci fi.

Which you'd only do if you're some kind of pretentious asshole who needs every tale they read to have some sort of thought provoking element.

I mean I tend to write off space opera for being eye rollingly grandiose but it's still part of the SF experience.
>>
>>13998778

Ok here's the problem with that.

Generally when people bitch about Superman, the first thing they're told to read usually is All-Star Superman. Yes it's an amazing comic, but it is the LAST thing you want to read if you want someone to dispell their issues with the character. That's a comic that utterly embraces the idea that he is Alien Jesus, and that having such a person in the world is a beautiful thing.
>>
>>14000537

I'd say they were different yes. Star Wars is clearly space opera (or space fantasy as it used to be called) and that neither is better or worse than the other, just different. Legend of Galactic Heroes itself won't change or be any worse for being space opera, but I'd say it pretty clearly is that and not sci-fi.

>>14000550

Didn't it also introduce several elements to the character? Like the S symbol being Kryptonian and shit? I hate that. I want it to go back to being something Ma Kent made up to keep her son safe. Seems much more emotive to me.
>>
>>14000568
That's a very arbitrary distinction to separate a subgenre from its parent genre, though.

That's like saying metal isn't rock because it's different.
>>
>>13988747
Personally, was also surprised to see how the Artemis Necklace in this version was a lynchpin of the Alliance's defenses as opposed to the anime turning it into the shiny new gun of an up-jumped Imperial politico who thought he could get the big boys to step off from his operation with it.

That said, about halfway through and liking it. Some of the prose gets purple enough as to be a little silly (some of the physical descriptions of Reinhard come to mind for one of the lighter examples), but with the setting of the story - particularly the Empire - there's something sort of fitting about the almost anachronistically flowery descriptions.
>>
>>14000579

Science fiction concentrates on the science part, space opera has shit set in space. It's a pretty firm and obvious difference despite your objections and perceived elitism on the part of one.
>>
>>14000588
That's an ignorant simplification of both.

Science fiction isn't beholden to focus on the science that appears within it, it can just as well be a means to an end in exploring a life where such and such thing existed as it can be a thorough investigation into scientific concepts. If focusing on the science were what defined SF, I would in fact argue a work like Yukikaze doesn't meet the definition, as it utilizes its setting to explore philosophical issues regarding what it means to be human.

Space opera itself is also not simply "shit set in space," the crucial trait is in scale. The setting needs to span large distances, the plot has to be dramatic, there has to be a sense of grandness and melodrama to the whole thing to truly be considered space opera. To think of it another way, a large scale soap opera (hence "space opera," a term originally meant to mock these sorts of works for essentially being soap operas in space and possessing a sci-fi flair.) The scale and melodramatic aspects are what separate it from any other case of spacefaring fiction, such as Alien, while still being part of the science fiction umbrella as the grand scale and melodramatic narrative are enabled by some form of fictional science; a means to an end.

Hard science fiction and the technothriller genre tend to focus more on those science aspects with varying amounts of realism employed, counter to stuff like space opera, social science fiction, science fantasy, cosmic/weird fiction and the like which focus on the people aspects.
>>
>>14000670

> That's an ignorant simplification of both.

Congratulations. Did the one sentence summary of both together clue you in? Of course it was a simplification, it was only one sentence long. In a fluff argument on an image board.
>>
File: 1389847325446.jpg (25 KB, 400x489) Image search: [Google]
1389847325446.jpg
25 KB, 400x489
>>14000694
YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE AN EDUCATED ARGUMENT WITH ME AND YOU'RE GOING TO ENJOY IT, ANON.

CONSTRUCTIVE DISCOURSE IS A PRIVILEGE YOU SHOULD LEARN TO LOVE.
>>
>>13985417
ours came in the mail today. She's not home so I get to read it first.
>>
>>14000588
>Science fiction concentrates on the science part,

By this logic, the bulk of the works of Philip K. Dick aren't science fiction.

And in some circles, that latter point will make you some enemies.
>>
>>14000841
Behead those who insult PKD
>>
>>14000670
I think the sticking point is that science fiction/scifi can be both umbrella terms and subgenres of the same. The problem is, as >>14000841 alludes to, is that 'focus on science' is problematic, in that most stories always have a prime focus on character and plot, and regardless of how heavy the scifi elements are, there will usually be some sacrifices in the science areas to make a better story. I've recently finished the Foundation Trilogy, and while it has a stronger 'science' aspect than something like Star Wars, the plot still lives and breathes with its characters.

I'm sure if a 1 for 1 adaption, the most perfect adaption you could imagine, was made today, there would still be plenty of people complaining about the realism of x or y (realistic space combat, human evolution, etc.). Admittedly I'm not the most well versed in classic sci-fi, but all sci-fi comes to a point where '>muh realism' can be applied as a shitpost. In the end, it's still fiction, not an instruction manual, and despite being on somewhat of a sliding scale of realism vs spectacle, there's not a whole lot to be gained by subdividing it further.

I'm a sucker for constructive discourse
>>
>>14001944
>'focus on science' is problematic, in that most stories always have a prime focus on character and plot, and regardless of how heavy the scifi elements are
God it's like "it's not /m/ because it's not 'about the mecha'" all over again.
>>
Torrent when ?
>>
Why are they called the Free Planet Alliance, surely the fact that they have a permanent central government overseeing all the member planets would mean that Alliance is less suitable a term than, say, Confederation or Union.
>>
>>14003644
FPC isnt as catchy
>>
>>14003296
After you upload it.
>>
>>14003975
I have a drm free epub but I'm not uploading it because the series needs the sales if the rest of it is going to get licensed.
>>
>>14004095
Then why are you asking for a torrent?
>>
>>14004930
I'm not the guy who was asking for it, I was just taunting him.
>>
>>14000587
I liked how Kastrop's rebellion was over and done with in about the span of a single page. With that said, it was a smart move of the anime to expand it and use it to introduce both the Artemis Necklace and directional Seffle particles since they both feature prominently later.
>>
>>14005141
The Seffl particles are one translation I can't help feel a little irked by. Yeah, it sounds appropriately German, but "Zephyr" sounded more badass.
>>
>>14005161
even in the show they are inconsistent on whether it's "seffle" or "zephyr"
>>
I JUST started watching the original series on youtube.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to get into this show. I'm really liking it. It's like the space opera I've always wanted.
>>
>>14005198

kek I posted before I saw the debate above.

As a long time reader of Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Arthur C. Clark (as if that gives me any "credentials" on the matter) I'd call LoGH space opera.

And I don't see anything wrong with that.
>>
>>14005141
What really surprised me is the backstory for Yang that we originally did not get until Spiral Labyrinth in the anime was spelt out right there in the first chapter along with Reinhard's. Why did the anime take so long to get there?
>>
I techinally triple dipped for volume 1, bought a physical copy at B&N, digital ebook via Kindle and signed up for audible for the audiobook version.
>>
>>14004095
Fuck you nigger I live in a third world shithoe, won't be able to get it till my trip to italy, if they even sell it there
Please
>>
>>14000579

Where does it stop being arbitrary, though? You wouldn't say that Rock is Jazz, Blues, or Swing, even though it evolved from them.

You certainly wouldn't say that metal is Swing.
>>
>>14004095
Just upload it like 1-2 years later for free advertising. Neil Gaiman already proved it works consistently.
>>
>>13997262
It was still bullshit, but no more than all the 'strategies' and 'tactics'.
>>
>>14005198
>watching the original series on youtube
:-( Don't do that to yourself.
>>
>>13986636
Why not just pirate it than? There'll probably be a place that has it available
>>
Here's a question I have. I'm reading the book now and I'm doing my best to not just see the anime in my head. And I don't mean that the designs of the ships and the costumes and locations weren't perfect, but that I'm trying to see it as if I had never seen the show, but was familiar with how everything should look. I can't think of Reinhard as anybody but the animated version of that character. So basically, who would you cast as the main characters? That's what I'm having trouble with. The setting and to a degree the ships I'm okay with picturing, but I just can't help but see all the characters in their animated forms.
>>
>>14009275
I can't really blame you for that, the anime did a pretty good job of capturing Reinhard's description from the books, right down to the icy eyes.
>>
>>14005839
if you have the internet you can pay like 8 bucks to amazon and get the kindle edition which you can read online. not as good as the hard copy but hey better than waiting till italy and it supports the translation monetarily!
>>
>>14009303
Yeah, the characters are so perfectly drawn, visually and with their characterization. But I want to picture a white actor in the part instead of a hyper stylized animated character, hahah. Except Yang.
>>
>>14005272
>Why did the anime take so long to get there?

Probably couldn't figure out a good opportunity to work it in sooner.
You kind of have to work in Reinhard's backstory early since it defines a lot of about what drives him. Yang's is one they didn't need AS badly in the animated format to get across the kind of guy he is.
>>
>>14005272
imagine if you started up what is a pretty slow-paced anime and the first episode is "roughly 800 years before the plot begins, the calendar changed from AD to SE..." and then episode 2 picks up with "Yang's dad was a merchant by trade, but really loved antiques..."

not that it isn't good story or characterization, it is. but i think the sort of in media res approach that the anime takes is more suited for it's medium, while the book can afford to give us the prologue in the literal prologue, and give some backstory as characters are introduced.
>>
File: postcard_gandam2.jpg (192 KB, 668x1022) Image search: [Google]
postcard_gandam2.jpg
192 KB, 668x1022
Is it just me or do these ships look like mechanical space whales?
>>
>>13986171
>If only he was here
>Then Reinhard wouldn't be partying around like a frat boy
>>
>>14005272
>Why did the anime take so long to get there?

The music cost.

Yes it's public domain, but the artists that performed it have to be paid. And there was a fuckton of music done.
>>
>>14009335
That's a nice idea actually, can I get that on an iPad ?
>>
>>14010101
I think there's a Kindle ipad app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle/id405399194?mt=12

It's pretty useful, you might be surprised at the public-domain stuff they have for free. It's mainly old historical books, but I've got some pulpy horror short stories on there for free too. To get a lot of books for free you need Kindle Unlimited, which costs money, so I wouldn't recommend that, but you can get a lot of nice stuff with just plain old Kindle.
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.