[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the "realest" robot series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 20
File: 08th ms.jpg (58 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
08th ms.jpg
58 KB, 640x360
I was thinking what /m/ series had pretty much normal people pilot giant robots that don't really have weird haxxy bs like Zeta's Ghost Shield.

Pic kind of related
>>
Pat's Labour anon

And VOTOMS
>>
FLAG. Or maybe Robotics;Notes.
>>
>>13978624
Real by what standard?
Internal consistency?
Real life plausibility?
Least amount of occult or fantasy elements?
Grittiness?
Robot designs?

The answer is VOTOMS
>>
>>13978624
giant robots aint real
and they never will be
>>
>>13978624
08th MS Team takes place in the same universe and timeline as Zeta so I don't see how you could think it's any more realistic
>>
ZZ it is really real
>>
>08th MS
>realistic

I love this meme.
>>
>>13978733
b-b-but they VIETNAM
>>
>>13978624

They're all silly because these robots would fall over, get stuck in the ground, etc.

I guess, in terms of grit, VOTOMS? But even that's a bit goofy. Those things sake on all surfaces like it's nothing.
>>
File: banner_203.jpg (65 KB, 600x240) Image search: [Google]
banner_203.jpg
65 KB, 600x240
>>13978624
Obviously Patlabor.
>>
>>13978624
ガンダム鉄純血孤児は筋金入りの本物のロボットアニメのはずが、永井と岡田はスーパーロボットを望んでいました。!!!
>>
File: mhftz6rRFN1r31iq3o.gif (982 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
mhftz6rRFN1r31iq3o.gif
982 KB, 500x375
>>13978624
>Pic kind of related
>>
>>13978917
Is this seriously in 08th?
He would be done in by the sound alone
>>
>>13978968
BUT At least he's not a NEWTYPE TEENAGER right??????????? i hate those >_<
>>
>>13978756

> In terms of grit, FLAG maybe?

It's this. Another Takahashi vehicle, but this time far more realistic than even VOTOMs.
>>
>>13978720
the only one and number one
>>
Getter Lagann
>>
File: giphy (5).gif (949 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
giphy (5).gif
949 KB, 500x300
>>13978968
The best part is they go out and demonstrate people needing to have hearing protection for those kinds of weapons.

Shiro Amada has plot armor that rivals Kira Yamato.
>>
Girls und Panzer
>>
>>13979098
The show where everyone uses magic carbon coating so they can shoot huge cannons at each other without any injuries more serious than broken glasses?
>>
>>13978917
Did he seriously just point blank dodge a fucking giant MS bullet?

I will strangle the next person who says this series is realistic

When was the last time you saw a super robot pilot dodge a shot from a giant robot
>>
The one where mechs don't exist due to not being practical lol. Alternatively ZZ because the intro says its real
>>
>>13978917
Not one, but two shots. Oh god, what were they thinking? Should've had the gun jam or some shit
>>
Gasaraki has the most realistic mechs if you ignore how they were made, but their purpose and usage is fucking spot on. Patlabor is also pretty fucking real.
>>
File: Arbitate F44A Crab Gunner.jpg (916 KB, 914x1024) Image search: [Google]
Arbitate F44A Crab Gunner.jpg
916 KB, 914x1024
>>13978624
>this thread
>not one mention of Dougram or Xabungle.

Slack jawed faggotry.
>>
Probably something like Gasaraki, VOTOMS, Patlabor. Nothing else springs to mind. There's probably some old series that captures exactly what you want but I haven't seen it. Key the Metal Idol to an extent, but that's really pushing the term "mecha." Maybe something like Appleseed or Dominion Tank Police?
>>
Dougram
>>
>>13979169
Dougram yes Xabungle no. Xabngle's way too goofy, it's not realistic in the slightest.
>>
File: capricotype01.jpg (155 KB, 717x741) Image search: [Google]
capricotype01.jpg
155 KB, 717x741
>>13979276
>No super powers of any kind
>all machines merely gasoline powered
>Vast majority of WMs are meant for excavation as opposed to solely combat

It's a proto real robot setting. The comedy is irrelevant to this.
>>
>>13979147
That would've been so cool if the gun jammed... Damn. I'm always gonna think of this now
>>
>>13979169
RIP Cochrane's Goliaths.

...and anyone else who gets that is a washed up loser like me.
>>
File: Soltic H8.jpg (592 KB, 940x1200) Image search: [Google]
Soltic H8.jpg
592 KB, 940x1200
>>13979723
I don't like BT.
>>
>>13979284
Are you serious? Xabungle is slapstick. The robots have no realistic elements to them whatsoever. Gasoline is just for cool factor. They're driven with a steering wheel (like Boss Borot - a JOKE robot).
>>
>>13978624
Patlabor. Labors are relatively small overgrown forklifts, are treated like machines with hard physical limits and pilot skill is critical while not magically making labors infinitely more powerful or something.
They also fight kaiju sometimes.
>>13978868
That OP is fucking fantastic.
>>
>>13980432
>treated like machines with hard physical limits and pilot skill is critical while not magically making labors infinitely more powerful or something. They also fight kaiju sometimes.

Congrats, you just described 99% of mecha
>>
>>13980454
I described how most mecha tries to present itself, not how most mecha ends up working.
>>
>>13978681
Depending on the standard, VOTOMS actually MIGHT lose this, thanks to the more handwaved/fantastical aspects of its setting.

Just on the strength of its mechs, it IS a definite frontrunner though.
>>
>>13980432

FLAG is all that without the Kaiju. Or the entertaining and effective but tragically overlooked team of police officers. The HAVWCs are almost definitely smaller than the average labor too (about 5 meters high at a guess), completely unspecial and the pilots are all military pilots who receive training, disciple and physiological debriefing following every mission.

And unlike the usual Takahashi affair, it has no mysticism. It's not actually a great show mind, but it is the most realistic mecha regardless.
>>
>>13980467
Then thank you for providing another example. I also just kind of assumed that OP was asking for good shows.
>>
>>13980459
No, my post is correct. Sorry buddy, why don't you actually watch mecha instead of pretending you have?
>>
>>13980459
You did both, dumbass.
>>
>>13980564
Oh no anon, I'm going to have to go to a burn ward now.
>>
>>13978917
2nd half was different than 1st half,and it is perfect example of that.
>>
>>13980467
>And unlike the usual Takahashi affair, it has no mysticism.

Because it was subtly shown in the form of
"cultural things" like the child goddess which leads to former child goddess's dreams and hope for the country.IT was significant thematic part from Akagi's side.
>>
File: PjAtGFd.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
PjAtGFd.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
>>13978624
Dai-Guard, if only because it drives the point home early in the series that giant robots are impractical as fuck.
>>
>>13980432
My personal favorite, but I liked all the TV and 2nd OVA OP/EDs.
>>
>>13981151
1st half was best half.
>>
>>13980278
I explained the realistic elements already. Take away all comedy and slapstick and Xabungle would be a relatively gritty, straightforward series about a bunch of desert vagabonds and their Walker Machines.

Walker Machines have absolutely nothing actually special about them besides hovernozzles and even that's a stretch. They're earthmovers and excavators with guns strapped onto them, with the three exceptions of the Xabungle, Galliar and Blockary. Besides this and a non-serious attitude towards everything there's nothing about the setting that isn't "real robot". There's no psychic powers, no mysterious magic, just goofy antics, and these still don't alter the setting at large.

You are looking at the atmosphere and mood too much. Take these away, and what are you left with that other real robot series don't do? Do not judge "super" and "real" by mood.
>>
Planetes
>>
File: m8.png (108 KB, 279x225) Image search: [Google]
m8.png
108 KB, 279x225
>>13981579
>You are looking at the atmosphere and mood too much.
No, you're just making the most terrible argument imaginable. You think Xabungle is real robot series because "Walker Machines have absolutely nothing actually special about them"? What super robots are you even familiar with in the first place? What do you mean by "special"? You're not counting the absurdities like being diesel powered and operating exactly like a car as if they were all Boss Borot? The same robots that operate on Loony Tunes physics, hopping around like giant robot Gummi Bears? The cars that fly through the air and combine into a giant robot? That's real robot to you? What the hell do you think real robot means? I'll tell you since you seem confused, but it's a series where the series is military or similarly based and there is a war or ongoing conflict using robots like they were on the same level as tanks or jets in a real military. No, Xabungle and WMs are not real robot. That's ridiculous on every level and you should be ashamed. Me thinks you should watch more mecha.
>>
>>13978624
Megazone 23 is a cyberpunk mecha with transforming motorcycle mechs,it's kinda doable, but there's this plot twist...
>>
>>13978993
Are you sure
Are you really sure he isn't a newtype
I mean really are you sure I mean look at that gif
He's fucking dodging bullets
ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE ANON
>>
>>13981639
>What the hell do you think real robot means? I'll tell you since you seem confused, but it's a series where the series is military or similarly based and there is a war or ongoing conflict using robots like they were on the same level as tanks or jets in a real military.

it begins
>>
>>13981639
>What super robots are you even familiar with in the first place?
Not enough! Argument made irrelevant here but whatever.

>What do you mean by "special"?
No "super" powers (e.g. mysterious power sources or god particles, this is the main thing about gasoline), completely vulnerable to/only really use conventional weaponry (cases such as Gallia's boomerang notwithstanding), nothing really making them distinct from normal vehicles besides legs and hovernozzles.

>You're not counting the absurdities like being diesel powered and operating exactly like a car as if they were all Boss Borot?
No, I wasn't. I was considering this as a comedy aspect and so largely irrelevant to the argument. You can make any situation look funny by adding slapstick; I am arguing that, void of slapstick, there's nothing about the series that isn't "real robot".

>The same robots that operate on Loony Tunes physics, hopping around like giant robot Gummi Bears?
See prev answer.

>The cars that fly through the air and combine into a giant robot?
ZZ combines, Zeta had transforming MAs out the ass, etc. Also prev answer.

I don't think of "real robot" as in "military" anything, just as in robots that largely have nothing really flashy about them besides being robots. I still think you are paying too much attention to how they are depicted rather than what they are.

WMs are maintenance heavy earthmovers, largely use 'conventional' weaponry, are accessible and usable by pretty much anybody who can drive a car, and basically have nothing in them besides legs and hovernozzles that couldn't actually exist. Most don't even have hands! They're just big claws, or in the case of WMs like the Promeus just napalm nozzles. If you replaced every WM with a car with roughly the same combat capabilities it'd be hard to tell the difference. There's probably some lapse in logic on my end here anyway.
>>
>>13981730
Not that guy but the abilities of the robot have nothing to do with whether the show is real robot or not
>>
Oh yeah, also I forgot that if you considered Dougram's high jumps and various Gundam jumping/flying to be "real robot", wouldn't it be odd to consider Xabungle's "gummi bear physics"? And furthermore, doesn't this go into the "depiction" thing I mentioned? A beheading where the beheaded complains about beheading after the act is still a beheading; it's just been cartoonified to the point we can laugh.

That's my logic here with Xabungle. Minus the slapstick I don't see what doesn't fall within "real robot" conventions, which are usually tenuous at best anyway.

If I had that picture of the Xabungle cast and Dougram's together I'd post it. I mentioned "proto real robot" for a reason!
>>
File: latest.jpg (43 KB, 315x230) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
43 KB, 315x230
>>13981730
You really, really, really need to watch more mecha. By the way, Gundam has super powers. Neither WMs or Gundam are actually susceptible to conventional weaponry, just giant robot guns or lasers.
>nothing really making them distinct from normal vehicles besides legs and hovernozzles.
Besides being giant fighting robots moving around like humans made up from combined cars?
>ZZ combines
And it's entirely ridiculous. They even do it for absolutely no reason other than to do it.
>Zeta had transforming MAs out the ass
Twisting around parts is a lot different than combining cars to form giant robots

But you're missing the entire point. All mecha is ridiculous. Gundam makes absolutely no sense and has the internal consistency of jello. Most robots do not use a mystic power source, but instead either use nuclear energy or a newly discovered source of energy that is comparable. The only real super/real difference between something like Gundam and Tetsujin is that Gundam is about the robot military where robots shoot each other en masse on the battlefield like they were infantry while Tetsujin was a military robot weapon but the series has no military context to it. Shotaro isn't a soldier like Amuro.
>>
>>13981795
>If I had that picture of the Xabungle cast and Dougram's together I'd post it. I mentioned "proto real robot" for a reason!

They both came out after Gundam.
>>
File: Immagine.png (441 KB, 634x477) Image search: [Google]
Immagine.png
441 KB, 634x477
>real robot
>>
File: tumblr_m030g0H3CQ1qgpnw1o1_1280.png (356 KB, 720x527) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m030g0H3CQ1qgpnw1o1_1280.png
356 KB, 720x527
>>13981639
>I'll tell you since you seem confused, but it's a series where the series is military or similarly based and there is a war or ongoing conflict using robots like they were on the same level as tanks or jets in a real military.

By that definition Hayato's Super Robot Army are real robots despite having Super Robot in the name.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>realest robot
>>
>>13981832
By your logic Super Robot Wars doesn't have any real robots. Don't be stupid, it's embarrassing.
>>
>>13981788
That's a good point. I did also mention the border between super and real robot being a little sketchy.

I still think this is a matter that boils down to depiction. Psyco Gundam transformed into what, by all accounts, is a flying tower but we mostly take it seriously. Xabungle forms from the hopper and trailer, and Galliar from the Galee Wheel and Hover, but we don't, because the show does not make it serious. Am I still not making sense? Like, if it's retarded fine, but does the logic show at all?

>>13981823
>giant robot guns
That fire regular bullets?
>Besides being giant fighting robots moving around like humans made up from combined cars?
By this logic there should be absolutely no real robot to speak of.
>And it's entirely ridiculous. They even do it for absolutely no reason other than to do it.
But is Gundam not a 'real robot' series? By your definition of usage earlier it is.
>Twisting around parts is a lot different than combining cars to form giant robots
This seems subjective. Aircraft can dock a little for refueling IRL, by these standards here I don't think this goes much further.

>But you're missing the entire point. All mecha is ridiculous
I agree with you on this but by mentioning this at all you void the "real robot" argument here. This thread was about "the realest real robots", I argued that WMs are real by merit not of depiction, but by concept.

>robots do not use a mystic power source
This was only an example I was using. We could talk about sentience, super-materials, pilot-to-machine bonding, etc, but I used only power source as an example.

Dougram has the X nebula, Linear Guns and E-guns, and space warping.
VOTOMs has a god computer and illuminati.
What does Xabungle have besides what is fundamentally comedy?

>>13981831
>>13981839
I mentioned the comedy bit and depiction for a reason.
>>
>>13981842

Except your given definition is exactly what the Tower's forces are

>based around a military (he's the largest resistance force)
>war or ongoing conflict (against the Invaders)
>robots on the same level as tanks or jets (all use mostly basic firearms and aren't powered by getter rays)
>>
There are none, and quite frankly the people who give a shit about robots having to be "real" are as bad to me as the /k/ fags who always make tank threads.
>>
>>13981850
Bro, you're kind of retarded.
>By that definition Hayato's Super Robot Army are real robots despite having Super Robot in the name.
>despite having Super Robot in the name.
It's like Super Robot Wars. It's a SUPER robot war, not a SUPER ROBOT war.
>>
>caring about the distinction
>when the Mazinger Z theme just meant that it's an amazing robot when it said "super robot mazinger z"
>>
>>13981857
I also agree with this.
I only came here initially to see whether Dougram was mentioned at all, but I mentioned Xabungle too and now we are here. I honestly think this whole deal's rather silly.

>>13981860
I'm quoting this just to mention that's another guy you're replying to. I'm out.
>>
Fuck this discussion, "which is the most real" has been done a million times before.

What is the most super robot? As in runs on the highest levels of bullshitium.
>>
>>13981890
Demonbane?
>>
>>13981845
>I still think this is a matter that boils down to depiction
>but let's ignore these depictions
>>13981831
>>13981839

>but does the logic show at all?
Your thinking is showing, but it's not logical.

>That fire regular bullets?
No, it's that the only thing that can hurt one giant robot is another giant robot in these shows. It makes no sense but that's how it is in mecha.

>By this logic there should be absolutely no real robot to speak of.
>But is Gundam not a 'real robot' series? By your definition of usage earlier it is.
No, it follows the logic that the scenario is what makes a series super or real. Because that's how it works. It is not based on robot power levels or some vague perceived plausibility.

>This seems subjective. Aircraft can dock a little for refueling IRL
Mid-air refueling is not the same as forming a giant robot. Fuck off with that noise.

>We could talk about sentience
Like being able to interpret your pilot's will via a steering wheel?
>super-materials
Like what ever these physics defying robots are made of? Or Gundam's special alloys?
>pilot-to-machine bonding
Like who? Also your forgot to mention Gundam's gaining super powers through absorbing newtype powers.

>What does Xabungle have besides what is fundamentally comedy?
Steering wheels, diesel engines, flying cars that combine, surfing giant robots and robots that carry bombs multiple times their size. And no, you cannot just wave all that away by saying "it's comedy". Otherwise you could write off every ridiculous element of every mecha series as "comedy" or "tongue in cheek". That's the show and that is the depiction of the robots. Deal with it.
>>
>>13981890
Gundam
>>
>>13981890
It's Demonbane.
>>
>>13978624
Robot Wars. Because killer RC roombas are the closest we will ever have to mecha.

>>13981890
The Penguin's solid gold tank he made to escape a bank vault in an episode of Adam West Batman.
>>
>>13978741
>Watching 008th MS Team
>It ain't me starts playing
>>
FLAG
>>
File: 4fff9.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
4fff9.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>13981949
>vietnam war OVA
>some folks are born by the senator's sons starts playing
>>
>>13981949
>watching ZZ Gundam
>It ain't anime starts playing
>>
>>13981949
>>13982177
>>13982180
Name 3 flicks, 1 movie, 2 cinemas and as many kino as you can that do this
>>
>>13982186
Mobile Suit Gundam, Double Zeta
Agile Costume Zaku, Double Sigma
Metal Armour Dragonar
>>
File: papa ja nai.jpg (168 KB, 716x1205) Image search: [Google]
papa ja nai.jpg
168 KB, 716x1205
>>13981949
>>13982177
>>13982180
>Watching Valvrave, the episode ends
>It ain't me starts plating
>>
>>13978624
>What the "realest" robot series
Anyone who answered with anything other than FLAG is a fucking pleb who doesn't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>13978624
DOUGRAM
>>13979723
>>>/tg/
CAMERON ST. JAMAIS DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>13982186
>the worst forced meme in /tv/ history is now being repeated on other boards
god fucking damn it
>>
>>13981845

> What does Xabungle have besides what is fundamentally comedy?

It has diesel powered robots driven by a steering wheel. Most tanks, jets etc. are neither diesel powered or drivable by anyone - so why should that be the mark of realism in a giant robot? We've already moved past diesel for a reason in the real world - it's not practical as a means of propulsion for such vehicles.
>>
>>13981463
What was their budget again? Lifetime supply of ducktape and elbow grease?
>>
File: 1g8oAZA.webm (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1g8oAZA.webm
1 MB, 480x270
I didn't want to make a thread just for this, so here it goes.
Can someone give me source for webm related?
>>
>>13983305
Looks like Thunderbolt
>>
>>13983182

> "ducktape"
>>
>>13978691
Not with that shitty attitude, that's for sure.
>>
>>13979169
Xabungle, no, not a chance. Dougram though, yes. Far more realistic than "I can casually dodge bullets" Shiro.

>>13979284
They're controlled by fucking steering wheels, though. Like, literally, steering wheels and maybe two pedals that control entire giant robots through complex actions.

>>13981730
>No "super" powers (e.g. mysterious power sources or god particles, this is the main thing about gasoline)

They do, however, occasionally gain superpowers from the fact that they are in a work of fiction. Remember the Iron Gear's secret technique? Gallier's ICBM juggling?

You can't take a show and its robots completely out of context to determine if they're Real or Super. Xabungle is in no way the Realest show - and god, I can't believe I'm actually arguing this point, but still - because there's way too much shit in it as compared to, I dunno, Dougram.

>>13981890
It's going to have to be something so ludicrously Super, it out-Supers every other thing in its own series. So, I dunno, King Gainer or Tauburn or Bilbine or Daitarn or something.
>>
>>13983305

MSG The Origin, second episode.
>>
>>13983305
Gundam the Origin first episode
>>
Whenever people talk about realism and Gundam they always point to 08th. What about 0080? It's I can't really recall anything that is super out of the question. There no space magic, no pilots that are doing crazy shit on foot. Worst offense is probably sliding Hygogg.
>>
>>13983323
>>
>>13981151
>>13981485
First half (first episode, to be exact) has Shiro wrecking an experimental zaku using a freaking ball.
>>
>>13983425
The show being a was story that's barely about giant robots also helps.
>>
>>13978624
Patlabor?
>>
>>13983529
a war story
>>
>>13983536
Oh and maybe GitS.
>>
>>13978624
DaiGuard
>>
>>13981890
Daimidaler
>>
>>13978720
Yep, it's not actually anime
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 300x400
>>13978691
>never

Bait or retard baha

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Holland_Duell

Also

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuratas
>>
>>13983575
because who isnt from joisey, and become a psychic giant whenever their little sister is shot

best non fictional war dramanovella ever
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.