[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obligatory Fist of the North Star/Mad Max Episodes or Arcs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: REI, what does the scouter say.jpg (137 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
REI, what does the scouter say.jpg
137 KB, 1280x850
We need to work on compiling a list of mecha series that have crazy punk biker dudes for an episode or two.

>Tekkaman Blade
>Blue Comet SPT Layzner
>Metal Armor Dragonar
>Armored Trooper VOTOMS

What else is there?
>>
G Gundam and Gundam X. Also, do Reboot, Carranger and Gingaman count?
>>
>>13972854

I would say that tokushit counts.
>>
>>13972815

This is basically every comic, cartoon, and a big chunk of movies from the 80's. It was a fun little cliche that kept coming up over and over again. They work as nice villains with no need for back story or motivation. They're just jerks.
>>
>>13972815

Dirty Pair had a bunch in a couple episodes.
>>
>>13973899

It shall be added to the list.

>>13973193

It's a great cliche. A lot of anime could benefit from having an episode or two about fighting some rapey biker dudes.

Even the shitiest of mecha anime could have been improved by just devoting a single episode towards fighting such foes.
>>
Excel Saga, but it was trying to parody FotNS so I'm not sure it counts.
>>
>>13974048
Considering how the last anime arc went, it fits.
>>
MD Geist of course
>>
Dancouga
>>
I think we named them all.

Personally I liked layzner and dragonar's hokuto no ken arc the most
>>
>>13972815
MD Geist

how could you forget?
>>
>>13974117
That was more like Terminator, wasn't it?

Fuck man, was the 80s just the golden era for Hollywood or something? I'm honestly surprised how much you see it reflected in older shows.
>>
SHIN Cutie Honey has weird, post-apocalyptic bikers, even though it was set in a functioning metropolis; albeit, the city looked like it was droopy playdoh
>>
Violence Jack
>>
>>13974811
The 80s was a golden era for mankind
>>
>>13974811
I still think that even Fight! Ramenman (which is a Kinnikuman spin-off) imitated FotNS' "wander into towns, beat the crap out of villians, then leave and repeat ad nauseam" formula. There's a kid following Ramenman around, to boot.
>>
>>13975384
All the early shounen series are HnK derivatives to some extent. Some very direct, some less so, but everything stems from HnK.
>>
I'd say Megazone 23 but it's got better hardware than Mad Max.

Xabungle is arguably qualified, I guess.
>>
>>13975167
Incidentally, Happy Scans announced this in their latest Majuu Sensen update:
>Also, you may have noticed some word about Violence Jack: ours is coming. The one out right now has incredibly subpar translation and is the result of raws and translation materials quite literally stolen. Physically speaking.
>>
>>13975384
There's a pretty big overlap between Mad Max and traditional westerns, ditto any period samurai film and anime with the formula you described. Mad Max 2 didn't invent that formula, no more than Yojimbo did.
>>
>>13975447
If Yojimbo didn't invent that formula, what did?
>>
>>13975434

Are there mohawk biker dudes in Megazone 23 and Xabungle?
>>
Why is Mad Max so similar to Violence Jack? Why do people keep copying Go Nagai? First Star Wars, now this.
>>
>>13976099
Good question, though Nagai himself did do a drawing in tribute to Mad Max, around the time Fury road came out.
>>
>>13976099
>Why do people keep copying Go Nagai?

The problem here is, you need to establish they were even familiar with Go Nagai or his work in the first place.

With Star Wars there's at least a relative plausibility given we know Lucas already credited other Japanese materials for inspiration on SW, but how likely is it a 1979 (earlier if you account for the fact the first MM was written in '75) George Miller would have a hook-up for enough manga to be familiar with VJ enough for it to be an influence.

Especially given how much the MM series has shifted stylistically over the course of its run.
>>
>>13976272

Very likely.
>>
>>13976272
>but how likely is it a 1979 George Miller would have a hook-up for enough manga to be familiar with VJ enough for it to be an influence.
Not that unlikely, given Europe's exposure to Go Nagai in the late 70s and early 80s.

>Especially given how much the MM series has shifted stylistically over the course of its run.
That's nonsensical. Why would something changing in subsequent entries somehow negate the influences that helped create it originally?
>>
>>13976309
The latter is more just as a matter of whether you're pointing to VJ's influnce as akin to the first MM or The Road Warrior (which is the style a lot of this thread is skewing more towards.)

A lot of people tend to forget, the original Mad Max's aesthetic is a LOT more dialed back than its sequels, setting itself in one of those pockets where civilization still has something of a foothold before shit goes completely off the rails.

A group like the Toecutter and his goons are more in line with something like The Warriors than they are with a lot of the gangs of the later Mad Max installments.

The reputation of TRW is so big and so embraced as THE Mad Max look a lot of people tend to forget that it didn't really gain that look/style until the sequels.
>>
Kiba's soldiers in Mazinkaiser SKL are post-apocalyptic rapist biker thugs.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.