[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So District 9 being any good was just a fluke, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5
File: 1457466846977[1].jpg (51 KB, 770x513) Image search: [Google]
1457466846977[1].jpg
51 KB, 770x513
So District 9 being any good was just a fluke, right?
>>
>>13972639
Yyyyyyup.
>>
>>13972639
No. Elysium was great. Great!
But chappie was pretty meh, yes.
>>
What was wrong with Chappie again?
>>
>>13972661
Cartoon characters.
>>
>>13972665
And? That sounds more like a personal problem.
>>
>>13972639

Elysium was apparently directly based on Les Miserables

Make of that what you will
>>
>>13972671
It is. When someone says "X is bad", (s)he is just expressing a personal opinion.
I didn't dislike chappie that much, quite liked the whole concept actually, it's good, but it was executed poorly.
>>
My favorite is the one that has a deep social commentary on low classes and minorities
>>
>>13972699
If you're a white South African you can't really do much else. Look at all the award winning literature, it's all social commentary on apartheid and other issues
>>
>>13972683
>but it was executed poorly
Explain.
>>
>>13972661
So many characters made bizarre decisions, and not just because they had poor judgement or a lack of knowledge.
The fact that Huge Jacked Man got away with the "it was only a joke!" excuse when he pulled a gun on a guy in the office and everyone saw/heard it.
The big battle at the end felt like it belonged in another movie. It was extremely out of place.
The way Ninja sacrafices himself or at least the movie tries to make him look heroic at the last minute, feels wrong.
>>
>>13972752
>The fact that Huge Jacked Man got away with the "it was only a joke!" excuse when he pulled a gun on a guy in the office and everyone saw/heard it.
It's just a prank, bro!
>>
>>13972699
I actually thought Elysium was pretty accurate. If they could rich people would definitely move to a space station.

You already have self contained skyscrapers were they live.
>>
File: Kruger smile.jpg (263 KB, 1280x851) Image search: [Google]
Kruger smile.jpg
263 KB, 1280x851
>>13972657
Cyberpunk as fuck.
>>
>>13972661
It was an excuse to put that one South African music group in a movie
>>
>>13972752
None of the characters were even remotely sympathetic.
>>
>>13972765
And whats wrong wit that?
>>
Chappie was good.

It was like Weird Science, Encino Man, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, etc. Where complete idiots get some sort of super science dumped on them. So they go on a hilarious adventure.
>>
>>13972661
why would you remake Short Circuit?
>>
>>13972807
What about Chappie?
>>
>>13972808
It means they do not have to face the consequence when they fuck us over.
>>
>>13972828
So?
That's their right. They have the money. If they fucking nuke us to shit well, that's that then. Bend over and take it bitch.
>>
>>13972877
It is more likely that they get nuked by the side who has nothing to lose and is full of resentments.
>>
>>13972901
With what nukes? They can't afford em! Poorfags btfo
>>
>>13972639
Neil is good at visually depicting sci-fi worlds, but he's a bad storyteller. He needs to get someone else to write for him
>>
>Hey why don't we just sneak onboard a cargo ship and steal one of those machines to bring to earf?
>That's dumb, let's just launch missiles filled with our wives and children at that heavily armed space station.
>>
>>13973025
but anon it makes perfect sense
the poor people didnt go to school so they never learned about battle tactics
it's all poetry
>>
>>13972808
Well I am not rich anon. If rich people leave who is going to pay taxes? They fund everything.
>>
>>13973025
Don't forget that they were doing this for years and even had an entire operation about it. Oh, and also make sure you don't forget that rather than the rich folks sell the services at high mark ups they just decided to take it into their space colony and left people to rot instead.
>>
I liked chappie fuck you.
At least it had violence, by default making it better than most modern action movies.
Neill should do an Alita movie, it's right up his alley and he always rips off japanese stuff anyway.
>>
>>13973541
If rich people leave then the least poorest people are now rich
INFINITE MONEY
>>
Story was good because it wasn't repeated like elysium and chappie basically repeated the same theme. >>13972699
Technical design was gr8 but that's about it for his movies. I liked chappie because it was basically short circuit 2.0 but other than that nah.
>>
>Dystopian future Los Angeles where the land is barren, everyone is poor and the city is over crowded by mexicans.
When does it get sci-fi?
>>
>>13972678
Closest thing to Alita/Gunnm ever.
>>
>>13972639
I didn't like District 9 that much. However, Elysium was better than expected. Basically the suit being a fancy prosthesis was a lot better than the trailers making it out to be some kind o' power armor.
>>
I liked Chappie, it was fun. Wasn't meant to be serious.

Also Yolandi is p cute.
>>
>>13973718
Oh yeah in Africa I would be a rich man.
>>
Elysium added nothing to the theme, the attack was a joke and the whole Chappie was a joke with messed up message. I get it, they've made a movie to star those two but still.
>>
>>13972639
District 9 was a unique concept those films aren't
>>
>>13972907
>what is terrorism and the black market
>>
>>13972807
They're South Africans, their cuntishness is hardwired into their DNA, why do you think no one likes them?
You know besides their awful accents
>>
>>13973710
> Neill should do an Alita movie
Holy you might be onto something. He sure would be better than this hack Cameron.
>>
>Elysium
>the little girl's Hippo and Cat story

That was so goddamn awful. Are the writers so terrible that they had to come up with a dry-as-fuck symbolic tale just to sum up their own shitty movie's story?
>>
It's more like Blomkamp just made the same move three times, except with a different group representing the apartheid allegory (aliens, people not on the space station, robots)
>>
File: raven_edit_02.jpg (230 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
raven_edit_02.jpg
230 KB, 1600x1131
Alright here's what I think:
Blomkamp just likes tacticool-looking scifi shit like robots and spaceships and weapons that look halfway between Halo and Alien. This is good.

Blomkamp, however, is an idiot and gets carried away with needing to cram more and more 'cool' shit into the movie with little regard for the plot or story progression.

District 9 worked for him because its narrative style jumped all over intentionally since it was a sort of found-footage deal. Any movie with a traditional structure and cinematography is gonna suck coming from him unless he learns to hand writing off to someone else AND stop indulging in shoehorning every cool mecha thing he can in.

Don't get me wrong, the designs used in his stuff are mostly killer.
>>
>>13974685
hahah yeah god i literally said no FUCKIN WAY out loud at the end when he FUCKIN CITES THE STUPID STORY

i couldn't help it
>>
>The last part of Chappie
What was the point.
The movie was already pretty silly but this was just embarassing.
>>
>>13972657
Elysium's just a warning about poor people ruining life for everyone.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.