[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The hell did I just watch? I've got such mixed feelings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 14
File: wot.jpg (140 KB, 956x720) Image search: [Google]
wot.jpg
140 KB, 956x720
The hell did I just watch? I've got such mixed feelings about it.

What does /m/ think?
>>
>>13961197
Absolute classic, best Anno work.
>>
>>13961197
Judging by your picture i'd assume you just watched Gunbuster but it could be anything really, how would i guess.
Why would you make a thread asking me that?
Do you have alzheimers so you can't remember what you just watched?
>>
>>13961213
I didn't care for the plot pacing or much of anything other than the last episode in terms of that stuff, but the first five episodes looked fucking brilliant. Such a nice vibe.
>>
>>13961197
I think the second half was pretty great, while the first half was awful. A show that's half good and half bad is a mediocre show. Grossly overrated by those who care for the destination more than the journey.
>>
You watched a below average OVA that suddenly gets really great for the last one and a half episodes.
>>
>>13961636
>while the first half was awful.
Found the ADHD
>>
File: AH AHAHA AH AHAHAH.gif (52 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
AH AHAHA AH AHAHAH.gif
52 KB, 250x250
>>13961197
Good OVA but suffers from severe pacing issues. The first half can be rough at times, but it's worth riding for the second half. Now go and watch Diebuster.
>>
>>13961645
Cool kneejerk reaction.
>>
>>13961664
I watched them back to back and had an awful experience, Diebuster ruined my hypetrain.
All it has going for it is the opening.
>>
File: 541236.jpg (349 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
541236.jpg
349 KB, 1920x1080
>>13961197
>The hell did I just watch?
the best /m/ work ever made
>>
>>13961636
I watched episode 1 again recently and really enjoyed it. I definitely agree that it ramps up during the second half, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Diebuster on the other hand has that issue for me - the first couple episodes are pretty shitty, but then around the fourth it gets good.
>>
Honestly i didn't like it. So i moved on to different and better 80s OVAs
>>
I think it's an amazing piece of work that I am super glad exists.
>>
Just watch the tennis show, it's far more rewarding.
>>
The worst OVA of all time but it gets praised because Evafags don't know any better.
>>
>>13961213
>Absolute classic, best Anno work.

A classic definitely. Best work ? Hell no.
Gunbuster is a love letter to science fiction fans. It doesn't go further than that, it has no real depth. Action and bouncing boops galore, 100% otaku fare. It is pretty, but it is not Anno's best work, not in a thousand years.
>>
File: kaere.jpg (114 KB, 1165x480) Image search: [Google]
kaere.jpg
114 KB, 1165x480
>>13964050
How about twelve thousand?
>>
>>13963994
I've seen way too many OVAs to fall for that line.
>>
>>13964082
>How about twelve thousand?

Nice but no. Anno's best work is Fushigi no Umi no Nadia. Everything else he has done/worked on pales in comparison.
>>
File: bunnybuster.jpg (282 KB, 724x541) Image search: [Google]
bunnybuster.jpg
282 KB, 724x541
It's my favourite anime.

>>13961231
>>13961664
>pacing issues
Nigga what? Gunbuster is the only anime I've ever seen that has absolutely perfect pacing.
>>
>>13964169
>the fucking island arc
>africa arc
Good, but not perfect
>>
>>13964195
>not naganobuster.jpg
>>
>>13964169
>>13964233
My niggas
I enjoyed the island arc even if it was a bit long drawn out, but the african arc was so nonsensical and poorly animated that I could barely bring myself not to skip through it.

Definitely one of his finest works, Anno will never top cool glasses team rocket aniki.
>>
>>13961664

>pacing issues

Code for "I'm 12 with ADHD".
>>
>>13961197
Extremely mediocre. It suffers from crippling pacing issues, poor characterization and a severe lack of action despite besides its writing being action movie level schlock.

However, it has some rabid fanboys. But this is a common trait of all Gainax works.
>>
>>13964169

And the best part is, Anno can't even be credited for how good Nadia is.
>>
>>13964195
>>13964462
The pacing was way too fast, you shitniggers. It could have used more episodes but way too much was jammed into what we got.
>>
>>13964501
Educate me.
>>
>>13961197
I think it's pretty disjointed. The first half of it feels like a completely different OVA, building up momentum and coming to a lovely climax, whereas the second two episodes are just sort of tacked onto the end.

I really don't understand why it's one of /m/'s sacred cows. Noriko is a fantastic protag but there otherwise isn't a whole lot to it.
>>
>>13961664
GROOOVIN' MAG-
motherfucker
>>
The good
+ visuals and designs
+ that one music track they stole and had to remove
+ the action
+ voice acting

The bad
- pacing and episode count
- characterization and motive development is on the weak side
- very few Gunbuster scenes, much of it having little to no animation
>>
>>13966403
The bad
-no Ichirou Mizuki song about the Gunbuster itself
>>
>>13964195
>every episode was written as it was being made without any overarching plan, Anno even admitted he was writing what seemed like a good idea at the time
>perfect pacing
>>
>>13961664
a worthy sequel to a good OVA
>>
>>13961664
At first I didn't like Diebuster as much as Gunbuster, but after awhile when I watched it again I liked it a lot more. It's not entirely like Gunbuster, and it's not trying to be. It's ultimately more solid on stuff like character development and pacing than Gunbuster, but Gunbuster has a lot more heart.
>>
I absolutely love Gunbuster but I'm a sucker for Starship Troopers/Forever War tropes so I'm a bit biased.

It is so fucking good tho.
>>
>>13966454
This is actually exactly the kind of shit that makes Gunbuster great to me. The actual plot, the pacing, the action, it's all irrelevant. It's the fact that I could tell Anno was putting his heart and soul into that pen of his that sets it apart from most other mecha productions I've seen.

And it's still serviceable in other areas even if it's sandpaper around the edges. Noriko's voice acting was great, the music was good, the robot was glorious and so on. But it's the sheer emotion that's present in just about every scene, all the sloppily thrown together elements of things Anno likes and the general hurried pace (as if he had a lot to get through and he needed to get through it all) really makes it feel like a labor of love that the folks at Gainax had a blast creating. And it comes through strong, at least for me.

Gunbuster isn't my favorite mecha show, but it's absolutely top 3. Almost no other show matches the kind of heartfelt earnestness it gives off.
>>
File: aceED.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
aceED.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>13961197
OP listen to >>13963958. Aim for the Ace! is a masterpiece.

Not saying that Gunbuster and Diebuster aren't too though. They're all excellent. I think that Diebuster is actually just about as perfect a sequel as we could have hoped for. The first couple of episodes had me sort of up in the air but it all came together so nicely. They both have elements that are shaky as hell, but overall they pull it off so amazingly that the little faults just make it more memorable to me. I love these things.
>>
>>13961664

Eh, Diebuster just couldn't do it for me. It ended up exemplifying everything I didn't like about turn of the millennium Gainax.
>>
>>13966492
>It's not entirely like Gunbuster, and it's not trying to be

Then they shouldn't have marketed it as a sequel. It's even called Aim for the Top 2, so there is nothing ambiguous about it.

Market something as a sequel or even a spiritual successor, then it's nothing at all like what people liked about the original, then that kind of criticism is completely warranted and the studio fucked up.

That said, it's fucking garbage whether or not it was trying to ride Gunbuster's coat tails.
>>
>>13967148
>Aim for the Ace!
Shame about BlueFixer Subs never bothering to redo the portion that ILA did, though. With any luck, Live-Evil or Saizen might do the follow-up shows someday.
>>
>>13967167

They had to market it as a sequel since the conclusion rests upon it and Nono has Noriko as her inspiration for the entire thing. Not to mention it keeps up a lot of the same themes regarding courage, guts and so on (better in my opinion).
>>
>>13962623
that's not giant robo

gunbuster was kinda poorly written desu
>>
>>13966864
>all these shit that make an anime good, don't worry it's all irrelevant
i wouldn't say gunbuster was shit, but it was nowhere as great as /m/'s constant wanking of it.

it's honestly very very average. there are just much better written shows out there.
>>
>>13961197
I think everything about it is bad.
I've rewatched Gunbuster twice now, yet I still can't fathom what people see in it.

>>13963958
This.
>>
>>13966864
>The actual plot, the pacing, the action, it's all irrelevant. It's the fact that I could tell Anno was putting his heart and soul into that pen of his that sets it apart from most other mecha productions I've seen.
This is it.

Gunbuster itself is kind of an autism test. If you look at the show as merely the sum of its parts (story, pacing, action, characters) then you're not going to see why people like it. You have too look past that, and see the love poured into it, the way it's basically everything an 80s Japanese sci-fi nerd would love packed into 6 episodes, all the little ridiculous but beautiful moments you don't see in other anime.

Because the actual story of Gunbuster is the one happening behind the scenes, about how a goofy show about tits and robots doing pushups can be touching, and sweet and beautiful as well. All it's all because of the love the people behind it have for the campy silly science fiction tropes it's built on.
>>
>>13967225
I'm sorry /m/, I couldn't bring myself to finish Giant Robo.
I expected Big O levels of hype, but for a show called giant robo there sure wasn't any fucking robot action.
Does it suddenly get exciting halfway through?
>>
>>13964169
>Fushigi no Umi no Nadia
Anata wa sure it's not Shin Seiki Evangerion desu ka? Watashi wa think that it's the best anime next to Kōkaku Kidōtai and Kidō Senshi Gandamu desu.
>>
>>13967283
You're reading too much into it, the delusion in this post is ridiculous.

>all the little ridiculous but beautiful moments you don't see in other anime.
All I get from this is that you haven't seen much other anime.

The real autism test regarding Gunbuster is whether or not you'll create this delusion that fits your shit tastes and somehow delude yourself into thinking it was anything but mediocre that tried being too ambitious.
It's like Dragonball Z fans trying to convince themselves that it's the epitome of anime - it's all just autism, nostalgia, and shitty, uninformed tastes.
>>
>>13967546
>uninformed tastes.

wat

anyway

It's a silly fun giant robot show with lots of great high drama cheese and really good art design/directing

I mean what do some people want? get the fuck over yourselves with yout "pleb/patrician" pseudo-elitism about cartoons lol
>>
>>13967567

Some people might want different. Which makes them autistic according to >>13967283 I guess.
>>
>>13967567
>wat
>"pleb/patrician
>lol

Gunbusterfags everybody!
>>
>>13967229
How much you enjoy a story depends mostly on the emotions it inspires in you. And while good plot, characters, pacing, etc. can certainly help a story bring out those emotions, they are by no means the only avenue.
>>
>>13967576
What makes you autistic is the way in which you approach media, not your opinions about it. You seek to compartmentalize and break down and judge each individual part of a work instead of looking at it as a cohesive whole.
>>
>>13964195
>pefect pacing
pic related proves you wrong
>>
>>13968032

Says the guy approving looking in to all the stories of the productions behind the scenes stuff instead of the work itself.
>>
>>13966864
>>13967283
I can't believe we share a board with these morons. You can like Gunbuster all you want, but don't try to get it some faith based credit based on some nefarious "soul" bullshit. That's stupid.
>>
>>13968057
>Says the guy approving looking in to all the stories of the productions behind the scenes stuff instead of the work itself.
What? No.
>>
>>13968137
adding to that, I like Gunbuster because it looks great and manages to get the viewer pumped with its hotblooded scenes. Stuff like Gunbuster's gattai sequence and the black+white final episode is the stuff of legend IMO. The OVA isn't perfectly made by any stretch, but it contributes something unique and entertaining anyhow
>>
>>13968469

You tacitly approved >>13967283 by saying that I was autistic for taking Gunbuster on it's own merits and not investing myself in all the staff's stories and the process' soul.

Now, maybe that's not what you meant, but it certainly came off that way to me and I apologize if you didn't.
>>
>>13967345
the writing is better than big o. it's not even a contest.
>>
>>13968137
It's equally as stupid as trying to judge every piece of fiction based solely on technical competency. Competency is important, but you can have a show with perfect storytelling competency still be completely boring because the writers just weren't invested in it. If you want an example of something like this, look no further than the first two NGE Rebuild movies. They were okay, but they just didn't have near the same impact the original had. There's nothing I can point out as objectively wrong with them that wasn't also wrong in the original (other than Mari), but the characters just don't seem quite as expressive as they once did. Probably because they weren't written by the same Anno. This Anno is doing it for the cash. The past Anno did it for the sake of itself because his studio was dying, so he may as well do what he wanted as a swan song
>>
>>13961636
Ok well ironic that the first part of your post was good and then went to shit afterwards.

You speak for yourself and then proceed to generalize your opinion as fact and then furthermore decide that no one could possibly have a different opinion and then call them stupid for valuing the ending enough to like the whole thing.

Did it ever cross your mind that some people might have liked the build up and storytelling pre big flashy fight scene you sperg?
>>
>>13961702
>>13968587
Good god and you had the fucking balls to tell someone else that THEY were having a kneejerk reaction? Fuck off of /m/ please, do the board a favour
>>
>>13967345
When the hell did you drop it? Regardless, the final episode of Giant Robo is one of the greatest things a man could ever possibly witness in his miserable life
>>
>>13968546
>It's equally as stupid as trying to judge every piece of fiction based solely on technical competency.

I didn't even read the rest of your post because this is a huge underpinning fallacy. Liking something is pure opinion when it comes down to it. But just because you really like Gunbuster, that isn't a measure for anything or anyone and it doesn't give any insight into the work. Describing what Gunbuster actually is in terms of writing, visuals and music is actually informative and critically constructive. Unless people are just flinging shit and trolling, but that's something else entirely.
>>
>>13968623
>Describing what Gunbuster actually is in terms of writing, visuals and music is actually informative and critically constructive
Do you actually think these aspects are not subjective themselves? Hell, music is like the ultimate in subjectivity, I can't explain why I like any music that I do other than with "it's more expressive or emotional than other music"

And if context wasn't important to a show, /m/ wouldn't still have G-Reco bait threads every now and then. I guess that's the simplest way to say what I've been trying to say.
>>
>>13968032
>You seek to compartmentalize and break down and judge each individual part of a work instead of looking at it as a cohesive whole.

If you've got shitty bricks, you'll have a shitty house. If the parts are shit, the whole is shit. That's an undeniable fact and only delusional mental gymnastics can say otherwise.
>b-b-but it has heart and soul!
>>
>>13967345
i had the same feeling too when i watched for the first time, when i was in the second episode i realized that there's not going to be enough robo action, so i change my way to approaching the show, and started watching for the characters and accept that robo is used as the last option.
with that i managed to watch all of it and let me tell you anon
it was worth it
>>
>>13968728
That doesn't really apply to intellectual works. Only physical ones.

An anime is not a knife, so you don't have to worry about the quality of the steel. Quite different things.
>>
>>13968728
>comparing a physical product with singular points of catastrophic failure to a cartoon
it doesn't work like that. If one part of a house sucks but most is still okay the whole thing still falls over. If one part of an anime sucks but the rest works together well, you get Macross 7.

Art is not a tool. Art can be made of literal garbage and come out amazing.
>>
>>13968704
>Do you actually think these aspects are not subjective themselves?
No, because they are actual things that exist. When someone describes things that are there, that is objective. When someone gives their impression of things, that's subjective.
>Hell, music is like the ultimate in subjectivity
In what way? Audio quality? Composition? Execution? Stop generalizing multi-faceted things.
>And if context wasn't important to a show, /m/ wouldn't still have G-Reco bait threads every now and then. I guess that's the simplest way to say what I've been trying to say.
Seriously? That drivel is what you've been trying to say?
>>
File: 1419874015889.jpg (52 KB, 800x323) Image search: [Google]
1419874015889.jpg
52 KB, 800x323
>>13967283
>Gunbuster itself is kind of an autism test. If you look at the show as merely the sum of its parts (story, pacing, action, characters) then you're not going to see why people like it.

So people like the show for reasons that are utterly unrelated to what kind of show it is?
>>
>>13968546
Well if I'm judging the original NGE on its storytelling competency, then it actually fails too. Almost nothing happens it for 3/4 of the show, other than boring monster of the week battles. I could say the same thing for Gunbuster too. Nothing substantial happens in the first 5 episodes, and yet, Anno expects me to care for the final event / episode.

Honestly, I think Anno just got lucky. I don't think his works provide anything truly meaningful or emotionally complex, nor does it offer anything enlightening other than its boorish look on what depression is all about. I fail to see the depth in the pond.
>>
>>13968979
He means you're autistic and can't grasp the concept that life is not boolean logical addition, it's significantly more.
>>
>>13968994
>the concept that life is not boolean logical addition
Except you're wrong.

Everything in life can be translated to bit code.
>>
I think I've seen some of the worst excuses ever in this thread as to why a show is good.

This leads me to believe that I was correct in assessing Gunbuster's mediocrity. People are just fooling themselves, or getting emotionally engaged in the show because it's Anno.

If the show is judged on its own merits, then I think most would agree that it really isn't anything special, dare I say bad.
>>
>>13969006
Until you can objectively calculate and then create the greatest mecha series of all time then sit your ass down at your desk and keep working those numbers, monkey.
>>
>>13969068
>then create the greatest mecha series
The greatest mecha series was already created senpai.
>>
People claiming that gunbuster is greatest thing ever are silly, but I don't understand how on earth you could consider it bad or mediocre? Isn't this /m/? The fantastic visuals and robot action should be more than enough. And the ending is very well done.
>>
>>13969142
>robot action
Really?

There weren't many well choreographed action in it. It was rather bland on that part.

Any other super robot show, even the ones from the 70s have better action than Gunbuster.
>>
>>13968981

Have you ever actually suffered a depressive episode? NGE's depiction of depression in its last third is scarily accurate at times. It really does Shinji the fuck out of you.
>>
>>13969155
If you don't like the Gunbuster wrecking everything at once, I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>13969006

What a fucking autist
>>
>>13968981
>I fail to see the depth in the pond.

Oh DAMN son. You did it. You won the nerdcathlon. Nobody is cooler than you. We're all gonna suck your dick now, champ.
>>
>>13969170
>Gunbuster wrecking everything at once
Snores.

There's something called choreography, which Gunbuster completely missed out on.
>>
>>13969212
Whoa, look out guys, we've got a cartoon robot choreography expert in here!
>>
>>13969212
The direction is great though. That's what sells it.
>>
>>13968969
It is nearly impossible to be 100% objective about anything. I could look at a ceiling and tell you that it is a ceiling, which implies that you should think nothing more of it. I could look at the exact same ceiling and tell you that it's a product of laborious toil of starving immigrants, implying that you should feel guilt for taking shelter under it. Even if it doesn't seem like it, both of these descriptions have a bias, the former of normative society and the latter of someone obsessed with diversity.

And yes, I've been saying that context changes the perception of a work. I can't say what kind of show Gunbuster would be in a vaccuum because I watched it having seen other television shows before, alongside most of the things it references. And because of that, I saw a sort of meta story of a young Hideaki Anno bursting with excitement to recapture his childhood in high budget animation unfold alongside the actual story of the show itself. And it's something I can't ignore or unsee knowing everything about the show that I do.

This same principle causes people to hate shows because of their fanbases or not watch a movie because it has a certain actor or director and so on. In a perfect world, we'd all be robots that wouldn't let ourselves be susceptible to elements of shows that are only tangentially related, but as this thread shows, the world is very much not perfect.
>>
>>13969225

You realize you're not any better by saying it just had great action and nothing more right?
>>
>>13969212
Yeah fuck off m8 that payoff was based as fuck. After watching all those gym kids get utterly rekt and them having to send their 2 aces on what is by all means a suicide mission, the funk they were in from finding out coach had mega-aids and just generally all the shit that happened and how godly the space monsters were, that hype ass music and off the chain top quality screaming and voice acting was cathartic as fuck. It helps a lot that the ova in general is gorgeous and gunbuster is a badass design
>>
>>13969270
>It is nearly impossible to be 100% objective about anything
muh excuses
post discarded
btw you weren't supposed to respond to my post, because it already covered everything
>>
>>13969272
Lol where the fuck did I say that? Maybe you should read the posts you respond to, mate.
>>
>>13969380

> If you don't like Gunbuster wrecking everything at once, I don't know what to tell you

You didn't say it, but you did agree to it.
>>
>>13968782
>If one part of an anime sucks but the rest works together well,
Except in Gunbuster's case, it's not one part that sucks, it's almost all of it, save some parts of the animation.
And as we've seen in the past, good animation does not save a show.

>Art can be made of literal garbage and come out amazing.
No it can't. It'll still be garbage.

Do you even think before you post shit like this?
>>
>>13969404
This.

Most of the show was crap, save for the final episode, which was just okay because of the emotional payoff. Even then, the ending was still not worth the 5 earlier boring episodes that I had to sit through.
>>
>>13969404
>>13969419
Wait, how is most of Gunbuster crap exactly? The plot and characters are fine. Pacing is kind of wonky. But the directing and visuals are great.
>>
>>13969431
It's a fairly common opinion that the first part is weak.
>>
I never thought I'd see the day that /m/ shits on GunBuster of all things.

What would you raise above it, then, as the epitome of mecha anime? Gundam? Evangelion? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>13969671
>I never thought I'd see the day that /m/ shits on GunBuster of all things.
Lurk more
>>
>>13967283
An 80's Japanese Sci Fi nerd would have to buy each part seperately, and wait for months between releases.

He would see that episode 1 was a bad sports anime parody and ignore the sequels. 80's moe nerds are the ones that bought Gunbuster.
>>
>>13969497
Sure, but that doesn't mean it's total crap.
>>
>>13969671
giant robo was better
>>
>>13969671
I guess today the board is filled with sadsacks who'd rather jerk off to Evangelion. Sad days.
>>
The first three episodes just felt... Off on my first time watching.
It kinda felt like I was watching F91 again, all these characters tossed in that I'm supposed to care about but don't get any meaningful development before they're discarded.

It's like a rollercoaster, the first three episodes are just you slowly climbing uphill before the real shit begins.

And like F91 I feel it would've benefitted from being longer so characters could be fleshed out.
>>
Coach should've died.
>>
>>13971754
but he DID died
>>
File: HIROMIOKA.jpg (114 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
HIROMIOKA.jpg
114 KB, 640x480
Gunbuster's okay, and the final episode is really well done, but it doesn't hold a candle to the original
>>
>>13966403
>that one music track they stole and had to remove

You talking about not-Soviet anthem? I kek'd hard when I first heard it play when Gunbuster showed up.
>>
Episodes 2, 5 and 6 are pretty good, the others pretty meh.
>>
I've been gone from /m/ for over a year and what does it turn into? Shows that this place used to cream itself over are now being bashed and anyone who still says they're good is being declared tasteless pleb. Did this place get taken over by shitposters or something?
>>
>>13975411
The one that sounds like it came right out of Chariots of Fire.
>>
>>13975454
Just look at the damn thing critically.
>>
>>13975466

I'm well aware of it's shortcomings. It doesn't stop me from enjoying in it, and it doesn't compel me to shit all over it and shit all over anyone else who enjoys in it. You can be critical over something and still like it, which is something a lot of people here seem to not understand.
>>
>>13975697

Go somewhere else if you want a hugbox.
>>
>>13975733

>not being a shitposter equates to wanting a hugbox

Sure thing.
>>
>>13964463
>But this is a common trait of all Gainax works.

I dunno, I have yet to see anyone who will go to bat for something like This Ugly Yet Beautiful World.

Not like I'd want them to. What I saw mostly just left me feeling 'meh', but still...every so often even Gainax can't hook the zealots.
>>
>>13975795
>not liking Gunbuster equals being a shitposter
Okay reddit
>>
>>13975454
>Did this place get taken over by shitposters or something?
Yes. Maybe not taken over, but overrun with anger and vitriol certainly.
>>
>>13975454
>Shows that this place used to cream itself over are now being bashed and anyone who still says they're good is being declared tasteless pleb.
You should see what happens if people try talking about Getter Robo.

Also people now report mecha image dumps, and 150 mech threads.

And mods delete them.
>>
>>13975901
See >>13975733
>>
>>13975964

Wow, this place really did turn to shit while I was gone. What went wrong? It's like the place has been invaded by /v/ and /tv/ fags.
>>
>>13976003
Pretty much, mixed with /pol/, /b/, and lately goon shit from /srs/, SA, and tumblr.
>>
>>13975454
I know this is bullshit because I've been saying these same things about Gunbuster and talking about them with /m/ for years. Fuck off newfag.
>>
>>13969671
>I never thought I'd see the day that /m/ shits on GunBuster of all things.

You're either new and trying to hide it or naive and have spent the past few years either only viewing /m/ selectively or somehow managing to avoid a LOT of threads.
/m/ has had critics of Gunbuster for a few years now.
In fact, I can't think of a single title here that hasn't subject to at least SOME criticism.
Yes, even LoGH.
>>
>>13975861
To be fair, this has become pretty common arguing practice here for years now.

If someone doesn't like the thing you like, the easiest answer is either they're
a) autistic
b) redditfag
c) someone who hates fun
d) the elusive 'spic'
or
e) a tumblrite (not used as often as the others, but have seen it invoked from time to time.)
>>
>>13976097

There was criticism, and then there's outright shitting on a title, like what's happening in this thread. These people aren't just criticizing Gunbuster, they're lambasting it like it's some black sheep of the mecha genre and treat anyone who happens to like it as a tasteless plebeian.
>>
>>13976105
>the elusive 'spic'

That one is pretty much exclusive to Getterfags due to them being cancer though.
>>
>>13976007
shitternet playing ground. i just lurk and facepalm in disbelief
>>
>>13976105
>>13976116
>d) the elusive 'spic'
His shitposting is not the same as critically analyzing a work.

If I just flooded this thread with posts like
>Gunbuster is shit
>fucking Gunbusteraustists
>Anno is a retard
Then it would be spicposting.

Also
>spic
>elusive
Fuck off mario
>>
>>13976129
>Fuck off mario
I have to doubletake every time I see this on /m/ because I'm from /dng/ where one of the faggiest tripfags is called Mariomon.

And I still don't know who /m/ Mario is.
>>
>>13976107
>like it's some black sheep of the mecha genre and treat anyone who happens to like it as a tasteless plebeian
It is though. Only pleb Evafags from /a/ like Gunbuster and it is the only 80s anime they have seen.
>>
>>13976152
f r e e r e p l i e s
Have some on the house, my good fellow
(You)
(You)
(You)
And for being such a loyal customer
(You|OP)
>>
File: bde.png (219 KB, 827x1050) Image search: [Google]
bde.png
219 KB, 827x1050
>>13976152
>>
>>13976147
spic = mario
>>
File: 1450330226244.jpg (10 KB, 536x754) Image search: [Google]
1450330226244.jpg
10 KB, 536x754
>>13976107
It's because someone earlier had to present the worst argument ever for Gunbuster while insulting everyone who thinks otherwise.
>>
>>13976116
fuck off pablo
>>
>>13975733
This is why /m/ has gotten so bad. We used to be able to enjoy things together without people flipping their shit over the slightest flaw. Now half the time if someone tells people to chill it's this vapid "muh hugbox" nonsense.
>>
>>13978393

A lot of the boards have become the same way over the years. /a/, /co/, /v/, /tv/... Apparently liking things despite their flaws or having fun is becoming unwelcome on 4chan.
>>
>>13978393

There's very little shit flipping in the first part of the thread - just a load of people saying it's okay and nothing more. Which is true. The second half of the thread is a load of people bitching that anyone has the temerity to dislike "a classic" and how shit /m/ is despite all that rather conservative dislike.
>>
>>13978393
This, really. I'm thinking of leaving after Zyuohger's airing is over, because I doubt people here will have that much fun afterwards. It's better to just privately talk with a handful of people or less at this point.
>>
>>13978393
>We used to be able to enjoy things together
not when anno and gainax is concerned.

gunbuster has huge flaws as a show.

it's overhyped because of the director and studio. i've seen more entertaining 80s ovas than this.
>>
ITT: manchild cry that /m/ isn't the hugbox they expected from /r9k/
>>
>>13979379

>it's overhyped because of the director and studio

I don't see people calling it the second coming of Christ. People just tend to highly recommend it when asked which mecha shows/OVAs are good enough to give them a watch.

It's far from flawless, but it's not a shitshow as some people in this thread claim it is.

Besides, last I heard /m/ tends to dislike Anno.
>>
>>13976152
I don't like Eva much
If Eva is the depressed Anno, Gunbuster is the true Anno
>>
>>13961197
A very mediocre show with little going for it, but some interesting ideas and a great 5th episode.
>>
File: 1457624045856.png (248 KB, 1942x762) Image search: [Google]
1457624045856.png
248 KB, 1942x762
>>13979390
kek
>>
>>13979392
Then you must be new.

People fellate Gunbuster on a regular basis (because they couldn't fellate Eva on /m/ because of backlash)
>>
>>13979438
I love how trying to say anything nice about a show somehow is
>turning /m/ into a hugbox
but trying to suppress all discussion on a show that isn't negative somehow isn't about creating a hugbox.

This
>Stop liking what I dislike
>Stop disliking what I like
shit has got to stop, but as of late "Stop liking what I dislike" whinging seems louder.
>>
>>13978393
Nigga, you guys are the ones saying /m/ has gone to shit because people disagree with you.
>>
Looks like Reddit is upset that not everyone likes baby's first 80s OVA.
>>
>>13979449
>I love how trying to say anything nice about a show somehow is
>>turning /m/ into a hugbox
No, but constantly whinning about how "/m/ has turned into shit since we can't like things" is a sure sign that people just want hugboxs instead of coping with people bashing something you like.

>>13979450
>>13979460
WAAAH STOP TRYING TO NOT HAVE A HUGBOX WAAAAAAAH
>>
>>13979516
You are being disingenuous. I'm not criticizing people who point out flaws, or disagree on content.

I'm criticizing those who are actively trying to shut down all discussion with negativity. It's one thing to say "I don't like thing." It's another thing to say "This thing sucks, and I will do everything to prevent any discussion of it. Again, does that tactic not create a circlejerk akin to a hugbox? How about instead of having everyone like a show, or forcing everyone to hate a show, people just discuss their own fucking opinions?

Granted I'm just discussing a phenomena that's hurting a ton of /m/ threads. This thread has just turned into a meta thread.
>>
>>13979547
>I'm criticizing those who are actively trying to shut down all discussion with negativity.
So, in summary, "they're out to get us"?
Geez kid, tone down with the paranoia a little bit. Just accept that not everyone likes to be in hugbox and move on.
>>
>>13979561
It's not paranoia when it happens on /m/ on a daily basis. If not an hourly basis. For years now.

Zeta threads, G-reco threads, infinite stratos, Valrave threads, Shin Mazinger threads, Getter robo threads, and who knows what the fuck else over the years.

>Just accept that not everyone likes to be in hugbox
And this is precisely why I fucking oppose it. There is nothing to be gained from
>THIS SHOW IS FUCKING SHIT AND YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DISCUSS IT
It harms discussion and creates a hugbox. both positive, and negative opinions should be allowed.
>>
>>13979590

> There is nothing to be gained from
> THIS SHOW IS FUCKING SHIT AND YOU SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO DISCUSS IT

I don't think anyone in the thread has actually said that.
>>
>>13967161
>>13967167
>>13962615

I watched it back to back too and I actually got angry. Even if things are bad I rarely get angry.

It's just so hollow. They tried to copy the themes from the original but they only copied it and it didn't mean anything. The ending being ripped from Gunbuster was horribly shallow too.
>>
>>13979631

So it's hollow and shallow just like Gunbuster is. Sounds like a decent copy to me.
>>
>>13961197
The last episode proved the scientist's theory about the space monsters correct
>>
>>13979619
>I don't think anyone in the thread has actually said that.
YES THEY DID READ THE THREAD THEY'RE OUT TO GET US AND DESTROY OUR HUGBOXES
>>
>>13979654
You're being way more obnoxious and autistic than a hugbox or a circle jerk.
There is a difference between discussion through a difference of opinions and people saying "it's shit but you won't admit it". Honestly at least a hugbox gets discussion about the work itself. Either discuss its failings within the anime instead of resorting to shitposting or leave.
>>
>>13979652

That scientist's theory was flawed as fuck.

He claims the monsters want to destroy humankind because they consider us a bacteria from which the rest of the universe has no benefit, yet the space monsters themselves are parasites that use stars/suns as incubators for their eggs, which destroy said stars upon hatching. If you look at it closely, the only two people in the OVA who seemed to be approving of the monsters' goal, said scientist and that guy who was escorting Kazumi, were nihilists who viewed humankind as parasites that should just give up and let the monsters do as they please.
>>
>>13979766
Makes sense to me
>>
>>13979776

How does it make sense if the monsters themselves were not benefitial to the universe at all, instead destroying suns and countless worlds that circled them by proxy? I can imagine though, that the actual reason why space monsters targeted Earth was because humankind had the means to oppose them, not because they saw us as bacteria.
>>
>>13979791
More space

> I can imagine
Keep your headcanon to yourself.
>>
>>13961197
Best ani/m/e I've seen. The science makes no sense but I love that kind of stuff.

FYI to any fans of Gunbuster, [EG] released it in HD with original audio, and in the comments there are patches to sub the previously untranslated science lessons from 2012
>>
>>13979799

>discussing theories is bad!
>>
>>13979813

>The science makes no sense but I love that kind of stuff

If you're talking about time dilation, it's been observed and proven to an extent long ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
>>
>What if we took "Aim to the Top"
>...and added robots
>and a giant space war
>and time dilation

That's basically it. That's why it has such a sports feel to it. Athletic training, Coach as main character, robots doing pushups, they wear tennis style athletic gear.
>>
File: SCIENCE.jpg (233 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
SCIENCE.jpg
233 KB, 800x600
>>13979837
I don't think he was talking about the time dilation (though there were more than a few inaccuracies in Gunbuster's depiction of that).

He was probably talking about all the other science in Gunbuster. Which generally does a great job of sounding highly technical, and does have some grounding in real science (or at least things that were real science at the time), but still mostly consists of made-up bullshit.
>>
>>13979829
It is when you pull shit out your ass like a headcanon spouting retard, yeah.
>>
>>13979861
Yeah but what you described sounds cool and gunbuster was cool.
>>
>>13979923

Something being "cool" means literally nothing.
>>
>>13979940
Our lives literally mean nothing.
>>
>>13979940
> How was the show?
> It was kind of silly, but it was still fun
> THAT MEANS NOTHING
> Um, okay... it wasn't perfect, but it was still cool?
> THAT STILL MEANS NOTHING
> Well it had some far-fetched ideas, the science was pixie dust, not all the characters were that deep, and the plot was pretty basic, but despite that it still managed to tell an entertaining story?
> HOW CAN IT BE ENTERTAINING IF THIS SCIENCE WAS NOT SOUND AND THIS CHARACTER WAS A RETARD AND
> It just was, what's your beef?
> THIS IS NOT YOUR HUGBOX

Just how /m/ seems to be these days. It's like a druggie who's built up so much tolerance they just can't get the high anymore. The slightest imperfections condemn an entire series, and anyone who can actually shrug off the bad to savor the good is now a tasteless underage retard. Heck, anyone who openly criticizes it but still points out its good qualities, and doesn't just go full bore apeshit at it for daring to be imperfect? Infantile plebians for not striving for the one true art.

Sad really.
>>
>>13980005
Hey it's bad that /m/ isn't the hugbox you expected it to be, but there's still Reddit you know?
>>
>>13980005

> How was the show?
> It was kind of silly, but it was still fun

Now jus replace the rest of your spiel with:

> and being sully but fun doesn't make it great or even good in some people's eyes
> okay.jpg
>>
>>13980061
BUT MUH /M/
YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO AGREE WITH MEE WAAAAAAH
>>
>>13980010

>le Reddit, this le Reddit that, go to le Reddit for hugbox

Is it the only counter-argument your nut-sized brain can come up with?
>>
Every other series like gundam, getter, mazinger, giant robo, votoms, logh all get their fair share of unwarranted shitposting, and all of them deal with it in their own way.

Why can't gunbuster fags just deal with criticism instead of whining about how /m/ isn't partaking in their hugbox?

Oh that's right, I know why. You fucks think you're some special snowflakes who can't accept the fact that not everyone likes your favourite show.

Deal with it fags.
>>
>>13980108
Well, gotta post simple arguments against simple circlejerkers like you.
>>
>>13980183
See >>13980067
>>
File: wow.jpg (26 KB, 560x458) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
26 KB, 560x458
>>13976107
>they're lambasting it like it's some black sheep of the mecha genre and treat anyone who happens to like it as a tasteless plebeian.

Welcome to /m/. Where the fuck did you think you were?

http://desustorage.org/m/thread/13758097
Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.