[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I have "marathoned" myself in the last weeks trough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 21
File: ms-scream-a-lot.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
ms-scream-a-lot.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
So, I have "marathoned" myself in the last weeks trough all Macross animated material, and I feel a bit depressed by the show.

I always feel everyone and their mom gets screwed even when you think they do not (like movie-Alto).

Is the overall Macross tone depressing for you too?
>>
Basara seems like he's living the dream
>>
Seriously? Macross is pretty upbeat despite how often people die in it.
>>
>>13935667
But in detriment of his friends imo.
>>
>>13935682
Well that's because Basara is Basara. He doesn't care about anything but music. As much as his friends worry about him, it's not like they're doing poorly in life.
>>
>>13935681
That is what I got: Megaroad missing; Guld dead; Basara MIA4ever; Sara MIA; Alto MIA and so on. I feel there is no "closure" for anyone, dunno, maybe I got burned-out by watching it nonstop.
>>
Alto comes back at the end of the movie though
>>
I marathoned the entire franchise in the last month too and I thought the entire thing was upbeat. Macross is a really utopian vision of a future where, even if not everyone's life turns out perfect, humanity as a whole will always live on and thrive through all the hardships it faces.

I mean, the best character ever, Roy Focker, dies and he still manages to come back in flashbacks and Zero and make the viewer feel good about themselves and the world. Macross made me really happy.

I'm thinking the open endings are just leaving you a bit unsatisfied. Sara is gone but Shin disappeared with her to some sort of protoculture higher living existence. We don't know what happens to Basara but we know for sure he lived on following his dreams and ideals. Alto and Sheryl overcame their issues and got the happy love end.

Megaroad One I'll give you though. Who knows what happened there. Also, anything green like Ranka, Guld, etc. Kawamori hates green.
>>
>>13935728
What? Never saw that lol
>>
>>13935733
Wasn´t the Frontier "Mayan Island" movie based off Shin`s memoirs? They even said so in the movie, maybe it was ghostwritten?
>>
File: physica.jpg (18 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
physica.jpg
18 KB, 500x375
>>13935681
>>
>>13935748

I thought it was Mao's? Anyways, if it was Shin's it could explain how two generations of mixing from a pure Polynesian gave an Aryan goddess in Sheryl.

Also, lol at that pilot who was getting cucked. That was fucked up.
>>
File: guvava_sad.jpg (80 KB, 812x604) Image search: [Google]
guvava_sad.jpg
80 KB, 812x604
>>13935751
>>
>>13935763
*said so in the TV; the guy said it was Shin`s Memoirs, dunno if written by Mao or someone else. I did not imagine him going to the same place as Sara as the wtfdissapeared way before his plane was saved by spacemagic.
>>
>>13935751
>NTR'ed by proxy
>>
>>13935769
Post more Guvava.
>>
File: guvava_kawai.jpg (159 KB, 1008x752) Image search: [Google]
guvava_kawai.jpg
159 KB, 1008x752
>>13935867
As you wish
>>
>>13935867
>>13935935
I can't look at it and not remember that blood-sucking thing in VOTOMS.
>>
File: guvava_sad3.jpg (171 KB, 1014x758) Image search: [Google]
guvava_sad3.jpg
171 KB, 1014x758
>>13935959
>>
>>13935667
POWER TO THE DREAM
>>
>>13936052
POWER TO THE UNIVERSE
>>
>>13935660
This is how I felt about MSG and Zeta. Macross is generally happier, especially 7, even though a lot of people get fucked over.
>>
>>13935703
>Basara MIA4ever
It is official that he's fine at least as of 2060, there was a new Fire Bomber album.
>>
>>13936259
There's a good chance Delta will have 7 or Frontier cameos
>>
File: vlcsna12.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vlcsna12.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>13935660
Huh.. i too just finished this.
I found it to be pretty enjoyable but a bit sad it's over. Would have been nice if this evolved into more of a space opera having Basara travel the galaxy singing from to planet, this had so much potential.

Anyone have the meme image of Gigile after he listened to Basara's song?
>>
File: happy floof.png (156 KB, 668x686) Image search: [Google]
happy floof.png
156 KB, 668x686
>>13935974
>>
File: guvava.png (119 KB, 629x552) Image search: [Google]
guvava.png
119 KB, 629x552
>>13936331
>>
File: First I was.png (501 KB, 639x1226) Image search: [Google]
First I was.png
501 KB, 639x1226
>>13936324
I do because I made it
>>
>>13936368
Thank you a million times anon.
Been searching everywhere for this.
>>
>>13936324
I was fine with it. Frontier continues the story in a sense since it's also on a colony ship. The setting was really cool and made the boring episodes as fun as the crazy stuff. SDF is a classic, but 7 is a good example of a sequel being as good as the original.
>>
>>13936297
Maybe we will have a Fire Bomber X Walkure concert?
>>
Anybody have a good image of Sheryl I can use as a phone background? Everything I find is either too lewd or shitty quality. Preferably something like this or the Diamond Crevasse cover.

To keep it on topic, whose character arc is everyone's favourite in Macross? I have to give it to Sheryl. She's basically the perfect woman by the end of her story.

Favourite character is Roy though. I wish he was my Dad.
>>
>>13936602
sorry but minmay
sheryl is more complex I guess
>>
Macross is grim as hell when you think about it as a universe.
>Humanity as we know it essentially went extinct after the original human-zentradi war

>Almost everybody is a clone from one of the original survivors or descended from either one or cultured zentradi who have an enthusiastic but clumsy understanding of what it is to be free and not a weapon

>Even if they all look human and do their best to recreate and live by the cultures of old Earth the natural evolution of said cultures has ended, they're gone, everybody is essentially LARPing and pretending they're still Earthlings

>In a couple generations there won't be anyone alive that actualy knew how Earth and its incredible diversity of peoples wer before it was all glassed by the zentradi

>There are still a fuckton of uncontacted zentradi fleets that present a seriosu danger to far off colonies and it's possible hardliners could unite as one massive force once they realize they're being systematically cultured

>there's also shit like the protodevlin and the vajra lurking around

>The fate of the Megaroad couldn't have just been an accident, they found or were found by -something-
>>
>>13937919
protodeviln are nice guys now though anon
If humans were really in trouble basara could just call Gepelnitchi to deal with it
>>
>>13937955
as for Vajra, isn't the Aimo song supposed to communicate across galaxies? I can see the Vajra being pretty cool with humanity after Ranka and Co. made peace with them.
>>
>>13937919

I'll give you the loss of pre-war cultural diversity; though, considering that the the scope of damage to this extends to "let's plaster the planet in main cannon fire" it's only natural that the baseline condition of "holy shit we're still here" is considered a miracle in and of itself. No point to culture when there's nothing living to appreciate it.

It's still presented in a less hilarious manner than in Macross II where they build recreations of historical monuments into Macross City.

Grand Cannons III/V in African and Brazil sheltered some people so they're not all LARPing. Just some. A very big some though, can't disagree with that. The cloning also resurfaced numerous genetic diseases but technically the similarity in DNA down to an individual's level should make that issue less of a threat than it sounds like.

The issue with the Vajra and the Protodevlin is that one has been successfully communicated with and the other is now content to spend forever plying the cosmic highway after gaining the ability produce their own inner energy. The Protodevlin are just short of forming a band and singing for pay in a colony bar stage somewhere.

To stir up the Vajra again you'd probably need to do something mindlessly evil like steal their eggs from within their nests. The space whales were just huge to the point of physical resistance but the Vajra, they've clearly had their own share of scrapes throughout the universe's timeline to have evolved dedicated limbs as weapons long before the Protoculture made it to the stars; short of an actual full-strength battle fleet, that's well away from happening.

Now, Megaroad being found by something and purposely captured with intent, though, that's a new Macross series many would pay to see happen.

All in all it's a lot more upbeat than knowing than an overpopulated Earth is 5 minutes from total destruction only due to an almost-dead old man and his toilet seat of gold.
>>
>>13937919
Well, the races are all genetically close enough to make babies together.

Besides, humanity being extinct isn't exactly a problem. The only ones who would think of that as a problem are the purists.
The goal of life in general is to make babies and pass down the genes, over a long time a species that does that successfully would change into another species. The original species is gone, perhaps, but is that a problem? Not really. The successful/useful traits(and also culture, knowledge, etc)are passed down, and that's a victory for that species.

Macross always had a theme of everyone barring the Protodevlin and Vajra being descended from the Protoculture. Some variation in the DNA here and there, but they're all still genetically close enough to make babies so it doesn't really matter.
The important stuff to pass down is the culture, knowledge, skills, and perhaps history, and they did pass all of those down to this mixed group of human, zentradi, zolan, etc, and that's a win.
>>
File: Heeroshima.png (122 KB, 400x368) Image search: [Google]
Heeroshima.png
122 KB, 400x368
>>13936602
>a good image of Sheryl
>>
So what's up with the supervision army
>>
>>13938148
A bunch of zentradi brainwashed by the protodevlin.
>>
When is the FB7 movie in Frontier´s timeline? It looks like it happens in the middle of the TV series. Also, wru Alto lol
>>
>>13938279
Somewhere near the end
>>
>>13937994
Toilet seat full of gold?
>>
File: 1446218202112.png (756 KB, 850x776) Image search: [Google]
1446218202112.png
756 KB, 850x776
>>13936602
how lewd is too lewd? a lot has midriff cause she is a performer
>>
>>13940167
>>
>>13940175
>>
>>13938279
Definitely before episode 21, other than that there aren't many clues
>>
File: B8IAtO7CIAAFfpK.png large.png (522 KB, 600x510) Image search: [Google]
B8IAtO7CIAAFfpK.png large.png
522 KB, 600x510
>>13936602
>>
>>13936602
>>
>>13938279
I think it takes place in the movie universe, between both movies, since Klan is a high school student instead of a college one.
>>
File: B8xGvxYCIAAw_V4.png large.png (571 KB, 923x636) Image search: [Google]
B8xGvxYCIAAw_V4.png large.png
571 KB, 923x636
>>13940202
>>
File: 1209530897186.jpg (53 KB, 340x275) Image search: [Google]
1209530897186.jpg
53 KB, 340x275
>>13937919
I would have to disagree with you. Fundamentally dangerous, but not hopeless. Quite the opposite infact.

Every after the first demonstrates how far from the brink humanity has come. Macross Plus showed a generation that grew up on Eden. Macross 7 follows a colony ship where people are surviving and thriving with 14 year olds driving cars and old warriors settling down to raise families. Dynamite even shows humans have made contact with non zentraedi races and at least are conducting trade with them. Frontier showed us two colony fleets find a home. What we've seen of Delta is another planet that has been fully colonized way out in the reaches. You've got a glorified and well funded public health team traveling the area to deal with an emergent illness. Keep in mind this is not even 100 years after the Rain of Death.

There is the loss of old cultures, with people trying to salvage what they can, but they are also building new cultures and communities.

It reminds me of another scifi series.

"But everywhere Humans go, they create communities out of diverse, and sometimes hostile, populations. It is a great gift and a terrible responsibility--one that cannot be abandoned." - Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
>>
>>13940236
Now that is a nice one! Thanks!
>>
>>13939953
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Emperor_of_Mankind
>>
>>13940317
I agree with your post but I just wanted to say I fucking hate Babylon 5 with a passion.
>>
>>13941099
Go away 40k autist
>>
>>13941099
wtf does that have to do with Macross?
>>
>>13935703
> I feel there is no "closure" for anyone, dunno, maybe I got burned-out by watching it nonstop.

Quite the opposite, actually. No one gets a generic happily ever after ending, due to tradition.

The reason that the Megaroad happened and poofed away the main cast of SDF was because Kawamori didn't want Hikaru and Minmay to be "The Main Characters of Macross" forever. He absolutely hated the idea of making a new show and fans being "But where is Hikaru?".

Basically, you know how Amuro and Char were always important for most of early UC, even if they were not the protagonist? Kawamori wanted that idea to fuck right off. So instead, at the end of every Macross he finds a way to take the important people out of play. Isamu didn't have to die because his stunts meant that his career with the UN Spacy was over.
>>
>>13943086
It would be pretty hard to do that in a post-Frontier world considering they colonized a planet unless it disappeared into a black hole or something
>>
>>13943100
Kawamori does not want Hikaru, Misa and Minmay back but will problably bring Genius family back for Delta. Wtf?
>>
This thread really makes me want to rewatch the series, and I hate researching shit.
>>
>>13944740
Rewatch, damn autocorrect.
>>
>>13944634

The Jenius family is probably Kawamori's favorite go-to for inter-series link characters. He just likes using them in other appearances as and when he likes it.

That said, though, the other anon has a point. Nobody ever asks "where's the Jenius?", they always say "I wish we had more Basara" or "I wish we had more Isamu". Nobody flailed about having a Jenius until Mirage was announced and nobody flailed about Max/Millia until the most recent VA meet session.

Granted, galactic distance should have been enough to keep the Megaroad fleet out of the focus so there wasn't really a need to take them out completely if that was Kawamori's sole intention, but then again, knowing Kawamori and the fleet's vague end, I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything for the rest of my life. Given Macross, it sounds perfectly plausible for them to reappear leading a Zentran/Meltran/Vajra combined fleet out of space-time's wobbly ass to save the characters of any new series at its climax.

7 Max meeting SDF Hikaru in Macross 30 must have been a pretty nice moment, though.
>>
>>13935660
bittersweet
>>
>>13944832
I really thought we were going to have some info on Megaroad after we see Mr. Birler with his Minmay ring.
>>
>>13945022

At this point Kawamori's literally fucking with us.
>>
>>13935703
But Alto does come back after the movie
>>
>>13945138
I would too, if I had as many people asking about it as he probably does.
>>
>>13945232
Where is that info please?
>>
>>13946831
The BDs for Sayanora no Tsubasa had a scene where a glowy thing was flying towards the planet.

Also, Sheryl's earring glowing for a moment at the end right before her lips moved.
>>
>>13935703
>Basara MIA4ever

That's just Basara though, they'll always be detecting his song energy from whatever remote location he's singing in.

He's also effectively immortal since his song energy can give rejuvenate life, he's an eternal wandering bard
>>
>>13946868
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5PO6tttHZQ

Now I saw it, thanks!
>>
Just watched episode two of Dynamite 7.

What the fuck was that? Did Mylene actually just get raped by a delicious cougar? I mean, she's shit and deserves to be raped but what the fuck?
>>
>>13949523
Almost-rape. Almost.
>>
>>13949523
I really felt that shit was out of place.
>>
>>13951602
Especially since it had nothing to do with anything else and was never brought up again
>>
>>13951851
If it was a subterfuge for Basara to come back, but he does not give a fuck.
>>
>>13935737
It was revealed in movie side material. Kawamori even went on record saying that him and Sheryl would probably marry.
>>
Seriously though why did Basara eat that leaf
>>
>>13953565
He was hungry el o el
>>
>>13953527
need pics so we can end the shipping wars
>>
I tried by I couldn't get through the original Macross. I seriously wanted to throat-punch Minmei after a while.

I don't know why, but I couldn't shake the feeling that she was an emotionally unstable, manipulative sociopath.
>>
>>13957585
Maybe you can make through it knowing that she fucking loses
>>
>>13957585

She is.

If you still couldn't make it through the series with all the other aspects of it I'm guessing it's just not for you, bro. That's okay.
>>
>>13951602
>>13951851
It's an /m/ OVA made in the 80s-90s so there has to be at least one overtly sexual, possibly rape-like scene in it
>>
>>13957585
>>13957690
She's not a sociopath, she's just a dumbass teenage girl who got in over her head.

Look just watch Macross knowing she loses to the better girl okay
>>
>>13953565

Basara works in mysterious ways, but is always working for good.
>>
>>13957585
No, she's just your typical self-centered teenage girl who gets caught up in fame. Basically a Hollywood celebrity lite. By the time she realizes she does kind of like Hikaru, she's already done too much damage. Hikaru is worse than her imo, he keeps crawling back to her for way too long. But he's still a young boy, too, so don't read too much into it. Kids are fucking dumb.
>>
Hey, would Basara/fold waves have had any effect on angry vajra?
>>
>>13961026

Has he been infected with Vajra parasites yet?
>>
>>13961026
I don't think so, or at least not as easily. He'd have to have enough Fold Crystals to make up for the fact that he doesn't have Vajra parts in him like Ranka or is a Nome like Sheryl
>>
>>13961026
>>13961064
>>13961085
You're insane if you think his autism wouldn't get through them
>>
>>13961108
They don't understand human language. They don't even understand singing to them unless you have Vajra inside you
>>
>>13961134
Song Energy isn't just about the singing though, it's about the emotion.
>>
Speaking of 7, do you guys think Gamlin has his own fleet by now?
>>
>>13961136
Yeah and that worked for the Protodevlin but it wouldn't work on the Vajra because just singing to them isn't going to work. They are a lifeform beyond human communication without Vajra parts or fold crystals and even that's not actually something that worked all the time
>>
So did the protoculture make apes or are humans in macross simply not related to anything else on earth
>>
>>13961156
I bet he is a drunktard after all that MYLENE MYLENE MYLENE.
>>
>>13961226
I feel he kinda does not give a flying fuck over her in Dynamite 7; he cares more for Basara because he became a fan.
>>
>>13957585
Keep watching, you will discover that almost all characters are fucking retards and assholes except for the people who died, Misa and Max.
>>
>>13965013
But at least they died in a glorious kamikaze to Britai´s face.
>>
>>13938138
Pedo detected
>>
>>13944634

Max is not the main character, he never was. He's just a guy that lets you know we're in the same universe.
>>
>>13961026

It depends on how they react to the Anima Spiritia.
>>
File: dies in magma.png (925 KB, 633x943) Image search: [Google]
dies in magma.png
925 KB, 633x943
>>13964991
>Much more than a warm friendship
>>
File: 1373383634128.jpg (109 KB, 406x406) Image search: [Google]
1373383634128.jpg
109 KB, 406x406
>>13965226
>>
when Macross 30 is going to be translated?
>>
>>13957704

What about that time they were about to fall into a star and he wouldn't help them out because he was too busy singing?
>>
>>13961026

Honeybees are known to communicate by dancing and vibrating to other members of their hive to show where food is. Most likely they would all be vibrating and dancing to his uta
>>
>>13968532

Basara's singing gave them the will to work towards their goals and save the colony.

TOTSUGEKI LOVE HEAAAAAAAAAAAAART
>>
>>13941102

You're a monster.
>>
>>13968532
He did help them out though, his singing was what allowed Battle 7 to find them and kept the enemy distracted so Gamlin could make emergency repairs.
>>
>>13968771
Nah, he just did not give a fuck. It happened to help, but he did not intend it.
>>
>>13935660
Max is still out there boning, and owning motherfuckers in his blue 22. Cant be all doom and gloom.
>>
>>13974846

If Kawamori ever goes there I wonder if it's going to be a -22 variant upgraded with a -25 ICS and engines, or if he's already moved on to his fresh new -29 or -31.
>>
>>13975062
or a wheelchair for how old he is lol
>>
>>13977692

You can't fathom the mad wheelies he can do with an ICS-equipped wheelchair.
>>
>>13977692
>Thinking that age can stop Max
He doesn't look his age in Macross 7, he's like 50 there.

He'll probably look exactly the same if we do see him, and he'll continue to kick ass.
>>
I just finished watching the original show.
Holy Christ, Minmay is such a bitch. Terrible show, thanks to her.
>>
>>13981042

Cool blogpost fag.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.