[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your opinions on Genocyber? Always felt it had an u
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: genocyber.jpg (303 KB, 988x1017) Image search: [Google]
genocyber.jpg
303 KB, 988x1017
What are your opinions on Genocyber? Always felt it had an unfair reputation from people disgusted by the gore. The first OVA is probably one of my favorite apocalyptic stories because it really nailed the feeling of everything just spiraling out of control into complete chaos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRbhbpjdgc
>>
>>13935082
Fucking amazing, want more like it.
I actually really enjoy the world building in episodes 4 and 5. It's got a very rustic look to it all.
>>
It's experimental and not for everyone, so I understand the bad reputation. But I feel that it's very underrated. I love the surreal horror vibe. The OST is great. One of the best 80s OVAs in my book.
>>
Batshit insane.
>>
>>13935237
Seriously, is there a single anime as violent as genocyber?
Someone post that one webm. You know the one.
>>
Scarred me as a child. Watching it years later made me laugh at the comical levels of gore and sad autistic girls.

Episode 1 is definitely my favorite.

>>13935488
MD Geist and Apocalypse Zero come close.
>>
>>13935488
In terms of the sheer amount of it, and it consistently being so over the top, disgusting, and graphically depicted, the OVA is probably unmatched overall. A lot of the 80s OVAs have gore scenes, but Genocyber is just merciless and non-stop.

Although they are separate OVAs, Violence Jack is pretty extreme, particularly the second OVA. The mass rape/murder scene is easily one of the most crazy gore scenes ever.
>>
>>13935550
M.D Geist didn't have kids getting murdered.
And yeah episode one is great. The way they split live action with animation was so cool.

>>13935556
Thanks for reminding me I gotta see Violence Jack.
>>
>>13935563
I think the sequel did have kids getting slaughtered. I recall it being even gorier than the original.
>>
>>13935082
Yeah, the unfair rep comes from the earliest faggot anime reviewers of the time giving it a bad rap. It's really a pretty crazy OVA. It always makes me feel pretty uncomfortable at times, but shit like the doctor waking up tied to a bed with his torso split open is pretty fucking funny you have to admit. Of course, scenes like the sister who was sane being taken apart and having her head put into a fucking case was pretty disturbing to me for some reason.
>>
Fun fact, the name Genocyber makes a cameo in the dub of Cybernetics Guardian.

>>13935579
The only kid I remember dying in Death Force was the blonde kid. It was a big dramatic moment too. Unlike in Genocyber where they just get slaughtered casually.
Who was the father of Vaiyas son? Did she extract Geists sperm while he was sleeping? Does Geist know? Would he even care? Probably not.
>>
>>13935621
He just a soljah!
>>
>>13935631
I remember when I first heard the song, I thought he was saying "salsa"
>>
MD Geist and Genocyber BDs when
>>
File: dataalbum.jpg (289 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
dataalbum.jpg
289 KB, 1200x1600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YrTH3eyBDI
Interesting video that has an interview with Ohata, the direction of Genocyber.

Does anyone know what the M.D Geist data albums contain? Is it just the ova in comic format, or is it more like an encyclopedia?
>>
>>13935672
There's a preview of what's in it on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Geist-Data-Album-1/dp/156219903X
>>
>>13935713
>http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Geist-Data-Album-1/dp/156219903X
Thanks, looks neat.
Any scans available? If not, I might have to make them available.
>>
>>13935732
Not that I know of. Was gonna do them myself next month if not but they'd probably be shit since I've never done scans before.
>>
File: tmp_6897-GenocyberNoC6603179794.jpg (137 KB, 1207x1009) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6897-GenocyberNoC6603179794.jpg
137 KB, 1207x1009
>>13935082
Fucking normalfags can't handle it.

I love the bleakness of the show. Goes great with a bottle of vodka. Also cute girl.
>>
>>13935739
Poorly done scans are always better than no scans. Thank you anon.

>>13935741
I never got this.
>hurr this ultraviolent ova is terrible for having ultraviolence.
>>
>>13935779
You can blame a certain individual for this.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=6794
>>
>>13935082
Would anyone here be up for streaming Genocyber or another one of Ohatas works together?
>>
>>13935788
I would watch.

I don't want to be committed to streaming the entire Genocyber OVA, but I could stream an episode or two, MD Geist, or Cybernetics Guardian if there is interest and no one else wants to do it.
>>
>>13935800
Geist sounds good, since it's short.
>>
>>13935779
Oh yeah the OVA has a violence warning and age rating. People knew what they were getting themselves into.
>>
>>13935816
Fuck, imagine seeing this as a kid.
>MUMMY, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO THE GIRL
>>
File: 1456526403825.jpg (30 KB, 400x384) Image search: [Google]
1456526403825.jpg
30 KB, 400x384
>>13935816
what's going on in this picture
>>
>>13935833
One of the few good moments Daina had before something or someone made her nihilistic psychic rage go out of control
>>
First episode is great, the others are alright.

Not as good as geist or cybernetics guardian imo
>>
>>13935978
Guardian was fucking boring imo
>>
It's up there with the likes of Apocalypse Zero.
Really enjoyed it.
>>
>>13935820
never saw Genocyber, although I did have a somewhat similar experience with the Battle Angel OVA when I was 8

>>13935978
Cybernetics Guardian is pretty good
>>
>>13935978
>>13936080
Cybertnetics Guardian felt like a pilot Ohata sent to some company that never took off he decided to later release as a standalone.
>>
>>13936230
Yeah it's cool but it feels incomplete and by far the weakest of his 80s-90s OVAs.
>>
>>13935082
>it had an unfair reputation from people disgusted by the gore

Years ago I was among that crowed. After hanging out with /m/,it opened my mind a lot and started watching OVAs and started enjoyed them for what they were.

Consequently I decided to give M.D Geist and Genocyber a fair chance. As long as violence and gore is not some Ero-Guro shit them I am ok.

Watching the 1st 2 episodes made me have immense respect for the animators.It takes a lot of talent to animate that violence in such detail. Since I liked M.D geist for it's nihistic tone , I liked ep 1 and 2 of Genocyber too. The ship turning into abomination where the crew just fuzed with it was my favorite horror thing in the OVA

But just like M.D geist part 2 , ep 3 part 1 and 2 were very boring. Still,I liked it for giving a peaceful ending which I think was necessary at that point,just like the ultimate nihilistic ending M.D.Geist 2 had.
>>
>>13937201
Personally I don't understand why people say Geist part 2 is boring.
Krauser is great to watch, hamming it up. And the Death Force is cool looking. Watching Krauser go insane and lose it all at the end is great.
>>
File: oedo808_decompression.webm (3 MB, 648x480) Image search: [Google]
oedo808_decompression.webm
3 MB, 648x480
>>13935082
Are there really people turned off by animated, stylized gore?
I just don't get it.
>>
>>13935082
I've always considered it top-tier science-fiction. Because of its reputation I was expecting pulpy trash but it's stylish, thoughtful and generally very well executed. Also part 3 is probably one of the most underrated things in anime.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (203 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
203 KB, 1920x1080
Can't remember much of it, but I've always thought this thing was a cutie t b h.

Also excellent soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRbhbpjdgc
>>
>>13935661
Likely never, as they never even made a blip on Japan's radar. I can only see it happening iif John O'Donnel comes back or Animeigo made a Kickstarter for it (admittedly their idea of remastering A.D. Police for the first time excites me. I think I like it better than BCG.)

Does anybody have the ADV release of Geist? I imagine it uses the same materials that the old DVD's did but I was wondering if they might have been encoded better.
>>
>>13938057
it doesn't look that goring
>>
>>13938483
John Odonnel is a dedicated man.
I have no doubt he'll treat Geist to the BD he deserves.
>>
>>13939309
What are the chances of him starting up a Kickstarter for it? His company's dead as a doornail and his employees scattered to the four winds.
>>
>>13938069
Those are some wildly incorrect opinions there.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.