[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, uh, I'm getting this feeling that Drive turned out really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: My fucking sides.webm (3 MB, 496x280) Image search: [Google]
My fucking sides.webm
3 MB, 496x280
So, uh, I'm getting this feeling that Drive turned out really great after I dropped it in episode 7 didn't it?
>>
>>13922622
Yeah, you missed out
>>
>>13922622
It's my favourite Rider in a long while. The first third is pretty weak but it gets amazing.

I'd even say Heart is the best Heisei villain.
>>
>>13922622
>even the monster gave a thumbs up
What?
>>
>>13922640
They're rusing the guy in glasses.
>>
>>13922640

He was in on it, it was a ruse
>>
>>13922650
>>13922648
I may have been too rash in dismissing Kamen Rider Drive after the first three episodes.

Also Captcha has some weird definitions of what qualifies as "fruit juice," as one of the answers is clearly a pint glass of beer.
>>
>>13922689
>I may have been too rash in dismissing Kamen Rider Drive after the first three episodes.
OP here, you can join my club as well
>>
>>13922622
That arc was so weird. Like, in concept it's really good, but everything surrounding Nira is just so over-the-top cartoony even by toku standards. I honestly can't figure out if it was great or ridiculous.
>>
File: 1429667616152.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1429667616152.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>13922622
It's pretty good, but I feel that it's not really quite as great as Double.

Sanjo went pretty stock-standard with Drive, it's all-around fun but it didn't have the suave of Double or the characters of Fourze.
>>
File: 1435674704113.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435674704113.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>13922709
I'm pretty sure it was both.
>>
>>13922622
it sucks pretty bad for the first ten or so episodes, but by the end I couldn't help but like it

fourze is irredeemable trash however, "da gurren lagaan man wrote it!!!" doesn't actually make something good
>>
>>13922769
>fourze is irredeemable
fucking lol
>>
>>13922834
deal with it, gentaro is barney in kamen rider form
>>
File: talk about justice.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
talk about justice.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>13922769
>that second paragraph completely out of left field
Dood what? Nobuddy was even talking about Fourze,
>>
>>13922622
It's pretty meh until you reach the middle and there's these two long story arcs with Freeze and Nira that are some of the best episodes in the entire franchise. And then it goes back to kind of meh again until the final arc which ends pretty nicely.

>>13922856
Fuck off Barneyfag.
>>
>>13922956
Eh, I preferred the Gold Drive stuff to the Nira stuff, Freeze was worst Roidmude. And the Tomaris dad mystery was way dragged out
>>
>>13924201

What the fuck was the point of Freeze? They make him out like he'd be one of the biggest villain and he's dead in like 2 episodes.
>>
>>13924212
I guess they wanted to shill Type Tridoron by having it murder someone important, but they had plans for all the regular Roidmudes
>>
>>13922622
Drive was incredibly standard by the books rider. But that doesn't mean it was bad, not at all. I think Drive was an example of telling a basic rider story very well, and that story is carried by it's characters who are all likable or interesting in their own way, especially Heart, who is one of the most interesting and endearing villains rider ever had. That being said it was far from perfect, it dragged on sometimes and 001 turned out to be a big let down, but as a whole, it's a flawed jewel.
>>
After Fourze, Wizard and Gaim it's pretty nice to see a Kamen Rider that actually feels like a Kamen Rider.

The beginning and middle are pretty heavy on the toy ads though. They even prolong Chase's arc just because his toys aren't ready.

I'm probably the only one who doesn't like the ending. It's so... lackluster and low budgeted. I guess Banno's final fight ate most of it.
>>
I never got the dislike for early episodes, it is just a cop show with fights which to me is great
>>
>>13924370
>I never got the dislike for early episodes
The toy pandering is honestly a little bit out of control for those first bunch of episodes even for Kamen Rider's general standards
>>
>>13922769
>"da gurren lagaan man wrote it!!!" doesn't actually make something good
Of course not. That would make it shit.
>>
>>13924370
>>13924495
People who bitched about Ghost having a new hoodie every week in the first few episodes forgot that Drive was way, way worse about it. There's as many as two or three new Shift Cars in any given episode, plus the sword and gun, plus the form changes. It's a shitload of toys.
>>
>>13925326
There was also the Shift Cars and their CG roads taking over (and ruining) several fighting scenes earlier in the show.
>>
>>13922769
>fourze is irredeemable trash however, "da gurren lagaan man wrote it!!!" doesn't actually make something good
I'll fight you
>>
>>13925815
I'm not that anon, but even you gotta admit Gamou was a retarded villain and that the arc on the moon was pants on head stupid. A rider's really only as good as his villain is.
>>
>>13922622
>>13922689
Ironically, Drive has a slow start.
>>
>>13925855
>but even you gotta admit Gamou was a retarded villain
I liked having a villain whose motivation wasnt some variation of world domination or genocide
>>
>>13925873
Tomari is literally a slow-starter. Mentions it himself late in the series actually.
>>
>>13925887
Not his primary motivation, but the whole endgame result was still going to be total global genocide no? Everybody in the world dies so Principle Red Eyes White Dragon can go to space and meet the AYYYliens?
>>
>>13926690
Not the whole world, at most half of it. And even if the byproduct is similar, a different motivation is nice
>>
>>13922689
>I may have been too rash in dismissing Kamen Rider Drive after the first three episodes.

You weren't. It's a pretty bad show with poorly paced stories and characters who feel largely inconsequential.
>>
>>13926789
You still watched the whole thing to come to that conclusion. What's wrong with letting other people do that and establish their own opinion on the show?
>>
>>13926822
>m-m-make them watch it a-a-all so they can enjoy it like me too haha, they'll like ZZ gundam if I pull this tactic too! I'm such a clever person, thank you mommy!
>>
>>13925326

Of all shows, OOO was probably the worst about this. In the first third he every full combo except Tajador and Shauta and the Greeed weren't even a challenge anymore. They had to write in him losing like 80% of his medals because otherwise he'd have all them in like 10 episodes.
>>
>>13926838
>In the first third he every full combo except Tajador and Shauta and the Greeed weren't even a challenge anymore
Not to mention Gamel and Mezool were essentially dead.
>>
>>13926822
I'm not saying the person can't watch the rest of the show. Just saying, based on my experience, dropping it early on isn't the worst idea and the person shouldn't lose any sleep over it. Go watch something else you don't question at all or that you've been meaning to start.
>>
>>13926848
Sometimes shows can get better over time though, like Blade. If someone wanted to drop that during the first 10 episodes, I wouldn't blame them but I'd still convince them to continue
>>
>>13926838
I did like them throwing all the medals into play fast then having them fight over them for the remainder, it explained why he didnt use certain forms for long periods of time
>>
>>13926848

Not him but, Japan in general doesn't know how to start a show. Or end it. They're good at the middle.

So telling someone that it gets better is not a bad thing with Japanese storytelling sometimes.
>>
>>13926859
Which is weird because OOO has a great beginning and ending but the middle is blech
>>
>>13926866

Really? I always thought of OOO as a bad first half, good second half.
>>
>>13926859
>>13926866

It's the fact that they're forced to run an entire year. Most shows don't have the story to justify an entire year's worth of content but, man, can you imagine something like Blade or Agito condensed to half a year? That's some great pacing that would never leave the viewer bored.
>>
File: Decade_Poster.jpg (174 KB, 623x495) Image search: [Google]
Decade_Poster.jpg
174 KB, 623x495
>>13926896

Yeah because a Rider that's only half as long could never fuck up
>>
>>13926896
Its not so much the length as much as they dont want to make things too arc based, they want plenty episodic fucking around sprinkled in for casual viewers
>>
>>13926908
That's not fair. That show had no story
>>
>>13926908
But that's implying Decade was bad because it was cut short, but the truth is the other way around.
>>
>>13922689
>fruit juice captcha
Watch gaim again
>>
>>13924348

This. For all its faults, Drive made me feel like I was actually watching Kamen Rider and not just a toku show they slapped that brand name onto. It had been a problem I had with the franchise for a while.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.