[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sci Fi Souls when? It's not like From will bother to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1446124089254.jpg (174 KB, 1018x568) Image search: [Google]
1446124089254.jpg
174 KB, 1018x568
Sci Fi Souls when?

It's not like From will bother to do Armored Core for a while.
>>
>>13919973
>Sci Fi Souls
>drawing still has melee

If there's one thing you should probably use in a Sci Fi setting it's a fucking gun. We already have plenty of games that focus on close ranged weapons already.
>>
>>13920008
Bloodborne had a lot of guns.
>>
>>13920008
>If there's one thing you should probably use in a Sci Fi setting it's a fucking gun

wot

Are you in the right spot? Tons of sci-fi mecha have melee.
>>
>>13919973

Actually, if you read Miyazaki's interviews from very recently, he states interest in revisiting Armored Core (either via sequel or reboot) if the fans say so. The Souls series, as far as I've read, ends with Dark Souls III.
>>
>>13920008
But moonlight blade, pilebunkers and boost drive
>>
>>13920008
I bet you play Tau fag
>>
>>13920514
It's far more likely that another company will eventually attempt this, maybe even more so once From is done with the series (including Bloodborne maybe). So far most of the Souls inspired games have been in a similar vein, or at least fantasy games, but someone will make it.
After replaying some PSO recently I've been really wanting to see someone take this idea on.
>>
>>13920514

But he's only made one game in the entire series, and it's the game that doesn't play like any other AC game.

I'd rather Ogawa make AC6. Yeah, Metal Wolf Chaos was a little actiony, but he struck a balance between action and needing to plan your moves.
>>
>>13920581
>But he's only made one game in the entire series, and it's the game that doesn't play like any other AC game.

Dude, 4/Answer play a lot more like the AC3 era games (prior to the introduction of Heat at least) than V/D.

The only difference is boost management becoming more about permaflight.
>>
>>13920593
>The only difference is boost management becoming more about permaflight.

That's my point. I feel like I can actually dodge shit.

They already perfected the formula at AC1.
>>
>>13920514
>The Souls series, as far as I've read, ends with Dark Souls III.

Souls ends with III.

But there's gonna be more "Souls" games. So we might get Demon Souls 2, Bloodborne 2, or another series with the same gameplay and style.
>>
>>13920008
>Sci-fi
>it's yet another shooter
Boring as shit man. Gimme futuristic melee like lightsabers and chainswords and I'm good to go
>>13919973
Armored souls. It's dark souls but with armored core designs. Do you play it?
>>
>>13920811
They're tired of making that shit. Miyazaki said so. And that they'll probably revisit the series sometime in the future.

But srsly. From is a talented studio and shouldn't waste their efforts confined on one franchise
>>
GUYS

WHAT IF
>>
>>13920978
Their first project is very likely to have mecha. Can't wait for reveal
>>
From needs to go back to Chromehounds.
>>
>>13919973
>Souls game with all the anime tropes
blech...that would be terrible.

Part of the reason why the games get such high praise is their fantasy-horror atmosphere. Why would you get rid of that?
>>
>>13921204
You wouldnt be removing anything from Souls, it'd be its own thing, seperate from it.

People just really want to tack Souls gameplay on to everything.
>>
>>13921204
HAVE YOU READ BLAME! YOU FUCKING NIGGER?

JUST BECAUSE OP USED THAT GAY-ASS MILLENIAL SCIFI PICTURE DOESN'T MEAN IT HAS TO LOOK LIKE THAT
>>
>>13921204
>Part of the reason why

No, it's not. It has always, ALWAYS been the gameplay. The setting in all the games except Bloodborne is generic high fantasy, and BB is just gothic horror.
>>
>>13921204
>fantasy-horror atmosphere
Yeah, no, that sucks. The gameplay is why I even bother, because it's fun and makes me feel like I'm a lot more skilled than I truly am after I figure out how to fight properly for my build.

The atmosphere is just "a lot of fairly vague depressing shit happens and people and monsters are sad forever now you live here." That's gay. It's really gay. Thankfully it's largely unimportant aside from some really cool side business (e.g. Sif).

In all honesty, the gameplay removes grinding for grinding's sake present in a lot of games, and makes it so that cultivating your build and tactics is worthwhile even if you get shit on until you figure it out.
>>
it already exists, it's called Vanquished.
>>
File: cant argue with that boner.jpg (20 KB, 324x289) Image search: [Google]
cant argue with that boner.jpg
20 KB, 324x289
>>13921263
>BLAME! souls like game
>>
>>13921437
>The atmosphere is just "a lot of fairly vague depressing shit happens and people and monsters are sad forever now you live here."
But subtract 'and monsters' and that also describes the atmosphere of armored core?
>>
>>13921263
>millenial sci fi picture
What does that mean?
>>
>>13919973
I can see it working if it goes for a similar world and atmosphere as BLAME!. Having the enemies as robots would allow for some interesting designs and gameplay scenarios.
You've got my money.
>>
>>13921468

No it isn't. Armored Core is about the struggle of corporations competing against each other for profit after a nuclear war forced everyone underground.

At least the first game was. They didn't hide the plot at all, you just had to pay attention to the mission briefings.
>>
>>13921511
Probably referring to the random kibbles and bits trash heap approach to design.
>>
>>13921543

But that's not millenial, kibble has been a thing since before 40k.
>>
>>13921539

The first game was a ps1 title, and thus put in minimal effort to convey any plot. Regardless, you specified atmosphere, not plot.

What I meant was that generally the Armored Core setting(s) exist in a perpetual twilight state, badly fucked over and teetering on the verge of utter annihilation, but never actually going there, persisting indefinitely. Anything positive is both only debatably so and a drop in the bucket that ultimately amounts to nothing, and the status quo always reasserts itself.

This description also applies to the souls setting. That's why I said they had similar atmospheres.
>>
File: white_glint.jpg (499 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
white_glint.jpg
499 KB, 1280x720
>>13919973
>not just booting up 4/Answer
>>
>>13921543
>>13921550
Yeah, it's more just western sci-fi than millennial.
>>
>>13921650
>and the status quo always reasserts itself.

That's not because of the atmosphere, it's because they reboot the timeline with almost every game.
>>
>>13921712
They don't really, there's only been about three timelines tops, barring the what if scenarios in Ninebreaker and Formula Front.
>>
>>13919973
Dark Souls 3 will be the last Souls style game, at least for a long while
>>
File: e6b.png (1 MB, 1158x1071) Image search: [Google]
e6b.png
1 MB, 1158x1071
>>13920008
>he doesn't stand here
>he doesn't realize
>>
>>13919973
id like to think if they did a tech souls it would be set in a world somewhat similar to BLAME!
but without the guns.
>>
>>13922528
Nice idea. Blame! Does provide a suiting atmosphere for souls.

https://youtu.be/ge18Ieyi9bI
Reminds of this
>>
>>13919973
Deep Down is what you're looking for, except it's been delayed for another three years.
>>
Fromsoft pls, bring back some old titles D:
>>
>>13924450
Isn't that more like assassin's Creed than dark souls? With its virtual reality gameplay? or am I just being dumb?
>>
>>13922007
Hopefully.
Jesus fuck can From drive a franchise into the ground through stagnation.
>>
>>13921437
To be honest I'm no all that fond of the Gameplay, I feel like the fact that it's so punishing just makes it feel padded and slow paced. If i die enough times and don't make enough progress over a long period i start to feel like the game is boring. Whenever it's not too hard it's actually fast and fun.
>>
>>13925736
That's why there's such a high anticipation for 3, because of stagnation. Riiiiiight.
>>
>>13925779
Yes, actually. When people like things they will invariably want more of the same. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that, though.
>>
>>13926499

If people didn't want more of the same, there wouldn't be a new pokemon game coming.
>>
>>13926560
Right. Sometimes all you want is to retread something you know you can enjoy with just enough difference or new content to feel novel.

I mean, that's why I keep buying Armored Core games, differing mechanics aside, they all amount to a similar experience of gradually watching my new robot take shape as I tweak it over the course of the game. That's not really an experience you can replicate by replaying the same game, but another entry can make me feel like I'm doing it for the first time again.

Coincidentally, the pokemon games have a very similar appeal vis a vi team building.
>>
>>13920956
Miyazaki can say the moon is the fucking sun for all he cares, if the owners of his studio tell him to make more Souls game what the fuck is he going to do? Leave the studio?
>>
>>13920978
Hope he doesn't mismanages the budget as catastrophically as in MGSV
>>
>>13924450
It still exists?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.