[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
started watching the 1979 gundam and im havieng a real struggle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11
File: mobile-suit-gundam.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
mobile-suit-gundam.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
started watching the 1979 gundam and im havieng a real struggle watching it due to the quality of the animation.

its nice for its time but i feel i have been spoiled by animation, would i be better watching the movies if this kind of stuff bothers me? im fairly early on in the story (episode 6) so i dont want to give up too early if the animation improves.
>>
>>13912007
The movies only have a few new scenes, they were made like 2 or 3 years later. The only reason I ever reccommend the movies is because the Newtype stuff is better foreshadowed and also the insert songs are amazing.
>>
>>13912007
I liked the movies
It's a tv show, do whatever you want man
You don't need our approval
>>
>>13912007
Do what most of us did and watch both
>>
>>13912007
The 0079 movies were my first experience of the Gundam franchise. I was so impressed by them that I've now seen pretty much everything in the franchise.
>>
>>13912030
This

Only option
>>
>>13912023
I know, i recently got back into gundam after watching gundam 00. absolutely loved (apart from the atmosphere change season 2) it so i looked into the other ones, apparently 79 is one of the best so i decided to give it a watch.
>>
Keep at it OP!

I forced myself to watch the entire shindig and while I never really got "into" the animation quality I didn't really mind it after episode 14 or so.
>>
>>13912007
>i dont want to give up too early if the animation improves
It actually gets worse as it goes on. The movies look significantly nicer, especially the third movie which is almost completely remade (and was conversely the worst-looking part of the show).
>>
It's quite possibly the single most overrated thing Japan has ever produced.

Well that and the Camry.
>>
>>13912182
calm down there, edgelord, or you might hurt somebody.
>>
>>13912007
It conveys what it needs to convey. If you actually hae any interest in character development or world building then continue with the series.
>>
>>13912084
>The movies look significantly nicer
No they don't, they look exactly the same.
>which is almost completely remade
Why would you lie on the internet? The movies don't look any different.
Take any screenshot from the first movie that coincides with a scene from the series - they look exactly the same.
The third movie only had one or two new fight scenes and even that wasn't noticeable.
You probably haven't seen 0079, and you're probably one of those faggots who only view it as something to "get through" to get to Zeta or CCA, despite the TV series being the absolute peak of the entire franchise. Fucking faggot kill yourself
>>
>>13912007
stop ruining this board and go back to >>>/a/
>>
>>13912084
>especially the third movie which is almost completely remade
Have you even watched the show? It's the same thing, man.
>>
File: 1435754029383.jpg (256 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1435754029383.jpg
256 KB, 480x720
>>13912007
Stop being a lil bitch.
>>
>>13912007
I watched the whole anime and gotta say the animation quality was more of a funny thing rather than a cringe thing
I liked the animation overall and it has some memorable moments(gundam swordfighting against gouf, gundam being torn apart, amuro meets dad, etc.)
>>
>>13912007
I'm about 3/4 of the way through the series, and it really is overrated. I hate the animation and its just something you have to stomach, there's something like 5 songs ever used, every episode and fight is basically "Just roll out the Gundam and tell Amuro to stop bitching", it just isn't very good.

I'd say it's a bit ahead of its time though, if it had the animation capacity of 0083 episodes like Operation Odessa and the Siege of Jaburo would have been x1000 more interesting.
>>
>>13912084
>It actually gets worse as it goes on.
This is factually incorrect. The post-cancellation part looks much better.
>>
>>13912957
Why do you have a name on?
>>
>>13914364
Agreed. All of the most notably awful looking episodes are contained within the first part of the series.
There's very little garbage animation later, they still recycle constantly, but it looks better.

I think Tomino smartly used as little cash as possible during the first portion of the show so that he could fo more later on, and ending the show in space makes background art way easier
>>
>>13914364
>The post-cancellation part looks much better
The post-cancellation part looks much worse with the exception of the last three episodes.

FTFY

>>13914527
The most awful looking episode was the island one and it was some bizarre filler shit.
>>
>>13912007
>due to the quality of the animation.
Kill yourself
>>
File: tumblr_mlddg9ebCR1qexxvao1_400.jpg (38 KB, 378x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlddg9ebCR1qexxvao1_400.jpg
38 KB, 378x500
>>13912007
You could always read "Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin." Only has a few minor differences from the anime, from what I've read so far.
>>
Watching old shows/movies is an art that you must perfect in order to fully enjoy said shows/movies.
>>
I must say i was in your exact situation. But after a while i really started to enjoy 0079 so much i really didn t pay anymore attention to graphics. Also, after the story begins to set in you LL get a lot of well handled battles, something that even some modern mecha animes lack.

Also, question in general: i just finished 0079, should i watch Z (mobile suit gundam 2 a.k.a. mobile suit gundam Z) now or should i watch something else before?
>>
>>13914749
Zeta's a direct sequel set a few years after MSG. And ZZ is a direct sequel to Zeta set like minutes after Zeta. And then Char's Counterattack is the grand finale.
>>
>>13914749
>should i watch Z (mobile suit gundam 2 a.k.a. mobile suit gundam Z)
I love how you thought we wouldn't know what "Z" meant. You're so adorable I could hug you right now!
>>
Should I watch the movies if I already watched the series for the updated animation?

On a similar topic, should I watch the Z movies? I read those were kinda bad.
>>
>>13912007
>>13912182
>>13914353
>>>/a/
>>
File: 1453480073647.jpg (162 KB, 959x721) Image search: [Google]
1453480073647.jpg
162 KB, 959x721
>>13914565
>Doan's island
>pre-cancellation
>>
>>13914881
Movies have some neat stuff. Newtypes are foreshadowed earlier, they cut out the G-Fighter/Armor/Sky and replace it with a booster for the Core Fighter. There's some reanimated and brand new scenes, and the new music is really good. If you don't feel like watching all three, the third movie is by far the best. You lose out on a lot of character moments (like the acting captain Mirai arc is cut entirely, and so is basically all of M'Quve) but the overall narrative and sci-fi vibes are a lot stronger.

Zeta movies suck shit, even if you're a huge fan of Zeta they fuck it up beyond belief and I don't really know what they were made for except for a quick cash grab and a less depressing ending tacked on at the last minute. Terrible pacing and some intense whiplash between 80s and 00s animation. Whereas I think the 0079 movies are a decent substitute for the show, the Zeta movies are absolutely not.
>>
>>13914967
How come 0079 gets all the cool shit (Origin and movies) while Zeta gets Define and A New Translation?
>>
Did Tomino make up Newtypes on the spot while 0079 was being produced or was it planned since the beginning?

Besides Matilda saying Amuro was such a good pilot that he could be an esper there's nothing about newtypes until Lalah appeared.
>>
>>13914976
Blame Bandai for wanting an anniversary project to celebrate it about two decades after the fact.
>>
File: 1378609270983.jpg (493 KB, 1162x850) Image search: [Google]
1378609270983.jpg
493 KB, 1162x850
I've personally never had a problem with 0079's "look", the great action choreography more than makes up for the wonky animation in my eyes.
>>
>>13915064
It's talked about more in the novels. They go on several tangents about the Flanagan Institute, evolution, and Zeon Zum Deikun's Newtype theory.

That's why the movies have her brief Bright on Newtypes and show Revil talking about em once or twice. They also incorporated other novel stuff, like Gihren's seceretary and changed Dr. Flanagan's character design.

My guess is they were probably meant to be expounded on but then the episode count got cut and they had to make do.
>>
File: tmp_9281-sayla-280132112.jpg (86 KB, 505x783) Image search: [Google]
tmp_9281-sayla-280132112.jpg
86 KB, 505x783
>>13912007
It has a enjoyable story and great characters so I can handle the bad animation.

Mind you we are all watching this stuff now in at least 720p on a widescreen, back in the day it must have looked more decent.
>>
>>13915137
I wonder why Sayla became so unimportant after 0079.
>>
>>13915202
Voice actress often became unavailable and Japan is normally pretty against recasting characters.
>>
>>13915257
But she was in Zeta and ZZ and did basically nothing, did she become unavailable for CCA?
>>
>>13915273
she didn't have any lines in Zeta, didn't speak a word
>>
>>13915282
And she only had a handful of lines in like one episode of ZZ near the end.

She had a cameo in the last of the ANT trilogy but even then that was archival audio because You Inoue died a few years before the first film.
>>
>>13915316
Yeah, but she had lines, so I doubt it was a problem of VAs.
>>
>>13915330
Half and half.
Again, she couldn't be reached at all for Zeta, hence why her role in that has no lines.
That they were able to get her on for even a single episode of ZZ doesn't say too much here. Just means they were finally able to get in touch with her about coming back to reprise her part then.

As far as CCA...where could they really justify putting her? The movie's already kind of juggling enough characters as it is. Putting her in would just bog things down at that point. Especially with her living a civilian lifestyle since the OYW ended.
>>
>>13915351
I just feel there's a lack of closure, especially concerning her relation to her brother.
>>
>>13912007
It's not the quality of the animation that counts but what they do with the animation. 0079 by far has the best fight choreography in all of Gundam. Stop being a little bitch.
>>
File: 1446739005067.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446739005067.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>13915505
>>
>>13915517
Wow, it's a perfect loop.
>>
>>13912007
If you're not man enough to watch awesome 70's cartoons then don't watch them. You're not gonna get 'board cred' for doing so, m8.
>>
>>13915517
can't get over how well animated that zeon pilot is
>>
>>13915517
Thanks man, i lost all the old webms i made to hard drive failure. All my Nene Romanova and 0083 stuff too.
>>
>>13915091
This. I thought I would have a problem with the animation when I first watched it, but it ended up having some of my favorite fights and kept me hype to see Amuro massacre a ton more grunts.
>>
>>13915257
Too bad because Sayla is one of my favourite characters in all Gundam.
>>
>>13914859
No that was a specification for me, i found Z on streaming but it s called mobile suit gundam 2 and i wasn t sure it would be tge right sequel, so i wrote it down to see if someone would correct me. But since no one did, that must mean that gundam 2 is indeed gundam Z
>>
>>13916172
Horrrrrry shitsu you are right! I remember that in the 17th episodi there was this flash close quarter fight between amuro and ramba ral on his gouf that was dope as fuckin hell. That was an orgasm for my eyes, it was the very first battle from 0079 that i enjoyed. From there on it only got better and better
>>
File: 1389919778645.jpg (133 KB, 403x451) Image search: [Google]
1389919778645.jpg
133 KB, 403x451
>>13912561
>The third movie only had one or two new fight scenes
Admittedly a decent bit of the new footage is inserting Char's Gelgoog in Gyan scenes but nah. For fuck's sake literally any drawing of a Core Booster is new.
>>
>>13916603

Can you start typing above the third grade level?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam#Franchise

Check this out it will tell you what things are actually named.
>>
>>13912007
It's a low budget toy commercial. You're lucky that you haven't seen well animated shows from that period, since it would get in your way even more.

I wouldn't recommend the movies instead of the show because they cut all character development, so it's just plot and action with minimal interaction. It's good for rewatch purposes though, since it has better animation and some memorable insert songs (make sure to watch with the original audio, since the redone audio messed around with the OST)
>>
>>13917753
>make sure to watch with the original audio
Fuck that, the remixed audio is so much more gritty, which ultimately is what Tominno's vision of "real robot" anime was supposed to be about.
>>
>>13917872
I love you
>>
>>13917753
So am I the only one who doesn't watch anime just for the animation?

I always imagine /m switches of the audio and just shitposts.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.