[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the Internet not exist in UC? Also even if pic related was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 15
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
Does the Internet not exist in UC? Also even if pic related was leaked and if it was never was kept secret wouldn't the Earth Federation just simply disregard it like how the American federal government disregard the constitution?
>>
>>13894392
>Does the Internet not exist in UC?
Photoshop probably also exists in UC. Even if the photo was leaked, if it wasn't from a reputable source it would simply be disregarded as some conspiracy hoax.
>>
>>13894392
Government censorship also exists
Propaganda exists

Do you think that many normal people living in the 1960s Soviet Union had heard of Trotsky, after he was almost entirely erased from any photo or government records?
>>
>>13894392
Would the internet even work in space?
>tfw can't get on Spacebook due to Minovsky particle interference
>>
Unicorn is a retcon. Also, the Federation is a one world government that's been attacked by terrorists from other space. What do you think happens?
>>
>>13894437

Implying there's Internet in space 1980s
>>
>>13894467
>Unicorn is a retcon.
Yeah, how could they retcon
Ummm
They retconned all of
Uhhhhh

[What did they retcon again?]
>>
>>13894483
Nothing

It's just all in his head

Nips don't do retcon thing like those dirty Jews
>>
File: are you shitting me.jpg (55 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
are you shitting me.jpg
55 KB, 720x480
>>13894437
> UC
> Spacebook

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>13894392
It doesn't fucking matter, all that does is just tell the people that the government kept that last part a secret, whether the people wants to start a riot over the first group of people in their government not actually having basic integrity(They basically forged the signatures of the people that signed the original on the edited charter, if you think about it), that's up to the people. If you look at later UC, its pretty clear the reveal didn't fucking do anything in the long run.
>>
>>13894483
I don't remember spacenoids complaining about not being able to vote
You'd think they would have mentioned that in 0079 or zeta
>>
>>13894392
The internet never exists in any sci fi show/universe written before the internet actually existed in real life.
>>
>>13894426
>Do you think that many normal people living in the 1960s Soviet Union had heard of Trotsky, after he was almost entirely erased from any photo or government records?
Lots of them knew about Trotsky, don't think that USSR was kind of an evil sci-fi empire. Not many of them had access to his works though.
>>
>>13894392
Why the hell would the people from Earth even approve something like that? Obviously years later colonies could use that clause for their benefit, but I don't think something like that appearing in the final form of the Federation's constitution would have been accepted in the first place.

It never had any legitimacy. And, if anyone made a mistake, it was allowing something like that to make it to a final draft in the first place.
>>
>>13894545
>I don't remember spacenoids complaining about not being able to vote
Watch it those again, buddy. They directly address the political inequalities in both 0079 and Zeta

>>13894552
>Lots of them knew about Trotsky
I'm talking about the average schmuck. A few people might have heard of him, but the amount of effort that went in to deny his existence in Russian politics was spectacular. Look it up
>>
>>13894559
>I don't think something like that appearing in the final form of the Federation's constitution would have been accepted in the first place.
But it did.

And that's why they bombed the ceremony, to replace it with the edited constitution, probably to kill the people who agreed and signed it as well
>>
>>13894418
>reputable source
>Zeon leader's claim
>>
>>13894563
His existence wasn't denied. The photos were edited, yes.
>an average schmuck
Average schmuck had other things to do: fulfilling the plan, buy stuff, save some money for a car.
A modern average schmuck also has no idea about Trotsky.
>>
>>13894559
>Why the hell would the people from Earth even approve something like that?
>And, if anyone made a mistake, it was allowing something like that to make it to a final draft in the first place.
This is UC Gundam. You have to remember that ANYTHING that involves Newtypes has to be vague, of nebulous value or practicality, and yet extremely important and widely-accepted at face value.

Seriously.

If we're going for an in-setting conjecture, they probably DID believe that people could possibly become a magically space-adapted species via coincidental mutation by just having people in space (long before Zeon Deikun was even born).

UC Gundam has little to no faceless politicians/leaders that ever make sense. And if you include the ones we do see, particularly from the Zeon side, they still don't make any sense.

Nobody in UC that has the power to lead generally has enough logic or forethought. Involve any mention and Newtypes and suddenly they'll give blowjobs and bend over backwards.
>>
The UC is based on a vision of the future circa 1979. It's why colonies still use payphones and landlines, for one example.
>>
>>13894392

Its worthless, yes. It is exactly as important as George Washington's wooden teeth. It is a historical curiosity that is really interesting to history buffs and might get a mention in history books, but has absolutely no weight or legitimacy as a governmental document of any kind.

Thinking that this is something worth killing and dying for, as part of a 100 year long conspiracy, as absurdly retarded even by Gundam standards.
>>
>>13894392
Hasegawa's Crossbone sequels feature an internet. Twink (that was her name, right?) uses Google (or a Google-parody) in Skull Heart or Steel Seven, and I think the whole plot of Ghost is set off when Font Baud hacks into Zanscare's Angel Halo plans via the internet.

In real life, there are already discussions on how to set up an interplanetary internet. I don't know about the difficulties of establishing connections in the Earth-Moon system and its Lagrange points. Even if Minovsky interference is present, the colonies should be stationary enough for line-of-sight IR signals, or whatever it is they use to communicate during Minovsky interference, to transmit data, right?

Maybe it's possible for the internet to just fall out of style. A shift in the zeitgeist where people want their information "neatly packaged" in TV programs or printed periodicals. Or maybe the Earth Federation is able to discourage it, with their control over infrastructure and unquestioned influence in individuals' lives. Or maybe Amuro was using the White Base's internet connection all the time, and we just never witnessed it.

It's not like we're never going to see a UC internet because First Gundam was released in 1979. Back then, they probably didn't imagine there'd be pieces of paper that can display gifs even after getting crumpled up, but they introduced those in ANT and Unicorn.
>>
Literally the first reaction both Mineva and Banagher have to Laplace's Box was "Are you fucking serious? THIS is what the all the hubbub was about?"

Nobody acts like it's some massive game changer that totally discredits the Federation. Banagher is furious so many people died for a single worthless clause, and all Mineva ends up using it for in her speech was "the Federation was entirely right to keep this hidden away because after the One Year War, they were justifiably terrified of giving Zeon any sense of legitimacy whatsoever".

Laplace's Box isn't dangerous because it makes the current Federation non-existent or whatever. That'd be like finding an early draft of the Constitution and claiming the one that's actually been in use is wrong. Its real power is that it could inspire Yet Another Fucking Zeon Rebellion, which nobody wants.

Though if you go by Last Sun on Earth, the direct response to Mineva's speech was Yet Another Fucking Zeon Rebelllion so yeah. Great going there, Mineva.
>>
>>13894559
I guess politicians in the UCverse all still had a lot of experience from the TIPP-proceedings and FEMA genocides, so they managed to keep a wrap on what was going on well until after the majority of humanity had been displaced into space colonies.
>>
>>13895067
>Its real power is that it could inspire Yet Another Fucking Zeon Rebellion, which nobody wants.
The irony is that there will always be new Zeon rebellions. The UC is stuck in a time loop of eternal Space Nazi wars that never ends. All because real life audiences like Zeon so much.
>>
>>13895119

They call it the One Year War because it happens once a year.
>>
>>13895067
>Though if you go by Last Sun on Earth, the direct response to Mineva's speech was Yet Another Fucking Zeon Rebelllion so yeah. Great going there, Mineva.

For as many flaws as his plans had, FF had one thing right.
For some of these Zeon, so long as they're alive, it doesn't matter what happens, they're gonna keep fighting. Hence the bonus to the Torrington raid - snuff out as many hawkish Zeonic holdouts as could be suckered into showing up.
>>
>>13894570
>But it did.
>And that's why they bombed the ceremony, to replace it with the edited constitution, probably to kill the people who agreed and signed it as well

Something like that only could be possible if the constitution was being made under wraps and without the knowledge of the people, making it a pretty dodgy document in the first place for the constitution of a one world government.

So, either way, that original document, that was never shown and accepted by the Federation's people, has no legitimacy. The constitution that was seen by the Federation's people and actually led its formation is the only valid one. Doesn't matter if there was a blood history behind it.
>>
>>13894471
Laserion was made at 1984 (Zeta's one year before) and about international game matches via internet.
>>
File: 108460_700b_v1-54b5cf3425fb5.jpg (42 KB, 500x392) Image search: [Google]
108460_700b_v1-54b5cf3425fb5.jpg
42 KB, 500x392
>>13894578
Gotta get that Lada
>>
One of the things you forget in UC is that most people are overwhelmed with apathy. The EF government and the people just don't seem to care. So long as they are not being gassed, nuked, or having something massive dropped on their city.

Char broadcasted that he is Zeon Zum Deikun's son and talks about his father's ideals , in Zeta. Yet basically nothing came of it.
>>
>>13894483
>>13894492
>yfw they didn't even need to retcon ZZ

Marida's character can exist wholly outside of the frame of ZZ.
For example, if you hadn't seen ZZ, the reveal of the Quebley, would impact her character and the story in exactly the same way.
>>
>>13895351
>Nothing came of it
Except his own Neo-Zeon army forming around him after Zeta. Sweetwater Zeon was full of Deikunists and he wrangled it together after his disillusionment late in Zeta.
>>
>>13895371
just look at post Zeon enemies. The EFSF stops fighting all the new space invaders and leaves it to independent groups like League Militarie and SNRI.
>>
Unicorn Novels, Vol. 1.

>However, she was more worried about the housewives who were walking by and glancing at her. She had firm belief that she wasn’t caught on camera by the port’s surveillance camera, so nobody would suspect that she was the one involved in the incident this morning. Or maybe her clothing was rather strange for the people here? She checked on the internet for the latest fashion trend before she left for Palau and tried her best not to choose the most outstanding on. As she looked at herself through a glass window on a cupboard in a shop, the girl wondered whether it was because she buttoned up her collar. However, she didn’t want to opened her collar so randomly, so she started working again.

It does exist at least in the Unicorn Novels.
>>
>>13894392
>In the future, should the emergence of a new space-adapted human race be confirmed, the Earth Federation shall give priority to involving them in the administration of the government.
Is this Engrish or is this actually saying that once humans adapted to space exist everyone else is to prostrate themselves before newtypes? Did the writer not get what the word "priority" means?
>>
>>13895483
Newtype Affirmative Action

Newtypes were thought to be better at "understanding". Which would bring an end to conflict.
>>
>>13895327
Oh, if you could see all the concept cars which haven't met the production because of 1980-1990s economical mess.
>>
>>13895067
>Nobody acts like it's some massive game changer that totally discredits the Federation. Banagher is furious so many people died for a single worthless clause, and all Mineva ends up using it for in her speech was "the Federation was entirely right to keep this hidden away because after the One Year War, they were justifiably terrified of giving Zeon any sense of legitimacy whatsoever".

No, but it's supposed to explain why the Federation is totally toothless in F91 and Victory. And Anaheim is no longer the only MS manufacturer.

>>13895483

It basically means that government should acknowledge Newtypes officially as a part of humanity and let them be part of government. Which they didn't in UC, they just used them as guinea pigs and weapons.
>>
>>13895483
Involving them doesn't mean letting them take over.
>>
File: HA.jpg (8 KB, 180x170) Image search: [Google]
HA.jpg
8 KB, 180x170
>>13895128
>>
File: 1424313558694.jpg (30 KB, 460x662) Image search: [Google]
1424313558694.jpg
30 KB, 460x662
>>13894392
>internet is still freedom
this faggot never heard of NSA
fucking normie hipster
>>
>>13894392
>if pic related was leaked and if it was never was kept secret wouldn't the Earth Federation just simply disregard it like how the American federal government disregard the constitution?
Isn't that what happens?
>>
>>13894483
I dunno what you're trying to say, be retroactive continuity doesn't have to actually alter or change existing fictional details.
Just added details where there were previously none would be considered a retcon as well, if it were done after the fact.
>>
>>13895610
Except it doesn't say "involvement". It says "priority".
>>
>>13894392
Internet is confirmed to exist in late UC due to the crossbone ghost manga, but because it was fairly new at the time of the original animated shows it didn't appear.
so for all we know in the UC timeline internet didn't appear until late UC unless I missed something.
>>
I know it wasn't an exciting reveal for the viewer. The thing is, the fictional universe agrees with you.
This document would have only mattered had it been observed at the time of it's relevance. And it wasn't. That's why everyone ends up so shocked at what it actually ended up being. They expected it to be something that could still change the course of history, not something that's long expired.
>>
>>13895704
Maybe "priority" as in, "priority in making sure they aren't excluded," rather than "priority in their inclusion." Yeah, that's bending the phrase a little, but it's an acceptable interpretation, and as >>13895483 suggests, Engrish might be at play.
>>
>>13894563
They had the right to vote, they lacked the right to secede from federation control. Which tends to be the case with all governments
>>
>>13894392
What would be the point of the internet in UC? There's no need for imageboards when autists can directly beam their retardation into other people's heads
>>
>>13894426

There were still a lot of people living at the time that remember when Trotsky was still there.
>>
>>13894538
>If you look at later UC

F91 was an isolated incident out in the frontier that the federation ignored.

Crossbone was about a rogue faction and the federation had little to do with it

By the time of Victory the feds were a rotting husk of what they once were.
>>
File: 1448965024354.jpg (55 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1448965024354.jpg
55 KB, 600x450
>>13895986
Late UC is a vindication of the Titans.
>>
>>13895205
>Something like that only could be possible if the constitution was being made under wraps and without the knowledge of the people, making it a pretty dodgy document in the first place for the constitution of a one world government.

You're forgetting that the federation is not adverse to ruling with an iron fist
>>
>>13894392
The only time I remember the internet being specifically mentioned is either Crossbone Gundam Steel 7 or Ghost. I think it's Ghost, because the protag kid finds out about Angel Halo through the internet.
>>
>>13895986
>F91 was an isolated incident out in the frontier that the federation ignored.
I was watching the dub of that movie last night and the news report called the Crossbone Vanguard something like a rowdy drunk trying to pick a fight, and their decision is to leave them alone until the situation blows over.
>>
>>13896009
Why does he need those goggles?
>>
>>13896084

Torture during the OYW. I think his eyes are too sensitive to light without them.
>>
>>13894392
Evis Presly has only been dead for a few decades yet there are a lot of discrepancies for his favorite fried chicken recipe.

Just saying, you know.
>>
File: url.jpg (7 KB, 296x170) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
7 KB, 296x170
I wanted to warn some anons about a simple fact, that...

Internet cannot work in space. At least our modern internet. Radio communication there is far more realistic. Also you cannot build a good internet relay between earth, moon, asteroids and space colonies. It requires more resources to make such thing possible than fucking spaceships.

I know i need to include my research on that matter, but it will make my post too fucking long. Just google how actual spaceships communicate with earth.
>>
File: 1287505909358.jpg (130 KB, 996x1400) Image search: [Google]
1287505909358.jpg
130 KB, 996x1400
>>13894392
Yes, but the whole point of the charter is that it WASN'T revealed to the public yet, and any footage seen of the charter was of it when it was covered with that large ornate tarp.

>>13894559
>Obviously years later colonies could use that clause for their benefit,
I think that was kind of the point. The Space colonies were humanity's best hope for a brighter future, but Ricardo knew that a lot of people were being forced up into space alongside those that went of their own free will, and the clause was supposedly a way to ensure that the future of space colonies doesn't remain in the hands of the Earth elite.

My interpretation of it is that Ricardo and his party didn't want the power to stay centralized on Earth forever, and eventually wanted the Federation to become a space-faring entity to encourage expansion in the great beyond, which had a lot more to offer humanity. The part about space-adapted humans being given priority in government was probably because space adapted humans appearing would be a sign that those that live in space were on their way to becoming fully adapted to that habitat (as in, eventually everyone would be space adapted anyway,) and so future administrations would never have any intentions of moving back to Earth, which was on it's way to becoming fucked by overpopulation and pollution.

tl;dr Ricardo wanted to prevent the exact shit political scenario that happened in the UC setting with the Federation and the colonies, even if it meant kicking democracy in the nads to do so. It was a hail mary of an effort, and god knows if it would have had the intended results, but he probably knew what the politicians of that time were like and this was the only way to prevent them from stagnating humanity's future by keeping everything revolving around the earth.

>>13895491
The clause says nothing about "newtypes."
>>
File: Crossbone Vanguard.jpg (678 KB, 3036x2142) Image search: [Google]
Crossbone Vanguard.jpg
678 KB, 3036x2142
>>13896079
>I was watching the dub of that movie last night and the news report called the Crossbone Vanguard something like a rowdy drunk trying to pick a fight, and their decision is to leave them alone until the situation blows over.
Which is ironically EXACTLY what happened. The Crossbone Vanguard took care of itself entirely BY itself.
>>
You could have an internet for the moon, the earth and each colony (maybe even one for a whole side, I'm not sure), but year setting up an Earth Sphere Wide Web need a huge amount of wireless networking, and radio signal would have a very noticeable delay. Don't get get started on communication with Jupiter, being about 4 AU away from Earth, radio signal woud take several minutes toe get there.
>>
>>13898872
>cant shitpost live on Jovian imageboards
>>
>>13895067
>Though if you go by Last Sun on Earth

What is this? Where can I read a synopsis?
>>
>>13898900
>what is google
say aaaaaaah http://www.carddass.com/gundam-dc/uc0096/ja/story/
>>
>>13898661
Ah, you said it before I could. Yes, you are absolutely right. The issue with the modern internet is we are restricted to light-speeds, and that is too slow for interplanetary communication. That's why science fiction generally imply that alien races need to invent faster than light communications.
>>
>>13894392
How come nobody ever talks about what cities on Earth were nuked ? There seems to be battles in New "Yark" and in California base so how did they nuke half of the Earths population?

Does this include colonies that were nuked that were friendly to the earth sphere ?
>>
>>13899258
What "nukes"? Nobody used nuclear weapons on the OYW. I'd think it's far more important to worry about the ecological consequences of the four massive objects that fell down to Earth thanks to Zeon (British, Stardust, Haman's and Char's).
>>
>>13900378
Nukes were used. After Operation British the EFSF and Zeon shot nukes everywhere, at least until the Antarctic Treaty was signed.
>>
>>13900519
Mention of that is sketchy at best. And, it it happened before the Atlantic Treaty, then they were used only in space.
>>
>>13894392
Why would it? The setting was created in 1979 when nobody knew what an internet was. I'd be annoyed if the internet WAS introduced on one of the sequels.

>>13894437
>Would the internet even work in space?
I don't see why not. Fast internet within the Earth Sphere could be achieved with lasers.
>>
>>13901259
>I don't see why not. Fast internet within the Earth Sphere could be achieved with lasers.
That's still only light speed, which isn't much faster than what we already got. We are talking about a ping of 2 seconds just to get from earth to moon and back.
>>
>>13901259
The latency would be awful. You'd probably have a number of more local wide area networks that interface with each other less frequently.

Someone on Earth probably isn't going to access a server on the moon because it would be as slow as shit.
>>
>>13901309
If only you kids knew what dial-up was like.
>>
>>13894426
>Government censorship also exists
>Propaganda exists
This is why Unicorn is so stupid.

>I'm Char Aznable, the guy who wanted to commit mass genocide against an entire planet worth of people, believe me when I say I have the real UC charter

In fact, the government wouldn't even need to do anything. It's so completely fucking asinine no one would believe it.
>>
File: 1400648950180.jpg (76 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1400648950180.jpg
76 KB, 1280x720
Gundam 1979 was a product of its time, still there is nothing saying it doesn't exist.

We can try to retcon why the web isn't as wild as it is today.

The lack of wired connection between space colony and Minovsky jamming mean that probably no Side can be networked beyond very strict protocol.
On Earth they probably also feel the impact of Minovsky jamming even for optical fiber since it said to trouble visual wavelength.

And then, a war just killed HALF OF MANKIND Author have no sense of scale, meaning it certainly destroyed and killed everybody who maintained the civilian infrastructure, not the military one.

Wouldn't Internet be too important to not be brought up again ?
You'd get me on that one.
Thing is, there the best conspiracy are not the one hidden out of your sight. It has always been the one you are taking part in voluntarily because you fear the alternative.

Here the alternative would be the return of Zeon if the EFF went down, pretty scary.
>>
>>13894730
But most people chasing Laplace's Box had no clue what it was.
>>
>>13895713
Thanks to /m/'s habit of latching onto rumours floated by half-literate skimmers of the original novels, entire families of opinions develop on here with no connection whatsoever to what the truth actually is.
>>
>>13899258
Canon is sketchy about it, but most of the lives lost in the OYW appear to have been in Earth-affiliated space colonies during the One Week Battle, as a result of nuclear weapons used by both sides and poison gas attacks used by Zeon. It's not clear if EFSF nukes damaged or destroyed any colonies. Side 3 appears to have been untouched, although it's possible the draft took a large percentage of their population who were killed in battle.
>>
File: insta.gif (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
insta.gif
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>13896084
>Why does he need those goggles?

Spacenoids burn good.
>>
>>13898661
>>13899073

Communications via quantum entanglement will hopefully be a thing.

Ironically it couldn't work in UC gendum since there's no real way to interfere with it, Minovsky bullshit or not.
>>
>>13908070
quantum entanglement does not allow for FTL communications
>>
>>13894392
The issue with a lot of sci-fi shows is even with all of the mecha flying around and other shit, every-day life still has reflections of the time period it was written in.

You remember that scene in Unicorn when they were in the pool room and there was some weird virtual pool game there? Go watch 0079, Zeta and ZZ Gundam and see if you see anything remotely close to that there.

Shit, just the idea of a cellphone isn't in most of these old shows, and you would think that something like that would be the first thing you'd put in a fictional future show, but no one thinks of doing it.

Should cellphones be replaced by some new trinket or idea, that scene in Valvrave where all the student's cellphones are confiscated will look weird.
>>
File: 1264226959103.jpg (115 KB, 542x509) Image search: [Google]
1264226959103.jpg
115 KB, 542x509
>>13908093
You reminded me that C. Clarke predicted the equivalent of a smartphone in 2001 (~1968)

He also predicted Video Game ahead of time, even though the video game didn't look better than Megadrive game despite being run by a Turing-capable AI.
It's funny to see how we failed to predict the exponential growth of thing we already did, yet foresaw thing we never had a clue how to make.
>>
File: accshirt.jpg (335 KB, 1806x1182) Image search: [Google]
accshirt.jpg
335 KB, 1806x1182
>>13908870
>>
>>13895716

Except it's not. The english translations have gone through Mark Simmons too just to make sure it jives
>>
>>13904560

That doesn't explain why it was ever allowed to become important in the first place.

In the context of Unicorn, its a mystery box that has been used to blackmail the Federation for about 100 years, and its contents could be used to spark a new Zeon rebellion. Fine.

But in the 78 years BEFORE the One Year War, its totally fucking worthless and the idea that you could use it to Blackmail more than one or two specific people (if that) is laughable. There is no risk of it resulting in a Zeon uprising if revealed, because Zeon doesn't fucking exist yet. It has no direct evidence that would incriminate any specific individual beyond circumstantial benefit. If it had resurfaced within the couple of weeks immediately after the explosion, it would have been a media circus. But wait until even 5 years later, and no one gives a shit anymore. Its time has past, its an unused draft of a legal document. Worth nothing more than the cost of the materials it is made out of except to a collector or a museum.

Its a shitty, contrived plot device that has no way it could ever reasonably end up in the position of importance that Unicorn needs it to be in to justify the plot, because the world doesn't start in the year 0079.
>>
>>13909157
I think it's more to show that the Federation elite are THAT paranoid about losing power ever.

It makes more sense if you compare them to the LDP.
>>
>>13909157
>That doesn't explain why it was ever allowed to become important in the first place.In the context of Unicorn, its a mystery box that has been used to blackmail the Federation for about 100 years, and its contents could be used to spark a new Zeon rebellion. Fine.But in the 78 years BEFORE the One Year War, its totally fucking worthless and the idea that you could use it to Blackmail more than one or two specific people (if that) is laughable. There is no risk of it resulting in a Zeon uprising if revealed, because Zeon doesn't fucking exist yet. [cut]

It fucking obvious. The original UC charter contains an article about spacenoids being equals in the new system. There is no discrimination whatsoever. It basically makes it a political impossibility for the colonies to revolt against the earth government. After all the the article grants spacenoids the same rights as the people of earth. This means the article was a political comprise between all parties. After the attack, one guy gets his hands on the laplace box. The earth federation thinks the original declaration is destroyed and makes a new one to its advantage. One where the article about spacenoid equality isn't there. The earth federation wants to keep the spacenoids under control. Right here is the reason for the blackmail. The Earth Federation doesn't give a shit about Zeon (that at this time doesn't even exist). They simply don't want spacenoids to have equal representation in the new political system. And ironically it's this thinking that 60 years into the future will lead to a political revolt for independence. But hey who ever said politicians look far ahead ? It's not true in real life, why should it be true in anime ?
>>
>>13909157
This is an important argument to keep in mind, but I think you have to push the "date when the EF actually has a reason to keep it secret" back to the Republic of Zeon's founding, or even whenever Deikun began preaching, rather than the start of the OYW.

Well, and even before that, there were probably first-generation Spacenoids who were disgruntled, and might've been open to the idea of revolt. Well, I guess it's pointless to bring that up if there was no strong evidence or belief in Newtypes before Deikun. (The Origin mentioned something about Spacenoid generations. I think Deikun and his first wife were mentioned as second-generation, making Ramba and Hamon third-generation?)
>>
>>13909250

The problem is, that only makes a vague kind of sense to anyone who doesn't know how politics work. Its a handwave level of explanation, like saying that Minovsky particles are why mobile suits exist.

There is nothing that the vist foundation has, NOTHING, that says anything more than 'the Federation is giving spacenoids a raw deal'. Something that, as spacenoids living under the Thumb of the Federation, they already should have known.

The legal value of the charter is absolute zero. It being revealed and the difference in clauses carries EXACTLY as much important and weight on history as there being an interview with a high ranking EF official where they get caught on camera saying "I don't like spacenoids, which I why I chose not to give them equality during the last time the vote came up".

Its a shitty thing to say. It will be in all the papers. It will be on the 24 hour news cycle... for, like, two weeks tops. Probably less than a week.

Its that meaningless. It sounds like it should be important when you phrase with epic language against an orchestra soundtrack, but if you put any thought into it at all it falls apart like wet paper.
>>
>>13909321
Most people don't know about politics (even moreso in Japan). The average person would see it as, "the only reason we're not free is because the federation wouldn't let us".

And if you think that's dumb, we fought and won a war over taxes cutting into the profits of our 1% and turning it into idealogy.
>>
>>13901321
>literally waiting hours for pornographic JPEGs to load
Now THAT'S colonial oppresion
>>
>>13909352
> "the only reason we're not free is because the federation wouldn't let us"

If, after 100 years and multiple attempted rebellions, spacenoids really needed an ancient document to tell them that? They are not smart enough for self rule anyway.
>>
>>13909352
>of our 1%
Little more than that. Basically our middle class, plus we hated having British soldier everywhere.
>>
>>13909376
> the ability to load pictures of whoever you want with a quick google search, or just search by terms
> in MULTIPLE TABS

What a time to be alive.

If I could only show the kings of the ancient world google image search, they would weep in jealousy.
>>
>>13909352

To be fair, when the war started we never intended to leave Britain. We just wanted them to lay off the taxes and give us a fairer deal. It was basically just a saber rattling protest on a large scale. A show of soliderity.

Then shit got hot. Like, way too hot. And it became clear that we had passed a point of no return and going back under the rule of the king was no longer a realistic option without a lot of bloody executions afterwards to put us back in our place harder than ever.

We only started fighting for 'independence' halfway through the war.
>>
>>13909409
>>13909393
I thought it was originally over lack of voice in government. The colonies had grown to have a large population and were generating enormous profit for Britain, but had pretty much no representation or voice in government, with increasing taxes being the breaking point.
>>
>>13909397
Google Fiber exists.
GPS exists.
Supersonic flight exists.
We've been to the moon and sent things out of the solar system.
We've unlocked the atom, confirmed relativity to the best of our ability, and decoded the genome.
We have more knowledge of history than any civilization ever.
We have access to all of this information for free at basically any time we want.
>>
>>13909425
Yes, we're oversimplifying. There's a lot that went into it.
>>
>>13909428

Pretty sweet, right? And people moan about how the world is getting worse, not realizing that the world is getting better all the time. Its just that, without our greatly expanded awareness, we hear about bad shit that happens on the other side of the globe instead of being blissfully ignorant that anything was even happening.
>>
File: 1315769509957.jpg (173 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1315769509957.jpg
173 KB, 1920x1080
>>13909321 >>13909157
> But in the 78 years BEFORE the One Year War, its totally fucking worthless and the idea that you could use it to Blackmail more than one or two specific people (if that) is laughable.
> 'the Federation is giving spacenoids a raw deal'

Another anon here, I see your logic but the simple fact that the main government striked a phrase out of the most important treaty ever. Is enough of a blackmail, along with the fact the Federation staged the attack itself. More than enough to get rich and prosper.

It is said that Syam Vist didn't knew how powerful the box would become? Later, not only Zeon proclaimed its independence, but it precisely advocated for a Space-faring humanity which -magic put aside- could already claim to be a new type of human (not being bound by gravit...I mean a Planet-bound government is an huge step)

God damned magical NEWTYPE was the icing on the highly explosive and unstable cake. No wonder they built a frigging Gundam with the sole purpose of detecting them(through one) and killing them.
>>
Unicorn shares a lot in common with Dan Brown novels. Specifically, The Lost Symbol, where the secret tome of knowledge the villain seeks turns out to be a standard copy of the Bible. Or it's like that episode of Tiny Toons, "Pasadena Jones," where the sought-after treasure turns out to be friendship.

Really, that sort of ending was what I was expecting the whole time.
>>
>>13909393

This. Most colonist were NOT the 1% who were still enjoying their tea in Britian. The slogan was "No taxation without representation".
>>
>>13909446

But It was actually Ricardo and the comittee adding a clause in last minute before revealing the charter, without further appoval by the Federation assembly
>>
>>13909425
The taxes weren't exactly crippling the average person or anything. The reality was that things like tea were now being sold so cheaply that it strangled the local market, much of which was successful due to smuggling and fencing. The law was designed to put a stop to that.
>>
>>13909425
The colonies made up 20% of the entire British Empire population, no seats in Parliament. Scotland, fraction of colony population, I think almost 3 dozen seats.

The only person innocent in this that was blamed was the king, he had no power. The problem was the PM at the time was the most corrupt one in British history.
>>
>>13908080
Yet.
>>
>>13901349
A. Frontal's whole idea was to NOT reveal the charter and hold the Federation hostage with it so that the Republic of Zeon wouldn't be forced back into the Federation.

B. You're underestimating how popular Char and Deikun's teachings are with the colonies, even ones that try to stay out of the UC conflicts; a good majority of them still aren't happy with Federation rule and the especially downtrodden ones were even willing to directly assist with his rebellion. There were random terrorist groups stopping the Federation garrisons from assisting with preventing 5th Luna's descent with fucking suicide attacks, for god sake.

If a "Char" came along and presented proof that the Federation was founded on a lie with hard evidence, even if there was skepticism surrounding it, you can be damn sure there would be a pretty enormous clusterfuck of colonial unrest and political chaos on an unprecedented level, enough that the Federation administration wouldn't be able to handle the economic backlash or even possibly war. That's why Riddhe was so adamant about keeping it under wraps; he genuinely does believe that even though the Federation is riddled with bad apples and political baggage, it does more good than harm in the current state of things, and the alternative is a collection of space Nation States that may very well start having wars again like back during the time of Anno Domini.
>>
>>13909851

Quantum entanglement isn't FTL.

If you want FTL communications you need to have tiny probes with alcubierre drives warping space around them.

>Internet cannot work in space.

Why don't they communicate with huge pin-point lasers? Didn't the ISS recently have one put on?
>>
>>13909446
But the goverment didn't sign that treaty.
That's just a rough draft at worst.
>>
>>13912092

A draft ? For pete's sake, the original UC declaration was to be unveiled and broadcast worldwide by the prime minister just before the attack. It doesn't get more official than that.
>>
>>13912130
But it wasn't signed.
They signed something else.
>>
>>13912132

Yeah, almost like it was a conspiracy or something
>>
>>13909389

>>They are not smart enough for self rule anyway.

If you didn't give them the chance to. I mean, that's why we have probable nuts like Zeon Zum Deikun and straight-up nuts like the Zabis in the first place.
>>
>>13912238
You know, minus that whole 20 years between them declaring independence and then losing it via genocidal idiocy.
>>
>>13911982
>Quantum entanglement isn't FTL.
Yes it fucking is.

>This has been shown to occur even when the measurements are performed more quickly than light could travel between the sites of measurement: there is no lightspeed or slower influence that can pass between the entangled particles.
>>
>>13912312
There's akso the fact that nearly every independent Spacenoid state ends up being some kind of batshit insane genocidal dictatorship.

It's enough to make one think that the Titans were right.
>>
>>13912327
Between that and the now-yearly Zeon uprisings thanks to all the additions and retcons Bandai/Sunrise put out, yes.

The Teetons looks more and more right with every new early-UC addition.
>>
>>13912332

>>The Teetons looks more and more right with every new early-UC addition.

The idea, sure, but it got hijacked by power-hungry nuts like Jamitov and vengeful nuts like Bask.
>>
So what did this really change anyway?
War's not exactly over. Victory still happens. F91 still happens. Greco still happens.
>>
>>13912480

Changes come, but they're not instant. The Earth Federation's downfall does happen, as you said with F91 and Victory happening. Personally, I'd take it that the politician giving that press conference while on vacation saying the Federation will just let the colonies sort out the stuff with the Ronahs by themselves as a consequence of Laplace's Box being made public, in that, the colonies are independent, with the Earth Federation allowed to keep their bases in the colonies, per the troops stationed in Frontier IV when Crossbone Vanguard took over the place.
>>
>>13912326
The problem with quantum entanglement is that you can't encode information into it, because by definition it only works with particles in a superposition. Say a particle has two states, A and B. Because of the nature of physics at the quantum scale, you can't be certain of which state it's in until you measure it - or rather, it's partly in both states until your measurement forces it to be in one or the other. If two particles have a their states entangled, it means that if you know one is in state A then the other must be in state B - but before being measured, neither is in either state for certain. So what you can do is take two entangled particles with uncertain states, take them apart, and measure their states and one will always be A and the other always B. However, which one is which is not determined until you take the measurement and you can time the measurement of both to be absolutely simultaneous and you'll never get two As or two Bs, meaning the two particles have somehow 'conferred' with each other what state to be in at FTL speeds.

However, information cannot be transmitted this way because the act of measuring one particle won't affect the other until it's also measured, so one observer can't know if they were the first or second to measure the particle - all they can know is that if the measure A, the other end must have B and vice versa. Thus, if you have twenty particles and take ten to a lightyears-distant star and measure them you'll get a string of gibberish - but at least you'll be safe in the knowledge that someone on Earth has the corresponding string of gibberish.
>>
>>13912327
There's the Riah Republic.
>>
>>13895676
technically, that would be an expansion, not a retcon.

Retcons are notable for rewriting established facts.
>>
>>13913308
You mean like when the Feds apparently raped and pillaged that Zeon town at the end of the OYW, despite the fact that uhhhhh, the Feds never occupied Side 3?
>>
>>13914116
On earth you idjit.
>>
>>13914156
Oh yes, the Earth that Zeon had gotten kicked off of.
>>
>>13896084
Because the future is so bright
>>
>>13912092
>>13909321
Hold on, the replacement constitution wasn't what was passed by whatever Fed approval council like the original one, wouldn't this make the new one illegal & considered voided?
>>
>>13917183

The reason the original constitution not being made public due to the Laplace bombing working is what I think are the following:

1. Everyone who did reviewed the constitution and approving of it before the inauguration of the Universal Century calendar died with Ricardo Marcenas. The plan was to announce the constitution during the inauguration, article promising priority to Spacenoids included.

2. The constitution sans the extra article was made by the people who paid Syam Vist and his accomplices, who are basically the faction who opposed Marcenas, led by his son George.
>>
>>13917183

No, because the spacenoid article wasn't a result of legislate approval, but rather executive decision. This is why it was so easy to cover up, very few people knew about it prior to the big reveal and most of the people who did died when everything exploded. Indeed, the fact that he was going against the majority opinion like that was a large part of why they blew him up in the first place.

That makes it an executive decision that was never announced, enacted, OR enforced.

It has about as much weight as an idea for a law that the president wrote on the back of a bar napkin.

If it had been the result of legislative approval, it would have been impossible for it to have been covered up as cleanly as they did. Too many records, too many people would know about it, it would have trickled down to the press during deliberation long before the actual reveal, etc.
>>
>>13917521

So basically the conspirators removed a clause that was added in at the last minute that circumvented the democratic process and gives special privileges to a group of people as vaguely defined as 'space adapted people'?

Why are the actions of the Feddie Conspiracy viewed as evil again? Besides the whole assassination thing, that is.
>>
>>13917548

Because it oppressed spacenoids, which means Zeon was right all along. Zeon has always been a visual stand-in for imperialist Japan. Japan isn't allowed to be nationalistic anymore, but as long as its Zeon its fine because Zeon isn't real.

The problem is that when Gundam first came out, Japan knew that imperialism was bad for them and they were supposed to feel guilty about it. But as time goes on they feel more and more fondly for their bygone age. Increasing Zeonwank is a symptom of a worrying amount of nationalist frustration leaking into their escapism.

Of course the Feddies blew up a bunch of innocent people instead of just calling the president on his shit and killing it in thee senate. That wouldn't have been obviously evil enough.
>>
>>13917521
Source on the last minute clause addition? I don't see how Marcenas would thought it'll work without people noticing & reprimanding him as well as removing the clause.
>>
>>13912238
>>13912452
>Colonies want spacenoid independence
>Spacenoid independence movement gets hijacked by power-hungry nutcases

>Earth wants an independent military division to deal with the crazy spacenoids dropping shit on us
>Independent military division gets hijacked by power-hungry nutcases

I'm noticing a trend here. At least Londo Bell didn't go power crazy, AFAIK.
>>
>>13917521
My understanding is that the lost Constitution is suppose to be the new Charter for Earth Federation Government that succeed the UN. It is a covenant between the EF Government and the people that it governs (which includes Spacenoids).

Is it legal? That's like asking is the UN rulings legal. Within UN, of course it is legal. But can members of UN act against the ruling of UN? Yes, but they are expected to face sanction and criticism from other UN members.

TL ; DR. If EF doesn't follow its own Charter / Constitution, it's up to the People to correct it. But if the Charter itself is rigged, it becomes harder for the People to correct when they couldn't quite point their fingers on where the problem is.
>>
>>13918428
>the lost Constitution is suppose to be the new Charter for Earth Federation Government
I think its title was "Charter of the Universal Century." Couldn't there be a separate Constitution of the Earth Federation, and even a separate Charter of the Earth Federation? The Charter of the Universal Century just details some policies with a common theme of space colonization and calendar systems.

>that succeed the UN.
The EF came into being some time (years or decades) before UC 0001. At least if they haven't retconned some of the earlier supplementary info.
>>
>>13919073
>>13918428

Honestly, its important to remember that the Universal Century Charter didn't exist in the setting until Unicorn needed a macguffin. So its not surprising that what, precisely, it actually fucking is or what it was ever meant to do besides 'be important' is sort of up in the air.

Like, its kind of weird that they specifically made it the Universal Century anything. It makes it feel like the changeover to UC as a notation of year was nothing more than a media event.

Does the Universal Century Charter expire at midnight on January 1, UC0101? If not, why is it specifically a Century?

And so on and so forth. Its pretty poorly defined.

Of course, its not directly relevant to mobile suits, so why should I expect them to talk about it?
>>
>>13921303

The japanese name for the calendar is Uchuu Seiki which means space era. Sunrise in its model kits used UC and later translated/retconned this as universal century. But the name is a misnomer because Space Era has nothing to do with lasting one century. In fact there is no notion of length/duration in it. This is one instance in which translated term (even if done by the japanese) is at odds with the meaning of the original japanese term.
>>
>>13898872
>several minutes
Just googled that, turns out it's 43 minutes. And that's in a straight line.
>>
>>13895945

They don't. It's always mentioned even in the various supplementary materials from the '80s translated by Mark Simmons.
>>
>>13919073
It's the Charter of Universal Century, with the EF as the embodiment for carrying it out. Hence it's also the Charter for EF.

Actually according to the novel, EF succeeded the UN. The people who signed the original Charter were UN nation leaders. The OAV didn't explain that part, so we shall see if the TV anime would elaborate on that.
>>
>>13921303
Well, time moves forward. So yes, UC history would get modified all the time, with or without Tomino's blessing. In the end we all know Sunrise and Bandai have final say (with the exception to Sentinel perhaps).

I'm not aware of an expiry for the UC charter. You have source on that?

The reason they made UC (note: Universal, not Universe, because it's meant to be for whole human kind) is to symbolize a new stage of humanity: we finally moved into space.

The motivation of space colonization is to preserve Earth and solve overpopulation, which is the problem UC attempted to solve.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.