[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there ANY reason to watch the Turn-A movies if I've already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 138163637279533735225.jpg (305 KB, 1063x1513) Image search: [Google]
138163637279533735225.jpg
305 KB, 1063x1513
Is there ANY reason to watch the Turn-A movies if I've already seen the show? Are they even well made?
>>
File: 1448046542803.gif (2 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1448046542803.gif
2 MB, 500x333
some fights like pic related are reanimated and made cooler
>>
>>13894213
For the longest time I remember they were the primary example of how NOT to make compilation movies, especially around places like the MechaTalk forums. Public opinion has changed in recent years though, and with the recent BD and RightStuf releases, they've been reevaluated as "okay", with the first movie obviously being the worst of the pair.
>>
>>13894228
Making the Turn-A "cool" seems to kind of miss the point.
>>
>>13894213
Personally I don't see any point watching the same story that I enjoyed over a span of 50 episodes condensed in two movies.
>>
>>13894259

The Turn-A comes across cool multiple times in the show, even putting aside that one particular scene. Most of the fight scenes make it look cool just by default and it generally looks cool in motion, especially when it's viewed horizontally instead of vertically. It's in no way defeating the point, because was never "the Turn-A isn't cool".
>>
>>13894259
>>13894297
I kind of wish Tomino went harder with the Ideon vibes the Turn A gave after all the big reveals. It would've been cool as fuck if the quirky cute gendum from the first part of the series got treated later on as this really terrifying machine that everyone was afraid of.
>>
>>13894304

That would kind of contradict what the show did though, which is to say that it doesn't matter if the unit was used in such a horrific way in the past because at the end of the day it's just a tool and that Loran can and does use it do good things, both in the first half of the show as a washing machine or train tracks and in the end of the show to beat the Turn-X, end the brewing war and help resolve the conflict between Moonrace and Earthrace.

Having it be a terrifying godmachine would mean that he couldn't do that without in some way conquering it, which wouldn't make it a terrifying god machine if it could be conquered. Never mind that it isn't alive in any manner like the Ideon. The only time the show does anything like that is when Midgard realizes that it is the Turn-A and runs for his life before Harry smears him, and even that stands out since he treats the Turn-A like some kind of monster instead of the machine he knows it is during that one scene.
>>
>>13894213
They're very rushed and if you want to rewatch the show just to refresh yourself on some of the details but don't feel like putting in the 50 episode time investment again, then you could watch them. Basically, it's like rewatching parts of the first 20 episodes and last 10 episodes, with a lot of details skipped. This includes the entire arc of going into space and visiting that ancient Mayan/Aztec temple (the 1st movie ends right after the nuclear bombs explode IIRC, and the second one starts during the battle between Ghingham's forces and the protags in that asteroid Dianna hides in) and most of Dianna's backstory and character development is skipped.
There's a change in the dialogue in the second movie too, where UC takes place 5,000 years before Turn A, not 10,000 as it was in the series
>>
>>13894728
Indeed, though I wouldn't count on the movie subs at all though.

EG didn't entirely clean up or corrected the subs and it's mostly crabstick subs.
>>
>>13894737
I was using OZC's subs that are from the official release.
And it's not a change in the subtitles, it's a change in the actual recording.
>>
>>13894244
Thats because the releases of it in The past alll had shitty subs
>>
>>13894297
>when it's viewed horizontally instead of vertically

huh?
>>
>>13895034
Maybe that anon means "when it's not standing up straight." Like, when it's "Tobe!"-ing.
>>
>>13895034
>>13895053

Yea, I worded that really badly for some reason I can't recall and meant when it's viewed moving with it's limbs stretched forward, because all it's panels are obviously designed to be viewed in that kind of pose rather than the standard heroic pose and look a lot better when seen from that kind of angle.
>>
>>13895488
You can really see how Mead designed Turn A with a Thai kickboxer in mind.
>>
>>13894213
Like all compilation movies, they're not meant to replace a first time viewing of the series, they're meant for fans of the TV series.
Watch them if you're in the mood to rewatch Turn A, but don't have time for all 50 episodes.
>>
OP, as one of the biggest turn A fans to exist, just being real here, they suck. The only reason to watch them are for the few newly animated scenes. And it's not like there are a lot of them. There are only 1-3 new scenes and they aren't really worth it (check sakugabooru). The movies also remove the substance I consider some of the best aspects of the TV anime. The soundtrack's nice though; there are a few new tracks and the second movie's ending medley is really good and one of the best tracks in all of Turn A.

I own the rightstuf release, it's more or less just for completions sake.
>>
>>13896152
>There are only 1-3 new scenes and they aren't really worth it

What happens in these scenes?

(I actually watched the original series, but don't feel like watching the movies)
>>
File: .webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>13894228
Nice gif, Gayboy.
>>
>>13896665

The gif made the motion look cooler, desu.
>>
>>13896677
That's only because you are a fucking retarded faggot who drank bleach instead of breast milk
>>
>>13895553
>Like all compilation movies, they're not meant to replace a first time viewing of the series, they're meant for fans of the TV series.
Except the 0079 movies...
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.