[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the worst SEED clone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Kakumeiki_Valvrave_characters.png (388 KB, 925x720) Image search: [Google]
Kakumeiki_Valvrave_characters.png
388 KB, 925x720
Was this the worst SEED clone?
>>
Haruto got into the robot out of rage and L-elf didn't have any qualms about going against his friend.

If anything, it's more of a Code Geass clone.
>>
File: 1434132077660.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1434132077660.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
>>13892243
All of them.

The MC doesn't have to be a messiah.
>>
That shows looks fun. I mean, just like at those colorful and unique character designs.
>>
>>13892243
But it has nothing in common with Seed's plot.
At all.
>>
File: 1424440584195.gif (2 MB, 621x332) Image search: [Google]
1424440584195.gif
2 MB, 621x332
>>13892270
It is indeed a fun, lighthearted romp about cute characters doing cute things.
>>
>>13892345
More proof that it wasn't rape. She totally helps him rip off her jacket.
>>
>>13892311
You could be forgiven for expecting it, just from the promo art.
>>
>>13892397
>having a vaguely similar art style means same plot
Love this emem.
>>
>>13892397
That looks like quite a fancy hand-drawn, well-shaded machine.

The series must be downright Gundam-esque, with none of that terrible CG.
>>
Anyone wanna help me make a list of spoopy bullshit to run through on October?

I'm going to make this a thing even if it leaves me a rune-exhausted braindead husk. Let's make spoopy bullshit a yearly tradition.
>>
>>13892497
Valvrave, Betterman, Harlock (pirates are halloween), & M3
>>
>>13892311
Before Valvrave aired, pretty much everybody was expecting to be a SEED based on it's first promo art and PV.

Now of course it's absolutely nothing like SEED but it was around for a while
>>
>>13892263
It had some Code Geass elements but I found a lot of SEED ones too, from the team of villains to the music choices.
>>
>>13892311
Neither of those shows had a plot
>>
>>13892497
Is Shiki /m/? They run over a vampire's head with a steamroller.
>>
>>13895535
Spoopy? Yes.
/m/? No.
>>
>>13892403
No, it's because the plot cues given by the design of the poster are ones that jive with SEEDs. We know now that the point was to subvert that expectation (which they did, badly), but back then, people were indeed expecting a SEED clone (with the more savvy /m/en expecting a Geass clone [which Guilty Crown actually fulfilled more faithfully, but also terribly]). Just watch the teasers. They were even trying to hide the fact that there were multiple Valvraves/V-Red's actual color scheme.
>>
File: nB05LYt.jpg (214 KB, 568x1280) Image search: [Google]
nB05LYt.jpg
214 KB, 568x1280
>>13899192
>plot cues

>there's a guy
>and there's another guy
>and a giant robot in between

>even remotely considering GC a CG clone as if CG invented freedom fighting

Look I don't know where you were going with any of this, but you saved this thread from page 9, congratulations.
>>
>>13899213
I should also mention CG didn't invent bizarre magical conspiracies, more than anything that just seems to be a calling card of Okouchi's when he's in melodrama mode, of which Valvrave was in full blast for.

VVV's bait and switch hinged more on the Gundam identity as a whole, starting off the image of a knockoff Gundam entry and revealing itself to be a supernatural soap colored in gothic narrative, which is as far removed from the Sunrise catalog as it gets these days.

The initial remarks of it looking a Seed clone were just the colloquial expression for "trainwreck shit inbound" as was the fashion to call anything and everything at the time, as an attempt to quantify what the show looked like in preview, it was highly disingenuous.
>>
>>13899213
I don't spend all my time on /m/, so occasionally a thread that I was active in won't be very active once I get back to it. Anyway, you're forgetting:

>Some sort of space colony in the background
>Heroic character looks kinda lost (i.e., innocence, he's going to fall into the cockpit), rival is serious
>Heroic character is in straightforward, utilitarian normal suit, rival is in fancy European-inspired dress uniform
>But btw the rival is closer to Athrun than to Char due to his age and lack of mask
>Gundam horns
>Name of the series is the name of the mech with a description attached

It goes on and on. They used lots of little things to try to make us draw that comparison to SEED, even if just subconsciously, so that we would be surprised when it didn't turn out anything like SEED.

>>even remotely considering GC a CG clone as if CG invented freedom fighting
>GC
>CG
>Even the initials are anagrams of each other
Come on, anon. This is the anime industry we're talking about. Their modus operandi is cloning the shit out of successful series.
>>
>>13899319
This is some Evafag level over-analyzing. Seed didn't invent any of that.
>>
>>13892243
You guys are talking shit about Eru Erufu?
>>
File: yzak.jpg (84 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
yzak.jpg
84 KB, 500x369
>>13899319
This guy was literally Yzak
Same fuccboi team too
>>
>>13899319
Space colonies are a gendum cliche, rest of your list isn't really unique to Seed so much as being shamelessly stuff you'd expect from Gundam.

And you're reaching with Guilty Crown, you could get more mileage relating it to Evangelion. I wouldn't deny any accusations of design by committee though, GC is kinda shallow in narrative (BUT BOY ARE VOID RIBBONS PRETTY TO LOOK AT).

Seriously, Valvrave is like someone remembered Dragonar, and thought "let's do like that, but this time try to be as un-Gundam as possible in the actual meat of the show."

It's designed around subverting the expectation of Gundam outside of character drama, and even the character drama is of a different breed as what you'd think.
>>
>>13899333
Thank you, jesus. They even got scarred the same way.

>>13899326
>>13899337
SEED was the most recent (and most popular) Gundam to feature those elements, though (AGE was trying for a different demo, so its marketing obviously didn't do things like focus on the implied rivalry). Here's a test: think about giving a normal a description for SEED and then handing them promo art for Valvrave, GSD, AGE, and, oh, 00. Ask them to pick which one is art of the show you just described. I guarantee they pick Valvrave. It just has to do with their proximity to each other: if you wanted to make a hit new mech series in 2013, which of the above shows are you going to ape in the marketing? Keep in mind that you're marketing to Millennial fujos and gunota, and then anyone who might have heard of some Sunrise mech series (given its popularity, likely SEED) and might be interested in whatever new thing is coming out.

As for GC: design by committee, definitely. I'm just saying that when they sat down for the first meeting, the topic was, "How do we ape CG but with even more pandering?".
>>
>>13899576
You could at least be more fair and throw Zeta in for good measure.

It's still incredibly disingenuous, especially on /m/ where people only relate things to Seed when they want to call something shit.

The VLC armor changing colors is the only point I might remotely consider conceding as it's evocative of Seed's Phase Shift Armor.
>>
>>13899333
For all his meltdowns he had one of the happiest endings, married the surviving best girl and managed to clarify the fuck ups with his firend AND was made into a king, for all of his ERUERUFUUAGH he really lucked out
>>
>>13899657
>married the surviving best gir
Fan fiction or side story?
>>
>>13892243
No, This was
https://youtu.be/m_nfKJlcEhA
>>
>>13899664
Didn't he marry that woman who was their officer? Or was that someone else?
>>
>>13899672
Now that is just creepy, they are nearly perfectly synchronized, what the fuck
>>
>>13892417
I thought it was pretty, sue me.
>>
>>13899687
Almost like Fukuda is some kind of awful hack or something
>>
>>13899192
Guilty Crown's first episode was a lot like the Geass premiere, but it immediately went off into making Shu a whiny Shinji, Inori a poor Rei, etc. and thus, just like Valvrave, it was too radically off from what people might have wanted to get from it.
>>
>>13899576
AGE was like three seasons of Gundam rolled into one show because someone at Sunrise said why the hell not.
>>
>>13899723
Even today Fukuda wants this to have a sequel, but so far noobdy has followed up on his intentions.
>>
>>13899649
>VLC
Greetings reddit!

;_;
>>
>>13899943
It took three goddamn years for someone to crack a VLC joke.

And it's not even a funny one.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.