[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Dawn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
As you may already know, after 45 years of waiting, we're finally getting a translation of the first book come March 8th.

On iBooks, they've just put up a preview of the first 59 pages.

How hyped are you for the release?
>>
>>
>>13880365
I still don't know why there's a trade federation station on the cover.
>>
So from now on instead of responding to posts we can't actually from an argument against with smug LoGH screencaps, we're just going to respond with pages from the books, right?
>>
>>13880439
>from
Assume you meant form
>>
The dramatis personae is 4 freakin' pages long. Can you imagine if they hadn't just put the names in subtitles during the episodes?
Also, I think that's the 6th spelling I've seen for Cazellnu's name.

>>13880431
Trying to reinvent the ship designs?
Dunno why, we know how well that went in Golden Wings
Pray that we don't get new designs in the new anime.
>>
>>13880365
>>13880425
This sounds like total trash. Someone trying to cash in on the Star Wars boom?
>>
>>13880472
darn, forgot the image
>>
>>13880480

Tasteless Tekkamanfags everyone.
>>
>>13880480
Snap-fit, we know that's you.

>>13880449
No?
>>
>>13880365
What is that Trade Federation Battleship doing on the cover?
>>
UNBROKEN ARROW WHEN
>>
>>13880365
Is it only on iOS? What about Barnes and Noble?
>>
>>13881768
The physical copy is able to be preordered on Amazon so yeah B&N should stock them
>>
>>13880365
First 2 volumes have already been fan translated FYI.
>>
>>13881768
>>13881823
Op here, Barnes and Nobel, and Amazon both have the novel, it's just that I've only found the preview out now on ibooks.
>>
File: LoGH.png (3 MB, 1563x1197) Image search: [Google]
LoGH.png
3 MB, 1563x1197
>>13880431
>>13880472
I'm going to explain this one final time:

The first edition, with covers by Naoyuki Kato (also the mechanical designer for the anime), was released by Tokuma Shoten.
Subsequent printings, with new covers by Yukinobu Hoshino (author of 2001 Nights), were released by Tokyo Sogensha.

The covers we're getting come from the Japanese edition. They are not some random illustrations that Haikasoru just "pasted" on for the English translation.
>>
>>13880425

So is it going to read like the Foundation series? I kind of like that approach.
>>
Just found out the book is getting a simultaneous audio release on Audible. So that's three copies I'm buying, paperback kindle and audible
>>
>>13883293

Who's reading it?
>>
>>13883224
>too broke to commission new covers anyway
F
E
D
E
R
A
TRADE
I
O
N
>>
>>13882561
Yeah but you have to BUY the OFFICIAL releases because this is /m/ and that's BOARD CULTURE
>>
>>13883309
Tim Gerard Reynolds
I haven't heard anything else he's read. No sample audio up yet for LoGH but hopefully soon
>>
>No hardcover release

A shame really.
>>
>>13883369
It's called "supporting the creators", you uncultured swine. Bet you're the same idiot whining about not having scans for The Origin because of "vertical shills".
>>
>>13883459
>supporting the creators
Give me a fucking break. What's next? Will you say it's "to show there's demand in the West for these things" as well?
>>
>>13883462
>Give me a fucking break.
No, since you started with this nonsense.

>Will you say it's "to show there's demand in the West for these things" as well?
What's wrong with that? The Nips live in a tiny nation and barely realize that the stuff they produce does have a market overseas. And it's incredibly difficult to make them change that mentality, even when you're dangling money at their faces.
>>
>>13883478
>The Nips live in a tiny nation
By what measure? The one where it has the 10th largest population in the world?
And one or two autists on /m/ buying books won't affect anything. The reason why they don't care too much about marketing overseas is because the market is still only fraction of what it is in Japan
>>
>>13883491
>And one or two autists on /m/ buying books won't affect anything.

Except there's a lot more than one or two of us that bought the vertical series. from what i've seen of threads in the past confirming purchases, I'd estimate upwards of 50 unique buyers that have confirmed just on this board.

That's not counting the large majority who would have bought the books, but not bothered to confirm with a pic or reply.
>>
Anyone guessing how well this will do in terms of sales? They promised us 4-6 and the rest if they were strong enough but I'm kind of worried.

LOGH isn't exactly well known outside of anime communities.
>>
>>13883491
>By what measure?
>The one where it has the 10th largest population in the world?
And it's only the 68th in land area, making it one of the densest countries on the planet outside of micronations like Monaco. It has the same population as Mexico in a territory that's 5 times smaller.

>And one or two autists on /m/ buying books won't affect anything.
The internet is a much bigger place than /m/. Did you know that Vertical's The Origin got into the NYT best-seller list for manga a number of times, above stuff like Attack on Titan and Wan Piss? This board doesn't have THAT much influence.

>The reason why they don't care too much about marketing overseas is because the market is still only fraction of what it is in Japan
That's complete and utter bullshit and you know that. France-Belgium, for instance, has a lot more manga and anime published officially than what's available in the US (including LoGH). And French speakers are only 220 million worldwide.
>>
>>13883543
>LOGH isn't exactly well known outside of anime communities.
I'm pretty sure that the wider "literary science-fiction" community will promote it.
>>
>>13883543

All we can do is order our copies and hope the sales spur more anon, buy extras as presents for your sci-fi friends if you want, that's a nice way to boost sales and do normal social stuff all in one go.
>>
>>13883557
I certainly hope so. If these books manage to get a shout-out from some well known scifi author that might really boost their sales.
>>
>>13883369
Yeah, imagine! Some people here have JOBS and like to put nice things on their SHELVES instead of just spending all day in a cold dark basement whining on 4chan about people buying things they like.

What fucking jackasses.
>>
>>13883572

Is sci-fi even popular at all anymore? I know fantasy sells a lot faster now and has been for a while especially since all the big named fantasy authors are American but I don't think I've seen praise for anything science fiction related in a while.
>>
>>13883628
sci-fi is so popular in the USA that the longest-running SF show currently is Red vs Blue
>>
>>13883369
I'm buying it because I have Amazon money stocked up and I can't into ebooks for shit.
>>
>>13883643
Television science fiction is not the same thing as books.
>>
>>13884004
>RvB
>Television
you what
>>
>>13884021
Filmed entertainment, what gives...
>>
So what are the differences between the book and the anime?
>>
>>13883260

In fairness, just from watching the show you can clearly tell he was influenced by Asimov in his writing.

>>13883224

Not them, but that being true doesn't change that those big ships look like nothing we've seen before.
>>
How many novels are there total anyways? I wonder what the odds of the whole thing actually getting translated is.
>>
>>13884052

10, with 4 extra volumes for side stories
>>
>>13884063
>>13884052
+ A bunch of short stories and Julian Iserlohn diary
>>
File: LoGH-2.png (3 MB, 1803x1338) Image search: [Google]
LoGH-2.png
3 MB, 1803x1338
>>13884043
>but that being true
It is true. That's why I put the freaking image as evidence that no change was made.

>those big ships look like nothing we've seen before.
I think it's dumb too, but go complain to Hoshino. In all seriousness, I think it has to do with rights issues.
Also, since it's a novel and physical descriptions are vague, artists have a lot of leeway into interpreting those into images.
>>
>>13884087

Yeah but at least the ships in the anime actually kinda look like the first illustrations
>>
File: 4199080058.jpg (65 KB, 360x500) Image search: [Google]
4199080058.jpg
65 KB, 360x500
>>13884112
>Yeah but at least the ships in the anime actually kinda look like the first illustrations
Because it was the same designer in both: Naoyuki Kato. Hoshino wasn't under any obligation to copy what Kato had done.

The same thing happened with CCA: Hi-Streamer (also illustrated by Hoshino initially). Izubuchi didn't need to follow Hoshino's art when Sunrise finally decided to adapt the novels into a movie.
Or does that look like the Nu Gundam to you?
>>
>>13884134
>Or does that look like the Nu Gundam to you?

Maybe if I was drunk it would.
>>
>>13880365
>>13880425
Can anyone take screenshots of the preview? I tried to make an iTunes account, but Crapple DEMANDS you give a credit card number.
>>
>>13883548
Hell, one of the LoGH movies has a french dub.
>>
>>13880365
How is the Translation? I have the first book pre-ordered, wanted to read the books since it's hard for me to sit and watch a show that long
>>
>>13880431
>>13880526
>It's rounded on the outside so it's trade federation

Just ignore the entire interior
>>
File: 918ZFkt1tuL.jpg (523 KB, 1400x2133) Image search: [Google]
918ZFkt1tuL.jpg
523 KB, 1400x2133
>>
>>13889635
Those ships certainly do look...different. What weird necks.
>>
>>13889807
Yeah, I don't like them really. I don't really mind a lot of these covers though that I've seen though. I haven't really watched much of the anime, only first movie and a few episodes maybe a year ago, so don't have many designs in my head regarding the universe.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.