[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did they even keep making Gundam after this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: stab.gif (1010 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
stab.gif
1010 KB, 500x375
Why did they even keep making Gundam after this?
>>
>>13877947
Because it was good?
>>
>>13877947
Because 8th MS was shit
>>
File: 1455500887466.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455500887466.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>13877971
>>
File: 1338092827711.jpg (79 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1338092827711.jpg
79 KB, 500x375
>>13877947
08th MS Team is the biggest case of wasted potential in the franchise
>>
File: loran.png (170 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
loran.png
170 KB, 500x596
Because fans needed to be taught a lesson of what Gundam was about.
>>
>>13877981

Nah, that'd be X. Holy SHIT what a let down that one was.
>>
>>13877995
I'm sorry it wasn't the edgy post apocalyptic Hokuto No Gundam you wanted it to be.
>>
>>13877947
Had to try and redeem themselves, of course.
>>
>>13877995
The only let down was that it was released when it was. Precede it by three years of nothing and it would have gotten what it deserved.
>>
>>13877947
People talk about 08th as if it was great, but they only ever refer to the Gouf fight.
>>
>>13878072
Nah. The Gouf fight was poorly coreographed, despite the decent setup.

What really made 08th watchable was the general atmosphere of the show.
>>
>>13877947
Because we got Turn A.

Unicorn is arguably better as a OVA series. Obviously 0080 reigns supreme.
>>
File: latest.png (77 KB, 300x211) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
77 KB, 300x211
>>13878097
MY LOVE TRANSCENDS THIS WAR.
>>
>>13877947
Why did you keep watching it?
>>
File: 1433401813879.png (1 MB, 665x1182) Image search: [Google]
1433401813879.png
1 MB, 665x1182
>>13878248
>Never is going to appear in East Asian Genocide: Gundam edition.

Holy shit that line would have just placed himself on the roster.
>>
I was so ready to love 08th but after the desert episode it just goes shit.

It felt like everyone on the team but Shiro just stopped having characters and followed him around. Also fuck Shiro in general, you were at side 2 you fuck one 80's haired bint shouldn't make you go full pacifist. Kiki is best girl, Aina is a shit which seems to now be a trend in Gundam.

The fights were okay for the most part but people seriously overrate the Gouf fight. It's good sure but a lot of the fight isn't really interesting or amazingly animated. It is really just that one scene with the arm rip that everyone is remembering
>>
Daily reminder that Shiro only survived the first episode because orange Balls have 120mm round-proof glass.

>>13877978

nice edge m8
>>
The main problem with 08th MS is given the screen time for the "romance" to be played out, it still is still unconvincing in delivering the message across, if not down right retarded. People (including me) liked the show because it was a nice change of pace to get none of the Newtype bullshit in a "realism" setting, and the general dynamics of the team, at least in the first half of the show. The mecha designs were also great, in which they managed to capture their own style without deviating too far from the OYW essence. A few battle scenes namely the B3 battle are also god tier in Gundam terms. But other than these, pretty much all else about the show has been shitty.
>>
>>13878003
I'm sorry it was full of flat characters and a poorly driven plot.
>>
>>13878607

> It is really just that one scene with the arm rip that everyone is remembering

That part where Norris Nanja'd his way to dodge Sander's shot was pretty cool

Oh, and so was the way Norris dispatched the noob Cannons

Personaly,my favourite part of the fight was when Shiro desperately leapt out like a tard and unloaded his guns onto the guy and missed all shots.
>>
>>13879370
>Shiro desperately leapt out like a tard and unloaded his guns onto the guy and missed all shots.

See, if that had ended with an "I'm not aiming for you!" and then someone had come up from behind Norris and stabbed him because Shiro was doing a very noticeable distraction, that'd have actually been cool.
>>
>>13877947
They could do way better than 08th and overrated spider Gouf
>>
>>13879430
Eh, it's a matter of preference, really. What I like about the fight was how it goes to show how a group of grunt-ish MCs would react when confronted with with an ace pilot that far outclassed them. Sure, Shiro and co didn't panic around like rookie X-com operatives facing down Sectopods but the sense of desperation was there and I found it enjoyable
>>
>>13877947
Why does Apply keep making phones, ipads, and computer? Because they like making money, that's the same reason they keep making Gundam. They'll stop if it's ever not successful.
>>
How did 08th do financially?
>>
>>13879502

The thing is, Norris didn't actually far outclass them - they just acted like complete and utter morons for the duration of the fight so that he could seem like a genuine threat. They're not the best pilots around even normally, but they act so far below par for that one fight it's honestly just frustrating to watch. When Norris first appears he's standing on top of a big building in the middle of the city for about 20 seconds (maybe longer depending on animation compression) during which everyone just stands around looking at him and only one person fires exactly one bullet at him. Which he's able to avoid by lazily stepping backwards. That's really, really not impressive and almost the whole fight consists of simple and lazy shit like that. It doesn't leave me feeling "Wow, Norris is such a fucking ace compared to those scrubs", it leaves me rolling my eyes and wishing the action director had known had to design a decent fight that didn't depend on one side acting like morons to work.
>>
>>13879541
I didn't help that I could not give less of a fuck about Norris. He did fuck all and then got really strong about how much he cared about everything willing to die for it

There wasn't even a rivalry
>>
>>13879541
IMO, most of the battles before this scene the 08th team didn't exactly display much excellency anyway, and the foes they faced were much lesser opponents than Norris at least as far as the plot wants to tell us. I myself would easily call this a "decent fight" just for the many pieces of emotions and tactics that you have to beg for them to appear in modern Gundam shows.
>>
>>13879541

They jobbed to make Norris look like a threat
>>
File: tumblr_ni676r8nu81s5oxc0o2_500.gif (911 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni676r8nu81s5oxc0o2_500.gif
911 KB, 500x333
>>13879541
I actually really liked the Norris fight.

For one, in the part of the episode leading up to the encounter, he's shown making pretty short work of other Federation soliders/aircraft. So he's established as an ace

But Norris was an ace in a very "human" way. He wasn't zipping around at mach 3 melting everything he saw with lasers. He was just a competent pilot who knew how to use his suit (I think he has a line of dialogue to that effect). And on the battlefield, he runs into the 08th Team which is also handling their mobile suits in very human ways, and have been for the whole series: being slow, shooting a lot but not hitting much, etc

Put another way, the theme of the show up to the final episodes was "what happens when you have normal grunts piloting mobile suits." It's fitting that the big boss was just a guy who could use his suit marginally better
>>
>>13879541
>When Norris first appears he's standing on top of a big building in the middle of the city for about 20 seconds (maybe longer depending on animation compression) during which everyone just stands around looking at him and only one person fires exactly one bullet at him.

You're thinking too much about that. The concept of passing time is lost in entertainment media especially in the anime genre for some reason. Think about how many scenes we've seen where the one character pauses to talk about his feelings in the middle of a fight or some other such inappropriate moment.

What we were supposed to infer from the fight is that Norris is an veteran ace that the 08th was not prepared for.
>>
>>13881849
I thought that scene where Norris caught that core booster was more ridiculous than anything during the final fight.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.