[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does SDF Macross deserve its renown and status as an iconic series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
Does SDF Macross deserve its renown and status as an iconic series?

It's an amusing ride, but nothing about it really stands out as remarkable. It's often mentioned in the same conversation as 0079, but Gundam did a lot more, and did it better: a sober portrayal of war, better character development, deeper character interactions/relationships, and a more intriguing story

What does Macross have?
>>
>>13875874
Yeah I know Zero and Frontier are better than that 80s crap, even better than 7 and Plus
>>
>>13875885
>Zero and Frontier are better than that 80s crap, even better than 7 and Plus
>leaving out II

It's agreed then. II is better than Zero and Frontier.
>>
>>13875874
A good time.
>>
>>13875874
I don't think it's a grand masterpiece or anything, but it's certainly an enjoyable, memorable series that stands out on its own.

Frontier really is better.
>>
>>13875874
How about this:
I don't agree with you on any of this points.
I like both and neither of them lacks in any of these departments.
The only significant difference is that Macross is more clear cut in ways of presenting the story,themes and characters while 0079 leaves a lot of room for thought.This could be both a good thing and a bad thing.
Also,while 0079 is definitely my favourite UC I wouldn't be able to appreciate it as much if the rest of the series didn't expand on it.
>>
>>13875895
Or you know, 80s crap includes DYRL and II as well?
>>
>>13875874
>Gundam did a lot more, and did it better
I agree that 0079 is way better than SDF Macross, but they were trying to do things very differently. And I think SDF Macross' renown was secured by the masterpiece movie adaptation, the series itself is lackluster in comparison
>>
>>13875874
Well it was one of the earliest anime to use pop music as part of its production to great success. And the three step mecha transformation was unique

But really Macross had a theme, it delivered on that theme, and became popular for it. DYRL especially banking on that theme with some god-tier animation to just be a good movie

I mean, sometimes things become famous because people liked them not because they changed the industry
>>
>>13875934
>1992
>80s
>>
>>13875957
>not because they changed the industry
But Macross did. It helped to prove that giant robots+cute girls sells.
>>
>>13875982
Yes, which ties into the pop music part I mentioned but it's not like that was the official goal of the show.
>>
>>13875989
>the official goal of the show
Which was?
>>
>>13876007
I don't know. It was just to parody Gundam at first right? Then it became about spreading culture as the theme. Best way to do that was Kawamori's favorite cute girls and music I guess
>>
>>13875874
I'm not saying SDF is better, but I liked it better than 0079 when I first watched them.
>>
>>13876100
Your tastes are terrible
>>
Man, I sure miss those times when we could have an SDF thread without constant baiting and general shitposting.
>>
>>13876173
I don't remember those times, but then again I've only been here since 2011.
>>
>>13876173

I don't. This place is far more entertaining when it's shitposting and memeing. You only need look in Getter threads and the like to realize that.
>>
>>13876265
>This place is far more entertaining when it's shitposting and memeing.
"/m/ is a board where people can have discussion without memeing at each other"

-Some anon in a recent /m/ thread
>>
>>13875952
I don't really care for the movie, it looked good but wasn't a good adaptation at all
>>
>>13876326

Direct me to the post, please.
>>
>>13876364
DYRL wasn't really an adaptation as it was a retelling. I've never heard anybody call DYRL an adaptation as much I've heard it called "a compressed rewrite of episodes 8-27

>>13876374
http://desustorage.org/m/thread/13792763/#13792914

I quoted it wrong

>"I'd rather have slow, informed discussion laden with the odd shitpost here and there than fast moving discussing fueled by kids with ADD trying to out-meme each other,"
>>
>>13876386

I'm supposed to think that anon is retarded and wrong, right?
>>
>>13875874
Yes, I certainly think so. The transforming plane gimmick was pretty original at the time and the whole concept of fighting the enemy with culture was incredibly interesting and well done. Sure, the series wasn't perfect but neither was 0079. But the difference is that while gundam's overall theme was "war is bad", Macross explores why romance and culture is an important deterrent to war and ultimately how culture can build bridges between societies. Plus while the characters were pretty a-typical, they also felt very relateble because they all (except max) had flaws.
>>
File: 1450129765686.png (138 KB, 241x321) Image search: [Google]
1450129765686.png
138 KB, 241x321
>>13876491
>Macross
>relatable characters
>>
>>13876491
>But the difference is that while gundam's overall theme was "war is bad", Macross explores why romance and culture is an important deterrent to war and ultimately how culture can build bridges between societies.
Yeah you're not a completely biased retard at all
>>
>>13876403
Yes
>>
Pack it up folks. Valvrager/Recorager is here. Having a good thread is pointless now
>>
>>13875874
It and the original Gundam defined a lot of what is essential to mecha, for better or worse. The genre would probably not be the same without either of the two.

Not to mention that it popularized transforming mecha; it's why they added the same types in Zeta, after all.
>>
>>13875874
it kick started the idolshit garbage we see today.
>>
>>13876512
Excellent rebuttal good sir, duly noted.

>>13876517
Nice Ad Hominem.
>>
>>13875874
>What does Macross have?
The best transforming mecha. That's it, really. Well, until Frontier fucked it up
>>
>What does Macross have?

it isnt utter shit like gundam

0079(TV run) was absolute horseshit
the series that actually saved gundam, zeta, has the best design in UC that people attempt to replicate in universe for years,and its inspired by macross

tl;dr macross saved the abortion that is gundam
>>
>>13876584
>The best transforming mecha
I can not in good conscience and straight face agree with that.
>>
>>13876491
It's more than "war is bad".To me Gundam as a whole shows the weakness and hypocrisy inherent to human beings.
Mascross is overall way more optimistic.This is not necessarily bad.It manages to do it without coming off as overly cheesy about it like some modern shows.
>>13876517
Dude.Take it easy.
>>
>>13876512
I am sorry if there weren't enough intelligent nihilistic characters with a wicked sense of humor you could relate to.
>>
>>13876613

You think this better?
>>
>>13876613

your shit taste is showing
>>
>>13876613
Compared to what?
>>
>>13876625
Not in a million years, no.
>>13876626
As is yours friendo.
>>
>>13876606
>the series that actually saved gundam, zeta
Uh, Zeta had higher ratings but besides the toys, the reason Zeta even existed was because of the reception the recap movies had.

0079 saved itself
>>
>>13875874
I started watching frontier the other day when will it get good
>>
>>13876808

Episodes 1-7 + the finale are the only decent parts of the show. So never.
>>
>>13876808
Just watch the movies
>>
File: 33959636_p0.jpg (240 KB, 800x1041) Image search: [Google]
33959636_p0.jpg
240 KB, 800x1041
>>13876584
>Well, until Frontier fucked it up
Nice meme.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.