[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Conquered Land Mass of the Earth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: World Map by 2066.png (199 KB, 1059x795) Image search: [Google]
World Map by 2066.png
199 KB, 1059x795
I apologize if this may be off-topic, but I need help. How much percent of the Earth are the areas in red? It's for a story I'm writing about aliens conquering the Earth, but are stuck in a war of attrition with humanity.
>>
>>13869601
Hmm...

Ten.
>>
>>13869607
I think he means excluding water
>>
>>13869611
Ten.
>>
>>13869601
just say the aliens control all the shitty parts of the world and Africa is next
>>
I'm going to math this for you
57.58 million square miles of land total is earth
21.14 million square miles of land in eurasia
so
21.14/57.58
0.36714136853%
So just say like 37% or so guesstimate
>>
>>13869601

You keep the rough numbers in >>13869622 in your production bible, OP, and instead use "almost half". Gets the readers everytime.
>>
>>13869622
How much of that useful land?
>>
>>13869700
let's just stop for a second
>siberia Useful
>gobi desert useful
>Himilain range and tibetai plateu
>middle east useful outside of oil
Not nearly as much as you think. Asia's a big fucking place, but there's a reason major civilizations didn't pop up in most of it. Though it has a lot of resources so you can make argument sfrom that point of view
>>
>>13869601
>Albania seems unconquered

I will never doubt the power of bunkers again.

More seriously, isn't this a little too close to the Muv-Luv strategic situation?
>>
>>13869762

>>Albania seems unconquered

>>>I will never doubt the power of bunkers again.

I apologize for that. Had problems using the "spill paint" feature on MS Paint.

>>13869612
>>13869615
>>13869622

Then how do I make it sixty percent.

>>13869762

>>More seriously, isn't this a little too close to the Muv-Luv strategic situation?

I'm not familiar with Muv-Luv. For the aliens, they're headquarted in Japan.
>>
>>13869601
Is that Muv-Luv Alternative?
>>
>>13870143
Throw in most of Africa, and you'll be at over half.
>>
>>13870143
Some context would help. For instance, why have the aliens managed to conquer all of Western Europe as well as Russia and China but not Africa or Australia? Africa has dogshit for military (countries get toppled all the time, back in the 70s and now), and while Australia is no third-world country it's certainly not as strong as China.

Saying that aliens have conquered 60% of Earth's land mass is impressive on paper, but it's just as important what areas have been conquered and why. Unless this is some weird future where the African Union somehow discovered an assload of natural resources and became a global superpower overnight, and Europe has somehow stagnated to shit, the readers are going to be asking some pretty logical questions that you may be ill-equipped to answer.
>>
File: Eurasia is fucked.jpg (337 KB, 2232x1216) Image search: [Google]
Eurasia is fucked.jpg
337 KB, 2232x1216
>>13869762
>>13870200
Aside from Japan, Eastern Siberia and SEA being fucked and Spain still being alive, yeah this is pretty much Muv Luv Alternative.

>>13869601
You should check out the Muv Luv franschise, it's basically what you're describing here.
>>
>>13870450
Do BETA just... walk across the bottom of the sea to get across water? Could they hypothetically cross the ocean?
>>
>>13870470
Well, that is how they cross straits and shit. Large stretches of water are an obstacle for them though.

I don't think they've ever crossed an ocean floor in canon. They can tunnel though. I suspect that's how they'd eventually get across.
>>
>>13870470
They periodically need to recharge at the nearest Hive reactor.

There is almost nothing in nature that is stopping them from walking across the seabed, but they'd run out of power if they tried crossing the Pacific or get crushed when they get to the Marianas Trench. Usually, for hotspots near land connections or with sea straits, the world's navies take turns dropping depth charges on the passing BETA during invasion events.

The problem is that they (largely, there are cases like Kamchatka where the BETA just cut a straight line towards the peninsula through the Sea of Okhotsk if they feel like it) gravitate towards the closest point of land-to-land contact (whether after sending hundreds of BETA walking in all directions to see which one makes land first or being able to sense planetary geography, it's never specified) which is how areas like Suez, Dover, and Fukuoka are constantly in danger of invasion swarms from the mainland because, after local density of BETA per square measurement of the land reaches a critical point, the BETA will gather and march away from the Hive region they're in.

This happens to all Hives, which is why culling operations by shore and deep-striking are the current running strategy while humans keep looking for an answer to the issue of pesky invaders, because if they let a continent's worth of BETA split themselves into three army swarms, they really are going to get fucked.
>>
>>13870143
>Central command on earthquake zone
Why?
>>
>>13870410
>conquering Australia
lol the wildlife would eat them alive
>>
File: World Map by 2066.png (197 KB, 1059x795) Image search: [Google]
World Map by 2066.png
197 KB, 1059x795
>>13870200

You could say that, but it's more MOSPEADA-esque. and as a reply to >>13870504, Japan is like their Reflex Point.

>>13870214

Would pic be half or more?

>>13870410

Not all of Western Europe go conquered. The aliens stopped at the English Channel and the France-Spain border. Also, the story's main twist is that, both humanity and the aliens are being manipulated into fighting each other by an individual hiding in the shadows, and that, his plan going like this:

1. Have the aliens teleport and conquer, then have them stop.

2. Approve of technology found from a wrecked vessel of another alien race the conquering aliens destroyed before mass-produced. This allows humanity to take back most of the territory that fell to the aliens, with the aliens only being entrenched in certain cities and not every piece of land they step on, as well as the link up with the liberation forces and remnants of the armed forces of the conquered territories.

3. Make the aliens put up a much better fight as humanity takes the fight to them in their headquarters in Japan.

>>13870450

>>You should check out the Muv Luv franschise, it's basically what you're describing here.

Do not know where to start.

Also, more will be revealed as I get my reply from >>13870214.
>>
>>13870493
So, why won't humans just build giant floating cities and ignore the BETA?
>>
File: muvluv2001.jpg (840 KB, 2232x1216) Image search: [Google]
muvluv2001.jpg
840 KB, 2232x1216
>>13870450
Updated political map version (also nicer looking).
>>
>>13871002
>>13870450
What happens to captured hives?
>>
I didn't mean for this to turn into a Muv-Luv thread.
>>
File: Rutherfordfield.png (320 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
Rutherfordfield.png
320 KB, 1024x600
>>13871033
they become g-element mines
>>
Can we please get back on-topic?
>>
>>13870992

The sea will literally corrode it something fierce on a yearly basis whether it's by salt corrosion, very shitty weather, or fucking with you by playing guess-the-undercurrent. You can't sea-proof an entire city even with current technology. How are you even going to construct one in the first place?

If you really want to shake a tune in the "alternate-habitat" direction, space colonies are legit a better solution than floating cities, space is for all intents and purposes sterile. You might need to worry about mold in the vents and ice on the cams but at least your outer hull isn't being oxidized on a per-second basis while you STILL have to worry about mold in the vents and on the cams in a floating city.

BETA strip-mining also has a tendency to eventually destroy the ecosystem, but I don't think they can create a large-enough effect to lower sea levels enough to let them island-hop from Norway to Iceland then Greenland and beyond, anyways. Majority of Europe is pretty much a grey-brown desert now, though.

>>13870800
The BETA are straitjacketed into preferring overland routes which is why the other Anon said that leaving Africa untouched in this case seems odd. I assume your ayylmaos, which are an actual sentient race, are not biologically programmed to prefer land as an invasion route.

Thing is, though, one continent down is usually a major point already. Throwing hard numbers like "60% of the world lost" doesn't add much more than a bit of seasoning on the general impression of "these ayylmaos fucked us up good". I notice the aliens stopped (meaning the map you have there is a "stopped" invasion and not "invasion progress circa 2066") before the humans get their overtech from the other aliens so if these enemies can teleport (unmitigated repositioning of allies is literally the wet dream of every commander), why did they stop? Was it just because of shadow manipulation of alien politics? For how long has the war been going on until 2066?
>>
>>13871306
>space is for all intents and purposes sterile

How did BETA conquer the moon, then?
>>
It's your story OP. You can do what you like.

One question that I'd hope you address is how the Red Sea front is defensible. That seems like a very long front that your aliens should be able to cross on the evidence of your map.
>>
>>13871306

>>which is why the other Anon said that leaving Africa untouched in this case seems odd. I assume your ayylmaos, which are an actual sentient race, are not biologically programmed to prefer land as an invasion route.

First of all, I don't intend on ignoring Africa, but I want to keep the alien's gains at sixty percent, so where should I stop? Second, the aliens magically teleport, with that being how they invaded other countries at the same time.

>>Thing is, though, one continent down is usually a major point already. Throwing hard numbers like "60% of the world lost" doesn't add much more than a bit of seasoning on the general impression of "these ayylmaos fucked us up good". I notice the aliens stopped (meaning the map you have there is a "stopped" invasion and not "invasion progress circa 2066") before the humans get their overtech from the other aliens so if these enemies can teleport (unmitigated repositioning of allies is literally the wet dream of every commander), why did they stop? Was it just because of shadow manipulation of alien politics? For how long has the war been going on until 2066?

In actuality, the aliens attempted past raids pre-2066. In fact, the full invasion started in 2065, and yes, the map is to show the areas under alien control by 2066. The alien vessel wasn't found until June 3, 2066. As to why the aliens stopped, the manipulator did that as proof he controls the humans and aliens from the shadows.
>>
>>13873079
>so where should I stop?

Well, you can take the measurements in >>13869622 and afterwards get yourself a chart list of nations in Africa sorted by landmass, find the ones in North Africa, and keep adding their measurements to the total occupied landmass until you're hitting the 60% mark of world total.

No easy way to do this, unfortunately. You can try https://www.freemaptools.com/area-calculator.htm but it calculates total surface area inclusive of water zones so it might help as a guide to skip some parts of the above step or something. I don't think there is one that specifically calculates the world's total landmass percentage by individual nations.
>>
>>13873139

I just calculated that even with Africa, it won't reach sixty percent. So I edited the map to include Greenland and the independent half of New Guinea island (Papua New Guinea), bringing it to approximately fifty-one percent. See pic.

Also, I'll explain a bit on more on why "losing half of Earth" is bad. In truth, the story I'm working on is a fanfic to a certain series where, to counter the aliens, women were given certain enhancements to fight said aliens, with men given separate enhancement to support said women. The instant loss of this amount of ground is what led to the shutdown of the project involving these men and women, placing importance on the technology found in that alien ship. Said vessel is found in the Western Sahara area, which explains why it wasn't conquered yet, in that, the manipulator told the aliens to stop there while conquering Africa.
>>
File: World Map by 2066.png (120 KB, 1059x795) Image search: [Google]
World Map by 2066.png
120 KB, 1059x795
>>13873139
>>13874604

Forgot pic.
>>
>>13869601
>aliens conquering the Earth
>stuck in a war of attrition with humanity.

Yeah, your story makes no sense. Higher ground determines every war, and aliens arriving from space would have total and complete air superiority.
>>
Why not throw in parts of America if you're aiming for the plot device being found in Africa?
>>
>>13874616

Well, not if you're on the set for Battle of Los Angeles or Battleship!
>>
>>13874616

They didn't arrive from space. They teleported in certain locales, and the manipulator only had them not attack the Americas and the British Isles to prove that he controls the aliens.

>>13874619

>>you're aiming for the plot device being found in Africa

Because the plot device ends up being mobile. A group of individuals realize something's wrong with the war, especially with how the aliens fight, and form their own city-state in the ship. Their suspicions are mostly right with information from the protagonist, who knows what the manipulator looks like and has a score to settle with him.
>>
>>13874612
>Greenland larger than Africa
Fucking Mercator.
>>
File: oval-world-map-globe[1].png (157 KB, 1000x512) Image search: [Google]
oval-world-map-globe[1].png
157 KB, 1000x512
>>13875517
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's triggered by the mercator map.
>>
>>13869601

Bro, I'm in the middle of my own map-making woes for my own shitty fiction.

I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to figure out how much of earth's surface I could dot with impact craters (And how large I could make said craters) such that Human civilization is set back a couple centuries without fully fucking up the environment and making life hellish.

(A la Ace Combat 4 and Ace Combat Infinity, but a touch more severe)
>>
Since nothing else needs to be said, I'll settle at fifty-one percent, like the map I made in >>13874612.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.