[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where to start for someone new?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: gawain.jpg (9 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
gawain.jpg
9 KB, 212x238
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place, and my apologies probably won't be much, but what'd you recommend as a good place to start watching mecha shows.

pic somewhat related
>>
half of what I wanted to post didn't
sorry;

"Like where'd you start for someone who has pretty much never watched a mecha show - would you start them off with somthing more set in a grounded reality e.g. code geass or somthing more whimsical and out there, like gurren lagan.

I am entirely asking for myself, since I have barely watched any mecha shows, and only seeing clips of some and a couple episodes of captain planet here and there."
>>
File: Gundam Series Guide.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
Gundam Series Guide.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3402
>>13806179
Personally, I'd say begin with Gundam, since it's arguably THE essential mecha franchise.
>>
That depends a lot on a few factors.
1) How old of a series/manga/movie/ova are you willing to go?
2) How much mecha are you wanting to read?
3) What kind of tone are you looking for?

Both of the shows you mentioned >>13806187
are fairly recent, and Gurren Lagann esp. improves if you have a larger mecha vocabulary and are able to understand the references and influences.
>>
>>13806218
#2 should have read "How mu"ch mecha are you wanting to watch/read?
>>
>>13806187
Well what you posted is not a terrible place to start, but I'm assuming you've seen it already.

If you like more grounded in reality then TTGL is not the correct choice although you would probably still enjoy it.

I kinda agree with >>13806187
But jumping straight into UC Gundam can be jarring for some people, especially the young not used to QUALITY

I'd recommend starting with an AU, and if you are a Geass fan you will probably enjoy 00 Gundam.
>>
>>13806187
Geass is a good place to start
>>
>>13806218

1) Anything - I honestly don't care, just want a good show
2) A fair bit but not overly much if you know what I mean - not overwhelming but still quite a lot
3) Honestly, somthing a little bit more serious, but not somthing that takes it self way to seriously

>>13806231
I've already watched TTGL, I was referring to Geass for the more grounded in reality.

Also, I'll robably sound really dumb, but what is UC gundam, and AU? Sorry for asking this

>>13806242
Already watched it

>>13806190
Thanks, but that list is a little overwhelming, like is there anything to skip, or should I jump in with anything or is there a chronology/ order to watch the shows in?
>>
>>13806253
00 Gundam
>>
File: 227858.jpg (270 KB, 1280x904) Image search: [Google]
227858.jpg
270 KB, 1280x904
Neo Ranga is very newcomer-friendly
>>
>>13806179
Watch 0079 and SDF
After that watch whatever you want, since most of the refences in other shows come from these two and its sequels.
>>
>>13806267
Fuck yeah Neo Ranga

I also recommend it, OP.
>>
>>13806187
Code Geass is a good starting point if you're familiar with anime but mecha in partiular.
>>
>>13806253
Ignore the Gundamfags. They occupy most of this board and overblow its importance despite admitting that it has gone on far too long and basically just recycles the same plot again and again.

I'd say watch Dai Guard. I don't think it's possible to dislike it. Some other good ones are Giant Robo: The Animation: The Day the Earth Stood Still and Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
>>
>>13806304
>overblow its importance

Considering a large chunk of series here technically owe their existence to its success...not really?

In fact, for the amount of shitposting it garners, it kind of breaks even.

>Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
Now if you want to talk overblown importance...
>>
>>13806304
Get over yourself. Gundam may be 80% trash series, 15% plastic and 5% substance, but it's fun and those series that are good are as very good as the others are very bad.

It's best to think of it as a sample for anime in general. Not everyone is going to like the same show/MS/characters, but it's varied enough that if you try a few series, watch a few episodes of each and eventually you will find the one interesting enough to decide to continue.
>>
For Gundam, you should really start with the first series in UC (Universal Century, aka the main line/original setting) rather than an AU (Alternate Universe, aka a spin-off that usually uses the same traits as UC but spun in a new way, free of historical baggage). If you're planning on watching mecha then you'd better get used to watching older shows that usually have low production values. This does not mean they are bad.
Mobile Suit Gundam (aka MSG, 0079, First G [if you're a jap])
First in the series, sets up all of UC, great fight choreography, great cast, good depiction of both sides of a war. Animation ranges from decent (for 1979) to shit (Doan's Island episode is the worst with 30% stock footage and 60% pure Korean work). Last handful of episodes are a little rushed because the show was basically cancelled.
Zeta Gundam (aka Zeta, Z) is basically what happens when Sunrise realizes they have a gold mine. Animation is much better (on top of being made 7 years later), story is more mature, and there are many more interesting designs to sell Gunpla of. /m/ can't decide if it's one of the best of the franchise or if it's absolute shit. We can usually agree that some of the cast can be insufferable at times and the short-term plot suffers for that on occasion. Sets up the concept of multiple factions fighting rather than a 1v1 and MC getting an upgraded Gundam halfway through the series, both of which are used for nearly every entry in the franchise afterwards. There's a lot more to this because it is a direct sequel to 0079 so it continues those themes.

Tbc
>>
>>13806335
>>13806346
Whatever you think of it, asking someone to marathon several fifty episode long shows all in the same franchise before sampling anything else is not a good way to introduce someone to a genre, nor does it give them a very large frame of reference

I am not claiming that Gundam is shit, only that he should watch it when he's sure he even likes mecha in no small part because of the reason s mentioned above and because the last thing this board needs is another Gundam shitposter
>>
>>13806335
All mecha series owe their existence to the success of Mazinger, and yet where are the people recommending that?

I guess I'll be the one to do that. If you feel like reading old manga, check out Mazinger Z to see how the internally piloted mecha genre started out. Mazinkaiser is a great adaptation of the series and just a fun mecha ova period, but it's full of a lot of references to the series the series that will go over your head if you haven't read or watched Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger.
>>
Assorted recommendations incoming, pick one and go nuts

Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Aura Battler Dunbine
Blue Comet Layzner
Bubblegum Crisis
Chojuu Kishin Dancouga
Code Geass
Dai-Guard
Daitarn 3
Eureka Seven (TV series ONLY, the rest is shit)
Fang of the Sun Dougram
Full Metal Panic!
Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu
Getter Robo*
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still
Godannar
Gunbuster
Gundam**
GunXSword
Guyver
King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Macross**
Mazinkaiser
New Getter Robo
Overman King Gainer
Patlabor**
RahXephon
Samurai Flamenco
Shin Mazinger Z
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Space Runnaway Ideon
Symphogear
Tekkaman Blade
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Tetsujin-28 (the 2004 series)
The Big O
Visions of Escaflowne
Xabungle
Zambot 3

*Read the manga, then watch any of the OVAs
**Bunch of shows/movies/etc fall under these, if you have to ask what to watch first the answer is always production order.
>>
>>13806363
ZZ Gundam (pronounced "double zeta" aka ZZ, shit, It's Not Anime, etc.) is a really different entry. Just as seven years pass in universe and in real life between 0079 and Zeta, one year has passed again. It completely changes focus and themes and becomes much more lighthearted for the first half. Cast is not quite as bad overall compared to Zeta but many dislike how silly they act and how the series shits on some fan favorites. If you can enjoy or suffer through the first half then the second half is standard Gundam faire. Wraps up many parts of Zeta that were left open. Despite what you hear it is canon. Nearly wraps up early UC themes while introducing a few of its own.
Char's Counter Attack (aka CCA, or the murder of char's character). Can't say much without spoiling but if you make it this far you're already going to watch it. Movie, not a series.
This is just for Gundam by the way, there are plenty of other franchises. Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Getter Robo, Mazinger Z, and Gundam are just the four most influential/largest user base/most talked about. You shouldn't confine yourself to these series and I encourage you to explore a much wider variety.

Gotta do some shit but will talk about AUs in a few minutes.
>>
File: Timeline.jpg (572 KB, 1280x1028) Image search: [Google]
Timeline.jpg
572 KB, 1280x1028
>>13806253
You should go through that infographic, along with this one and make yourself a list of what to watch after lurking in a few gundam threads to see what personality types like which series.

I was in the same boat a while ago and heres my watch list(though people who can't deal with art level changes would probably hang me for putting them in timeline order and not release order):

0079, Zeta, 0083, ZZ, CCA, 08th, 0080, Unicorn, F91, Victory, G, Wing+Endless Waltz, X, Turn A, SEED + Destiny, 00+S2+movie, AGE, G-Reco
>>
>>13806179
>>>/wsr/

I unfortunately don't have a lot of the charts, but I could easily recommend the GitS original movie.

What all have you watched?

>>13806231
>if you are a Geass fan you will probably enjoy 00 Gundam.
Explain that logic? 00 is ok for a starting point.
Has a lot of very cool moments. Also has Virtue.
>>
File: 1453145955836.jpg (3 MB, 2500x2800) Image search: [Google]
1453145955836.jpg
3 MB, 2500x2800
If you're looking for charts there's this one.
*note: I only saved it recently and I can't attest to its quality, but I will say the title of the chart is a bit insulting.
>>
>>13806499
I wish we would stop posting this meme chart, or at least modify it. Its age definitely shows. I can't believe there was a time on this board when Aquarion was considered a worthwhile show to recommend.
>>
>>13806179

Patlabor.

Literally everybody likes Patlabor.
>>
>>13806516
Aquarion is just kinda boring at worst

The problem lies in the sequel
>>
>>13806379
Actually never mind, the infographics can explain enough about them. Don't watch them in chronological order, but if you feel the need:
Don't watch 08th MS Team (or anything except G Gundam, really) until after 0079.
Don't watch 0083 until after Zeta.
Don't watch CCA until after Zeta.
Don't watch F91 or Victory until after all of early UC.
Don't watch Unicorn until after CCA.
Don't watch Turn A until after you have a feel of Gundam in general, including AUs. This one doesn't matter as much but it's more for enjoyment rather than spoilers or continuous plot.
Otherwise, have fun.

>>13806377 is a great list, pretty much all of my favorites on there.
>>
Sorry about not replying, I had to sleep soon after my last post (>>13806253), and during today I've had to go to school and work on some projects

>>13806260
>>13806267
>>13806293
>>13806294
>>13806301
>>13806304
noted

>>13806363
I'll probably start off with 0079, if the animation gets that bad I'll probably just go and watch some other show and come back to it
>>13806379
Alright, thanks for the explanation

>>13806369
I honestly don't mind marathoning long shows in order to get to the good stuff, for example I marathonned a lot of hajime no ippo (which in my opinion starts off good but gets somewhat worse, picking back up around the episode 40 mark) in order to get back into the ultra hype feeling. If a show gets bad but I want to see what'll happen, I'll probably just watch it on my second screen whilst playing a game or doing some work.

>>13806375
I'll probably download and read that on my phone when on the bus - it's the way I got through the low points of jojo, just reading it on my down time when I don't have anything going on. I'll read mazinger z, then great mazinger and if I still like it, Mazinkaiser

>>13806377
Alright, thanks for this list, though I'm not really sure where to start off with Ghost in the shell (this sounds dumb, but my friends have told me to watch somethings and not others)

>>13806388
Ok I'll likely watch it in the order you listed, since I quite like watching things in chronology, and don't particularly care about art levels changing

>>13806419
I've only watched code geass and ttgl, but I've seen an episode here and there of captain earth and some clips of gundam unicorn - I really like the look of unicorn, but I don't think I'll start with it

>>13806519
Noted

>>13806545
alright thanks for this
>>
>>13809461
>the order you listed, since I quite like watching things in chronology
His order isn't chronological though, as 0080, 08th MS Team and MS Igloo all occur simultaneously with the first show.

At any rate watching anything in any way other than production order is retarded.
>>
>>13809491
Oh ok, I didn't realize, I just assumed, sorry
>>
File: gundamguide.jpg (3 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
gundamguide.jpg
3 MB, 2800x3402
>>13806190
Wrong one
>>
>>13809461
>though I'm not really sure where to start off with Ghost in the shell
The movies are generally good. Stand Alone Complex is the TV series, also good. Arise is eh.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.