[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la testnews/2016/robot-wars
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10
File: matilda.gif (64 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
matilda.gif
64 KB, 500x425
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2016/robot-wars-returns

>Mentorn Scotland, part of the Tinopolis Group, has been commissioned by BBC Two to produce a new series of the man and machine battle series Robot Wars, it was announced today.

>The iconic entertainment show will return as a 6x60’ series and will feature a new structure with more robots, more battles and more science than ever before.

>The new series includes a raft of technological advances since the show first aired over a decade ago, and viewers can expect to see more innovative fighting machines as teams of amateur roboteers battle it out to win the coveted Robot Wars title.

Who's hype?
>>
Will HYPENO DISC come back?
>>
I nicknamed my dick Sergeant Bash.
>>
File: Robot-Wars.jpg (47 KB, 615x416) Image search: [Google]
Robot-Wars.jpg
47 KB, 615x416
I hope he comes back for it, Craig's commentary was bloody great.
>>
File: KILLALOT.jpg (61 KB, 708x388) Image search: [Google]
KILLALOT.jpg
61 KB, 708x388
who /bestrobot/ here?
>>
>>13744253
I guess I am just sad and jaded that robot combat in real life is so much less cool than in fantasy. No matter how fast they spin or how hard they hit, without the accompanied special light and sound reffects it just isn't as cool as in fiction. It's like watching a real life sword fight vs a hollywood sword fight.
>>
File: 1407782042798s.jpg (2 KB, 94x124) Image search: [Google]
1407782042798s.jpg
2 KB, 94x124
>>13744253
>tfw the most simple flipper armed robot will win at everything anyway.
>>
>>13744316
Even as a kid I knew this but Robot Wars had a few things going for it at least like the commentary from Craig Charles and the weird ass designs. Also that hype you would get when a house robot entered. When you watch robot wars on your own it sucks, I watched it with friends and it was always a good laugh but I watched it once on my own and it got boring real quick.
>>
>>13744322
Either that or a lawnmower spinner.
>>
>>13744322
The final champion was a spin bot though, wrecked every flipper that got near it.
>>
>>13744322
Fucking flippers overcentralising the metagame
>>
File: Tornadowithblade.png (110 KB, 434x245) Image search: [Google]
Tornadowithblade.png
110 KB, 434x245
Just how mad were you, /m/?
>>
>>13744322
i hate this shit why dont they just make guns legal and then we'd have some scopedog fights
>>
>>13744404

extremely mad

being stuck on top of a pit is obviously disabled
>>
>>13744334
Only because the match was pretty much rigged, it was well known they heavily editted that final match stream and that the Judges hated Storm 2 for being 'boring'.

In the actual uneditted footage Storm 2 rammed the shit out of Typhoon from the word go until Typhoon broke the sidewall by accident. But then when they took that break to repair the wall the judges let Typhoon repair their robot AND get back to full power.

Once the match restarted Storm 2 still did a number on them, they actually managed to rip off its drive chains and heavily damage it. But the judges marked Typhoon as having taken NO DAMAGE, everyone in the arena knew it was rigged, producers tried to drown out all the booing with canned applause/cheers.

What killed the series wasn't overcentralizing it was just straight up drama and match fixing.
>>
>>13744404
>>13744410
To be fair timeout happened before the disabled count could finish.
>>
>>13744418
Even so how the fuck do you arrive at the conclusion that Tornado won?
>>
>>13744404
still mad

>>13744253
I hope at the same time as this new robot series comes out we get a new scrapheap challenge as well as more attention for things like the Red Bull Soapbox Race and Bognor Birdman, and engineering takes off in the same way that home baking did with the great british bakeoff. And then soon britain has its own space program but its ordinary people building rockets out washing and cars and whatever in their garden sheds
>>
>>13744305

Fucking right. His commentary was half the reason I watched.

>>13744404

I was so fucking mad even as a kid when I saw that thing.
>>
>>13744420
Because Razer still holding onto Tornado's cage. If it had let go and dropped Tornado over the pit, it would have won.

Also, Razer's incredibly overrated.
>>
>>13744305
>>13744459
if you need more of Craig Charles saying words there's his funk and soul show
>>
>>13744471
or all of Red Dwarf.

Which is currently filming it's 11th and 12th seasons.

Or the british dub of Takeshi's Castle
>>
>>13744328
>When you watch robot wars on your own it sucks, I watched it with friends and it was always a good laugh but I watched it once on my own and it got boring real quick.

This. Robot War and the DARPA Robotic Challenge are for streaming or to be watched with friends in person.
>>
File: Razer.jpg (133 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Razer.jpg
133 KB, 1000x750
>>13744306
wrong pic
>>
>>13744416
Oh? any proof...I can believe it, but the fact such a thing never got into the paprs by digruntled audience members seems odd considering the papers went crazy over the blue peter cat name debacle...
>>
>>13744767
Not the guy you're responding to, but can confirm. A few people (in particular Team Storm's captain Ed Hoppitt) stated this was the case. Robot Wars was doing badly in ratings at that time so that's why no one really gave a shit.
>>
>>13744322
That's why it was cancelled, that's what literally every fight became.

>>13744305
Reminder that he was bored as shit by Robot Wars and had to take cocaine to get himself through it
>>
>>13744940
>implying coked-up announcers aren't the best thing
>>
>>13744322
>Said the Anon who is oblivious to the fact that a flipper only won 2 out of 7 season championships and 0 world championships
>>
When does the next battle bots season air?

>Me and my friends still dont know how Nightmare managed to win the battle royal
>>
>>13744463
>Also, Razer's incredibly overrated.
Razer is a engineering thing of beauty, you can't help but just love the finish and design on it.
>>
File: CraigCharlesS3Balcony.jpg (43 KB, 623x462) Image search: [Google]
CraigCharlesS3Balcony.jpg
43 KB, 623x462
What mecha would he pilot?
>>
>>13745088
A red, short one.
>>
>>13744416
>Only because the match was pretty much rigged, it was well known they heavily editted that final match stream and that the Judges hated Storm 2 for being 'boring'.
>>13744416
>What killed the series wasn't overcentralizing it was just straight up drama and match fixing.
Well it is clear the issue is that Robot Wars is a "Reality Show" before Reality Show was a thing. As in it is orchestrated drama. All because robot fights just aren't that interesting to look at.
>>
who /wheely big cheese/ here?
Was fun to play as against my brothers in Extreme Destruction as a little kid
>>
>>13744404

That was such fucking bullshit, jesus.
>>
>>13744404
This is when I stopped watching Robot Wars.
>>
HYPEEEENODISKKKK
>>
>>13744316
Eh, Robot Wars had some pretty fun stuff
>At some point robots with flippers are introduced, wreck everything
>Some random robot no one cares about gets flipped and everyone starts acting like it's lost
>A lever pops out of its roof, flipping itself back onto its feet
>After that, "SRiMechs" became standard issue

>Team brag about how their robot has been upgraded, but all they seem to have done is give it a cooler-looking chassis with spikes on it.
>Performs worse than it did last time, seemingly due to the extra weight
>The final round is a tug-o-war match against a House Robot
>Like everyone else, it's quickly overpowered...
>But as this happens, it tilts forward and its "decorative spikes" jam into the ground, slowing it long enough to get the high score.

>That robot covered in fur that always caught fire. ALWAYS.

There was generally more variety than stuff like Battlebots, where it tended to boil down to who had the most powerful engine.
>>
>>13745821
>>That robot covered in fur that always caught fire. ALWAYS.
Funny thing is Diotoir was actually a pretty dangerous flipper bot, just it's operators couldn't drive for shit.

>>13745190
Wheely big cheese comes to mind as well when talking about powerful robots with horrid drivers.
>>
>>13744333
I loved that one team that entered a robot with a spinning hull covered in blades, claiming that it was basically Hypnodisk without the weakpoints...

But they'd apparently never heard of Newton's Third Law, because whenever they tried ramming someone they bounced off and went FLYING BACKWARDS THROUGH THE AIR without inflicting any damage.
>>
>>13744328
>Also that hype you would get when a house robot entered.
And that hype when someone actually manages to *take out* a house robot.
>>
>>13745838
Well it was dangerous that one time they could use the flipper per match. The flipper was after all a car spring they loaded before the match and had no way of re-loading mid match.

While the operators may not have been the best in the world, they were deservedly considered the most entertaining team. Not only did they have the tradition of catching fire every match, they were great fun between matches.
>>
>Battle Bots returned last year
>Robot Wars is coming back

Is this 2015?
>>
File: fucked up frogs.png (24 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
fucked up frogs.png
24 KB, 640x560
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758
>>
Considering droids are the big thing these days, will this or Battle Bots end up putting minor air combat?
>>
File: player_one_843.jpg (7 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
player_one_843.jpg
7 KB, 320x240
Guise, what is all the hype about?

The meta game is still just wedges.
>>
File: HDE2.jpg (27 KB, 800x417) Image search: [Google]
HDE2.jpg
27 KB, 800x417
>>13744745
wrong pic
>>
>>13745887
Speaking of great fun say what you will about flippers being stale but the Firestorm vs Panic Attack match in the Extreme series was amazing, it really showed what a difference a good driver could make.

After beating Panic Attack they went on to take out Sgt. Bash and then managed to actually flip Mr. Psycho just through getting into a good position and dodging the hammer blows.

The hammer was actually a threatening weapon as it just smashed the insides of any robot, I remember even seeing Chaos 2 get utterly crushed when it took a direct blow.

That is no small feat, remember Mr. Psycho weighed nearly 1 ton and was massive. Most flipper bots who tried to take it on ended up flipping themselves over because it was too heavy.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.