[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Actually good Mecha books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11
File: ArmorOriginalCover.gif (19 KB, 158x272) Image search: [Google]
ArmorOriginalCover.gif
19 KB, 158x272
ITT: Actually good Mecha books
>>
>>13730361
Mechwarrior - Anything but Dark Ages

Keith Laumer's Bolo series - Assuming you're one of those into "supertanks > anything else".

Not sure about the Warhammer series though.
>>
>>13730382
I'm more of a giant robotic humanoid > everything else but thanks, I'll check these out
>>
File: 1451611808250.jpg (162 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451611808250.jpg
162 KB, 640x480
>>13730361
Okay OP, you go first.
>>
>>13730484
I did
>>
Aside from the Demonbane prequel novels, are there even any "super robot" style books?

Maybe I ought to write one. There's untapped potential here
>>
Starship Troopers
>>
>>13732607
Not that I can think of.
>>
is ender's game /m/
>>
Hammer's Slammers maybe? There's very few scifi books that can be considered "Good" on a literary scale. Armor's probably the closest you'll get
>>
Starship troopers is a must, since it's influence is in every mech anime ever created.
>>
File: A1bCf-Xhe4L.jpg (1 MB, 1524x2379) Image search: [Google]
A1bCf-Xhe4L.jpg
1 MB, 1524x2379
>>13730361
>>
>>13733252

This book is about to become a local meme overnight, isn't it
>>
File: 1382643483779.jpg (27 KB, 640x600) Image search: [Google]
1382643483779.jpg
27 KB, 640x600
>>13733252

Ebin :^)
>>
>>13733252
Now you are just being cheeky.
>>
>>13730361
Armor is horrid shit though. There are plenty of good "replies" to Starship Troopers, and that drivel isn't one of them.
>>
>>13733445
Wrong.
>>
>>13730382
Only read the Hours Heresy books and thought they were cool.
>>
>>13733597
Excellent counterpoint
>>
>>13733660
He made no point to counter. He just said that thing is bad because he said so, and as such gets as much effort into being proven wrong as he put into proving himself correct.
>>
File: mech.jpg (675 KB, 785x1015) Image search: [Google]
mech.jpg
675 KB, 785x1015
>>13730382
Dark Ages wasn't that bad.
>>
>>13733445
Can you list some? Legit curious.
>>
File: sempermars.jpg (36 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
sempermars.jpg
36 KB, 300x400
>>13730361
I posted this in another book thread like yesterday but w/e I'm gonna keep posting it because I feel they were pretty entertaining.

There's 9 books in total, the focus is on marines in power armor. It starts slightly in the future and ends very far in the future. However if you cant stand the whole MURRICA attitude don't bother reading them because they are all about how awesome the USMC, and it's later iterations, are.

The first book is Semper Mars by Ian Douglas/William H. Keith Jr. He's also written a few Battle Tech novels, and even some Bolo stories.

You should also check out the Bolo series in general, it's got some fantastic sentient tank action.
>>
>>13733252
It's a good cover, I'll give it that.
>>
>>13734696
>New York Times bestseller
>"Enchanting...Willy Wonka meets the Matrix" - USA Today

These have to be shooped
>>
>>13734741
The Oasis is pretty similar to the Matrix, I dunno where the willy wonka comes into it, but I thought it was a pretty good book. I mean the main guy turns into Ultraman to save the day at the end. Not to mention the RX-78-2 and other robots.
>>
>>13734634
The Forever War (not its sequels though), Old Man's War (maybe its sequels if you're not too demanding on it)
>>
>>13734788
Wait I'm a fucking idiot. I was standing in the shower and my brain finally woke up from the shit retail job I work apparently. Willy Wonka is actually a perfect descriptor.
>>
File: bitchreally.png (157 KB, 716x383) Image search: [Google]
bitchreally.png
157 KB, 716x383
>>13733252
>>
>>13734741
It really is a New York times best seller. Speilberg is making a movie of it. As for the second one, the media really is that stupid.
>>
I liked Altered Carbon. No mechs, but it's basically a Deus Ex setting novel with augmented and synth people

I've been wanting to check out some WH40k, and hear that Horus Heresy is basically the best stuff to read, but there's like 30 goddamn novels. Are they all worth reading, or just the first few, or like a random selection of them?
>>
>>13733252
Cool cover at least, anyone know the artist?
>>
>>13733252
>in the future rednecks will create the first space elevator by stacking their trailers on top of each other
>>
>>13733597
He is right though, armor is babby's first sci-fi tier.
>>
>>13730361
what are some good monster vs robot /m/echa books? im not as big a fan of military mecha stuff.
>>
>>13734788
>but I thought it was a pretty good book

Do you enjoy the big bang theory too?
>>
>>13735117
i've heard nemesis is good but i couldn't stand the writing style myself
>>
>>13735126
No, the two are nothing a like besides referencing pop culture.
>>
david weber's honor harrington series (horatio hornblower in space) and safehold series.

Safehold - humanity is a multi planet FTL spacefaring race. their first contact with intelligent aliens results in nearly extinction. so to save humanity. They sneak one last colony fleet away to new planet.

While it is being terraformed. The remaining military is in a suicide battle against the Gbaba. One of the officers is named Nimue. Nimue also happens to have an android copy of her self with a copy of her mind, on the colony fleet. the ships with the cryo sleep colonists are run by some civilians that decide that the original plan isn't good enough.

So they create a fake catholic like religion. That will rule over all mankind and keep them from ever advancing out the the Medieval technology era. Because the belief is that electricity will cause the Gbaba to find the planet Safehold. the terraforming fleet finds this out and has a major problem with forced brain washing of all the colonists and the new fake religion. the original plan was just hold the colonists at pre electricity victorian technology. wait a few hundred years for the gbaba to pass by. Then use a hidden space battleship to bootstrap their technology again. So that humanity could spread out again. the terraforming fleet and the colony fleet get into battle.

the colony fleet wins and changes the religion some more to make it seem that the terraforming fleet people were literal demons and the colony fleet people were literal angels. 800 years pass and Nimue's android copy wakes up in a secret underground base full of the future tech. Where she is then given the mission by a hologram of the terraforming fleet's dead commander. Nimue is to break the world out of the grasp of the false church and get the people thinking and developing again.

Nimue changes her android to appear as a man. then becomes the bodyguard of a young prince of an island nation known for not being perfectly orthodox.
>>
>>13735198
over the series of books.

Nimue, now called Merlin, leads the Island Nation's royal family to fight a holy war against the world's church. Nimue helps them with more advanced tech they can make, and help from the Super Future Tech in secret.

the evil church is lead by a group of evil, incompetent, or coward vicars. who declare a holy war on the island nation. over some made up transgression and the Island Nation church's call for reform in the church.

battles progress from a Napoleonic army against pike using medieval armies. To ww1 army(minus machine guns and smokeless poweder) against an American Civil War army.

Nimue(Merlin)'s powerful android body is capable of superhuman feats. Uses a sword made of super advance metal that combined super super strength and speed, cuts through anything. Merlin uses nanomachines, stealthed drones, and an AI to spy on almost all the important people on the planet. Giving vital intel to the island nation.
>>
>>13735014

The first three are essential, you can pick and choose from then on. Whenever it ends, the last few are likely worth a look.
>>
>>13735141
is nemesis that colossal kaiju combat book?
>>
>>13730361

Since it's m-scifi-lit thread, one thing has always bugged me in fandom.

From time to time there will be some grad-school student who keep hammering the obvious fact that why some sci-fi is not accurate to real science , despite the fact that hard sci-fi genre exits to contain their boner to see science lectures in escapist media?

I remember having debate on some now defunct site 5 years ago where someone posted comparison between LoGH and Banners of Stars on the basis how banner of star is more tactical and scientific. When I pointed out how the maps posted actually dosen't helps and BoS does talking head thing, OP was assblasted as fuck.

Funny thing in the same blog they also posted how mecha would be most practicle thing ever if became a reality.

Major arcana was the name of the site, I guess.
>>
>>13736410
Also might add that the OP considered hard scifi is the only worthwhile thing in the genre and how Space battleship Yamato and Galaxy express 999 are laughing stock in the fandom. That fella seriously missed the point and charm of such shows.
>>
>>13736410
>how mecha would be most practicle thing ever if became a reality.

If I remember correctly, one was how it will overcome Line of sight problem in uneven terrain and other was modularity, to be able to pick and use any tool and weapon.
>>
>>13736416
>OP considered hard scifi is the only worthwhile thing in the genre
this guy sounds like a real dick.
>>
>>13730361
I've started reading Dan Simmons' Hyperion and I'm enjoying it. Though there's a lot of sci-fi terminology, once you read enough you start to understand it all. The Shrike is also /m/ and metal as fuck.
>>
>>13736598
And the solider guy has powered armor.
>>
File: huh.png (106 KB, 331x381) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
106 KB, 331x381
>>13736410
>>13736416
>>
File: shrike_3.jpg (212 KB, 778x1010) Image search: [Google]
shrike_3.jpg
212 KB, 778x1010
>>13736598
Hyperion is fucking great

The three books that follow it are not nearly as good, but decent

and yeah Shrike is /m/ and metal as fuck
>>
>>13730361
from what I've heard the Robotech novels are actually pretty decent, also worth mentioning the Mobile Suit Gundam novels
>>
File: file.png (368 KB, 440x670) Image search: [Google]
file.png
368 KB, 440x670
>>13730361
>>13730382
Warhammer? You want Warhammer mecha? READ THIS SHIT. LOOK AT THOSE HUGE FUCKS

Also, read the wiki about Titans a bit. The way they are crewed is a bit different than normal
>>
What do you guys prefer in mecha books? Involved technobabbly visions of future technologies? Gigantic asskickery? Space opera?
>>
>>13740482
Memes
>>
>>13740482
All three.
>>
>>13740482
The same I like out of my anime: down to earth mundane meets ridiculously bullshit bizarreness.

I like Roadside Picnic a lot and would enjoy something like that thrusted into a more giant robot narrative. I had an idea floating around in my head about autonomous mechs sent to scout out a Zone and how their human support/handlers interact a degree removed from a familiar yet foreign landscape where things no longer work the way normal reality is expected to work.
>>
File: vampirehunter_d.jpg (258 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vampirehunter_d.jpg
258 KB, 1280x720
Vampire Hunter D

>post-apocalyptic, technology filled world
>power armors
>mechanical horses
>space ships
>laser weapons
>augmentations
>>
>>13730444
I've yet to read a Bolo book I didn't like. I came for the sentient tanks and stayed for the feels.
>>
>>13740421
I remember my friend loaning me a book that was about the titans and mars, something about one of the pilots not wanting to be stuck in a tube directly interfacing with his mech. Then he ends up doing it anyways and fucking loves it.
>>
How is Stephen Baxter's Proxima? Saw it at Barnes and Noble and it sounded interesting.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.