[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All I can think of while I play this is how much I'd rather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12
File: macross 30.jpg (165 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
macross 30.jpg
165 KB, 1920x1080
All I can think of while I play this is how much I'd rather be playing Triangle Frontier...

What the fuck, you guys recommended this. What gives? Battroid is useless, Gerwalk is pretty much the only useful combay form, and fighter mode is just for carting my ass around. Cutting thrusters is no longer a viable tactic, which was my favorite thing to do in the PSP games, and the boost mechanic is atrocious, even after tuning/upgrading to a new valk (unforgivable in a macross game.) the only thing I can give it is aiming the Gunpod can be a mildly fun mechanic sometimes Does it get better?
>>
shitpost about delta instead.
>>
>>13729214
>you guys recommended this

See that's the problem.
You should always take /m/ recommendation with a grain of salt.
>>
The only good thing about 30 is the game play not the story.
>>
>>13729214
/m/ having shit taste is a known fact anon
>>
/m/ only jizzes about this game because of MUH MELTRAN WAIFU
>>
File: Io vs Deltafags.jpg (58 KB, 1280x717) Image search: [Google]
Io vs Deltafags.jpg
58 KB, 1280x717
>>13729225
I'm hard at work on that already. I still wanted to play a good game...
>>
>>13729214
>Battroid is useless, Gerwalk is pretty much the only useful combay form
How far in are you? Because it sounds like you're still only a few hours into the game because halfway battroid becomes more useful and gerwalk useless.
>>
>>13729403
I'm about ten or so hours in. At what point does it start getting better? Battroid used to have a slow descent in gravity levels, but now it just feels like free fall.

Either way
>>
>>13729408
If you're 10 hours in and you're asking "when does it get better?" then the answer is it doesn't. You don't like the game so you might as well drop it now.
>>
>>13729408
>Either way
Either way, even the gameplay in playthrough videos with the YF-29 look slow as fuck.
>>
>>13729214
Honestly, I liked it. At the end of the day, I wish it were more like Ace/Ultimate/Triangle Frontier, but
I enjoyed it for what it was: a purely fanservice game with a brand new valkyrie, an original story, all of my favorite characters, a good amount of other stuff to pilot, voice acting and "animation" for a super niche audience even though they knew it wasn't going to sell like hotcakes. That earned a lot of good will from me particularly. (I think it only sold 150k globally, which is just barely above things with way more publicity like say Call of Juarez)

Personally, I'd like to see another game in Macross 30's style with an updated valk roster, a higher flight ceiling, larger dungeons with more open space, a faster overall base game speed and some fucking space levels jesus christ. Basically more like the Frontier games with the open world and exploration of 30, only the open world is always different for the campaign of its respective series.

We'll see, I guess. Artdink made Ace Frontier years after Frontier was actually over. Until Delta airs its too early to tell what kind of game we'll get out of it. Though maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up since Artdink is busy sucking Sword Art Online cock this year with Hollow Realization and maybe even a third game. SAO probably makes way more bank than the Macross games do, sadly.

>>13729419
The game doesn't get that much faster until you can break the limiters on your valks' stats. But by that point you're either playing the game over again and raping face or playing on Super Dimension Difficulty and getting raped in the face. Neither are super fun.
>>
Shifting to talk about another game.

Does Macross VOXP run on Win 8.1 and if so where should I look for the latest version. I lost my old copy years ago.
>>
>>13729214
>Battroid is useless
Battroid is always useless in every game because it's also useless in the series
>>
>>13729595
>Personally, I'd like to see another game in Macross 30's style with an updated valk roster, a higher flight ceiling, larger dungeons with more open space, a faster overall base game speed and some fucking space levels jesus christ.

Nailed it right in the fucking head for what my problems were in the game, especially the space missions.
>>
>>13731569
>it's also useless in the series
it's used for meele combat and precise shooting
>>
>>13731774
>melee combat on a plane that shoots missles stronger than nukes
>>
>>13731569
>Battroid is useless
Sounds like bad game design to me.
>>
>>13732254
Nah, it's just natural.

Why would you want to use battroid outside of situations where you want to do precision shooting/melee or in enclosed spaces?

The 3 modes are pretty much balancing speed/agility and air/ground combat.

Fighter has the speed but is limited by the fact that it can't turn on a dime unless the legs swing down for a
Gerwalk-esque maneuver. It can't do low altitude fights unless the pilot knows his shit well enough to not crash

Gerwalk is the in-between that does decently in speed and agility and at all altitudes

Battroid has lower speed, but is agile as fuck, can turn on a dime and dominate in ground and melee combat

It's all about picking the right mode for the right situation, gerwalk and fighter just works for a lot of situations.
>>
>>13731976
>I didn't watch any of the shows
>>13732468
>>13732254
I think the games make Gerwalk too good. In the shows Battroid mode is used as often as possible and Gerwalk only in limited situations. Gerwalk is just hover mode, mostly nothing more.
>>
>>13732535
The main benefit of Gerwalk in the games is that you move slightly faster going forward, can hover, AND your gun is more accurate than it is in Fighter. For me, that last one has always been the biggest thing.
>>
>>13732535
Yeah, I mostly used Gerwalk for combat in M30, because it's nigh impossible to hit things with the gunpod while you're in Fighter mode. Until you get better units with higher accuracy ratings, anyway.
>>
would you reccomend this to somebody who has never seen macross past a SRW game but likes ace combat?
>>
>>13732581
I dunno. A lot of people seem to dislike the gameplay in M30, but personally, I had to delete the install data for the game so I would quit going back to it when I should be working on other things. I thought it was really fun.

Also, I've never played Ace Combat, so I don't know if they're similar at all, outside of both having fighter jets.
>>
>>13732581
I would but only so you could play this think it's alright and love the other macross games
>>
>>13732581
Macross games play nothing like Ace Combat.
>>
I nearly bought this too, should I reconsider?
I heard some really bad thing about the music being absent in the game too, and what I loved the most in the PSP games was the OST during the action.

>>13732743
Well the PSP games had a "pro" mode and as long you used the flight mode it kinda was AC?
Or is that not in 30? Fuck that then.
>>
>>13729263
She's not even a meltran. She's got round ears.
>>
>>13732581
Well, Macross Triangle Frontier and Ultimate Frontier had an option for "realistic flight combat" which was more or less AC's flight controls.
>>
>>13733082
She's confirmed to be zentradi, she even says it herself.
>>
File: 1452151107368-1.jpg (215 KB, 932x1081) Image search: [Google]
1452151107368-1.jpg
215 KB, 932x1081
>>13731569
>Battroid is always useless in every game
>Gerwalk casuals actually believe this.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>13733197
She sure as hell doesn't act like one.
>>
>>13732535
>I didn't watch any of the shows
no you fucking retard my point is that battroid is useless tatically and the only reason why its there is because its fucking cool
>>
File: RIMG3252.jpg (105 KB, 1000x692) Image search: [Google]
RIMG3252.jpg
105 KB, 1000x692
>>13733073
>Well the PSP games had a "pro" mode and as long you used the flight mode it kinda was AC?
>Or is that not in 30? Fuck that then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy1unfvR2fI
It's still in 30. And I prefer it over normal flight since you can pull off much tighter turns.
>>
>>13733480
>the only reason why its there is because its fucking cool
no shit
>>
File: 1144.jpg (314 KB, 800x478) Image search: [Google]
1144.jpg
314 KB, 800x478
>>13733480
Fighter mode is only useful if you're at a distance, or for opponents directly in front of you. Gerwalk is useful if you are perpendicular to your target and need to strafe, since decelerating takes a second. Battroid is amazing for fast, precision movement and close combat, so if you want to close in, gerwalk lets you do so without using as much boost, which lets you utilize your thrust far more efficiently when in close. It's also better at higher altitudes, since it lets you descend upon your enemy raining down bullets and missiles like a madcunt.

Using each effectively and switching between them appropriately lets you dominate in every situation.
>>
>>13733491
I have never played the psp titles but I bought 30 on release and I never really knew about pro mode flying in flight mode, that shit looks dope, I beat the game with all sidequests done and everything, if anything is left to be done its to beat ultimate mode and pick the other 2 endings but I cant be bothered playing the game anymore unless I knew jap.
Game was fun and great, but as I said never played original series but those looked clunky as fuck, battroid mode did seem pretty fucking useless in general apart from having a different special move in some cases, if people are complaining about not going fast they could just use the speed up special and hell one VF or pilot who is the rival of MC had a special which literally made you glow blue and go 3x faster at such a fucking fast speed you could barely control yourself.
>>
>>13733491
Thanks, that looks really fun but the total absence of music is a huge bummer.
>>
File: G4cyTMU.png (635 KB, 794x517) Image search: [Google]
G4cyTMU.png
635 KB, 794x517
>>13734080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg5-Yw9F2h0
That's just the music for that particular overworld map. Different songs play when you do bosses and events.
>>
>>13734147
Jesus christ the YF-29 is the best fucking design ever.
Why couldn't that have been the basis of the VF-31 instead. At least have the wings from the YF-29.
>>
The only actually GOOD Macross game is the PS2 one from 2001, which unfortunately is limited to SDF and DYRL.
Controls in every form are the best because it was actually thought for a DS and not a PSP.

The PSP games are decent but nothing good really, and Macross 30 is a fucking travesty that looks worse than the PS2 game on PCSX2 and plays worse than the PSP games.
>>
File: 31-a.png (3 MB, 1455x1277) Image search: [Google]
31-a.png
3 MB, 1455x1277
>>13734673
That's an unusual opinion. Most /m/ posters seem to hate the engine pods on the 29.
>>13734719
The PS2 Macross game wasn't that good. It was too easy, the gunpod is worthless in fighter mode, and gerwalk is garbage. 30 plays better than the PSP games just for having manual aiming with the gunpod and having better accuracy in fighter mode.
>>
>>13734809
I love the engine pods on the wings because they can rotate to provide thrust in almost any direction.
>>
>>13734809
Not that guy, but I really like Ozma and Isamu's YF-29s. It's Alto's that I hate; the paintjob ruins it.
>>
>>13734856
The tiger stripes looked off.
>>
>>13734865
Shark gills?
>>
File: YF-29.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
YF-29.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>13733480
Alto seems fond of it.

It also has the benefits of energy converting armor at maximum durability, making it both ideal for precision mid-air movement and taking punishment if absolutely necessary.
>>
>>13735125
The YF-29 has the advantage of being able to maintain thrust in any direction despite being in Battroid mode.
>>
>>13733480
>battroid is useless tactically
It can punch and kick things. It also can stab. Tactically.
>because it's fucking cool
Damn right!
>>
File: Alto flips.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Alto flips.webm
2 MB, 640x480
I don't know how you anons found battroid useless in Macross 30. It could turn and aim much better than gerwalk could. Whenever I transformed to gerwalk I was a sitting duck, battroid could evade attacks much more easily. Honestly the only time I ever used gerwalk was for fighting those bandit ships since you could just circle strafe them easily. I was in fighter mode 70% of the game anyway.
>>
File: VF-25F4.webm (2 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
VF-25F4.webm
2 MB, 640x480
>>13736412
why does that wrecked ship's surface have gravitational pull?

Or alternatively, how is Alto pulling off those acrobatics without thrusters in a zero g environment?
>>
>>13736476
>why does that wrecked ship's surface have gravitational pull?
Gravity generators that are still working?

>how is Alto pulling off those acrobatics without thrusters in a zero g environment?
Thrust vectoring.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.