[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Decent plot >decent character development >great mecha
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17
>Decent plot
>decent character development
>great mecha designs
>not a whiny bitch ass MC
>somehow the show became the flop of 2015

This is how it feels to like a show that flopped? It feels ... awful
>>
At least your show doesn't have people shouting LOLTRAINWRECK whenever it comes up for discussion.
>>
>>13687850
It flopped it because it was mediocre
>>
>>13687865
it does, but only in mechanaughts/MAHQ forums
>>
>>13687850
I'd rather have a niche show that only me and a few others enjoy and can discuss civily rather than an extremely controversial one which just causes shit posting.
That being said 2014-15 had a lot of mecha shows like this M3,Cross Ange,etc
I like Argevollen though, it was war played straight and the only ones who won were the weapons manufacturers
>>
>>13687875
>fun mechs
>obviously good writers
>a few really outstanding scenes and episodes in terms of pacing and facial expressions
>nice mechs
>Seeker being best boy

...and they wasted it on scenes of people walking from place A to B.

Arge is vape
Gunbass is vape.
Seiran hand happy penisgun robot didn't even get entries on the homepage.

Pls grant me the sweet release of death.
>>
File: nife fight.webm (2 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
nife fight.webm
2 MB, 960x540
>>13687850
because of nife
>>
Argevollen was just decent and that was the problem.
>>
>>13687850
This was the closest we ever got to a Front Mission anime, right down to it being a localized conflict rather than a world-spanning menace.

It's a shame the story wasn't a bit more engaging, like the politics and individuals within the factions, the way they were in the Front Mission series.
>>
>>13688120
>fun mechs
No, the designs were boring and the Argevollen contrasted -too- much.

>obviously good writers
Good writers that didn't knew what to do with an entire set of characters so they just decided to throw them around from place to place until the plot finally kicked in? Yeah, they're obviously bad writers. They had a good setting and political scenarios but they did jack-shit with them.

>a few really outstanding scenes and episodes in terms of pacing and facial expressions
I don't know where you're getting those "outstanding scenes" since everything before ep 15 was dull and boring, and even after that the plot wasn't anything spectacular.
Also, pacing? It was awful, everything that happened in the anime could've been done in 13 episodes.

>nice mechs
Again, completely boring designs.

>Seeker being best boy
Compared to the rest of the cast which was either boring or annoying? Yeah I agree. Him, the commander and the sub-commander where the only good ones, the rest were shit.

Also you know it was mediocre when right from the start they had to pander to otakus with the "moe" mechanics
>>
>>13687850
>great mecha designs
Bait? I've only seen the first episode, MC's robot looked like a №24456 generic anime robot.
>>
>>13688189
no you will take you cute mechanics doing cute things and your half assed romance and enjoy it
>>
>>13688189
Front Mission game's politics haven't improved much ever since they had to be compact enough to fit into a SNES cartridge.

>>13688179
BEHEAD ALL WHO INSULT NIFE
>>
>>13687850
Fucking weak puss .. like whatever the fuck you want you cunt
>>
>>13687850
>moeshit
Eh.
>>
>>13688208
>I don't know where you're getting those "outstanding scenes"
Episode four and five come to mind. The flashback episode stood out as well. The writers clearly were competent.

>Compared to the rest of the cast which was either boring or annoying? Yeah I agree. Him, the commander and the sub-commander where the only good ones, the rest were shit.
The maintainance crew was good and the interactions during that soldier's homecoming episode were well done as well. Even the enemy general's bitching was good, shame that their subplot wasn't developed at all.
>>
I didn't hate it I guess, but it felt like it kinda went nowhere.
>>
>>13688263
>The maintainance crew was good
So you got succesfully pandered I see
>>
>>13688213
>no you will take you cute mechanics doing cute things and your half assed romance and enjoy it
But I liked cute mechanics doing cute things and the half-assed romance. That's almost par for FM.

The problem was that there wasn't enough political BS like a typical Front Mission.

I mean, they could have straight-up ripped elements of FM3-5 and ran with it all the way (minus the world traveling parts).

They already had:
- One Protagonist Team
- One Antagonist Team
- Corporate Manipulation of the war
- Special illegal/questionable pilot-enhancing system
- Special high-performance test unit
>>
File: Wagner FM4 IZO.jpg (70 KB, 1000x740) Image search: [Google]
Wagner FM4 IZO.jpg
70 KB, 1000x740
>>13688337
more political bs would have been nice
>>
To the end the only character worth remembering was Samonji, and I still don't understand what the fuck was his problem
>>
>>13687850
>great mecha design
The grunts were okay but the main mech just looks so out of place.
>>
>>13688390
The whole thing had the perfect setup for some decent political BS.

After all, the fight was ultimately between two rather tiny nations on some large peninsula, isolated from the rest of the continent by a large mountain range (and both smaller nations separated by a smaller mountain range).
>>
It was a pretty good show and all of /m/ should watch it.
>>
>>13688502
>the entire continent put their research points in mecha, there is no such thing as planes or ships

pretty sky tho
>>
I loved Arge.
>>
>>13688530
Was there every any in-universe reason for that?

Like were the waters too corrosive or the sky too radiated to fly?
>>
>>13688527
You are delusional to the point that it's hilarious
>>
>>13688811
Fuck off 180223, we know its you
>>
>>13688804
Something Something happened to the sky long ago I think, which is why the sky is weird. Never got a proper explanation. Most of the combat
>>
>>13688820
It's the
>all of /m/ should watch it
part that's hilarious
>>
What did Argevollen do wrong that Fafner did right?
>>
There were a couple of things that bugged me when I was trying to get through Argevollen. In general, I liked the mecha design of the show, but the titular mech just contrasted so much in design, it was offputting, Not to mention it was ugly. The show heavily featured combined arms, but at least in the material I watched, it was like helicopters and air planes didn't exist. They obviously had the technology for it, so where was the flying shit? Beyond those things, the CGI was overall shitty.
>>
>>13688842
>it was like helicopters and air planes didn't exist. They obviously had the technology for it, so where was the flying shit?
Did you ever look up and notice that the sky is purple? There's some shit going on in the atmosphere that doesn't allow for it.
>>
>>13688872
Why would a purple sky cause them not to be able to have things that fly?
>>
>>13688837
It was too slow. Even the original Fafner picked up the pace and had a series of climactic conclusions. Everything in Argevollen was very half-baked.
>>
File: wp_dvd08-09.jpg (316 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
wp_dvd08-09.jpg
316 KB, 1024x768
>>13687850

I know that feel well.

>>13687876

That sound really bad. Is it as bad as it sounds?
>>
>>13687865
It does to a degree.
>he said argevollen/m3 is good
>I love this meme
>>
>>13687875
>>13688208
>>the "it was mediocre" dude.

Here we go again.

>I don't know where you're getting those "outstanding scenes"..
>Again, completely boring designs.

If you didn't like any of the scenes, battles or the FM-like designs then clearly this wasn't for you. From Arge to the humble Kongous, from the clumsy fist/kick fights from the beginning and to the high-speed battles of the end part Argevollen had it all for me.

>Also, pacing? It was awful

I was glued to the monitor each episode and while in retrospect I can see from where you come from I seriously doubt that you can compress this all in 13 Episodes without losing much in translation: It was as, if Argevollen had something like a source material (LN, VN, hCG set, etc), this would have been a near perfect translation from that to the Anime format. Argevollen was like reading a mecha war light novel and it was great for that which clearly, again, isn't your cup of tea.

>hey had a good setting and political scenarios but they did jack-shit with them.

Here is were you actually hit a good and interesting point of discussion as, in one hand, yeah, they didn't -that- much as they could but, on the other hand, and given the way this ended, it really looked as if they planned a second season from the very beginning. Has this been a self-contained season with small hints to a possible continuation then they indeed missed the ball with the setting as they could have done a little more.

>No, the designs were boring and the Argevollen contrasted -too- much.

That was the point, the experiment they were going for. I liked the idea (and particularly liked Arge as well) as it clearly has much more potential for more series but the response I have seen is so mixed that I seriously doubt this will ever be tried again in the near future.

This last part is the real tragedy of Argeollen. It flopped so hard that it will take a long, long time for something like it to be tried again. And that's really sad.
>>
File: TheTruth_is_UpThere---.jpg (144 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TheTruth_is_UpThere---.jpg
144 KB, 1280x720
>>13688918

The entire "Why no Air Game?" explanation was hinted at a few times but never addressed directly. Another of the probable things that they left for the future. That or they simply wanted a ground war through and throughout.
>>
>>13689184
>That sound really bad. Is it as bad as it sounds?
Yes, basically they all repeat the same

"its boring, bad pacing" No one really has any real argument why its bad in those places. Argevollen is not perfect it has tons of flaws but those flaws are over shadowed by how well composed the series is.
>>
>>13689295

It may have been the point, but they failed miserably at getting that point across with the designs. What they seemed to want to go for was that it seemed like a huge leap in technology. Instead Arge looked completely out of place, like it belonged in a different series entirely.
>>
>>13689295
Argevollen not doing well won't really hinder or help people trying the same concept in the future. If Argevollen was a high budget, big name anime with lots of hype behind it, and THEN it bombed, that could be cause for fearing the concept might not be tried again. But in this case, Argevollen isn't well known and under the radar for a lot of people, so its failure wouldn't really affect common perception of the idea behind it.
>>
>>13688918
There is a off-hand comment about a "axis-inversion" or something, but they never explain more. I believe is something they left for the sequel... that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.
>>
File: 1428497603910.png (165 KB, 493x427) Image search: [Google]
1428497603910.png
165 KB, 493x427
>>13689316
>Argevollen is not perfect it has tons of flaws but those flaws are over shadowed by how well composed the series is.
I can't tell which is worse? Needlessly complaining about a series without explaining why are needlessly praising a series without explaining why.
>>
I actually just started watching this tonight on a whim.

Only on episode 3 but it's okay so far.
>>
>>13689329
The real question is did it get a pachinko machine?
>>
>>13689545
It gets better, then worse, then better again, and the ending is kind of a let down in some ways and really neat in others.

I stuck out the ride while it was airing and don't regret it.

Seeker best boy, the greatest tragedy is the lack of raptormech combat.
>>
File: CR1.jpg (472 KB, 700x593) Image search: [Google]
CR1.jpg
472 KB, 700x593
>>13689326

This point is always a divisive one and I really can't add much to it as the whole "Fish out of the water" theme Arge itself had was really appealing idea to me -and- I really liked the design in itself.

>>13689329

Its still a negative precedent against any arguments to make a series like this. Be it a new franchise or a new take on a known one.

>>13689697

Reideen got one.
>>
>>13687850
It just felt kind of like a slog for me, even by /m/ standards. I don't know.
>>
File: Fog&Dusk.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Fog&Dusk.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
>>13689358
>>needlessly praising a series without explaining why.

What could possibly be an pro-Argevollen argument be in this case?

Personally I liked the mecha designs, the action sequences, the both OP/ED, the backgrounds, the risks they dared to take like the often mentioned "Argevollen looks so different" or the variable pace they took with the story.

Sure, the CG may gave not been the best (no battle damage) and they could have indeed speed things up a bit but in the end Argevollen as a whole really outshines it's shortcomings.

>>13689545
>>Only on episode 3 but it's okay so far.

If you are okay at this point chances are you are going to like it far more from this point and on. Most seem to like it from Episode 04 while others from 07 and almost everyone says that Episodes 01-03 are the low point of the series and that this Anime is a good counter-example of the 3-Episode rule.
>>
File: argevollen yellow seirens.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
argevollen yellow seirens.jpg
318 KB, 1920x1080
>>13690100
it gets better once the seirens show up
>>
>>13688398
He was suicidical, basically. Dude had been looking for a way to get a militarily assisted suicide that would nötig endanger his unit for a long Time.
>>
>>13687850
Is a sad feel
>>
>>13688398
Eternally depressed ever since his one true love died.

Not even having a faithful, loyal, and willing sub-commander could make him stop pining away.

As to the Arge, it kind of reminds me of Glen's Zenith or the Hoshun; a highly experimental one-off that's later used as a basis for some slightly dumbed down but new and mass-produced units.
>>
File: 1446772039108.jpg (56 KB, 600x422) Image search: [Google]
1446772039108.jpg
56 KB, 600x422
>>13687850
>the flop of 2015 (you mean 2014)
Oh don't worry, there's another good mecha show in 2014 that did even worse.
>>
>>13694773
M3, ZA FOORU and Arge are like the niche trinity of the last 3 years.
>>
File: GATOOOOOO.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GATOOOOOO.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>13694780
>>ZA FOORU

wait what
>>
>>13694780

I could not get into ZA FOOL for some reason. Think I dropped it around episode 11 or so. Like stuff was happening but I couldn't find myself caring about any of the characters. Maybe I'll give it another shot sometime.
>>
Great show, but it suffered from a serious case of no budget.
>>
>>13694900
Nobunagan the fool. Don't bother, it was pretty boring.

>>13694915
Episode 3 for me. I just can't get into it.
>>
File: Armor&Sword.jpg (137 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
Armor&Sword.jpg
137 KB, 1440x810
>>13694915
>>ZA FOOL

I get it now. I watched it all and it indeed felt 'off' for some reason. It had nice mecha (and Jeanne) so not a complete waste of time.
>>
>>13695006
Caesar carries the whole show.
>>
File: BlushOFF.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BlushOFF.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
>>13695009

Jeanne was also nice to look at.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.