[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just marathoned this and I have no fucking idea what the fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: Big_o.jpg (47 KB, 260x379) Image search: [Google]
Big_o.jpg
47 KB, 260x379
I just marathoned this and I have no fucking idea what the fuck was going on. Could someone explain this shit?
>>
This guy who's a negotiator and not a detective but does detective things anyway that usually just involve him randomly walking around until the entire mystery just falls into his lap and the bad guys summon a giant robot gets into his giant robot to fight the bag guys' giant robots.

IT'S SHOWTIME.
>>
>>13686334
The show must go on
>>
>>13686347
Yeah but was everyone artificially made just like the tomatoes or what? And why was the city on huge stage? What the fuck were memories and why that gril had them? Why 20 years olds had no memories if memories were lost 40 years ago?
>>
Everything in Paradigm city is some computer simulation. The pretty girl somehow decides when to reset it and Roger is supposed to negotiate the time, date and restaurant. Something something Big O blah blah.

The reality is, the creators didn't really make a backstory for Big O initially. It was supposed to go on without revelation of wtf happened 40 years ago, all mysterious and such. Then Cartoon Network funded season 2. One of their conditions was to resolve the backstory and provide an ending.
>>
THE LEAD ACTOR NEGOTIATES WITH THE PRODUCER TO LET THE SHOW GO ON
>>
>>13686334
>Could someone explain this shit?
Nope, sure can't.
>>
All you need to know is Shwarzwald is best /m/ antagonist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVc_K8Syy2Q
>>
>>13686416
>One of their conditions was to ruin everything and create a shitty ending
Fixed.
>>
>>13686366
Nobody had memories of 40 years ago. Everyone except for Angel, Gordon and Roger was a tomato artificially made. The people of Paradigm City were supposed to be successes while everyone who lived outside the city like the Union were failures.

The memories of 40 years ago that people were looking for was technology and information of the past like robots, or Megadei.
>>
>>13686645
Alex Rosewater was the best antagonist. He somehow makes being the mayor's son sound more epic than it really is.
>>
Why do Roger's eyebrows look like two halves of a Jet Scrander?
>>
>>13690647
tiny Go sideburns are fine eyebrows
>>
>>13686347
>This guy who's a negotiator and not a detective but does detective things anyway that usually just involve him randomly walking around until the entire mystery just falls into his lap
No wonder people tell me it's like Phoenix Wright.
>>
>>13686416
This.

The second season's way of resolving the "mystery" was to take it literally. The mystery didn't matter. It was just garnishing for the setting--a framework for the self-contained stories. What exactly Big O is and why Roger can pilot it doesn't matter. What matters is that he can. The second season explains this by turning it into a big metaphor for a director and a fictional world.

I still enjoyed the second season, but I definitely prefer the first by far.
>>
>>13686334
Dorothy is best girl and Angel kept losing to her no matter how many times she pushed the reset button.
>>
A director renegotiating a renewal of the show after a greedy producer tries to completely change the show
>>
>>13686334
Phoenix Wright left his work as a lawyer a pilot now a giant robot
>>
>>13686334

The story of a man...dealing with Eternal Colitis.
>>
File: kyouko tomato.png (322 KB, 700x583) Image search: [Google]
kyouko tomato.png
322 KB, 700x583
We're tomatoes
>>
>>13692319
It's always kind of a shame when stories feel like they have to explain themselves; it almost always end up feeling like an asspull when just leaving it open to speculation would be just fine.
>>
>>13697708

It's because Westerners have a need for things to be explained.
>>
https://youtu.be/51efiPMmg5Q
This interview with Kazuyoshi Katayama (Big O creator) is relevant to the thread.
>>
File: BigOPlot.jpg (1 MB, 1329x2528) Image search: [Google]
BigOPlot.jpg
1 MB, 1329x2528
>>13686334
>>
File: never intended an ending.jpg (1 MB, 1284x2896) Image search: [Google]
never intended an ending.jpg
1 MB, 1284x2896
>>13697708
>>
>>13686416
they wrote the second season assuming they'd be renewed for a 3rd

iirc CN cancelled their side of the funding for Season 3 because of pressure from Williams Street and other american studios that they were spending too much money on foreign shows.
>>
So what, should I only watch the first season or something since an ending was never intended?
>>
>>13697792
No, watch the whole thing. No reason not to.
Why're you in here spoiling yourself? Get to it.
>>
File: the point.jpg (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
the point.jpg
13 KB, 400x400
>>13697808
I'm an idiot and I don't have an eye for subtlety, so if the ending needed to be interpreted it'd probably go way over my head and pic related would be me. Which is why I figured, "what's the harm?"
>>
>>13697792
The 2nd season is still good robo action. Just don't think too much about the ending or the shift in tone.

>>13697766
I think the manga is better at showing this idea. The manga version of Roger Smith keeps emphasizing about how the future is more important than the past which everyone was super-obsessed about. The ending is even more open than season 1's.
>>
>>13697824
You make a discussion thread after you've been bamboozled, not preemptively. Sheesh.
>>
>>13697833
>>13697840
Alright. I'll get to it then. Thanks.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.