[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Actual plot of the movie aside, I think that the fighter portions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 41
File: TFA X-Wings.jpg (96 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TFA X-Wings.jpg
96 KB, 1920x1080
Actual plot of the movie aside, I think that the fighter portions of the movie was the one thing that they really nailed.

I actually got hyped when you saw the waves of water in the background from the X-Wings coming in. The dogfighting was pretty glorious and more dynamic than the previous movies. The Starkiller Base invasion was also pretty good and that pseudo-Death Star run was awesome. I actually liked all the details they put in like the communication they had.

I'm kind of sad though that there wasn't much fighter diversity though. X-Wings were great and all but I really wanted to see the Y-Wings, A-Wings, and B-Wings again. You would think that Y-Wings which were made for bombing would have been brought along for that mission.
>>
>>13673967
>I think that the fighter portions of the movie was the one thing that they really nailed.

I thought they were alright at best. The pacing, as with the rest of the movie, were too fast and the cuts were too quick. It just reminded me of the prequel space battles but with better CGI.
>>
>>13673967
I actually thought the fighter parts were some of the least Star Wars parts of the movie. While they were visually impressive, they lack the gravitas and weight of the fighter battles from the Original Trilogy.
>>
>>13673967
If not for the fighter parts (the sheer amount of them) I'd rate this movie below episodes 1 and 3.
>>
>>13674463
You've got serious issues
>>
>>13673967

B-Wings were made to supplant Y-Wings as mainline bombers if I recall, so if they were going to bring anything, they'd have been better off bringing B-Wings, not Y-Wings.

That said, while I don't mind the idea the Rebels kept the X-Wings or some variant as their main fighters, I would have liked to see some new fighters in action as well on both sides instead of some Y-Wings, B-Wings or what have you.
>>
File: RebelsS02E07-3.jpg (510 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
RebelsS02E07-3.jpg
510 KB, 1920x1080
Saying "the Republic navy won't help us" makes a lot less sense than "the Republic navy won't get here on time". I really hope they don't try to say that taking out five planets completely knocked the Republic out of the game entirely.

JJ has a problem conveying scale and stakes. It's nice that he wants to focus on characters, but you need to make it clear what'll happen if the characters fail.

>>13674656
The B-Wing is officially a heavy gunship with a wacky laser cutter now.
>>
>>13674685
It also seems to have grown an extra cockpit.
>>
>>13674685

That was only a prototype though. A prototype that we know had power issues and that was also required a gunner to get the most out of - so it's possible, if not likely the normal one still is more of a bomber with a single pilot after refining the issues.
>>
File: 1450763273982.jpg (907 KB, 2560x1700) Image search: [Google]
1450763273982.jpg
907 KB, 2560x1700
>>13674685
well see, the Resistance is an 'illegal' operation in the eyes of the Republic. They won't help because they believe the First Order to be a nonissue of imperial leftovers clinging to life in the Unknown Region, while Leia and the others in the Resistance take the correct stance that there's something bad out there.
>>
File: F16-01[1].jpg (48 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
F16-01[1].jpg
48 KB, 800x533
Man those X-Wings would have really shitty visibility, pilots can barely see where they're going.
>>
File: 1450763206578.jpg (994 KB, 2560x1691) Image search: [Google]
1450763206578.jpg
994 KB, 2560x1691
>>13674696
Also the plot was fine, esp. after rewatching the OT. The only thing I had issue with was the chain of coincidences that brought han and chewie to the millenium falcon. I know that SW is rife with this shit because lel the force XD, but i mean man alive what the fuck.
Other than that, literally just pacing issues. It's a good movie, folks.
>>
File: Han-Solo-Old.jpg (55 KB, 649x488) Image search: [Google]
Han-Solo-Old.jpg
55 KB, 649x488
>>13674709
>not being ace enough to deal

f16 bubbleboy detected
>>
>>13674696
That stance makes sense up until a half dozen planets get BTFO at once.

Also, when do we find out how the Starkiller is able to take out all those planets at one blow from wherever? Can it go faster than normal ships 'because it's pure energy' or something? Or is it just classic JJ ignoring established distance and speed? Because it doesn't make sense for the First Order to be isolated and far off, but also able to reach out and touch the capital of the Republic at the same time.

Do they explain any of this shit in the novel?
>>
>>13674709
Not every fighter has a bubble canopy.
>>
>>13674711
>the chain of coincidences that brought han and chewie to the millenium falcon

All they had to say was "we recognized its hyperdrive signature and came a-runnin', we've been looking for it for 15 years" and I'd be fine. It's concise, it makes sense for the character, and it helps demonstrate what he's been up to.

Whatever.
>>
File: bf-109-3[1].jpg (100 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bf-109-3[1].jpg
100 KB, 1024x768
>>13674719
Most of them don't have the panel at or above eye level, at least for the pilot
>>
File: 1450763357035.jpg (895 KB, 2560x1691) Image search: [Google]
1450763357035.jpg
895 KB, 2560x1691
>>13674718
>is it just classic JJ
yes
however
>Starkiller Base is the culmination of the Galactic Empire's research into dark energy translations and hyperspace tunnelling. Enormous arrays of specially designed collectors use the power of a sun to attract and send dark energy to a containment unit at the core of the planet, where it is held and built up inside that containment unit until the weapon is ready to fire. Its ability to concentrate dark energy in this manner gave Starkiller Base access to an enormous source of energy.

so basically it uses 'hyperspace tunneling to both gather the energy from whatever star its parked around and to strike targets.
>>
File: Bajoran_wormhole.jpg (40 KB, 600x459) Image search: [Google]
Bajoran_wormhole.jpg
40 KB, 600x459
>>13674742

Well that could have been a cool visual, to see Starkiller rip open a tear in hyperspace and then fire a laser straight into it. Or like five tears and the planets on the other side. That would make a lot more sense than the panorama shot of planets getting exploded that we got.
>>
>>13674709
This has bothered me since the OT, actually. They should've bubbled the T70 canopies.

Meanwhile the RZ1 gets a pretty good canopy but the wide frame of the design kinda obstructs some visibility.
>>
>>13674754
that was actually the original concept, believe it or not.
It would create a destructive mass of energy that would pop into hyperspace and then pop out into the target. I guess they decided it wasn't as visually effective?
>>
File: viper_comparison1.jpg (57 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
viper_comparison1.jpg
57 KB, 600x600
>>13674778
>nuViper sympathizer detected
>>
>>13674711
>>13674734
I'm pretty sure Han says they were tracking the Falcon. The reason they went to Maz's was to get a clean ship to travel with BB-8 on.

He says "you think it was luck that we happened to run into you and the Falcon? If we were able to track it on our sensors, the FO can too" or something like that.
>>
>>13674754
The beams have a more ominous yet majestic quality to them, much like watching a planetkiller asteroid collide with something. It's just a sort of beautiful horror. Very romantic, very tragic.

Scores very well with orchestral music too.
>>
File: 1414537937600.jpg (54 KB, 399x599) Image search: [Google]
1414537937600.jpg
54 KB, 399x599
>>13674788
True. And in star wars the Rule of Cool takes massive priority so
>>
>>13673967
I liked the Tie parts near the beginning of the movie, but I found the X-Wing ones lame and unnecessary.
>>
It was fun seeing the Falcon's targeting computer for the gunner station again. Also I just liked how dirty and wornout everything that wasn't imperial looked.
>>
File: melancholia-planet.jpg (120 KB, 723x330) Image search: [Google]
melancholia-planet.jpg
120 KB, 723x330
>>13674788
I don't know, the little vignette of that woman on MaybeCoruscant would have been equally effective if she'd looked up and see a hole in space rip open and seen the Starkiller on the other side, firing port glowing and ready to fire, just before they get wiped out.

I think people understand that objects in space tend to be very far apart, and it takes time to get from one place to another. It fits better in Star Wars than it does in Trek, though. The Transwarp Suitcase that Khan had is fucking retarded.
>>
Poe's rampage disappointed me, it was mostly just a single long pursuit curve that magically placed him directly behind multiple TIEs, with a single barrel roll to shake things up. He was maneuvering like a WW2 atmospheric fighter, not a space fighter that flies more on massive thrust and repulsorlifts than on aerodynamics.

I'd hoped to see some more varied and complex air combat maneuvering, and maybe to see him shaking off pursuing TIEs or going head to head, or even evading pursuing missiles, instead of just mysteriously ending up behind a whole bunch of TIEs.
>>
>>13674685
>I really hope they don't try to say that taking out five planets completely knocked the Republic out of the game entirely.
Well, they'd be in chaos for a while since they basically knocked out the Republic's entire political leadership without enough warning for any of them to get away, and also apparently the whole New Republic Navy too since the canon NR Defense Fleet is a pitiful shadow of the EU's New Republic Navy thanks to rapid demilitarization soon after Jakku instead of massive escalation over the course of two decades.
>>
>>13674898
>He was maneuvering like a WW2 atmospheric fighter, not a space fighter that flies more on massive thrust and repulsorlifts than on aerodynamics

Man that's what Star Wars has always been. If you want weird technical newtonian maneuvers and three dimensional 360 degree rotations and shit, Battlestar Galactica is your only real friend.

You're right, though, the fight did just feel like a video game. If you're going to do WWII-style dogfights, at least try to get the feel right. Give the ships some weight and some meat. Remember when Luke got grazed and R2 had to do some mid-flight repairs? That did wonders for how the audience responds to the X-Wing as a machine.

The sequence of the Falcon escaping was handled much better. Watching it gouge along the ground and lurch through turns as Rey tried to figure out the controls felt great.

In fact, it felt like another great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUHZZwuybiY
>>
>>13674940

The odd thing is the Vader did do some space fighter maneuvering in his first space battle in Rebels, so I was kind of hoping that The Force Awakens would have more of it. I'm fine with them behaving as atmospheric fighters though, I just wish they'd been a bit more exciting during the climactic battle. Lucas assembled a master reel of WWII dog-fighting film footage to show the guys at ILM when they were making the original Star Wars and I doubt anyone did anything like that for The Force Awakens, because the battle just didn't feel as exciting.
>>
File: poe.jpg (139 KB, 1455x900) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
139 KB, 1455x900
GOAT character. Thank fuck they didn't kill him after all.

He's gonna be the new Han Solo role in the trilogy, right?
>>
File: 1448576529767.jpg (143 KB, 780x718) Image search: [Google]
1448576529767.jpg
143 KB, 780x718
>>13675018
>GOAT character.
>>13673967
>I think that the fighter portions of the movie was the one thing that they really nailed.

This.
>>
>>13674898

Didn't both battles take place in atmosphere anyway?
>>
I absolutely love the cheers and banter between Poe and Finn. It really made me root for them.
>>
>>13674778
Well, we could also say that there's some relativity shenanigans involved (especially since plasmalaserwhatevers in Star Wars don't seem to move at the speed of light). So, from whatever reference point you're looking at the beam, it's moving like any other SW beam, but in reality it's traversing space at hyperspeed.
>>
>>13675018
That guy annoyed the fuck out of me.
>>
I liked how TIE fighters were improved. Was nice seeing one actually kick some ass
>>
>>13675600
>dashing pilot
>bantz master
>good bro
>capable and loyal and brave and generous
>resists force mind probes as long as humanly possible
>spares enemies who show no will to fight

How could he possibly annoy anyone? He's like the Gundam protag people keep asking for.
>>
>>13675577
Yeah. I'm willing to suspend disbelief at this being some sort of superphysics artillery

I mean it's not like the Death Star obeyed physics anyway
>>
>>13675837
>>spares enemies who show no will to fight

He killed every single Imp who crossed his path except for Finn, who approached him unarmed and anxious and looking for a way out.

It's not like he was sparing random TIEs.
>>
>>13674940
It's just Rey and Finn. Rey and Finn and their adventures, BB-8.. REY AND FINN FOREVER AND FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS Rey and Finn.. some...things.. Me and Rey and Finn runnin' around and... Rey and Finn time... a- all day long forever.. all a - a hundred days Rey and Finn forever a hundred times.... OVER and over Rey and Finn... adventures dot com.. W W W dot at Rey and Finn dot com w..w..w... Rey and Finn adventures.. ah- hundred years..... every minute Rey and Finn dot com.... w w w a hundred times... Rey and Finn dot com......."
>>
>>13675849
The Death Star didn't obey physics, but it also wasn't visually confusing when it operated.
>>
>>13675855

Exactly, though. He could tell Finn wasn't a threat to him, and acted accordingly, even though he would be completely within his rights to shoot anyone wearing black and white. If he'd seen a TIE fleeing a battle, he probably would have either tried to bring it down without killing the pilot or asked it to surrender. Mercy is a heroic trait.
>>
>>13675855
If I remember correctly, in that shootout at the beginning of the movie, he saw helmeted Finn spacing out, not firing, sorta freaking out, and didn't shoot him then.
>>
>>13675888
>If he'd seen a TIE fleeing a battle, he probably would have either tried to bring it down without killing the pilot or asked it to surrender.

Yeah, not fleeing, but given how he butchered 10 TIEs in about 20 seconds, at least half of which never even fired a shot at him and just flew into his flight path to be slaughtered because the audience needed something flashy, I'd be inclined to disagree with that assertion.

His 'mercy' is hardly regular. Finn's the lucky one.
>>
>>13675913
He was attacking a superweapon that just killed billions, potentially trillions, of people.

I personally think the dogfight sequence was a little underwhelming, but Poe is a fun character.
>>
>>13675888
>If he'd seen a TIE fleeing a battle, he probably would have either tried to bring it down without killing the pilot or asked it to surrender

yah that seems possible in star wars.
>>
>>13675978
We wouldn't have thought a defector stormtrooper would be possible in a movie until TFA, too.
>>
>>13676018

shooting just to injure in a dogfight is ridiculously impossible.
>>
>>13674472
He's right
>>
>>13674696
I haven't seen the movie, but I thought it was Londo Bell essentially, all the heroes of the previous wars fighting to protect the new republic/earth fed?
>>
>>13676157
sorta. The MCs Rey and Finn end up wandering into what is basically a Londo Bell that's fighting a shadow war against the First Order to protect what might even be a willfully ignorant New Republic
>>
>>13676028

Well, if he had ion cannons it'd be possible. Just so long as the pilot bails in time. X-Wings don't have them though, so he'd have to be in a B-Wing or something. And even then, that's only assuming they have those in the new canon. I think Y-Wings had them all along too.
>>
>>13676157
>>13676460
Londo Bell was officially part of the EFF.
The Resistance was not part of the forces of the New Republic.
>>
>>13676157
In TFA The Empire is PART of the Republic, as a single sovereign nation. The Rebels won and reinstated the Republic as it was before Palpy took over. All Empire loyal planets are considered one nation and get one vote. They're not happy with this so Empire gonna Emp.

The Resistance is an Insurgent group funded in secret by powerful citizens of the Republic.
>>
>>13674898
>magically placed him directly behind multiple TIEs
>instead of just mysteriously ending up behind a whole bunch of TIEs.

Obviously he was a Newtype.
>>
The reason why only X'wings was because the treaty between new republic and imperial remnant to disarm. The resistance also wasn't funded by the republic so Leia had to buy everything herself. They chose xwings because they are the best multipurpose fighters. Also they use t70s which are older than the t80s that republic fleet uses. The actual real reason though is because kids of this generation would be confused if each side used more than one ship.
>>
>>13676533
but the First Order has two types: TIEs and BAMF TIEs.
>>
>>13676539
They look almost the same.
>>
>>13676533
Were they confused when Episode 3 had different fighters for clone pilots and Jedi pilots?
>>
>>13676681
they were babies when it came out. If they were born at all.
>>
>>13676533
There's a T-80? Where did they mention that?
>>
>>13674847
>Transwarp Suitcase
Stop triggering me
>>
>>13676965
Its from The Force Awakens visual dictionary
>>
>>13676472
What.
>>
Stopping by to point out that Leia is standing right next to a parked B-Wing in certain scenes, but you only see the backside of it
>>
We will never get

>Tie Fighter: New Trilogy Edition

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4-EnCc-JKk

Think of how amazing a new one would be but instead we get Battleshit flop.
>>
>>13677192
I hate to admit that I never played TIE Figher or Wing Commander but this review really shows what made TIE Fighter shine in and outside of the missions.

I feel like we're past a Golden Age in PC gaming. It ended somewhere around 1999-2001.
>>
>>13674734
>All they had to say was "we recognized its hyperdrive signature and came a-runnin', we've been looking for it for 15 years" and I'd be fine.

But that's what they did, they really were looking for it, besides doing work with their new freighter.
>>
>>13674778
It is going through hyperspace, though. Pablo Hidalgo confirmed it just creates a space/time tear so that other systems can see the beam and the explosions. He just said it to get people to shut up, though, but I think something similar is in the novelization.
>>
>>13676965
There's a T-85 in Poe's Before the Awakening short story. I think it's implied to be the same fighter he flies in at the end of the film.
>>
>>13674847
Guys.
You're discussing astrophysics in a movie about space wizards who can choke people with their minds, who use projected laser swords with specific length.
>>
>>13676157
It's more like the League Militaire from Victory.
>>
>>13677182
Are you sure we're not seeing the side of one of their cobbled together transport shuttles which uses B-wing cockpit?
>>
>>13677202
Dunno. A lot of good space games lately. I'm enjoying the hell out of Elite: Dangerous, especially now that they have planetary landings in it. Discovered a Mercury-like planet with deep canyons in it, rich in metals and volcanic. And if Star Citizen ever comes out...
>>
File: 1384872794674.jpg (61 KB, 520x391) Image search: [Google]
1384872794674.jpg
61 KB, 520x391
>>13677270
Welcome to /m/.
>>
File: 23006446739_d02a2e33d2_b.jpg (157 KB, 1024x646) Image search: [Google]
23006446739_d02a2e33d2_b.jpg
157 KB, 1024x646
>>13677274
this. Lazy-ass wookieepdia still hasn't got an article for it, so your best source right now is the fuckin lego toy for it.
>>
>>13677557
I really can't wait for a lego TFA game
>>
>>13677274
its in the cross sections book breh
>>
>>13676157
More like the AEUG with the First Order as Axis Zeon
>>
>>13677580
makes me wonder what would happen if they throw in an AE in the mix
>>
>>13677587
Czerka is the closest thing that Star Wars ever had, but it's in the old EU, and only the in KOTOR/TOR era.
>>
File: Hux.jpg (55 KB, 876x525) Image search: [Google]
Hux.jpg
55 KB, 876x525
>>13677598
>>13677587
>what is Seinar Fleet Systems
>>
>>13674734
>All they had to say was "we recognized its hyperdrive signature and came a-runnin', we've been looking for it for 15 years" and I'd be fine.

He pretty much said exactly that right before the cantina scene rehash, along with noting that if he could find it the First Order sure as hell could.
>>
>>13677637
Ignoring the fact that they have had zero story presence in any work since the WEG RPG, they are shameless Empire bootlickers. Anaheim is amoral and self-interested, which matches Czerka much more closely.
>>
File: Pursuit_over_Geonosis.png (622 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
Pursuit_over_Geonosis.png
622 KB, 1000x667
Is it just me or does TFA lacks much in the sound department?
>>
>>13677566
The TFA cross sections book has B-wings in it?
>>
>>13677713
It did. Not same people caused it to sound like starwars vidya by bioware.
>I cant remember a single track
Did any of you have all the sound effects in the theater glaring over the voices.
>>
>>13677672
So Corellian Engineering Corporation or Kuat Drive Yards then.
>>
This would've been better.

But yeah, I thought the fighter combat was decent, I just wish there was more of it, along the lines of ANH or RotJ. Still waiting for an all out fleet battle that isn't as lame as what we got at the beginning of RotS.
>>
>>13677769
KDY is closer to zeonic corp. though isn't it?
>>
>>13677899
They did supply both sides towards the end of the EU.
>>
>>13677798
I personally thought the fleet battle was awesome in RotS. The only problem I had with it was how short they showed of it to us. The Cruiser to Cruiser engagement between that Republic Destroyer and Grievous' Ship was also a cool highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT7vD8uAGEQ
>>
>>13677960
I've forgotten how cool the whole diving into the fireworks looked
>>
Why are there no missiles in Star Wars?
>>
>>13678000
what are you talking about, there are missiles, episode 7 just showed you they had missiles, also torpedoes in 4.

if you're asking why there isn't an "A2A" , they did in that rogue leader game.
>>
>>13677960
>>13677977
I'm glad I'm not the only enjoyed the opening battle.

>The only problem I had with it was how short they showed of it to us.

Seriously. Now that I think about it, I should watch Clone Wars just for the space battles. I've seen webms of the space battles, and they're pretty fucking good from the looks of it.
>>
>>13675160
He doesn't look like a goat.
>>
Speaking of the plot of the movie, interesting how close the leaks got in the end.

http://www.fashionnstyle.com/articles/62804/20150528/star-wars-episode-7-spoilers-major-force-awakens-script-leaks-reveal-full-plot-and-character-details.htm
>>
>>13677960
>>13677798
the problem is that the fleet battle in ROTS lack the emotional attachment of either Yavin or Endor.
>>
>>13674685

Nobody considers CGI cartoons canon. Literally nobody.
>>
>>13674709

Helmet display? F-35 is already doing this.
>>
>>13678392

Except policy, that is.
>>
>>13678000

Because of how engines in SW work missiles are not really faster than fighters. Which means they are generally easy to avoid. And ships themselves are so fast BVR don't exist.
>>
>>13677769
KDY were staunch Empire loyalists for pretty much the entire civil war. CEC is a better comparison, especially since the vast majority of their product line is designed to accept aftermarket mods, most of which aren't legal.

There's also the droid manufacturers, Industrial Automaton and Cybot Galactica will sell to pretty much anyone.
>>
>>13678413
real answer is because Lucas wanted the fighter combat look more like air battles in WW2 films and I'm glad he went for that actually.
>>
File: at_least_its_over_3_years_now.jpg (11 KB, 209x86) Image search: [Google]
at_least_its_over_3_years_now.jpg
11 KB, 209x86
>>13677279
>Star Citizen

Yeah about that...
>>
>>13674463
Please go rewatch episode 1. I watched it last night and it was far worse than I remembered it being
>>
>>13678236
I can understand the emotional attachment in Yavin or Endor was because they were all-or-nothing endeavors with high stakes. I think the RotS battle was pretty emotional in its own right though. When the text stopped scrolling and you see Anakin and Obi-Wan just flying over the lone cruiser and then when they fly over to the side of it, you just gaped in awe when you saw the big battle.

Either way, you can't say that the visuals and aesthetics of the fleet battle in RotS were not beautiful. The cruisers engaging and firing at each other was awesome.
>>
>>13674754
Sooooooo you wanted the galaxy gun?
>>
>>13679666
We basically got the Galaxy Gun as it is, Satan. Just the energy-based version.
>>
File: backed.jpg (26 KB, 261x68) Image search: [Google]
backed.jpg
26 KB, 261x68
>>13679000
It's cool, bro. I'm with you.
>>
>>13674463
Naaaah
>>
>>13680228
Are you an Arabic oil tycoon?
>>
>>13680228
i have to wonder, are millionaires funding star citizen? because that's the only way i can see them racking up that kind of kickstarter money.
>>
File: 1380390585549.jpg (200 KB, 1541x867) Image search: [Google]
1380390585549.jpg
200 KB, 1541x867
>>13680228
I am glad I'm in the right place.
>>
>>13680228
>>13679000
Why? I spent the $30 to get the game and that's it.
>>
>>13679656
>Either way, you can't say that the visuals and aesthetics of the fleet battle in RotS were not beautiful. The cruisers engaging and firing at each other was awesome.

I actually had no problem with that part of the ROTS battle. The actual problem I had with ROTS is that we ONLY get a short glimpse of that battle then spend the next 10 minutes with that stupid buzz droid scene.
>>
>>13680751
Because I believe in digital starships. It's no more absurd than any other faith.
>>
>>13680503
Well, when you have a million people shelling out money it adds up even if it's just a little at a time.
>>
>>13678000
Advanced missiles too stronk! They rip through TIE Advance and TIE Defenders pretty good.
>>
>>13678000
There are, just the fighters we normally see have anti-cap ship proton torps instead.
>>
>>13677106
I can already see them using those for the next film.
>>
>>13677557
Wookieepedians are too assblasted that the EU they autistically slaved over to record is now meaningless. Of course they won't be enthusiastic about TFA.
>>
>>13678000

There were when fett was chasing obi-wan through the asteroid belt.
>>
>>13674696
>>13674711
>>13674742
anyone got a link for the whole thing?
>>
>>13674711
>Other than that, literally just pacing issues. It's a good movie, folks.

No, it really isn't.
>>
>>13674696
>She made her own speeder bike
>from scraps

Kind of an important detail you left out there JJ. Fuck, the script for this movie was atrocious.
>>
>>13677261
He had to leave it behind when he left the Republic Navy for the Resistance. Black One is definitely a T-70.
>>
>>13678013
It's actually really good, yo. If you care enough about Star Wars to post in this thread, you should watch The Clone Wars.
>>
>>13681711
How is that important?
>>
>>13681878
Shows that she has a lot of knowledge of mechanical stuff and engines in a better way then suddenly knowing exactly how to fix the Millenium Falcon every time ot breaks

Especially since at least half her tech skills shown in the movie seemed to just be yanking parts out of place and getting lucky that it worked
>>
>>13681894
She does pretty much everything else with little to no explanation. She at least mentioned that she had worked on the Falcon.
>>
To me the movie suffered a lot from wanting to keep the audience excited by going from one action scene to another when it could have used some of its down time for character exposition or world building.

Now I'm not saying long walks and talking followed by more long walks and more talk like in LOTR but it just feels like the pauses between the action scenes in TFA is just there so the characters can take a short breather.

I really enjoyed watching it but it wasn't a very good movie, it felt more like a roller coaster ride.

>>13681742
now I'm curious if the white/blue ones are the same model with different paint or a different model from the black/orange one altogether
>>
>>13681915
>Now I'm not saying long walks and talking followed by more long walks and more talk like in LOTR
You may not, but hell. I am so fucking game.
>>
>>13681915
They're all T-70s. Nary a T-85 in the joint. They're running on surplus garbage, not the cutting edge units (that may not even have a design made up in the first place)
>>
File: tie-fighter-pilot-force-awakens.jpg (43 KB, 1280x517) Image search: [Google]
tie-fighter-pilot-force-awakens.jpg
43 KB, 1280x517
From a strictly technical aspect the depiction of X-Wings and TIE fighters and the Falcon was great in TFA. Pretty fun fanservice.

The iconic sound of the engines for all craft are very faithfully replicated and used in ways we didn't see in the original trilogy - we hear the distant roar of TIEs in the distance just before the attack on the marketplace in Jakku, and if you listen closely, you can hear the distinct "blip blip" of a targeting computer during the skirmish at Maz's. Overall, the sound engineers demonstrate a much larger degree of freedom in moving the craft around the action's soundscape than what was possible in the original films- alternately soar far away from the camera and zip past at close range in tracking shots, and the sounds of the engines morph accordingly. Thanks, modern technology!

We see strafing runs performed by both X-Wings and TIEs, which marks the first time we've seen starfighters engage in air-to-ground attacks (snowspeeders don't count), and their cannons are now established to be devastatingly effective compared to small arms fire (especially TIEs, they really did a number on Jakku and the cantina).

There are also several new ideas in the mechanical designs themselves - BB-8 for instance does well as the EVE to R2's WALL-E, and his swiveling head allows him to emote through body language. TIEs have also received a remodel, with a new darker color scheme at least some units sporting an aft gunner's seat. All of the cockpit shots are richly detailed and beautifully rendered, especially for the nameless TIE pilots pursuing the Falcon on Jakku. (pic related, from the second trailer. pretty sure even more light sources were added in the final cut)
>>
>>13685819

However it was often difficult to appreciate the good qualities of the movie's /m/ aspects due to disorienting and hectic directing and editing.

For instance, the eye-popping cockpit shots I mentioned earlier each last for about a second at the very most. God I wish those were dragged out slightly longer, and that we could have seen these pilots interact with the apparatus surrounding them and watch the amazing lighting dance around the elements in motion, rather than just being limited to short instances in which the pilot does nothing in particular besides pulling an offscreen trigger to fire the laser cannon.

I also found the direction of the action shots to be annoying and prone to using confusing camera movement to mask a lack of substance. Take for instance the attached webm. It's not a very eventful shot, the Falcon flips around and flies towards some TIEs. But the camera shakes back and forth epileptically and the shot is upside down for a few seconds, so it's not as easy to figure out what's going on.

The dogfight over the ruined cantina is another good example. At one point Poe takes out about 8 TIE fighters in roughly 8 seconds. But can you remember how he took down any of the individual fighters? Can you recall the film conveying any information to you other than "8 TIEs managed to find themselves in Poe's line of fire somehow"? I'm guessing that for most people the answer is "no." The action was too quick and uninvolved, too light and fluffy, to be really memorable or meaningful - as though the script said "Poe then shoots down 8 TIE fighters" without going into any detail.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (76 KB, 1902x812) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
76 KB, 1902x812
>>13685823

Finally the Starkiller Base battle is (in classic JJ Abrams style) an enormous mess of randomly flashing lasers and missiles and like 50 TIEs flying two inches away from 12 X-Wings. The sequence makes the fustercluck at Endor look like Space Odyssey by comparison. I believe we see one guy say "I'm hit!", and then he dies, but other than that I have absolutely no recollection of what exactly was happening at any specific point in that battle besides the first bombing run being ineffective and an unexplained trench run to the exposed weak point at the end.

As for the trench run itself... why? I don't mean that like "Why did the director rehash the trench sequence from the original, I mean" Why were the pilots flying through a trench at all?" Seriously, even an establishing shot of the trench with some character saying "That's the only way in!" would have been so helpful here. Did that actually happen, maybe? Did I miss something? As is, it seemed to me as if all of the combatants suddenly decide to inexplicably confine themselves to this tiny enclosed space, because "that's what happened in A New Hope and wouldn't it be totally cool if it happened again??"

All in all, I would say that the direction of the film's fighter portions was apparently meant to accommodate viewers who were not paying very close attention to the action, and that this came at the expense of more memorable and stimulating battle sequences (like Yavin!). I'm sure it earned the filmmakers several million dollars in sales due to increased mass appeal, however.

decided to post this on /m/ instead of /tv/ because I figured there would be more old fogeys here. I hope this post helped to articulate several feelings that other anons have mentioned ITT.

Don't get me started on how terrible Phasma's role was.
>>
>>13685830
The only explanation I could come up with for the trench run: There's some hueg fuckoff AA system that would've nailed Poe and crew if they tried to fly in from above normally. Most Ace Combat games force you to fly through a canyon for similar reasons.

I watched the movie less than three days ago, and I can't remember who Phasma was.
>>
File: CaptainPhasmaTrailer.jpg (64 KB, 860x500) Image search: [Google]
CaptainPhasmaTrailer.jpg
64 KB, 860x500
>>13685905
>There's some hueg fuckoff AA system that would've nailed Poe and crew if they tried to fly in from above normally.

well, that's what it was with the original Death Star, whose defenses were more oriented towards fending off assault from capital ships. but when when Poe + Co. assault the Starkiller Base, the first thing they do is a bombing run from a good distance directly above the weak point. Nobody is shot down during this run, so...

also, Captain Phasma was the silver, female Stormtrooper commander who lowered the shields at gunpoint. pic related
>>
File: Star_Wars,_Rogue_One.jpg (25 KB, 663x225) Image search: [Google]
Star_Wars,_Rogue_One.jpg
25 KB, 663x225
>>13685819

forgot to add this: I am genuinely looking forward to Gareth Edwards' Rogue One coming out at the end of the year. The direction and pacing of Godzilla 2014 far outstripped the actors and hokey script, and I would love to see some more substantial inspirations from the original trilogy, in terms of style, rather than the cheap (albeit enjoyable) references peppered throughout ANH.

At least the man knows how to hold out a long shot for dramatic effect.

https://youtu.be/QjKO10hKtYw

don't remember to buy lots of toys and tickets for all upcoming Disney© Star Wars® attractions and films, boys and girls
>>
>>13685830
Movie was full of unnecessary references.

They shoved the usage of the Jedi mind trick into the movie and the last lightsaber fight was obnoxious.

The movie tried to shove in as many things as they could relating to the original trilogy.
>>
can someone explain something to me, I've read somewhere that wookies despite them living in tree houses, were supposed to be technologically advanced, and yet everyone constantly calls them primitive, you can't be both at the same time
>>
>>13686145
As I see it, they're a species of furry tree-hugging hippies but still keeps their iPhones in their pouches.

On a side note, most of the major species in Star Wars should all be technologically advanced. Most of the major tech is not limited to any particular species.
>>
>>13673967
Lads, how much have they ruined the X-Wing design? Is it still worth watching?
>>
>>13686189
The X-Wing didn't change much, though I didn't like how the engines separated when the S-foils split.

The Force Awakens is just a A New Hope with a fresh coat of paint and a worse story.
>>
>>13686211
>The X-Wing didn't change much
How can you say that? Everything is flatter, the engines look different and it's fucking blue.
>>
File: Phasmas role in life.png (464 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
Phasmas role in life.png
464 KB, 878x900
>20sec of screen time and then literally thrown into the trash

>was so unimportant the trash throwing was done off screen
>>
>>13686189
The cockpit uses a single stick design as opposed to the weird yoke of the original trilogy.

The overall design is a bit of a throwback to the McQuarrie concept design for the X-Wing.

In terms of in-film portrayal it comes off like a jet fighter to the 65's propeller fighter, chalk it up to advances in effects tech but the T70 maneuvers even more gracefully.

Long story short it's a fucking X-Wing, can't go wrong with them.
>>
>>13673967

I actually think I like the new X-Wings better... the way the wings split and the bottom one is a bit forward balances the design out better
>>
>>13686253

I just like the fact it's more svelte and slick looking. I do miss some of the design cues of the old one, but I like the profile and look of the new one a lot regardless.
>>
>>13686248
Why change a perfect design? To sell more merchandise of it? Fucking jews.
>>
>>13681912
This.
That's exactly why half internet call her Mary Sue, because she's too good at stuff without any explanation whatsoever, also because everybody instalove her when they she her.

It really rustled my jimmies when Leia, without previous knowledge of who she was, goes and hugs her at the end of the movie completely ignoring poor Chewie after they both lost Han
>>
File: Starkiller OG.jpg (78 KB, 530x292) Image search: [Google]
Starkiller OG.jpg
78 KB, 530x292
How long do you think it took them to build all that shit into the planet?

Cause like, right where the beam fired out of, the fucking thin had mountain sized walls that were like a thousand kilometers tall. Like holy fuck how do you even make that.

Its like in animu when they have ships that are several km long, and it just boggles my fucking mind trying to think about how long it took them to make something that big.
>>
>>13686212
As long as it's recognizable as an X-Wing, I'm fine with it. And it's meant to be a successor to the X-Wing, so some change is expected. It's not like nuTrek where they totally changed the design but still call it the same ship.
>>
>>13686303
>successor
Then call it X-Wing 0.5.
>>
>>13686279

> Like holy fuck how do you even make that

Probably the same way you build a moon sized battle station that is solid all the way through and much bigger than a mountain.

> it just boggles my fucking mind to think about how long it took them to make something that big

A couple of years in the case of the second Death Star. There's probably a lot of automation by droids the size of buildings or even mountains themselves going on.
>>
>>13686303
According to the canon books they are actually made from spare parts, Republic has the T-85 or T-80, Resistance has to conform with these T-70 who are just a slight improvement from the old T-65
>>
>>13686307

Why? The old ones were always T-65s, so having the new one be a T-70 is reasonable. Calling it something completely different would be stupid.
>>
>>13686307
That's pretty much what they did; the new X-Wing is designated T-70 instead of T-65.
>>
>>13686321
Ok, that's better. But the original X-Wing is still what defined Star Wars for me. When I thought about SW, I was thinking about the X-Wing and now all I can see is that ugly blue version.
>>
>>13686307
It's actually called T-70 X-Wing. On the bright side, it's more than likely in the future movies a T-65 X-Wing will save the day after the T-70s failed.
>>
>>13686316
Huh, hope we can see those T-80s/T-85s in the future.
>>
>>13686333
That "ugly blue version" is almost a carbon copy of mcquarrie x-wing concepts.

I like it, and after 30 years, it seems like a realistic natural improvement of the x-wing.
>>
>>13686321
>>13686339
Why not T-65D or T-65E or, dare I say, T-65XJ? Why the jump in number? The way they go from T-65 to T-70 would imply a whole new ship.
>>
>>13686346
Don't think so, according to canon, the whole new republic fleet blew up. Unless flashback I don't think we'll see them.
>>
>>13686353
Pulling a Super Hornet is the kind of move you do to shanghai congress into funding a machine that only superficially resembles a currently existing model.

That sort of hurdle doesn't need to be jumped in the magical land of fiction.

Besides, the slavs do it quite regularly with their Sukhoi Flanker derivatives.
>>
>>13686353

If it was a whole new ship it'd be a new letter not a higher number.
>>
>>13686356
That's sad and stupid. At least leave some stuff for the future movies.
>>
File: spit take.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
spit take.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
I wish the Starkiller was only disabled or something, and that they kept it around to be a big threat for the next movie.

I swear to god if they pull a deathstar and go "LUCKILY WE HAD A SECOND STARKILLER THATS PARTIALLY COMPLETED BUT IS READY TO FIRE" Im going to do a double spit take in the theater all over the crowd in front of me.
>>
>>13686419
>yfw they reveal a super duper star destroyer with a starkiller cannon integrated into it

wait they did this before with a Death Star superlaser in the EU didn't they?
>>
>>13686419
I wish Starkiller wasn't in the movie or at least just alluded to. It totally destroyed the momentum of the movie's first-half.
>>
>>13686435
Not a full-scale Death Star laser, but close enough.
>>
File: starwars addedrocks.jpg (225 KB, 1152x487) Image search: [Google]
starwars addedrocks.jpg
225 KB, 1152x487
>>13686435

>wait they did this before with a Death Star superlaser in the EU didn't they?

Yes. They took the huge fucking laser system from the Deathstar and just built a ship around it and flew it around instead of building a moon sized fortress around it.

I forget which book it was from. It even had a dumb name just like Starkiller or something.
>>
File: DarksaberConstruction-TEC.jpg (440 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
DarksaberConstruction-TEC.jpg
440 KB, 800x1066
>>13686445
>>13686435
That was the Darksaber, the Hutts' Best Korea knockoff of the Death Star superlaser, and one of the parts of the EU that is best left wiped from canon.
>>
>>13674104
What about the scene where Poe is nailing tie fighter after tie fighter on maz katanatatota's planet, no quick cut just a steady cam following the action from left to right.
>>
>>13686419
I wish they failed and left the movie on a live to fight another day
>>
>>13686461

The Darksaber could have been great as part of a larger narrative or as the punchline to a comedy bit or something, but as the main thrust of a story, yea - it was pretty stupid.
>>
Wouldnt mounting larger lazers on Star Destroyers be useful? Not advocating the small death star cannon but, Star Destroyers didn't manage to do much to the rebel fleet at Endor despite being at close range.
>>
>>13686559
Saturation is more important than size, and on top of that for some reason the average star destroyer has a lot of difficulty focusing its forward firepower to screen against anything flying towards the bridge.
>>
>>13686440

So, out of curiosity, which do you all prefer? Executor or Eclipse?
>>
>>13674736
get that shitty bf trash away from me
>>
>>13686572
>the average star destroyer has a lot of difficulty focusing its forward firepower to screen against anything flying towards the bridge.

>Executor
>average star destroyer
>implying
>>
>>13689112
Name a time a Star Destroyer actually shot something down when it tried to strafe the bridge.
>>
>>13686464
That scene felt like a Video Game Quick Time event. The only thing it was missing was the button commands on the screen.
>>
>>13677713
word
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utFRqsT61-k
>>
>>13693324
Jango dropping the bass like that is one of my favorite dumb things in Star Wars.
>>
>>13675018
am I the only one that thought he looked like bruce campbell?
>>
So is Poe the Amuro of Star Wars?

All they have to do is to make Kes Dameron like Tem and boom.
>>
>>13693522
Unless we're talking CCA Amuro, Poe fits Mu La Flaga better.

Well, he would be, if he tried tanking the Starkiller laser/
>>
>>13693522
He's too Maverick (TOPPEST GUN) to be Amuro. He's got the piloting skills and homoeroticism, all VIII needs is a beach volleyball scene and he can be my wingman anytime~
>>
>>13696381

seriously, tho, that lip bite.

this is intentional, right?
>>
File: 1450889607129.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
1450889607129.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>13700786

sage because I forgot my image
>>
File: Jacen.jpg (10 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
Jacen.jpg
10 KB, 181x278
>They replaced this guy with an Emo wangst teen.
>>
>>13700835
>pretending that guy didn't turn into a wangsty emo thirtysomething.
>>
>>13700786
>this is intentional, right?

Probably.
>>
>>13700845
at least for Jacen it was something that took an emotional toll on him. It had actual weight. With Ben it was treated really abruptly.
>>
>>13700857
with Ben they had less than two and half hours to convey it. Jacen got over a decade and dozens of books.
>>
>>13700861
I'm pretty sure Ben did it out of what he thought was Anakin's true intent. Which is funny because Anakin (Solo) was one of the reasons why Jacen turns.
>>
>>13686603

Executor. Not even close. They both go well into the area of "absurdly large superdreadnoughts" but it's still got elegant lines and that great dagger profile. Less "dark side cathedral", more mobile carrer/command ship.

Not insane superlaser though.
>>
>>13701068
amen

on a side note, despite their being relatively few ships in TFA, ALL of them were perfectly star warsy. I am filled with what might be a shred of joy
Thread replies: 204
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.