[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the first Gundam I am ever watched. It is an acceptable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5
File: gundam_ibo_stream.jpg (258 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gundam_ibo_stream.jpg
258 KB, 1280x720
This is the first Gundam I am ever watched. It is an acceptable place for starting? I heard Wing is very bad. Apologies for poor English.
>>
Sorry, "Is it"
>>
>>13671204
No, you should start with Seed, Seed Destiny, AGE and Unicorn, then you're good.
>>
>>13671204
Gundam ZZ nothing else matters
>>
>>13671204
I'd recommend starting with:
Gundam 0079 (the first one)
Gundam 0080
Gundam 08th MS Team
After War Gundam X
Gundam SEED
Gundam 00
>>
How old are these? Will they look aged? When you say to see 0079 (for example) isn't this because of fond memories?
>>
>>13671317
I literally watched in this summer in June, and I think it's one of the best mecha anime and anime in general. So I don't think it's "fond" memories.
>>
>>13671317
I only started with 0079 last February, and I never liked any mecha beforehand, so no, it's enjoyable on its own merits. Outdated, but not obsolete.
>>
>>13671325
Alright, thank you I will try to find it online. I enjoyed Neon Genesis Evangelion very much, but I know that it must be a quite different.

>>13671332
Very good to know also!
>>
>>13671204
standalone gundam shows can be and should be treated as entirely different shows, aside from the fact they all feature a robot called gundam.

But yes, Wing is bad, you will lose interest in Gundam if you started on it, I recommend starting with 00 and then UC on production order.
>>
>>13671332
Sorry, to add: Why do you say to you that it is outdated? Is this not a barrier?
>>
0079 is essential really. Then there are the UC sequels to 0079, Zeta, ZZ, then the movie Char's Counterattack. There is more UC stuff but I don't know a whole lot about it.
I'd highly reccomend the OVA 0080 War in the Pocket, I watched it two days ago and it is my favourite thing Gundam I've seen so far.
>>
>>13671345
No. Outdated just means that it's quite old and uses old techniques. That's all.
>>
>>13671317
P R O D U C T I O N
O R D E R
I S
T H E
O N L Y
A N S W E R

0079 is literally the most important and one of the best series in all of Gundam. Enjoy it.
>>
>>13671357
>>13671363
Your message is read loud and clear. I will definitely watch it.
(the first to be the best though does sound as though it is concerning)
>>
>>13671374
Most following series have one or more glaring problems. Some have (many) more than others. 0079 is one of the best of the bunch with the best characters, most memorable writing, and a well concocted ecosystem to bring everything together.

Then you have shit like 0083 and SEED.
>>
>>13671363
Production order is fucking garbage. Fuck you.
>>
>>13671410
>I watched 0083 before I saw Zeta because I'm a stupid cocksuck
>>
>>13671415
>Watch Zeta first
>"Boy, I enjoy knowing nothing about these characters who keep appearing!"
>Watch 0083 afterwards
>"Boy, I enjoy already knowing how this ends!"
>>
>>13671415
hey it's really important that you know how Darth Vader is a whiny cunt before you watch A New Hope otherwise it makes no sense at all
>>
>>13671423
>bitching about new characters in a new series
>bitching about knowing how a prequel ends
You are only digging a deeper hole.
>>
>>13671423
Fuck you're a moron
>>
>>13671432
Yeah it's much better to watch them in reverse order. I know I watched ZZ before Zeta. Watching Unicorn before CCA is how all the cool kids do it. SEED Destiny is best watched before SEED, naturally. Hell, why not just start with Victory and work your way back to 0079?

>>13671433
>Resorting to name-calling
Production order faggots, everybody!
>>
I will ignore this talk about canon in case but it doesn't affect 79 or Unicorn? (I have to guess?)
>>
>>13671440
>Production order is fucking garbage. Fuck you.
>>
>>13671440
>prequel
>reverse order
NOT
HOW
PREQUELS
WORK
YOU
DO
NOT
WATCH
THEM
FIRST
>>
>>13671446
That isn't name-calling. That's just making the facts known.

>>13671449
Absolutely. It's not like they were intentionally made to lead into a show and are intended to be watched before said show.

Oh wait. That's exactly the case.
>>
>>13671344
>Wing is bad
>you will lose interest in Gundam if you started on it
Objectively this is bullshit.
>>
>>13671204
>This is the first Gundam I am ever watche
I feel bad for you.
>It is an acceptable place for starting?
It's probably the worst place for that.
>I heard Wing is very bad
People didn't lie to you.
>Apologies for poor English
We're sadly used to it already.
>>
>>13671457
>and are intended to be watched before said show
That's why they were made first, right?
>>
>>13671457
No. That is not the case. It has NEVER been the case. It assumes you've already seen the previous entries the moment it fucking releases. THAT is what its for, expanding BACKSTORY.
>>
>>13671500
No, they were made because they realized that something else was necessary after the fact.

>>13671504
Bullshit. Go watch 0083. They aren't assuming you've seen Zeta.
>>
>>13671457
>Prequels are meant to lead into a story
Were you dropped on your head as a kid?
>>
>>13671513
Go watch Zeta. They aren't assuming you've seen 0083.
>>
>>13671513
Yes it does, that's why Haman appears for all of six fucking seconds in a conversation about her father.
B A C K S T O R Y.
>>
>>13671514
Oh you're right. Prequels are all completely unrelated to the works they follow and don't set them up at all.

>>13671520
No, because 0083 was made after the fact. Don't be stupid.

>>13671523
Whoa! Six seconds! That's some rich backstory!

Or maybe they were establishing what Axis is and who runs it, making their sudden appearance in Zeta make more sense.
>>
>>13671531
>more sense
It already makes all the sense it needs to. Its a prequel. An accent to a finished story. You're treating it like a retcon.
>>
>>13671566
We're just going in circles at this point. You have your preconceived notions, and you aren't going to compromise your beliefs in any case.
>>
>>13671572
Were Star Wars I-III made with those uninitiated in SW lore in mind? How about VII?
>>
>>13671587
I-III, yes. VII, only partially.
>>
>>13671597
oh god, what? do you really suggest starting with the phantom menace?
>>
>>13671599
Yes. They wouldn't have set it before II, III, IV, V, and VI if they didn't want you to watch it first.
>>
>>13671604
apparently you don't understand the basic concept of prequels
>>
>>13671599
Can you give me a reason not to start with The Phantom Menace? And it can't be "it's bad". Give me one example of something that will only be made clear in the prequels if you watch the original trilogy first.
>>
>>13671606
And apparently you don't understand basic mathematics.
>>
>>13671610
it will greatly diminish your enjoyment of the original trilogy
>>13671612
you do realize that those episode numbers were put on after the fact, right? "episode IV" is the first star wars movie
>>
>>13671604
It doesn't matter what they want, what matters is what is right. The prequels are not required to watch TOT.

And chronological placement of a feature in canon has jack shit to do with when you're supposed to watch it. It never has and never will.
>>
>>13671619
No, it won't.

>>13671620
Yeah, they aren't required. You aren't required to watch 0079, Zeta, ZZ, or CCA to watch Unicorn, either.
>>
>>13671204
Watch Gundam Thunderbolt instead.
>>
>>13671626
it'll fuck up everything that was a major plot twist in tot, so unless you hate plot, it will. darth vader's identity, relationship with obi-wan, and the fact that he's luke and leia's father isn't information you should have on the first run of tot.

excellent counterexample, by the way. simply excellent.
>>
>>13671610
Because its a prequel. Prequels go after or they wouldn't be called fucking prequels. Is IV a sequel to III? No, literally impossible, as it was made before. Sequels are watched AFTER THE PREVIOUS ENTRY. Prequel does not mean WATCH ME FIRST, it is a SEQUEL THAT TAKES PLACE BEFORE THE PREVIOUS ONE.

I is a sequel to VI as it was made after.
>>
>>13671626
Yes you are. The entire original trilogy is required for MSG:UC.
>>
>>13671635
Yeah, because the characters discovering these events doesn't matter, all that matters is that the audience discovers them for the first time.
So, basically, you don't give a shit about the plot, you just want thrills. Go watch Transformers or something.

>>13671640
Oh, so you'd recommend watching them in the order 4 > 5 > 6 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 7? That makes a lot of sense.

>>13671644
No, it isn't.
>>
>>13671648
you're veering into fallacy territory, friendo

really, whenever anyone asks about what order to watch gundam in ever again, all we need to tell them is
>people who advocate for chronological order also say to start with the phantom menace
>>
>>13671654
>"Fallacy! Fallacy!"
Why don't you actually address what I said instead of skirting around the issue? If you advocate production order, that means you want to watch VII, which has nothing to do with the prequels, only after sitting through the prequels. That makes less sense than starting with The Phantom Menace.
>>
>>13671664
>you posit that knowing about the plot twists of a movie beforehand ruins the experience
>therefore you don't give a shit about the plot and only want cheap thrills
this is about as textbook fallacious as you can get

how do you think people who grew up watching star wars watched it? production order, numbskull. the phantom menace was produced and released for an audience who were already diehard star wars fans, not for relative newcomers to the series. I would say to watch VII after the prequels, considering it's the beginning of a new arc of story, which makes the most sense in the context of having seen the original story and then fleshing out the universe with the next three movies to come out.
>>
>>13671487
I am sorry you watched dubbed W on toonami a few times in your childhood and never got back to watching it to see for yourself how shit it is without nostalgia glasses.
>>
>>13671677
>how do you think people who grew up watching star wars watched it? production order
I don't think they had much choice. And stop resorting to name-calling.

And no, bullshit, many aspects of Episode I WERE intended for newcomers. What, do you think Jar Jar Binks was intended for the diehard fans of the Original Trilogy? Please.

Episode I exists so that the story of Anakin Skywalker has a proper beginning. It's not just pointless backstory.
>>
>>13671694
you are correct, it isn't pointless backstory. it's meaningful backstory.

meaningful backstory to be consumed after the original piece of media.
>>
Whatever you do, skip ZZ.

Ignore anyone that disagrees with this.
>>
>>13671710
hopefully we can all put aside our differences to agree with this guy
>>
>>13671702
If you say so. I think it makes more sense to just watch it all in the order the story goes in, instead of leaping around, but let's agree to disagree.

>>13671710
I disagree.
>>
Do you understand now why I have such contempt for plotfags?

From the story's perspective, it doesn't make a difference how the audience reacts to the reveal. Vader isn't speaking to us, he's speaking to Luke, the person it's supposed to shock. Even if you know it's coming, it should still have the same effect on the story.

That said, anyone arguing for chronological order is a damned fool and I hope they enjoy The Prometheus Trilogy once it's completed and get burned out before carrying on to Alien.
>>
>>13671710
While I did skipped ZZ because I can't stand Moon moon, I think I will give it a watch after I have finished everything else in the series.
>>
>>13671648
>>Oh, so you'd recommend watching them in the order 4 > 5 > 6 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 7?
No, I'd just reccomend 4>5>6>7.
>>
>>13671204
>not starting with G Gundam
>>
>>13671514
this is what kids who grew up with the prequel trilogy think
because they are retarded in their brains
>>
>>13671204
>It is an acceptable place for starting?
Nope. Instead go with:

-G
-Wing
-X
-SEED and Destiny

Also Victory, but it doesn't represent the setting too well.
>>
>>13671514
Cool mouth, does it talk with dialogue?
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492 KB, 602x566) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492 KB, 602x566
>>13672999
Found the space rat sympathizer
>>
>>13671304
You are bad for not recommending Wing. Wing is important.
>>
File: Guide0.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
Guide0.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3402
>>13671204
You're fine, OP. Use this guide.
>>
File: gundamguide.jpg (3 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
gundamguide.jpg
3 MB, 2800x3402
>>13673125
no, this, mainly because Age is far worse than Destiny
>>
>>13673133
>>13673125
>ZZ
>canon
You memesters need to stop using the wrong guides
>>
>>13671317
>How old are these?
Mobile Suit Gundam - 1979. If you have issues with old animation, you're going to have a fun time surviving this. There's some BluRay versions floating about that fixed some of the worst offenders. Failing that, you can just watch Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (2010s), which is a slightly different retelling of the original series.

0080 War in the Pocket - 1989.

0083, X, Wing, 08th MS Team are 90s and still mostly hold up.

SEED/Destiny and 00 - 2000s.

>Will they look aged?
Only Mobile Suit Gundam would look notably aged. And so would Zeta and Double Zeta. But 0080, 0083, and Char's Counterattack still stand up pretty well.

All the other Gundam series from the 90s onwards also hold up fairly well animation wise.

>When you say to see 0079 (for example) isn't this because of fond memories?
For some, yes. But others who started out as Wing fans for example, may have shifted loyalties to the original for reasons other than nostalgia.
>>
>>13671728
Becauser leaping around was the order the story was conceived in it makes it the proper way to watch it.
>>
>>13671344
00 is one of my favorite gundams but it wouldn't be half as fun if I hadn't seen other gundams first.
>>
>>13671344
>you will lose interest if you start with Wing
Considering Wing is babby's first Gundam for a good chunk of the board, you're clearly wrong.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.