[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started Dancouga. what are /m/'s thoughts on it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10
Started Dancouga.

what are /m/'s thoughts on it
>>
Sarah is cute yeah
>>
Very commercialized project in the 80s where they tried to cram a lot of things into it. Turned out pretty average but memorable.
>>
really fucking disappointing animation wise
At least there's the OVAs but still
>>
Fun ride, but not a lot of substance.
>>
>>13670990
I love Dancouga in SRW, but didn't care for the anime very much. It was painfully mediocre in terms of animation and story.
>>
Good, but the OVAs are way better
>>
File: twin eagle.jpg (283 KB, 627x900) Image search: [Google]
twin eagle.jpg
283 KB, 627x900
this did not go in the direction I wanted it too
>>
>>13670990
I'm not sure how you can watch it without being less than 10 years old. Hopefully you're writing a paper on it or something.
>>
>>13670990
It drags at a glacial pace and has a lot of stock footage, but it has great character moments and some of the episode plots are good (others... aren't.) After Alan starts becoming a major cast member, it speeds up and becomes pretty good, but the animation is still piss. (Though it is in no way the worst show that came out that year in terms of animation)

Requiem is pretty cool. God Bless is good fun, though it lacks substance somewhat and is marred by a plot hole or two. BE is apparently quite bad.

Honestly, anytime I see people on the internet say "DANCOUGA WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN NOVA" I sort of shake my head and go "good to know you didn't watch Dancouga, then.", since both are about the same quality wise to be honest.
>>
File: 26971647_p0.png (1 MB, 1125x1125) Image search: [Google]
26971647_p0.png
1 MB, 1125x1125
>>13673510
>Honestly, anytime I see people on the internet say "DANCOUGA WAS SO MUCH BETTER THAN NOVA"

I don't think Ive seen that really said all that much since Nova ended. I think it ended up evening out to where we all just kind of agreed they're both just kind of stupid fun shows.

Though at least in my case I think I liked Nova just for being more digestible
>>
>>13673518
Not so much on /m/, but elsewhere on the internet, hooooo boy.

Oh, and there was also BURN. It's... Well, it's a thing. It happened.
>>
>>13673542
>but elsewhere on the internet, hooooo boy.

where else on the internet has even seen either? I mean Dancouga's not really obscure cuz of SRW but I don't really ever see much talk of either series unless its about SRW
>>
>>13673510
Dancougar wasn't great
But it was still more entertaining than Nova.
There was something loosely resembling...a plot? That's more than I can fucking say for Nova.
>>
File: Final Dancouga Ver Nova.png (2 MB, 1188x1252) Image search: [Google]
Final Dancouga Ver Nova.png
2 MB, 1188x1252
>>13673578
Both of them had a plot, though? Dancouga had an alien invasion that they had to drag off of Earth and destroy, then go to their home and make sure they didn't come back. Dancouga Nova was about an alien AI trying to prepare Earth to both stop his insane brother from killing everyone by creating a machine in the likeness of a savior from their home planet which would both fight his brother as well as serve as a backup to all the genetic code of everything on Earth, but the latest test group he brought in happened to be very different from the rest and that sped up his plans.
>>
>>13673589

Well see this is what I said earlier. Dancouga DID have a plot. It just din't have 39 episodes worth of one.

It's not a bad show but it's more of a slog. The titular mech didn't show up to what was it, 16 episodes in?

I don't mind a slow burn (I know what Id did there) but a lot of the episodes didn't really contribute to much
>>
>>13673614
>The titular mech didn't show up to what was it, 16 episodes in?

Yeah, it was probably the longest any mech show took to get its titular mecha out (Aside from the ones that are named after upgrades like Gundam 00 or last minute things like G Dangaioh of course).

Not the only one to take a while though. Getter Go's anime took 11 to get the actual transforming Getter out, Gorg took 4~5, a bunch of shows take 2, that sort of thing.
>>
>>13673589
>>13673589
Dancougar Nova's "plot" only shows up at the last 2-3 episodes as a reveal that all of their bumfucking (supporting the weakest side!) around was in order to train them for the upcoming battle.

Until then, the entire series is spent with them battling hapless terrorists with mecha, getting beaten up by R-Daigun until a power up saves the day for them (you remember Nova's Bestial Mode, right? It did the thing with the trunk?) and a bunch of nothing. Let's not forget spending one episode on HOMELESS GUY telling us why he's HOMELESS, and because he wanted to be HOMELESS because the HOMELESS are free because they're HOMELESS! I don't expect much out of these characters, but don't waste my time with this shit. I'd rather watch Masato playing with Sarah.
Okay, I take that back.

But let's not forget the raid on the kingdom that nobody cares about, or has nothing to do with the overall narrative! That was like 1-2 episodes of them fucking around on foot? And then the "plot" rushes in at the last two episodes, and it's not even that great. Dancougar had several clunkers and over dramatic plotlines, but I can at least think of a few that are good. That's more than I can say for Dancougar Nova
>>
File: Graysus Unit.png (310 KB, 542x409) Image search: [Google]
Graysus Unit.png
310 KB, 542x409
>>13673773
>>13673773

Dancougar is a very heavily flawed series, and maybe if they weren't wasting so much time jerking off Shaprio, they would have had time for a fucking ending, but even with that, it still had a tighter narrative than Nova did. For every problem Dancougar's got with it's writing, Nova's got it in spades. How many conversations can you remember between these characters that isn't "Snarky Comment? Snarky retort!!"?

Yeah, Dancougar Nova had fewer episodes to work with, but that's maybe why it should have just been a bit more than nonsense with robots here and there, and then a final battle at the end. I'm not saying it should have been "Dancougar 2!!", but it could have tried to do something more than nothing at all
Go ahead, and toss Dancougar under the bus. Like I said before, it's very flawed in several ways.
But Dancougar Nova is NOT a good series.
If Dancougar's a 4, then Nova's a 2

To this day, the only show I've enjoyed less than Dancougar Nova is bloody Great Dangaioh.
>>
>>13673773
>(you remember Nova's Bestial Mode, right? It did the thing with the trunk?

Yeah. That was awesome.
>>
>>13673510
nova is lame as fuck though
i mean opinions and all but OG beats it in design, cast, ost, villains, and much better episodes imo even if the pacing is slow. Slow pace is only a problem with weak writing and i find the dancouga team really carry the show through it.
>>
The ED should've been the OP.
>>
File: Only one facial expression.png (1 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Only one facial expression.png
1 MB, 960x720
>>13670990
>what are /m/'s thoughts on Dancouga

Shinobu's pink turtle-neck vs. Shapiro's space-toga.
Good OP/ED and transformation theme.
Frequent abuse of stock/looping animation.

It's alright.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.