[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much of the traditional Gundam fan orthodoxy do you agree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: 20130702140041d0f.jpg (86 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
20130702140041d0f.jpg
86 KB, 640x360
How much of the traditional Gundam fan orthodoxy do you agree with?

1. Char Aznable is the ultimate charismatic badass of the franchise.
2. MS 08th Team is among the best of the series and more Gundam should be like it.
3. Zeta Gundam is a masterpiece
4. Gundam ZZ is a disappointing follow-up to Zeta.
5. Gundam Wing is only liked because of nostalgia.
6. Gundam X is underrated.
7. The Cosmic Era Gundam series deserve all the hate and scorn they get.
8. Gundam 00 went downhill after season one.
9. Trying to reach an understanding with your enemy is bad and modern Gundam should stop it.
10. G-Reco is a work of misunderstood genuis that modern anime viewers are to shallow to get.
>>
Only 5 is right.
>>
>>13670534
>Gundam fan orthodoxy
GUNDAM POPE IS A LIE
>>
Omg number 10 is the biggest pile of shit I ever seen. I seen the entirity of G-Reco and that shit was worse than SEED.....no fuck that worse than SEED Destiny.

Stop trying to peddle this shit that G-Reco is good when by every account it is below even subpar. Not even the G-Recotards could convince their little brains that it is a masterpiece.
>>
>>13670534
>>
-which one, 0079 or CCA?
-fuck no
-Yes
-ZZ is fine by it's own
-yes
-yes, but F91 and V Gundam are just as underrated.
-yes
-I like the movie
-I feel that Tomino did right because it was lol tomino.
-G reco was shit but dam, it was pretty as fuck.
>>
>>13670534
>>
>>13670534
Almost nothing.
>>
1-No
2-No
3-Hell No
4-No
5-Yes
6-Decent but still in the bottom half of all Gundams
7-Yes
8) Yes
9) No
10) No
>>
>>13670534
1 is complete bullshit. He had enough charisma to lead Neo Nueu Returned Special Double Back Zeon, but that's about it, there have been more charismatic people in the franchise.

2 is also bullshit.

3 is bullshit if only because using the word "masterpiece" to describe any Gundam is kind of silly and possibly pretentious.

4's not right either, they're both decent enough.

5, no clue.

6, no clue.

7, no clue.

8, well, ok, this one's right, but it's not like it became complete shit after S1.

9 is bullshit.

10, no clue.

Also, saying this is "traditional Gundam fan orthodoxy" is bullshit, at least half of that is nontraditional or only is a thing on /m/'s jaded ass fanbase.
>>
>>13670534
take this shit to junkguild
>>
1. His shenanigans were interesting in the original but after that he just became a fucking clown.
2. No, and I don't think this a traditional opinion.
3. It's one of my favorites but it has its flaws, so no.
4. I liked it almost as much as the above.
5. Maybe if you're American.
6. No, it was weak and disappointing.
7. I dislike it but I don't agree with all the criticism it gets.
8. I never liked the first season that much so I wasn't really disappointed by the second as a whole. I hate the movie though.
9. It depends how it's done.
10. G-Reco a lot of qualities but also huge flaws, so I disagree.
>>
>>13670534
1: No
2: No
3: Yes
4: Yes
5: No
6: Yes
7: No
8: No
9: No
10: No
>>
>>13670534
I don't really agree with any of these.
>>
>>13670534
Almost none, why should I?
>>
>>13670616
>but after that he just became a fucking clown.
He tried to blow up a GM manufacturing plant in a covert ops mission in a bright red mobile suit and red officer uniform while all his subordinates were in black bodysuits and was sabotaged by children. One of those children was Katz
>>
>>13670534
1 no
2 no (who thinks this?)
3 I like it, but it's no masterpiece
4 yes
5 yes
6 I enjoyed it, but for all the good stuff there's a lot bogging it down
7 I like SEED for what it is, Stargazer is alright because it's short and didn't have time to self-destruct, Destiny is a pile of dogshit
8 yes
9 war is pretty bad so I can see why people want peace love and understanding
10 I didn't get it either!
>>
>>13670534
>1. Char Aznable is the ultimate charismatic badass of the franchise.
He's none of those things, but he's still one of my favourite characters
>2. MS 08th Team is among the best of the series and more Gundam should be like it.
Wrong on all accounts
>3. Zeta Gundam is a masterpiece
It's severely flawed but still pretty fucking good
>4. Gundam ZZ is a disappointing follow-up to Zeta.
Not really
>5. Gundam Wing is only liked because of nostalgia.
Not at all
>6. Gundam X is underrated.
Absolutely
>7. The Cosmic Era Gundam series deserve all the hate and scorn they get.
Haven't seen SEED
>8. Gundam 00 went downhill after season one.
I liked the 2nd season more because it was more traditional Gundam
>9. Trying to reach an understanding with your enemy is bad and modern Gundam should stop it.
Not at all
>10. G-Reco is a work of misunderstood genuis that modern anime viewers are to shallow to get.
I wouldn't call Tomino a genius, but it definitely is misunderstood and modern anime viewers, especially Western ones posting on 4chan, are genuinely too shallow to get it.
>>
>>13670534
1. No
2. HAHAHAHA
3. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. No
7. Yes
8. No, it was already bad
9. No
10. No, G-Reco is great show that modern anime viewers are to idiots too get.
>>
Why does everyone hate MS 08th team so much?
It's not one of the best by any means but why the hate?
>>
>>13671035
If we don't love it dearly then we clearly have to hate it.
Lurk moar faget
>>
>>13671038
this is the first time i've been on /m/ in years
I also haven't watched any Gundam in years but I want to get back into it
>>
>>13671046
Don't, it's all shit and you're not allowed to like any Gundam that's not committee approved by the Shitposting Council.
Go to any other board where you're actually allowed to like something.
>>
File: Artemis_A.jpg (904 KB, 1722x1200) Image search: [Google]
Artemis_A.jpg
904 KB, 1722x1200
>>13670534
> 1. Char Aznable is the ultimate charismatic badass of the franchise.
He's the ultimate charismatic pervert, sure.
>2. MS 08th Team is among the best of the series and more Gundam should be like it.
It works solely because of how nobtraditional it is, like G. We can't have every series be G.
It's very good.
"I watched Zeta without watching MSG because /V/ told me to."
It would have been a much better series if Heero were a madcunt the whole way through instead of just the beginning.
It's rated precisely where it deserves to be-- in the middle tier of "good, but not interesting."
This one is undeniably true.
Well, this too.
>9. Trying to reach an understanding with your enemy is bad and modern Gundam should stop it.
"I still haven't watched MSG despite moving from /V/ to /m/."
>10. G-Reco is a work of misunderstood genuis that modern anime viewers are to shallow to get.
Nigga I'm not even gonna comment on this one. How do you have a comment like this follow up the last one?
>>
In my experience, only people that don't really like gundam like 08th ms team that much.
>>
>>13671425
They're the same people who praise Thunderbolt saying
>Finally, I've been waiting for a Gundam like this!
>>
Only 6 and 8.

I do think CE deserves some hate, but there are some cool things in it. I also think G-Reco is has some pacing issues, but not to the point of MUH MISUNDERSTOOD MASTERPIECE.
>>
>>13670534
I disagree with 2, 4 and 9 (it should be well-performed and most of creators are failing that part).
Can't say anything about 6, 8 and 10
>>
>>13671425
I enjoyed the fights in 08th MS Team, particularly the Gouf battle , and it was pretty.

It definitely wasn't the best or among the best of the series in terms of plot or characters.
>>
>>13671425
Except I like Gundam and 08th MS Team is good IMO
>>
>>13670534
1: Haven't watched enough yet
2: Objectively, not the best but definitely in my top five
3: Good-ish but no. 00 Season 2 did the whole secret police thing better.
4. Don't know yet.
5: 50/50
6: Don't know yet.
7: God yes
8: Wrong. Most of /m/ doesn't realize it actually was following the natural progression of the plan.
9: Depends of the story
10: Wrong, too many logic holes in the first 5 episodes.
>>
>>13670534
1. Agree, but only in that he's the archetype for the charismatic baddie in the franchise. He's not my favourite 'badass' in the franchise though.
2. Not really. It was alright, but suffered from director death and felt confused. The low level fighting was fun though. The original series and films are what Gundam should be and the best OVA was 0080.
3. Disagree. Really disliked it the first time I went through it. Mellowed out a bit but it's janky and the background to it being made makes it feel like no one really wanted to be doing it.
4. Disagree. I liked ZZ, especially after the first bit.
5. Somewhat agree. Wing has its own merits, but to be honest when I watched it properly, I was living a childhood dream to be able to actually watch the entire series in the correct order rather than only be able to watch five or so episodes at any one time due to not having Cartoon Network at home and so had to watch it at other people's houses.
6. Agree. It's a solid series that suffers from being cancelled and not properly exploring what it could offer, but was enjoyable and not worthy of being as buried as it was.
7. Agree. SEED was cynical even for the francise and had genuine problems. Destiny is irredeemable.
8. Agree. The first season was interesting, the second suffered from Gundam-itis. Shouldn't have been a Gundam entry at all in my opinion. But that's true of many of the AUs.
9. The first Gundam didn't really have much understanding apart from psychic connections and such and even then it was resolved through violence. I think it is an issue and it's overused in modern stuff.
10. Partially agree. G-Reco was flawed in very real ways, but people's reaction to it was mind-boggling. It wasn't that hard to understand and I enjoyed it very much.
>>
>>13670534

1. No. He is the most interesting character in Gundam though.
2. It is a middle tiered series. People with a grunt fetish may be better off with Votoms.
3. It is my favorite Gundam allong with Turn-A, CCA and the 3rd MSG movie. I don't know about calling it a masterpiece though.
4. Somewhat yes, but it wasn't all bad.
5. No, Wing has some genuinely good points beneath all the insanity.
6. Yes and no. People tend to either not know what it is or totally overrate it. It was a good Gundam series, though it really lacked direction for the first half of the show.
7. No. Seed is actually pretty decent and the first 12 episode of Seed Destiny is actually really good.
8. Even the first season wasn't that great, it lives off of plot twists and Allelujah is an insufferable character.
9. Meh, don't care either way.
10. No. It was really good though and the haters usually don't have very good points.
>>
If that is the orthodoxy then call me luther
1. No, Paptimus is
2. No, Gundam shouldn't be like 08th MS team
3. Yes, its pretty good
4. No, ZZ is better
5. No comment
6. Yes, it is one of the best series
7. No comment
8. No comment
9. No, only casuals who think IBO is good like non-understanding stories
10. Yes
>>
>>13670534
1. Yes
2. No (the love story was retarded)
3. Partly, it's definitely good but wouldn't say exactly masterpiece
4. Yes
5. Wing is one of three Gundam series I haven't see
6. Not underrated but overlooked is the word you are looking for, mate
7. It's bad as hell but that's why it's so fascinating to watch. People should be fascinated by such badness.
8. No, the first season was as crappy as the second one
9. No, the idea is good. Modern Gundam should stop featuring pretty boy fighting against status quo organization and go back to full-military.
10. G-reco is a good show which had been though through. It's a regular 80s anime done 10s. Something we probably won't ever see again. It's also most genuinely fun Tomino so far. The series is fully optimistic. Most people seems to have problem with G-reco because they expected nowadays show. Which I cannot really blame them for since that's what you would expect. But Tomino managed to create such lovable blast from the past I'm willing to play his game. G-reco is fun and good.
>>
>>13670534
5, 6, and maybe 7 are correct. The rest is a load of bullshit.
>>
>>13670534
The only Gundam I really like are "first Gundam" and MSG:08th MS team.

And yeah Char is still the best after all these years. The red comet still burns as brightly as ever.
>>
>>13670534
No, but in Zeta he's one of the few people with common sense.

Haven't watched it yet.

Strongly agree.

I don't like it regardless of Zeta, but being Zeta's continuation certainly doesn't help its case.

I like it... As a silly B-movie tier show.

Never watched it, probably never will.

I liked some of the mecha designs and the music, that's it. I think SEED and Destiny are shit but I liked Stargazer, so there *is* something good about the setting.

DEFINITELY.

More like the writers shouldn't make that the whole concept of every new Gundam show.

I've watched the first two episodes and WTF'd hard at it. I'll give it a watch soon and see if it's shit, or just the usual Tomino show.
>>
>Gundam 00 went downhill after season one.
Somebody explain this to me.
>>
>>13670534
1. no
2. mecha-wise maybe, story-wise no
3. no
4. no (only possibly true if you answered yes in 3)
5. no
6. yes
7. no
8. no
9. no
10. the fuck
>>
11. As a fan of the original Mobile Suit Gundam, I don't feel the need to watch everything Gundam just because it is tied to the Gundam franchise. This applies to both UC and AU.
>>
>>13670534
No
No
No
Hell no
Personally, no
Yes
Seed is somewhat redeemable by itself. Destiny ruined everything.
Don't know
Purge the heretics
Kek
>>
>>13674920
A lot of people expressed dissatisfaction with how the story developed. Some of this dissatisfaction was entirely justified (sup Gagas, sup Bushido), but some of it was not (durr the 00 gundam is too powerful and solves everything by itself, never mind that the RX-78 has a higher MS kill count than it). I noticed when 00 was airing that many of the fan complaints stemmed from the plot of the second season not corresponding to fan speculations.

The reason this was particularly pronounced in the case of 00 was due to the delay between the first and second seasons; people here had nigh-daily threads speculating about what was going to happen and invested a great deal of effort into turning their expectations into elaborate theories. It's natural they would be upset when Wang Liu Mei didn't turn out to be a Machiavellian mastermind character as opposed to a spoiled rich girl and Ali didn't somehow worm his way into being the final boss after killing everyone else in the antagonist cast.
>>
>>13670534
>>
>>13670534

Nope.

To a certain degree.

Good but not a masterpiece

For only 1st 19 episodes. Rest is as per Zeta

Maybe but I watched it 1 year ago.

Yes.

Need to call out things that were really bad is necessary but I do think that the setting has potential and interesting things that could go very well in able hands.
but then Japan isn't going to like it without Jesus Yamato,so it's doomed.

It wasn't that bad but wasn't good like s1 either

As long as it is done right and naturally instead of shown in childish and immature way, I don't mind.

Not a masterpiece but I agree it required imagination , co-relation to real world and previous themes and politics of previous shows to get maximum out of it.
Which was easy with very little effort.
>>
>>13670534
After reading The Origin, I've come to the conclusion that Casval is a psychopath. Reusing the archetype via "clones" is lame, though. Char itself has become part of the obnoxious inbreeding the franchise suffers from, perfectly manifested in Full Frontal.

Only visually. Characterization suffers a lot.

(no comment)

(no comment except for Judau being a dick)

It has excellent mecha and character design. That's more than you can say of certain modern Gundam series.

It deserves more discussion, but the core plot itself is nothing to call home about.

99% true. The original SEED is just as bad as Destiny, so anything about SEED being "decent by itself" (>>13673365, >>13671009, >>13675035) is bullshit. The only exception is Stargazer.

True, regardless of reasons. Got infected with retarded Gundam inbreeding.

It's obnoxious rather than "bad". Another lame reuse of concepts.

>10. G-Reco is a work of misunderstood genius that modern anime viewers are to shallow to get.
(no comment, except for Yoshida's character designs being pretty nice)
>>
>>13675267
What was good about Stargazer? It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>13670562
so what dot you like anon im curious :^)
>>
tfw 90% of this thread is just hipsterism
the entire cosmic era isnt that bad it's just sd and kira desu.
>>
File: 1444152154596.jpg (58 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
1444152154596.jpg
58 KB, 540x405
Sure, why not.
Not even close.
Maybe.
Yes. Even if you think the series itself is good, it's terrible if treated as a sequel to Zeta.
Yes.
Not really, I found it terribly stale and unoriginal.
Probably.
Sure. Not like season one was THAT good though.
Depends. Kio-tier understanding is terrible, but it can be done well.
Nope, just garbage. Bare bones excuse of a story stuck in an overbuild world.
>>
>>13670534
1. no
2. i like it but it's not objectively good
3. no
4. never watched it
5. meh
6. yes
7. Stargazer did nothing wrong, SEED was mediocre but not terrible, never watched Destiny
8. yes but i didn't mind it
9. meh
10. it was nowhere near a masterpiece but i liked it
>>
>>13670534
Check
This is really only an opinion widely held by people who've never touched another Gundam series. 08th went to shit once it started focusing on the romance.
Well, it is.
I'd go a step further and say it's a pile of shit and people only like it because they're either retarded or contrarian.
This is true.
Having just watched X recently I can wholeheartedly agree with this. The people that call X boring just want to see shit blowing up every five seconds.
They deserve more than the hate and scorn they get.
Can I half check this one? I'll agree it went down hill, but I don't think the second season is unwatchable, just not as impressive or fresh.
Hell no, reaching an understanding is what Gundam is founded on. It's never been a "shoot the bad guy to win" series. Now that doesn't mean that UNDERSTANDING has to succeed, or turn the MC into a hypocritical douche. But I think there need to be some amount of sympathy for both sides to have a good gundam series.
Kinda halfs on this one too, I was all on board with G-Reco until the ending happened. Looking back it was all building up to completely nothing. I'm not even mad, it's more of an oddity than anything else.
>>
>>13670534
5 and 6. I can't comment on 10 because I haven't watched G-Reco yet.
>>
>>13675294
It's a pretty nice for what it is: a 40-minute long OVA.

Let me put it this way: in that time, you feel more for Sven than anything for Shiin during 18 hours, or Kira, Athrun or Lacus on a day and a half.
>>
fucking hiveminded 4chan why do I even come here.
>>
>>13670534
That's not Master Asia.
No, but its an interesting diversion nonetheless.
No, but it probably has the most well developed characters
>4. Gundam ZZ is a disappointing follow-up to Zeta
No, I enjoy humor.
>5. Gundam Wing is only liked because of nostalgia
Yes, mostly, but there are some newer fans who like it.
Yes, but the show isn't exactly hot shit either.
No, just Destiny.
No, both seasons and movie form a complete story, and are equally good.
Depends on the context and reasoning behind why it's done.
Not as bad as haters make it out to be, but not the greatest thing since Turn A either.
>>
>>13670534
>traditional Gundam fan orthodoxy
Honestly never seen another person hold all of these specific opinions.

> 1. Char Aznable is the ultimate charismatic badass of the franchise.
Charasmatic and likeable. A good character but not a 'badass'. Maybe a 'glorious motherfucker' if you want to use such Americanisms, but a 'badass' is a one-liner dropping cheese machine, and that ain't Char.
Yes. Fuck the hivemind on this one 08'th is great, dispite the 0079 revisionism that it contains. It would be pretty much flawless in my eyes if the Gundams were GMs/cannons
Zeta is good. ZZ is Zeta's second half and roughly equal in quality. Neither is a masterpiece, first Gundam is what a masterpiece looks like.
No. Not nostalgia. Because of it's great BGM.
Is the moon out?
Yeah, pretty much. Again, good music. Few good episodes early on in Destiny but as a whole it's crap.
Correct. Quite so. But was still enjoyable in the end. Never turned to pure shit like the hivemind thinks.
It is an overused cliche so I don't want to see it again. It's not a bad idea but it's yet to be used well. You can't achieve understanding with those who won't listen.
No, it's pretty much standard Tomino wackiness. As usual he's created a great setting and an interesting world but has no clue how to craft a story and let his scriptwriters do their work.
>>
>>13670534
>>
>>13670534
>1.
no
>2.
the less Romeo and Julliet in space the better in my book.
>3.
yes
>4.
it's fine
>5.
If there's one thing I know, it's that people will dig all kinds of things even if I don't understand how.
>6.
it has an unfulfilling end thanks to an early cancellation. It can't be underrated.
>7.
yeah
>8.
yeah
>9.
Depends on who's writing, and how disgusting they've made the enemy
>10
This is just shitposting talk
>>
Charismatic - yes, he is. Very much so.
Badass - no. He is a murderous mega-lo-maniac asshole. If you find 0079 or CCA Char a likeable character, then you have problems. Zeta Char is a bit better.

Among the best - yes.
More should be like it - no. One Vietnam war Gundam is enough.

Yes.

No. It starts rather goofy, but gets much better. Actually, at it's peak (Dublin colony drop arc) it is better that Zeta.

Not sure. I have no nostalgia for Wing and I still liked it.

Dunno. I see a lot of love for it on /m/.

No. SEED is just a mediocre series with nice music and good designs here and there. First episodes of Destiny (until the end of colony drop) are actually pretty good.
And also there is Astray. Astray is awesome.

Sort of. But a very slow pace. Movie, however, jumped right of the cliff instead of gradually goind downhill, though.

Turn-A did understanding between humans very well.
AoTB did undertanding between humans and aliens not so well. I blame movie format.
So, I want them to try and do understanding between humans and aliens again, since Turn-A hit the spot with understanding between humans.

Don't know, haven't finished G-Reco. Dropped it after 5 or so episodes since I wasn't impressed by it at all.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.