[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powerplants
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: Mecha reactors.png (288 KB, 1568x945) Image search: [Google]
Mecha reactors.png
288 KB, 1568x945
Quick research I made on what powers mecha on a number of series.

I'm interested in filling out the blanks, but if you know of anything else, feel free to add.
>>
G Gundam and Gurren Lagann - Fighting Spirit
>>
>>13670153
most labors run off electric battery, a few on diesel engines
>>
You forgot Mazinger Z running off photon energy and Getter Robo running off getter rays
>>
>>13670169
Turn A Gundam - Black Hole(?)
>>
>>13670153
Walkers from Xabungle = Diesel
>>
>>13670153
A slight note.

VFs like the VF-0 and SV-51 uses good ol' jet engines.
>>
>>13670186
I remembered that, but I still find it a bit... iffy that a regular turbine can power a VF, even for a limited period.
>>
>>13670176
>most labors run off electric battery, a few on diesel engines
Any source on that?
>>
>>13670204
But they're right you fucking autist.
>>
>>13670190
You could do it by ripping the spinners off an SR-71. The problem with jet engines stopped being power output a long time ago.
>>
Flag from 00 is using hydrogen to fuel its hydrogen plasma jet engine. Of course it needs electricity to move its actuator and power the system; but being half aircraft thrust comes first before electricity.
>>
>>13670153

VOTOMs run on something called Polymer Ringers Solution, which is like Hydraulic Fluid and fuel built into one. Its also highly explosive, which is why they blow up so easily (unless Chirico is in them).

The details are in the VOTOMs RPG book, which is also an episode guide. Not a great RPG, but a good guide to the original series.
>>
>>13670190
>>13670233

But where is the thousands of litres of fuel that type of turbojet needs for sustained flight? I'm pretty sure that VFs use some kind of thermonuclear engine, but I can't recall any exact details.

>>13670241
The Flag uses something called E-Carbon Armor, which basically means that its armor soaks up the hydrogen fuel and hold it inert until needed. It means there's no actual fuel tank, and little risk of explosion if damaged.
>>
>>13670247
>Its also highly explosive, which is why they blow up so easily (unless Chirico is in them).

well, that and explosions are easier to animate than broken VOTOMs
>>
>>13670262
Same as any fighter, wherever you can fit it.
>>
>>13670196
the show
>>
Ideon - Folly
>>
>>13670262
>But where is the thousands of litres of fuel that type of turbojet needs for sustained flight?
You squeeze them everywhere, like a real jet. The later VFs probably do the same thing with their propellant as well.
The VF-0s are stated to have tuned up jet engines.

>I'm pretty sure that VFs use some kind of thermonuclear engine, but I can't recall any exact details.
Every VF except the VF-0 and SV-51 uses thermonuclear.
>>
>>13670211
fuck off alongside >>13670169 & >>13670179
>>
For SEED's battery MS, the battery is most probably in the torso, though it should be noted that the Strike's striker packs have external batteries that can plug into the MS's power system and basically recharge the Strike.
>>
File: Poertrain-Electric-1.jpg (96 KB, 1280x782) Image search: [Google]
Poertrain-Electric-1.jpg
96 KB, 1280x782
>>13670397
Remember that the battery and engines are two different things. You need something to convert electrical energy into kinetic energy.
>>
File: Susanoo_yon-ki.png (2 MB, 4500x1020) Image search: [Google]
Susanoo_yon-ki.png
2 MB, 4500x1020
I'd really want to know what exactly powers MuvLuv's TSFs. Despite all the information in Integral Works, I can't find anything about engines, reactors, powerplants. The only one we know is the Susanoo's Moorcock-Lechte Engine, which is fueled by Gray Element 11, some sort of gravity-distorting substance.

As for regular TSFs, nothing. And jump units are not the same as the main chassis' engine.
>>
>>13670247
>The details are in the VOTOMs RPG book, which is also an episode guide.

And in Pailsen Files.
>>
>>13670380
This is a chart that lists "hollow daemonic entity" as a power source. TOTALLY REAL GUYS, UNLIKE THAT GETTER RAY NONSENSE
>>
>>13670746
>implying you've never gone to the store to get a pack of hollow daemonic entities for the remote when you run out
>>
>>13670431
They ARE powered from gas-turbine generators. So, yep, quite common jet fuel rules the battlefield.
>>
>>13670153
>Mospeada

The mecha in Mospeada (Ride Armors and Armo-Soldiers) run on a "composite hydrogen fuel" called HBT. What it stands for is unclear... except that each letter of H-B-T is one later in the alphabet than G-A-S.
>>
>>13670773
>FAIL
>grumpy cat
This is 4chan. Go away back to rebbit, dumblr, gaia or any other place that accepts faggots.
>>
File: Gasaraki_V4_inside_english.jpg (227 KB, 1064x800) Image search: [Google]
Gasaraki_V4_inside_english.jpg
227 KB, 1064x800
>>13670746
In and on itself, Gasaraki is a real robot show. You have tactics, real-life weapons, real-life politics, vehicles such as tanks, helicopters, APCs, etc. None of that appears in Getter Robo, G Gundam or TTGL.

It's just a lamentable fact that the Tactical Armors happen to be demons.
>>
>>13670380
Really, faggot?
>>
>>13671107
fuck off
>>
File: 047.jpg (862 KB, 1635x2331) Image search: [Google]
047.jpg
862 KB, 1635x2331
>>13670431
>They ARE powered from gas-turbine generators
Anything to corroborate that? The information on Integral Works only shows the inner workings of Jump Units, not TSF powerplants.
>>
>>13670944
I may just be a cynic, but 20 foot tall demons are more believable to me than pocket fusion reactors at this point.
>>
>>13670944
Several of those do appear in one of those you listed. And why is that fact "lamentable"?
>>
So, if Getter 1's reactor is in its chest, that means it's Jaguar's payload, right? So then what powers Eagle and Bear?
>>
>>13670944
>In and on itself, Gasaraki is a real robot show. You have tactics, real-life weapons, real-life politics, vehicles such as tanks, helicopters, APCs, etc.
>None of that appears in Getter Robo, G Gundam or TTGL.
Uh
>>
File: gallery-1450722678-ecat-2.jpg (42 KB, 768x455) Image search: [Google]
gallery-1450722678-ecat-2.jpg
42 KB, 768x455
>>13671149
>I may just be a cynic, but 20 foot tall demons are more believable to me than pocket fusion reactors at this point.

Things are looking pretty sweet thus far:
>There were two reports (in 2013 and 2014) on tests of Rossi’s device by teams of Swedish and Italian physicists whose scientific credentials are not in doubt, and who had access to one of his devices for extended periods (a month for the second test).
>Both reports claimed levels of excess heat far beyond anything explicable in chemical terms, in the testers’ view. (The second report also claimed isotopic shifts in the composition of the fuel.)
>Since then, there have been several reports of duplications by experimenters in Russia and China, guided by details in the 2014 report.
>There are credible reports that a 1MW version of his device, producing many times the energy that it consumes, has been on trial in an industrial plant in North Carolina for months, with good results so far.
>Finally, very recently, there’s a paper by two senior Swedish physicists, Rickard Lundin and Hans Lidgren, proposing a mechanism for Rossi’s results, inspired in part by the second of two test reports mentioned above. Lundin and Lidgren say that the ‘experimental results by Rossi and co-workers and their E-Cat reactor provide the best experimental verification’ of the process they propose.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-do-scientists-dismiss-the-possibility-of-cold-fusion
>>
>>13671589
>And why is that fact "lamentable"?
It distracts from what it a very fine real robot show with a tacky explanation that the revolutionary robots are actually powered by "lol ancient magic rituals xD", solely for the sake of following on Evangelion's footsteps in the late 90s and Takahashi doing his nationalist Nipponese tract.
>>
>>13670153
While technically actuated by artificial musculature derived from ancient biomechanical giant armors, tactical armors are battery powered, if I recall correct.

At least, this is the case for Gowa TA models. The prominent shoulder fins of the Raiden and Shinden are battery packs or something.

The Metal Fakes of Symbol might differ in that regard considering they're built using a comparatively inferior sample of the Mile One musculature and would likely compensate elsewhere. Not to mention how zippy and vehicular they are compared to Gow TAs which plod around like infantry.

Though if you want to be truly pedantic a lot of it goes out the window once you let the full force of Kai bullshit manifest wherein it's like psychic tentacles or some shit powered by God knows what but that only applies to the kugai armors or that one time where Yushiro does the thing against an Ishtar in the penultimate episode.
>>
File: memento_1050_591_81_s_c1[1].jpg (39 KB, 1050x591) Image search: [Google]
memento_1050_591_81_s_c1[1].jpg
39 KB, 1050x591
>>13672174
>Rossi
Nope.
>>
>>13670944
Yeah I'm gonna have to go with >>13672019
>>
>>13672382
I doubt that, in this day and age, a con can last for so long without conclusive debunking.
>>
>>13672385
>Yeah I'm gonna have to go with >>13672019
And what does "Uh" is supposed to mean? It's two letters. Not a proper explanation or even an argument.

The facts remain that Gasaraki is a real robot show (despite the "ancient demon armor" thing) contextualized in a contemporary conflict.
Whereas excrement like Getter Robo and G Gundam are stupid super robot shows where only the protagonists do anything of value through stupid toyetic theatricals, while everything and everyone else gets wiped out by the bad guys, especially the "regular forces" that are supposed to be relevant and useful. I'd argue this applies to a lot of mecha anime in greater or lesser degrees.
>>
File: kamille.jpg (11 KB, 180x280) Image search: [Google]
kamille.jpg
11 KB, 180x280
>>13670773
How's the autism, Kamille?
>>
>>13672426
>And what does "Uh" is supposed to mean? It's two letters.
Uh guy here. It means that G Gundam, Getter Robo, and TTGL all have tactics, real-life weapons, real-life politics, vehicles such as tanks, helicopters, APCs.
>>
>>13672528
Getter Robo has real-life politics? Gurren-Lagann has real-life vehicles that aren't robots? G Gundam has battlefield tactics that go beyond "punch that guy until defeat"?

You're full of shit.
>>
File: 1239588535934.jpg (18 KB, 480x356) Image search: [Google]
1239588535934.jpg
18 KB, 480x356
Both GEAR Fighters are powered by giant batteries
>>
>>13672706
>real-life pol
JAPS
>>
>>13672706
>Getter Robo has real-life politics?
As much as Gasaraki does.
>Gurren-Lagann has real-life vehicles that aren't robots?
Remember the episode where Kittan almost died heroically? One of his friends has a Jeep, not to mention the helicopter Rossiu rides multpile times.
>G Gundam has battlefield tactics that go beyond "punch that guy until defeat"?
Nice goalposts
>>
File: VVG-151.jpg (548 KB, 1113x1562) Image search: [Google]
VVG-151.jpg
548 KB, 1113x1562
>>13670153
>>13670247

According to pic, Armored Troopers run on batteries, and IIRC, isn't Polymer Ringers Solution only to make Armored Troopers use their limbs?
>>
>>13672843
Dendoh doesn't have real-life politics or actual tactics and the one motorcycle don't count much for real vehicles. Fuck off and don't come back.
>>
File: Getter-Robo-Go-03-0032.png (248 KB, 808x1300) Image search: [Google]
Getter-Robo-Go-03-0032.png
248 KB, 808x1300
>>13672706
>Getter Robo has real-life politics?
>>
>>13673044
That's the manga. You're cheating.
>>
>>13670153
>UC
>Thermonuclear reactor

>Wing
>ultra compact fusion reactor

>Minovsky ultracompact fusion reactor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Century_technology

??????
>>
File: 81z6DydUa6L._AA1470_.jpg (314 KB, 1470x1470) Image search: [Google]
81z6DydUa6L._AA1470_.jpg
314 KB, 1470x1470
>>13672986
>Powerplants
>Quick research I made on what powers mecha on a number of series.
>I'm interested in filling out the blanks, but if you know of anything else, feng of iiel free to add.
>Picture posted mentions nothing of "real-life politics or actual tactics"

Fell free to go fuck yourself whenever you get the chance.
Zambot 3 is powered by an Ion Engine
>>
>>13673069
You never said the manga wasn't allowed.

Anyway, on the subject of the OP: Dancouga runs on a special fuel that I forget precisely what it is, but it's extremely expensive, and the Gandor runs on a massive... IIRC it's a nuclear engine? Ryus from Ryu Knight run off a form of naturally occurring magic in their world, though if they ever go underground (it's in the atmosphere, not so much underneath it) they can slap on storage units of the stuff extra. Dai Guard most likely runs on a massive internal battery, one that has to be charged up externally (Which we see early in the show), though later on when it gains the ability for each part to fly to the assembly location it might have changed to a fuel based engine.
>>
Code Geass Knightmare Frames run on Sakuradite
>>
>>13673189
It's in the OP.

Was Sakuradite a crystal or an oil?
>>
>>13673220
It's a pink stone thing (according to side material, some of it was found around Stonehenge and was the basis of the Philosopher's Stone myths) that is an incredible superconductor.

If you shove pieces of it together it blows up in much the same way nuclear material does, so I dunno.
>>
>>13671119

I thought machine action was powered by batteries, like the large cockpit exoskeleton, combat exoskeleton, and the cockpit seat exoskeleton. Though, one of the Shiranui 1C's upgrades in attempting to adapt it for the eventual EML-99X is a "generator" upgrade.

The amphibious A-12 Avenger, however, is stated to run on a nuclear reactor, and is propelled by some kind of "silent" magnetohydrodynamic drive when underwater.
>>
>>13673069
>>13670944
>>13672226
>>13672426
Hey bro, like, can you kill yourself? Gotta cut off the tumor before it spreads.
Thanks.
>>
>>13670153
Armored Troopers run on explodium
>>
>>13673107
>??????
I thought it was going to be basic physics.
"THERMONUCLEAR" IS ALWAYS A FORM OF FUSION ENERGY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermonuclear
>>
>>13674314
That's Leo from Gundam Wings.
>>
>>13673281
>The amphibious A-12 Avenger, however, is stated to run on a nuclear reactor, and is propelled by some kind of "silent" magnetohydrodynamic drive when underwater.

Something something something Hunt for Red October much?
>>
>>13670305

...of who?
>>
WE HAVE ARRIVED TO SPREAD THE GOOD NEWS!

HAVE YOU ACCEPTED PROTOCULTURE AS YOUR FUEL AND POWERSOURCE?
>>
>>13675163
but why call one ultra compact and the other thermonuclear when the source material calls the one being called thermonuclear ultra compact
>>
>>13676588
I power up on idorus and butt rock every morning.
>>
>>13676694
WELL, WE HAVE A WONDERFUL MESSAGE FOR YOU, BROTHER!

IF YOU WERE TO ACCEPT PROTOCULTURE INTO YOUR STORAGE CELL, YOU WOULD BECOME PART OF A GLOBAL BROTHERHOOD, THE CHURCH OF ROBOTECHNOLOGY!

WE HAVE LITERATURE FOR YOU TO PERUSE AT YOUR LEISURE!
>>
File: dro.jpg (131 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
dro.jpg
131 KB, 500x376
>>13676705
>>13676588

should I be reading this in his voice?
>>
>>13672960

This fellow is correct!
>>
File: Minovskyfusionreactor.jpg (71 KB, 442x523) Image search: [Google]
Minovskyfusionreactor.jpg
71 KB, 442x523
>>13676664
I wanted the column to look good on Excel, all right?! Aesthetics. That's why I removed "ultracompact" from the UC units.
>>
In Genesis, most zoids run on a liquid fuel source. This isn't true of other series, though.
>>
>>13676726
>Season 6 is finally starting in about a month
I'm hype. You hype?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.