[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outside of having what I assume is a built in escape pod, do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11
Outside of having what I assume is a built in escape pod, do mobile suits with a Core Fighter have any advantage over mobile suits without one?
>>
>>13649331
Have you actually seen any of the series where a core fighter is used?
>>
>>13649342
I've seen G Gundam and part of 0079.
>>
File: water.webm (3 MB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
water.webm
3 MB, 600x336
Ejector seats that can fly you away are pretty useful

>>13649342
Greco but it wasn't used that mucch
>>
>>13649331
The chief advantage is the escape pod. If you have spare sets of parts, you can also use them to conduct rapid field repairs by ejecting a damaged component and replacing it with a fresh one, possibly using the damaged component as a ramming weapon like Usso does at times. However, unless you have very few pilots and a lot of spare parts, this tactic is impractical compared to just building another Core Fighter and getting another complete mobile suit on the field.
>>
Core fighters aren't the only kind of escape pods btw. Later mobile suits have built-in escape pods like the round thingy Char uses in CCA.
>>
File: ambush.jpg (224 KB, 1032x1544) Image search: [Google]
ambush.jpg
224 KB, 1032x1544
>>13649331
MIND GAMES
>>
>>13649374
they have those since..zeta?
>>
>>13649331
From an engineering standpoint, modular design is great, especially for anything that has non-durable parts. In the canon, core fighters sacrifice hit rate for pilot survivability. which means >>13649353 has a good point. But this is just theoretical, you would need to know specific kda's of pilots to have an understanding of the militaristic advantage of core vs non-core, or the damage incurred to damage inflicted monetary estimates to have an understanding of the economic advantage of core vs non-core.
>>
>>13649342
>>
>>13649331
Outside of MS, the Federation realized the Core Booster was pretty much the BEST FUCKING THING EVER! and shit out a ton of them.
The Core Boosters promptly kicked Zeon's teeth in.
>>
>>13649349
I forgot the G-Self even had a Core Fighter.
>>
>>13649331

Ironically, SEED Destiny probably had the best idea on how to use the Core fighter system with the Impulse Gundam.
Parts getting damaged? Swap them out for new ones.
Need more long ranged firepower? Swap out for Launcher parts. Etc etc.
Really good idea, when the animators or Fukuda could remember it existed.
>>
>>13649463
>Parts getting damaged? Swap them out for new ones.
So Victory?
>>
>>13649476

Yeah I guess. Although the Impulse kind of used the modular parts concept more with all the different Impulse packs.
>>
>>13649342
Victory.
>>
>>13649331
The original Core Fighter held the Learning Computer inside and its primary function was to rescue the Learning Computer, not the pilot. All of the V-project MS had it as a result.

>>13649349
This was the moment I realized RG is stupidly advanced.
>>
>>13649463
SEED had (and forgot about) the same thing. The Sky Grasper was supposed to deliver new packs and batteries to the Strike as resupply but instead it mostly just flew around pew-pewing (until it got shielded out of the sky).
>>
File: CoreFighterGundam.jpg (58 KB, 375x560) Image search: [Google]
CoreFighterGundam.jpg
58 KB, 375x560
>>
>>13649479
Impulse took lessons from V Gundam and worked them into the RX78 archetype.
>>
>>13649331

Eh, it's an escape pod that can actually fight and maneuver if it has to. Remember how useless the Sazabi's pod was? Amuro just snatched it up and planted it on the surface of Axis right as it was ejected.
>>
>>13649826
Saved Yazan's life
>>
>>13649353
>Spare set of parts
>Having literally an entire mobile suit except for the controls as a spare
This is dumb.
>>
>>13649842
Except the main reactor, mostly. And you generally would have spare parts for basically the entire machine if you intended to operate it in combat, unless you are ready to go back to base to resupply any time something breaks.

That's basically what happens in ZZ as well, the Argama gets resupplied with a new Mk.II and Hyaku Shiki because La Vie en Rose has entire warehouse of spare parts for the things they may as well put together.
>>
>>13649814
>but instead it mostly just flew around pew-pewing (until it got shielded out of the sky).
Well, except for the times when they decided it would be a good idea to attach the sword pack to it.
>>
>>13649917
Yet they couldn't find the time to cobble together a second G-Defenser.
>>
>>13649988
You would have thought that they would have came up with a new gimmick to sell on other mobile suits
>>
>>13649349
>G-reco where even core fighters are stupidly broken
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (44 KB, 400x253) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
44 KB, 400x253
Some Zakus have a corefighter.

The backpack and the cockpit are a folded up and smaller version of the Zeon fighter plane.
>>
>>13649408
>From an engineering standpoint, modular design is great, especially for anything that has non-durable parts.

It seems like any advantage gained from modular construction of the mobile suit would be offset by the engineering challenges (and extra mass and moving parts) involved in making your modular cockpit a fully functioning air/spacecraft.
>>
>>13649349
>water compression
Holy shit.
>>
>>13650139
isn't the foldable dopp is for Gouf
>>
>>13649950
Sword-Skygrasper is cool.

Launcher Skygrasper is the most useful though.
>Heavy firepower, even for a MS at the time
>On a small, quick, semi-agile platform
>>
>>13649826
Amuro commited a war crime by doing that for sure
>>
Another advantage is that the Core Fighter can basically function as a small fighter and do anything a fighter can do until you need a MS.
Like that one time in Destiny where Shinn flew through a cave in the Core Splendor and then combined into the Impulse upon getting out of the cave and wrecked shit behind the enemy's defence line.
>>
>>13650865
As long as you're Mwu.
Cagalli got shot down in one of those, while Tolle got killed.
>>
>>13650886
To be fair, they flew the second Skygrasper while Mwu flew the first Skygrasper.

The second one is probably cursed or something
>>
>>13650172
Don't confuse modular design with combining mecha. Being able to strap parts onto a morvabul frame doesn't make them much heavier, while making your entire MS able to work as separate flying vehicles requires each of them to have propulsion and control mechanisms (which generally get closed up inside the mecha and can't even be used after combining).

The original core fighter used the two engines for power generation somehow but the Gundam was still carrying around wings, machine guns, missiles and some armour that couldn't actually be used by the MS.
>>
>>13649390
Yes. Also the Zeong's head could detach, if you count that.
>>
>>13650872
At that point Neo-Zeon had flat-out lied about their intentions and launched a drop operation on Earth and Bright and Cameron broke out some illegal nukes.

Comparatively speaking, Amuro's misdeeds are kind of minor.
>>
File: killing char denied.webm (2 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
killing char denied.webm
2 MB, 1920x1040
>>13650872
He was also fully willing to murder Char even before his peace treaty was proven to be a sham
>>
>>13650872

He died anyways. Can't hold a dead man accountable for any perceived war crimes.
>>
>>13650959
>Don't confuse modular design with combining mecha. Being able to strap parts onto a morvabul frame doesn't make them much heavier

I wasn't meaning to, was just pointing out that I don't think the benefits of modular design really apply to the whole core fighter idea.
>>
File: gf13-017nj-corelander.jpg (9 KB, 300x204) Image search: [Google]
gf13-017nj-corelander.jpg
9 KB, 300x204
You know what's cooler than core fighters?
>>
>>13651013
>be trained soldier
>be psychic
>can't keep a grip on his gun with a small girl bumps into him
Amuro you suck at this
>>
>>13651013
>KARATE CHOP
>>
>>13650139

The mini-Dopp in that one MSV Zaku can't dock back though, it's a glorified escape pod.
>>
File: 1437227304013.jpg (137 KB, 790x843) Image search: [Google]
1437227304013.jpg
137 KB, 790x843
>>13650976

Always wondered why Yazan was specifically shown to have survived.
Guy was an antagonist, but not the kind that's important to the plot, more like the bloodthirsty kind of guy that's meant to die, and shit, Kamillu goes full newtype on his ass. Yet the damn guy lives, against all story conventions. Did Tomino want to show that assholes can live where the good guys die because it's war and shit?
>>
>>13652193
maybe yazan is tomino's murderous persona
>>
>>13652193
I think he just wanted Kamille to only outright murder Jerid and Scirocco.
>>
File: untitled_by_blayaden-d6c4o29.jpg (142 KB, 1032x774) Image search: [Google]
untitled_by_blayaden-d6c4o29.jpg
142 KB, 1032x774
>>13649331
> Superior Defender
Then again, it's DeviantArt so
>>
>>13649349
>compressed water
Loving every laugh.
I mean no, the idea is cool and the execution is great, but still.
>>
>>13652289
Much like other people, I grabbed a random image from Google.
>>
>>13649988
>Yet they couldn't find the time to cobble together a second G-Defenser.
I think even the original RX-78-2 had nearly all its most important and expensive components in the corefighter. So basically it isn't just an escape pod, but also allow the valuable parts to survive and be reused. This came from how the RX-78-2 had a computer that stores combat data for analysis.
>>
>>13650139
That was a your and if I recall correctly there was only one made. Also couldn't dock back so it was really just an armed flying escape pod.
>>
>>13649988
>>13650007
isn't that basically what the mega rider was for? replaces both the hyaku shiki's mega bazooka launcher and the g-defensor for something that does both roles and is compatible with anything that can fit on it, even the chunky ZZ plus another MS
>>
>>13652193

>Killing the best character in UC

He is literally carrying the MSV-R comic. Amnesia Ridden just isn't as interesting. I hope he woudl show up more in side-stories
>>
File: P3283596.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
P3283596.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>13652289
Bandai released normal series Gundams in the SDGF toy line, don't fucking ask me why though. I have the GP02 from when they clearanced the balls off of fucking everything.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.