[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Only 26 episodes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: RX-78_GFF_front.png (353 KB, 433x605) Image search: [Google]
RX-78_GFF_front.png
353 KB, 433x605
How much different would mecha anime be if they followed the current trend of 26 episodes? How might the story and reception of them been?
>>
>>13643877
Dougram in 26 episodes would have been pretty bad, I think. Too little time to expand on everything.
>>
Gundam would have never taken off, for one, it practically needed 50 episodes in the first place, and yet it only got 43 and thus the final arc was a bit rushed.
>>
Most 80s and 90s anime followed the 2 cour (24~26 episodes) story-arc format too. It's just that they are broadcasted continuously with a recap episode right in the middle. Stuff like Gundam 00 and Code Geass were essentially the same thing but with the 2 arcs broadcasted separately.

Rushed endings you see in Gundam 0079, Ideon, Layzner etc. are due to their 2nd story arc being written for 25-ish episodes but later being cancelled and forced to wrap things up in only 1 cour's length.
>>
G Reco
>>
>>13643972
this desu
>>
>>13643877
>current trend of 26 episodes

Honestly I'd say the current trend is single cour. Not much actually starts slated as two cour anymore (much less four or more.)
>>
>>13643887
>it practically needed 50 episodes

No it didn't. The pacing of the show is slow. A lot of it was melodrama filler that contributed nothing to plot or character development. Same goes for Zeta.
>>
>>13644373
The movies are SUPERIOR (agreed on by /m/, /a/, MAL, ANN and even freaking Japan!!!) There were no boring icky filler episodes (>.<) that develop important characters and they fixed the GODAWFUL animation and made it look SPECTACULARLY AMAZING in the movies.
Remember:
>no salt
>no Doan's Island (worst episode of anything ever amirite)
>less Bright
>films are at a reasonable length of 2 and a half, sometimes nearly 3 hours, each. Instead of the show with the story presented in dumb, not hard to digest 25 minute spurts
>animation improved 100x
>no filler
>no salt
>no filler
>i can't focus on a single thing for a extended period of time so i just want all the bits and pieces fed to me in a single sitting
>i can't stand episodes that don't advance the plot
>saltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsaltsalt
>>
>>13644374
Even the movies were shit.
>>
>>13644374
>being this triggered

Sorry, bro. But the shows and the movies were both shitty. The fact that that the shows can be compressed into a few hours just proves how much fat could be cut, but the movies were so poorly edited that compromise the narrative.

The point is that you don't need to drag something out for 50 episodes or 20+ hours to tell the story. 25-ish episodes should be enough. If that seems like too little for plot development, character development, and world building, then the your problem is shit writing.
>>
>>13644419
>The fact that that the shows can be compressed into a few hours
Except they weren't.

>The point is that you don't need to drag something out for 50 episodes or 20+ hours to tell the story. 25-ish episodes should be enough. If that seems like too little for plot development, character development, and world building, then the your problem is shit writing.
Or maybe I WANT episodic plots? Because I'm not an ADHD fucktard that can't focus on a long story?
>>
>>13644424
>Except they weren't.

Yes. They were. Deal with it.

>Or maybe I WANT episodic plots? Because I'm not an ADHD fucktard that can't focus on a long story?

Shit strawman, bro. No one said anything about not having "episodic plots." That's just your neurotic personality trying to defend your ego and making you think that is what was meant.

The problem is the pacing. All throughout 0079 and Zeta the story was slowed down to a crawl to contribute nothing (or re-enforce, but add nothing new) to character, plot, or the world. That is, by definition, filler in the art of story telling.
>>
>>13644419
>The point is that you don't need to drag something out for 50 episodes or 20+ hours to tell the story. 25-ish episodes should be enough. If that seems like too little for plot development, character development, and world building, then the your problem is shit writing.

Honestly, most 3DPD non-anime films are roughly 100 - 120 minutes and they always tell a story perfectly fine. They also happen to be superior to anime, I don't anyone would argue that anime is superior to the medium of film at least.
Anime in general is the exception, in that it is always filled with insane amounts of filler. It's simply unnatural to have to tell a story in about 265 or 550 minutes. So I think we can all agree that if an anime can't be cut to 120 minutes maximum, it has shit writing.
>>
>>13644473
Because it's impossible to have a series of smaller stories within an overarching plot right?
>>
>>13644477
It's not impossible, but surely you can't deny it's bad writing when you take time to develop characters and other details of the world instead of sticking solely to the all important main plot, can you not?
>>
Stuff like Ideon would benefit by being compressed to less episodes.
>>
26 episodes would not be enough time for the toy variants
>>
File: 1281862302528.jpg (51 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1281862302528.jpg
51 KB, 640x480
There might have been a lot of filler in MS:G but with 26 episodes we would have lost a lot, less than the movie but still a lot.
Even the SALT episode did brought very interesting and subtle things about commanding a warship, to me what we could have lost was the stupid AMURO RUNNING AWAY WITH HIS FRIEND BEST DEFENSE.
Seriously, in a REAL military he should have been SHOT even after coming back.
We also lost good bits about how Lalah is treated as a Newtype.

Aside, I disagree with the idea that you can't write good story in 49-52 episodes, Slayers would be my demonstration (for starter it's basically two 26ep seasons with the same intertwined plot)
However I affirm that any show that doesn't have a fixed amount of episode planned are at 90% money-sucking puppy-killer scams.

... still, a series over 26 episodes are more likely to be shit. See Gundam Seed same as Destiny.
...and series faking 26 episodes can be even shittier, even if 00 didn't lost a lot in quality with S2 the show's quality was already guilty of dropping a lot after the first 3 episodes to only rise up a little for the final.
>>
>>13644626
Stuff like Godmars WILL definitely benefit from it because what they did for the 2nd arc was to take 1st arc and reskin it by adding new characters and a new setting.
>>
>>13644458
Hahahahahahahahahahaha wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow /b/ro you sure told him!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.