[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Episode VII
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: The Force Awakens.jpg (68 KB, 1366x630) Image search: [Google]
The Force Awakens.jpg
68 KB, 1366x630
Maybe I've been spoiled by japanese animes and ace combat but Poe's X-wing stunts didn't seem all that impressive for someone who was supposed to be the new Wedge Antilles/Tycho Celchu for starfighter prowess.
>>
Amuro defeats 14 Rick Doms at A Baoa Q.
Poe defeats 6 TIEs within 10 seconds during the battle over the lake.
He is pretty damn great ace in my book.
>>
he got captured like a bitch
>>
Personally I loved the TIE sequence. They did pretty well for themselves.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6291092

Poll for people who have seen the film.
>>
>>13640743
>Amuro defeats 14 Rick Doms at A Baoa Q.
>Poe defeats 6 TIEs within 10 seconds during the battle over the lake.

You do realise that there is absolutely no way to compare these two, right? It's a dogfight vs a mecha fight, there's a world of difference.
>>
>>13640759

While not the most impressive thing I've seen a fictional pilot do, it was genuinely one of the most impressive things I've seen a fictional pilot do in a piece of western visual media.
>>
>>13640743
I'd probably be more impressed if he had, you know, CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.
>>
>>13640784
You're right, mechs are way easier to kill.
>>
>tfw no proper Itano Circus
Four missiles loosed at a TIE is only a baby Itano Circus
>>
>>13640799
Why is it necessary for every character to have a character development? Sure, Rey and Finn need one, but they are young and only at the beginning of their journey.
Poe is an adult and an established ace within Resistance. And he is shown as a very friendly and happy go lucky dude. Exactly what development you want to see from him?
>>
>>13640814
They want to see him turned into 7edge9u broken man and dark ace pilot flying Shadow Blade X-Wing Custom that leaves blood-red engine trails, of course. It's more "mature", right?
>>
>>13640810
It ain't even a baby, it's a pre-mature birth.
>>
>>13640799
dude is a grown ass adult, he's already gone through the whole rival rape/ dead girl friend phase
>>
>>13640743
I have seen barely 3 movies in cinema hall in my entire life.
Only reason I am planning to this at theater is to break the monotony of my neet life and to see action of Tie-fighters, X-wing and BB8.

Does the movie has good enough stuff like that?
I have been spoiled anyway, but then I never cared about plot and story in star wars anyway.
>>
>>13640849
There isn't a huge amount of starfighter action, but what there is is pretty good.
>>
>>13640836
>the whole rival rape/ dead girl friend phase
Wat?
Spoil me on this. I already know "Han Solo didn't shot " one.
>>
>>13640849

It's got some fun X-wings vs TIE battles, chase sequences, and a hell of a lot of cool costumes, practical effects and alien puppets. Also pretty funny.
>>
>putting your ships on a leash

I'm sure it was actually a fueling line, but the sight gag was funny. I want this in Gundam.
>>
>>13640852
>>13640855
Sounds fun.
It is releasing on Christmas here, so that makes it easy for me, just wish that local theater will put it in my city.

Thanks, anons.
>>
more webms please.
>>
They handled the references pretty well. Of course, they had some obvious ones that everyone got, but they also had neat things like the motivator being broken on the Falcon.
>>
>>13640853
Hes talking about Amuro being a kid
>>
>>13640814
Maybe I phrased that incorrectly, but he came off as a character whom the writers didn't know what to do with (or rather, maybe they did but he had a large chunk of his scenes cut in post-production).

To explain: the first 10-15min established a good camaraderie between him and Finn (like a Roy-Hikaru relationship), but then he just ups and vanishes for the majority of the plot. Granted, it made sense in the story but for all his development up to that point, he may as well have been some nameless grunt.
>>
Back from the movie. Thought it was okay. Nothing outstandingly bad like the countless problems in episode 1, but nothing outstandingly good either. Action was actually relatively disappointing; Felt that the prequel trilogy, for all its flaws, did that better (especially the lightsaber fights).

I can see why people might have problems with how Han was handled but I think it's understandable given Ford's age.

Finn felt weird as hell to me because his entire personality doesn't seem to fit his backstory at all.

Rey was alright, but I have a feeling that she and Captain Phasma being a woman are going to have a small number of lunatics throw fits about pandering to feminists.

Speaking of throwing fits, I loved how Kylo Ren turned out to be basically a pissy little Darth Vader fanboy in costume and hope to see more of that.

Favourite scenes were Kylo Ren and the blaster shot and "we'll use the force".
>>
File: kono pressure.jpg (24 KB, 500x518) Image search: [Google]
kono pressure.jpg
24 KB, 500x518
>>13640888
correct
>>
>>13640814
Because character development is a term people throw around needlessly to pretend they're in the know with regards to literature.
>>
File: 1450446527165.jpg (352 KB, 1462x2048) Image search: [Google]
1450446527165.jpg
352 KB, 1462x2048
"OH MY GAWD IT'S DARTH VADDEEEERRRR CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH SIR"
>>
>>13640943
>the first spoiler
There were people that didn't know this? It was spammed all over the news.

Also, fuck you Captcha, beans on a burger bun is not a sandwich.
>>
>>13640743

>leads 3 Xwing squadrons into Imperial Z'ha'doom
>navigates the most hostile trench run since the Super Star Destroyer
>closes the gap on a base breach and proceeds to blow up every pylon in the building with perfect precision and composure

As far as Western movies goes, he is one of the best space pilots ever depicted. He is on the same tier as the Last Starfighter.
>>
>>13640988
I managed to avoid all the spoilers so I'm actually not entirely sure what was revealed and what wasn't.

I don't watch trailers for movies and games once I've decided to watch/play them, either.
>>
>>13640970
What Vader figure is that?
>>
>>13641033
That's the Figuarts Kylo Ren so going by the cloth cape and size, probably the Black Series.
>>
>>13641036
Nope. Look at the joints. It's the Mafex.
>>
So is the movie good?
>>
>>13641053
It's not BAD, and it's better than episode 1, and not worse than 2 and 3.
>>
The ace combat was dissapointing as fuck. It didn't help that the big bad was a new Death Star with steroids but it was the easiest one to defeat
>>
>>13641062
>It's not BAD
I'm so tired of hearing this about every capeshit of the month. Nowadays, not trying and take the safe route is rewarded
>>
>>13641062
Is the contrarianism hitting already so we can't really call a good movie good so we have to go with "not bad"?
>>
>>13641089
>Star Wars
>capeshit
The fuck?
>>
>>13641091
But the movie itself isn't that good. There are good parts of it, but overall it's just mediocre. Which, yes, can be described as "not bad."
>>
>>13641091
It wasn't good. Finn was a terrible character, the relationship between him and Rey were forced, and most of the movie is literally nothing happening.

It's clearly meant to be an introduction to the new age of the universe and its characters, but it focuses so much on that that it forgets that it ought to be a fucking movie.

I mean, seriously, the only villain in the whole fucking film to stand out is the random nameless trooper with the tonfa.
>>
>>13640743
Ha yeah anime ruined Hollywood for me.

Especially capeshit.
>>
Typical /m/ has to hate everything that comes out now. What happened to this board?
>>
>>13640814
>character development

Its become a youtube meme for amateur reviewers

>Villain henchman # 539 who has only 5 minutes screen has shitty character development ! this movie sucks !
>>
>>13641117
Sigh people don't hate the movie.

They just aren't idiotic fanboys about it. You know like those people shouting "one punch man best anime of all time!".

The movie is decent and does Star Wars well enough.
>>
>>13640743
Actually from an /m/ perspective I'm more disappointed by the new mechanical designs in the movie, you got some troop transports (Box with thrusters glued on), General Organa's ship (Box with thrusters glued on) and Kylo Ren's shuttle (Bootleg Imperial Shuttle). No next generation A-wings, B-wings or Y-wings. No TIE interceptors or Bombers. No rebel capital ships. Just the Millennium Falcon, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters and X-wings. Which look exactly the same as the OT except for a few minor changes.
>>
I don't see why we should be condescending to Hollywood crap. Do you know how much money this movie cost? How much human power it had? How many starving kids in Africa could be saved with a portion of the budget? This isn't vaudeville anymore, this is a global marketing scam. These guys literally pretend to paralize the entire globe for a CGI fest. They pretend to make a cultural icon and then they use the "turn off your brain" excuse anytime someone call them for their bullshit.

It's not like one negative opinion will change shit, especially with the Disney media empire shilling the movie.
>>
Plannin on seeing this movie after I come home this semester.
Don't really care about spoilers, just want to see it with people.
But I gotta ask, is it better than Awakening of a Trailblazer?
>>
>>13641176
Hell the SW prequels are better than that.
>>
>>13641176
Seriously? No.
>>
>>13641176
They're about on par. Visually stunning but pretty ugh in the story department.
>>
>>13641179
You shitting me? At least TB didn't have horrible comedy characters.

>>13641188
that's fine by me. Again, not even a huge SW fan, just want to see it with friends/family.
>>
>>13641196
At least the prequels did their own thing rather than rehash the OT. There's a difference between poetry and rehash
>>
>>13641117
Well I liked it. There was a fair a mount of positive comments in other threads like >>13636791 too.
>>
File: 35919.png (380 KB, 503x443) Image search: [Google]
35919.png
380 KB, 503x443
>>
>>13641200
I'm sorry, my acronym-fu is lacking. OT?
Original Timeline?
>>
>>13641210
Not him but Original Trilogy I'm assuming.

From what I've heard TFA is just A New Hope again for the most part.
>>
>>13641215
lame. Well as long as the pacing is good I should be fine sitting through it.
Bad pacing will always take me out, no matter how much I enjoy the subject matter.
>>
>>13641215
When Han Solo faced Kylo Ren, I was expecting Ren to say: "When I left you, I was the son but now I'm the father" and Han to respond "only the father of evil"
>>
>>13641227
The pacing is awful. It's the typical fast-pacing crap for ADHD kids from the youtube generation. It's more a roller coaster than an actual movie.
>>
>>13641228
God that'd have been cringey.
>>
>>13641231
Can anyone else attest to this?
>>
>>13641241
That guy's just trolling. That being said, the pacing is pretty weird because it's mostly a crawl but has a couple of jumps. Because it's a crawl you'd expect there to be plot, but it's mostly a load of nothing like Rey making instant bread out of powder or Finn walking through a desert.

I mean, there's no real explanation of who the leader of the First Order is. It's not like he's a mystery, all the characters in the film clearly know who he is, and Leia ever refers to him by name, but the audience is told nothing.
>>
>>13641265
Abrams was obviously trying to be as vague as possible. Considering it's already out that luke will show up next film, it's possible that the true identity of the leader of the Order knows the Skywalkers personally.
>>
>>13641102
>>13641109
You know anons sometimes I keep forgetting how complete and utter shit you are. Seriously the amount of hipster here is through the roof.

Never change anons
>>
Internet terrorists here on 4chan and on Facebook spoiled the movie for me, mere hours before I saw it.

I suppose it's my own dumb fault for going online before I saw the movie, but it's not like I was looking for info on the film. Fuck, man.
>>
File: babby has found jesus.png (70 KB, 201x216) Image search: [Google]
babby has found jesus.png
70 KB, 201x216
>that stormtrooper with the electro-tonfa
>>
File: 1415979617848.jpg (132 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1415979617848.jpg
132 KB, 1440x1080
>>13641333
>>
Still really unsure how I felt about this movie. It's certainly better than the prequels but I had so many different feelings about it that I'm not sure what to think. I know I'm going to be dragged to a second showing sooner or later so maybe I'll have a better idea then.
>>
>It's been 40 years since the Republic's triumph over Palpatine
>Still using X-Wings
I mean, sure they're rugged and easy to maintain, and sure they can upgrade these babies now that they have the resources, but damn, son.
>>
>>13641372
It's the super hornet to the 65's hornet.

Also is it just me or has the Disney continuity been a major McQuarrie panderfest designwise?
>>
Something random that stood out to me. Han and Leia are both straight haired, white skinned Caucasian-ish people, while Kylo Ren had massive hair and a huge nose and basically looked like a stereotypical Jew. It's not a big deal, but the lack of family resemblance amused me.
>>
>>13641430
Genetics can be fucking hilarious sometimes.

Also is Finn short enough to be a jedi considering he's an ex stormie?
>>
>>13641333
I went and bought the model kit on the way home from watching the movie.
>>
>>13641157
I hate X-Wings.
Those things steal too much spotlight on the rebel side.
I want to see more A-Wings in-action, dammit.
>>
>>13641442
Okay, so he fought with a lightsaber twice but didn't get to fly off to train with Luke. Is he Force sensitive or not?
>>
>>13640783
>74%
Well if the most jaded website on the planet liked it, it must be ok.
>>
>>13641314
Stop being a bitch about people disagreeing with you.
>>
>>13640889
He disappeared because he was thought to be fucking dead
>>
Oh wow the third Death Star has a weak point, no way. Leia, meet Rey, now hug like you two know each other. Now let this total stranger take the falcon with a giant dog solo to meet Luke because... why? You have to return his light saber, is that it? The whole third act was silly.
>>
>>13640943
Oh man I hope Phasma would do something more since she had a pretty sweet armor but then she was just a bitchy boss type and got tackled, I hoppe she does something useful i nthe future if she survived
>>
>>13640889
>To explain: the first 10-15min established a good camaraderie between him and Finn (like a Roy-Hikaru relationship), but then he just ups and vanishes for the majority of the plot. Granted, it made sense in the story but for all his development up to that point, he may as well have been some nameless grunt.
He is the first major pilot in Star Wars who isn't a Force User. That's the equivalent of being a great Gundam pilots with no Newtype powers. I am willing to cut that character a LOT of slack just for that.
>>
>>13641563
And he's already more of a character than someone like Apolly.
>>
>>13641526

She did. Her actress has already been penciled in for reprising her role in Episode 8.
>>
>>13641160
>How many starving kids in Africa could be saved with a portion of the budget

Here's a thought, you little genius, you - instead of complaining about what film execs do with their money, which is make films, why don't you donate some of your hard earned cash to fucking African orphans, eh?
>>
>>13641491
I assumed he was just a regular guy with stormtrooper combat training.

>>13641519
I got the impression that Rey might have been related to the Skywalkers. My personal theory is that she's Luke's (bastard?) daughter. Leia probably knew exactly who she was. Han might have too, since the movie seemed to cut away every time he was asked about her identity. Or even if she's just an unrelated Force user, Leia probably could have sensed that too, and whether or not she had goodness or darkness in her.
>>
>>13641660
>spoiler

Exactly my opinion
>>
File: who gives a shit.gif (3 MB, 253x208) Image search: [Google]
who gives a shit.gif
3 MB, 253x208
>>13641160
>How many starving kids in Africa could be saved with a portion of the budget?
>>
>>13641660
I was assuming that she was Kylo's sister and Han's daughter (with the stuff with her in the Falcon foreshadowing that).
>>
>>13641563
Han was a major pilot. Lando and Wedge got to do cool pilot things too.

And if you're too get into EU territory you have to throw in Baron Fel, Turr Phennir, everyone who was in the 501st, everyone who was in Rogue Squadron (except Corran who is disqualified for being a Jedi), Wraith Squadron, quite a few people really.
>>
>>13641333
That fucker was Stark Jegan/Kobe Byarlant Tier unknown fucking crazy bastard.
>>
>>13640814

This. A character does not need to change in order to be good, a static character can be good too. It's just that they have to be good to begin with. Pic related.
>>
>>13641160

Africa was given DECADES post-colonialism to get its shit together and only a few countries (Kenya being a big one) ever managed to do it. The rest of the worst is not entitled to take care of them, the idea that we are is what created the mindset of White Man's Burden in the first place.
>>
>>13641717
>the idea that we are is what created the mindset of White Man's Burden in the first place.
Boyega got the role for the White Man's Burden anyway
>>
>>13641722

And he's one of the few characters in the film that feels like an actual character with some kind of arc.
>>
>>13641727
Not so much though but TFA's standards on characterization are really low
>>
>>13641701
I keep misreading his name as Yuri Lowenthall.
>>
>>13640814
>le guy who's a sick jack of all trades
>I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOOT LOL
>masters firing in the span of the movie
bravo JJ
>>
>>13641160
What the fuck man, did you have a brain fart or a stroke?
>>
Just finished watching.

Less rehash than I was led to believe, though there's definitely throwbacks to the original trilogy for sure.

At the least it's surely the funniest of the saga. Good comedic timing on the dialog.

All in all, hack film done well. Kinda interested in seeing where the rest of the Kylo Ren Butthurt Trilogy goes.
>>
File: xwj5.jpg (56 KB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
xwj5.jpg
56 KB, 500x233
>>13640743
He shot shit in front of him as he maneuvered. While the concept might not be that impressive, I'd like to see you hope in a X-wing and do this.
>>
>>13641840
>Kinda interested in seeing where the rest of the Kylo Ren Butthurt Trilogy goes.
Yep, I enjoy his teenage outbursts. When he was going berserk slashing his light saber around the 2nd time, I love that the two Stormtroopers just turned around and walk away. They didn't need to investigate what was happening because they KNOW what was happening. That scene implied that this was a common occurrence and the troopers are used to it.
>>
You've been watching too much Macross, probably.
>>
File: 1367215809848.gif (420 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1367215809848.gif
420 KB, 400x225
>That subtle reference to the old TIE Fighter Windows game
>>
>>13641865
The NOPE Troopers were great, they didn't even need lines to convey it.
>>
>>13641865
Yeah, that was definitely my favourite scene in the film.
>>
>>13641872
What was the reference?
>>
>>13641677
So she is basically Jaina and Kylo is Jacen .
>>
Anyone else get Otaking vibes from the TIE Fighter cockpit shots?
>>
>>13641750
He was focusing all efforts on escaping in the TIE, giving the guns to someone else makes sense when it's you, alone, vs an entire damn Star Destroyer.
>>
>>13641888

Finn's reaction to how complex flying a fighter. A lot of people bought the game expecting a shooter and basically got a flight simulator.
>>
>>13641903
She's sorta like Banagher, very much under the influence of space voodoo and dangerously powerful for it.
>>
>>13641890
Sadly yes. They killed the EU just to loot the corpse.
>>
>>13641840
>At the least it's surely the funniest of the saga. Good comedic timing on the dialog.
That's what happens when your humor doesn't consist of Jar Jar and Battle Droid skits.
>>
>>13641905
Actually they reference the Tie Fighter games in a line.

"You've got lasers, missiles and magpulse" or something to that effect. Mag Pulse was a useless ass weapon disabling torpedo that was used in only a handful of weapons.
>>
>>13641927
Ren had some really good moments that were funny.

>Anything Else?

Also the two stormtroopers who NOPE'd the fuck away from the tantruming Ren were the funniest bit in the film.
>>
>>13641933
>Ren had some really good moments that were funny.

That 'hey, how you doing buddy' squat he did was priceless.
>>
>>13641381

I think it's less of a McQuarrie panderfest and more of a "Disney using things that were still lying around, because they're cheapskates"
>>
>>13641372
OT used T65's, Resistance uses T70's.
>>
>>13641933
Star Wars: the Empire Backs Down.

This winter, don't worry; we're traitorous cowards too.
>>
>>13641954
Did the TIE-Fighters a new name as well?
>>
>>13642014
*get
>>
File: meh cat.jpg (63 KB, 600x687) Image search: [Google]
meh cat.jpg
63 KB, 600x687
You know it wasn't terrible but I do feel like it's gonna get a lot of undeserved praise just for not being PT bad.

and that's sad
>>
>>13642042
Look at it this way, it was just as likely to get shat on because of Abrams being a hack.

Which he sorta is, but it worked better in this film.
>>
>>13642045

he only has himself to blame. Into darkness was dreadful
>>
>>13642051
Neither of the Trek Reboots were any good desu. No need to single out Into Reference even if it was worse just a lil bit.

That said shit looks even worse now that he left I mean shit.
>>
>>13642052

I wish 09 was worse honestly. It was just...too safe
>>
>>13642054
I'm so tired of "safe" movies that we're supposed to accept for not being so bad. I prefer a bad movie with tons of ideas than a safe bland movie.
>>
>>13642052
They were ok, but in hindsight you could tell Abrams was more of a Star Wars type.

Beyond needs to be a certain kind of dumb if it wants to succeed though, and I fear it actually won't be dumb enough.
>>
>>13642057

The worst thing a story can be is boring
>>
>>13642057
So you enjoyed Prometheus then?
>>
>>13641519
I was under the impression Rey became a sort of surrogate daughter to Han and Leia due to a combo of offscreen dialog and Leia's inherent force sensitivity newtype UNDERSTANDING abilities from RotJ.

It's funny though because Finn had a character arc evocative of Han's. Imperial boy, realizes what he's doing is wrong, bails a prisoner out, is kinda a total coward survivalist but matures into a hero. And it's Rey instead who inherits the Falcon, but then again she knows her way around the girl well enough to be a fitting owner.
>>
People are defending this sack of shit?

I literally cannot tell the difference between comments on Reddit and comments on 4chan anymore.
>>
>>13641157
There is a parked b-wing covering most of the screen at the very next shot after they blow up the starkiller. You only see the backside of it though
>>
That scene where Darth Angst goes TRAITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR was pretty hype.
>>13642118
Never been to Reddit but you obviously seem pretty familiar with it. Why don't you go back?
>>
>>13642141
Yelling TRAITOR is the traditional way of initiating melee duels in the post-Empire era, I've learned.
>>
>>13641519
Shes lukes daughter, the movie 'subtlety' hints at it so many times you fucking dumbass
>>
I think they made this movie safe because they wanted to assure people they had a grasp on what Star Wars is, so then next movie they can hopefully take it somewhere new.

Also ANH came out in 1977 it's okay if they rehash it now. Most of the audience of kids probably haven't even seen it.
>>
>>13641117
>what happened
nothing changed. we like our old and campy and there isn't enough campy shit.
>>
>>13640743

Can someone tell me how he survived the TIE crash? I went to take a piss when the resistance came to save everybody.
>>
>>13642162
Ejector seats. Same thing for Finn.
>>
>>13641231
but is it a strange rollercoaster like gundam zeta. will it get me talking?
>>
>>13642057
this. experimental films can be very entertaining when they aren't being artsy
>>
>>13642170

He's exaggerating, it's pretty much standard pacing.
>>
File: 1435959410719.jpg (86 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1435959410719.jpg
86 KB, 1280x720
>>13642105
>Prometheus
>safe
heres your reply
>>
>>13642061
Abrams' directing style did not fit Star Wars at all.
>>
>>13642167
What I don't get is how Poe can eject while leaving his jacket behind conveniently making it look like he died in the crash.

I know, thinking too hard about it, but it's just kinda weird and arbitrary he'd take his jacket off while prepping to eject... unless I missed a detail, which I am one to always suspect.

Can't ever trust my memory to be accurate, and I'm nowhere near the age for forgetfulness and alzheimers.
>>
>>13642221
Well it definitely didn't fit trek either.
>>
>>13642221
I completely disagree. I enjoyed everything JJabrams brought to this movie, like the insane WWII aerial acrobatics during the Falcon chase, Finn in general, and the well-timed bits of levity (Kylo's tantrum in the interrogation room).
>>
>>13642222
I mean, you can come with with whatever. It got caught on something. He took it off to not get it caught on something. DRAMATIC TENSION.
>>
>>13640783
>no option for meh it wasn't good but it wasn't bad either and I'll forget about after a week
>>
>>13642254
I thought the drifting was a bit more late Cold War in mobility as opposed to WWII.

Then again I recall the prequel trilogy having some float in their fighter scenes so chalk it up to CGI facilitating more curved flight pathing compared to model effects I guess?

Props to the TIEs for holding up so long in Jakku without crashing into anything though.

>>13642257
I'm trying not to think too hard because then there's the issue of when did TIE fighters get life support systems installed?
>>
>>13642314
It has been 30 years. Maybe they decided that since they're not using clones anymore and don't have as big of a population base that they want to at least give their pilots a chance to survive.
>>
Why weren't they TIE Interceptors?

I mean, it's been thirty fucking years.
>>
>>13642326
I mean sure you could use the argument of spending more to protect your costly resource but it just feels jarring because the Alliance pilots never wear face masks due to good guy facetime policy with FO blacksuit astronauts always in full garb and mask with life support suitcase in hand...

Honestly I don't like the whole "good guys have unobstructed faces" principle, pilot helmets look best with air masks mounted anyway.
>>
>>13642376
Well it shows through Phasma's treatment of Finn that they dehumanize the stormtroopers. It's a good bet they do the same to the pilots. Remember when she scolded him for taking off his helmet? They're not supposed to see themselves as individuals. The suit helps with that. It also helps make it so you're not as affected when one of your comrades dies (well, you're not supposed to..unlike Finn) since they're all the same.

Plus, wouldn't you feel awesome wearing one of those suits piloting a fighter? I'm sure it's a morale boost. Maybe it also has some built in HUD/Fitbit type stuff too.
>>
>>13641176
They're nothing alikeand TB was fucking great.
>>
>>13642375
Cost and the fact that maybe these things have closed the gap or have better specs thanks to it being thirty years.
>>
File: sw-meleetrooper.gif (1006 KB, 500x233) Image search: [Google]
sw-meleetrooper.gif
1006 KB, 500x233
>>13641333
That guy needs his own movie.
>>
>>13642421
Obviously they were spending their money on new star destroyers and a multi-beam deathstar laser that can obviously travel through hyperspace (since it hit multiple planets in different systems at once). I do wonder though, they would have to be able to move that planet in order to have it consume another sun...also how did the resistance see the other planets blowing up in the sky? It's like JJ's Star Trek movies, he has no sense of distances in space.

Also, they spend the whole movie getting the map to find Luke and then they're there in a 30 second hyperspace jump? He was that close the whole time?
>>
>>13642431

New star destroyer, singular. They don't have any others.
>>
>>13642433
This. I'm getting the feeling that the New Order is a lot smaller than what it looks like. They're basically ISIS.
>>
>>13642431
>Also, they spend the whole movie getting the map to find Luke and then they're there in a 30 second hyperspace jump? He was that close the whole time?
The problem isn't distance, it's just really hard to find people, particularly when there are so many possible planets.

Imagine there's somebody somewhere on Earth you need to find and you have zero clues as to where he is. He could be in Zimbabwe, Australia, or right down the street from you and he isn't any easier to find either way. Now multiply this by thousands. You can't search every inch of every planet in the galaxy.
>>
>>13642438
Even so, they could have made it seem like it took them a few weeks to get there. You know, have some shots of her putzing around the Falcon, playing chess with Chewy, eating, whatever. It would have taken 45 seconds to a minute to make it seem like it took time to get there, not literally 30 seconds from where they were.
>>
>>13642437
They're definitely warped and fanatical.

It's kinda embarrassing how everyone in the FO seems to have problems.
>>
>>13642431
>Also, they spend the whole movie getting the map to find Luke and then they're there in a 30 second hyperspace jump? He was that close the whole time?

Well, just because it was 30 seconds of screen time doesn't mean it wasn't a long trip for Rey. Plus, ships in SW are very, very, very fast. It ain't like in Star Trek, where it would take 80 years to traverse the galaxy -- in SW they go from planet to planet all time, like it's going to the corner store to buy milk.
>>
>>13642437
If they are so small, why does the Republic have to sponsor a resistance movement to fight them? Would there not be a republic army/peace keeping force that could deal with them? Instead of calling them the resistance, they could have given them a better name to signify that they were a frontier Republic fleet or something on detached duty to deal with the threat. At least we had a couple lines from "It's a Trap" Ackbar!
>>
>>13642466
Hyperspace is pretty fast and they had to wrap up pretty quickly.

I think they wanted to ride the wave of "okay the movie is ending" after the Star Killer blew up.
>>
File: TIn3f0.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
TIn3f0.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
>>13642421
>Cost and the fact that maybe these things have closed the gap or have better specs thanks to it being thirty years.

Yeah, I mean... It makes sense, I suppose... but Tie Interceptors just look So! Much!! COOLER!!!

>>13642426
>That guy needs his own movie.

Agreed
>>
>>13642470
The Republic has officially demilitarized so I'm guessing they can't openly back the Resistance.
>>
The factions remind of V Gundam, funnily enough
>Republic = Earth Federation
>Resistance = League Militaire
>First Order = Zanscare
>>
>>13642470
>>13642437
https://twitter.com/HccvJPE8Dk/status/677935362623148032
https://twitter.com/HccvJPE8Dk/status/678007566840889344
>>
>>13642524
Bitch please. http://imgur.com/a/o7sKV
>>
>>13642532
Completely different book you stupid nigger.
>>
>>13642532

Just how old is Maz? She talked as though she's been around for millenia.
>>
>>13642547
Yeah it's better.
>>
>>13642552
Are you retarded?
>>
File: into the trash she goes.jpg (118 KB, 870x891) Image search: [Google]
into the trash she goes.jpg
118 KB, 870x891
Funny how Phasma got reduced to a meme character.
>>
>>13641282

Snoke is probably Darth Plaguis or something.
>>
>>13642584
That was such a disappointment. Shafting space Brianne of Tarth is disgusting.
>>
>>13642585
Didn't Plaguis show up in a prequel comic or something? We already saw Snoke, he's a new character.
>>
>>13642596
It was a novel, that's now non-canon.
>>
>>13641359

I was similar to you after my first viewing, i had a couple of nitpicky issues.

Watching it again though, the movie was much better, the pacing felt fine second time round, and i actually had more feels the second viewing as well.
>>
>>13642584
I had hoped there would be more of her. She could have lead that first assault in the beginning and killed a slew of people. Also, I would have liked to have seen her as taller as everyone else.
>>
>>13641430

He does kinda look like prequels Anakin though. and his character is sorta meant to be Anakin 2.0 but this time we're actually supposed to hate him.
>>
>>13642584
Well she's got a name and she's been thrown into a compactor chute.

She's gonna be part of something fun, I can feel it. Maybe she gets fed up with Kylo's bitchfits and goes off to enforce order and discipline with people who'd take it seriously.
>>
>>13641359
I had the same feeling, and I got to the next day and realised that I don't have any glaring issues or big plot holes to pick with the film, and a few nitpicks at best, and I think that's the important part.
>>
>>13642623
I can at least take solace that she's 99% surely not dead. Hopefully next go round will be better for her.
>>
>>13642623
I'm thinking she'll be Finn's rival where Kylo will be Rey's.
>>
>>13642210

He's saying Prometheus wasn't safe.
>>
>>13642635
>I'm thinking she'll be Finn's rival where Kylo will be Rey's.
Basically, because Ben Solo has no idea who Finn is. It just isn't as personal as Phasma, who seemed to know Finn very well.
>>
>>13642623

I still want a comic of Hux saving her from the trash compactor then carrying her and Ren to safety.
>>
Hux wasn't very intimidating and always came off as trying too hard, but I think that's okay because I'm pretty sure that's the point of his character: a young guy trying really hard to act like one of the more middle-aged Imperial officers from the glory days.
>>
>>13642716
I thought his speech was good. You could feel the fanaticism.
>>
>>13642716

And he was actually pretty competent too. Hell, most of the First Order was with the exception of Darth Teenager.
>>
>>13642724
I think my favorite speech in a scifi movie is what Clu gives in Tron Legacy towards the end. Of course the best speech of all time is in Patton.
>>
>>13642724
If the Empire were Nazis, the First Order are REALLY NAZIS. Holy shit, the empire were an empire, but these guys are fascists of a whole new level.
>>
>>13642731
Kylo and the first order were all competent except when you run into named characters/force shenanigans. It's not the stormtroopers faults that they're trying to shoot down X-wings with blasters.
>>
>>13642524
>Empire still exists but is forced into peace with the republic
>First Order is remnant holdouts

Wow it's just like my Gundams!
>>
>>13642426

The guy himself was cool, but I didn't really like the weapon. Looked way to awkward in use. I'd have preferred either something shorter, or something that was a bit easier to swing like the halberd the old imperial guard used to use.

>>13642431

Hyperspace is implied to be a super efficient method of travel that can cross trillions of miles in minutes anyways. The longest I can recall any journey taking in any media is a few days and that's the other side of the galaxy. Most journeys are only a few hours. I can't recall how the editing on that scene was, but it probably took a few hours for the actual journey.

>>13642673

I'm thinking Finn might be Han's son by Sana since he mentions being taken from his family as a child. It'd give him a good rivalry with Kylo, which they've already done some building for and add some pathos that he couldn't even get to know their father before Ren killed him. Rey has already beaten Ren pretty handily and she'll only get better now that she'll have training. Sure, Ren will have some too according to Snoke, but I can see Rey building to Snoke and leaving Ren behind, while Finn takes him on instead.
>>
>>13642773
>Han's son by Sana
>Implying he's not Lando's son
>>
>>13642773
>>13642782
I would rather just have Finn be random stormtrooper #612412321 than turn out to be somebody important.
>>
>>13641872
>that delicious gamefication of all the starfighting
I loved when Po was in DA CORE slamming on his breaks in a tight circle so he can hit all the targets made me feel like I was back in Shadows of the Empire.
>>
>>13641160
>I don't see why we should be condescending to Hollywood crap. Do you know how much money this movie cost? How much human power it had? How many starving kids in Africa could be saved with a portion of the budget?

Alan Moore posts on /m/?

Now THAT'S a surprise.
>>
>>13642773
>I'm thinking Finn might be Han's son by Sana since he mentions being taken from his family as a child. It'd give him a good rivalry with Kylo
It doesn't matter if they never met before. What matters is Finn ran away from his past, but Phasma is likely a BIG part of his past, as his drill sergeant or something. She remembered his code number, and that isn't something she would do unless he was a regular part of her operation routine.

Exploring what a Stormtrooper is about is something I want to see in the next film. What makes people do what they do. And what they feel about fighting for silly wizards in black cloaks.
>>
>>13642796
He picked up a lightsaber.

He's shackled with importance. That's the rules.

Also just how -did- that damned thing survive Cloud City? And while I'm at it isn't Anakin's saber actually one of the mass production Clone War sabers? Maybe that explains why it's still in such good condition but where the fuck was it all this time?

>the answer is probably TIE IN MATERIAL!
>>
>>13642796

I'd rather it too, but Star Wars as a whole is rather nepotistic so I can see it turning out to be Sana's child as a way to tie him to things more.

>>13642819

Phasma remembered it because he's part of her troop. It's directly stated to be his first real mission in the film if I recall, but he's obviously been there at least a little while since she tries to defend his behavior by saying it's his first offence. I doubt she's any more connected to him than being his direct superior.

I mean Ren remembered his code number too and he had no reason to know or care about him before that point.
>>
>>13642819
Well, he was a part of her squad/battalion/whatever, so it's likely she has trained him. Also, as for why they fight, she did order him back to have more conditioning. Most likely, they all get menial jobs (like he had in sanitation), and then at a certain age are taken to be trained in combat and have their minds conditioned. For some reason, his conditioning didn't take as well as others. Who knows why. Just like in the Matrix why some people can tell it's wrong and they need to get out while most are oblivious. Had he not had a chance to have Po help him escape, he most likely would eventually have just be reconditioned/brainwashed further until he no longer had an issue with killing.
>>
>>13642831
>Ren remembered his code number too and he had no reason to know or care about him before that point.
May have just been autism
>>
>>13642825
It's just like how did they even get Vader's helmet? Yes, you see it there in the bonfire in ROTJ, but Luke had already taken it off. With the whole second deathstar crumbling around him, not only does he carry his dead father (still in all the heavy armor), but also go back to get the helmet he took off? Just overlook it. It probably ended up in a trash chute in cloud city and they recovered it with Luke's hand.
>>
>>13642839
Somehow I can buy the nearly impossible odds of finding that helmet floating around in space more easily than Annie's saber being caught in a trash chute rather than sinking to the center of Bespin.

Well I guess they used the force!
>THAT'S NOT HOW THE FORCE WORKS!
>>
>>13642590
>Shafting space Brianne of Tarth is disgusting.

Eh. Not like regular Brienne isn't already used to it after D&D kept her spinning her wheels in place for all of season 5.
>>
>>13642854

The helmet wouldn't have been floating around in space. Presumably Luke took it from the fire and saved it for some reason. Maybe he wanted to save some small part of his father and kept the helmet to remind him of the seductive power of the dark side as well as the good in him or something. Ren just took it when he turned and that was that.
>>
>>13642854
You mean after the hanger Luke's shuttle flew out of erupted in flames? No, it clearly was in the bonfire, so Luke had to bring it with him, which meant making a conscious effort to pick it up.

But, these are minor nitpicks.
>>
>>13642838
Autism and being a jedi.
>>
>>13642867
Or it was left on the pyre on Endor and Kylo just found it later.
>>
>>13642868
Oh derf, for some reason I thought it blew up with the Death Star.

Around that point I tend to glaze over when it comes to RotJ.

Anyway it seems easiest to handwave with lolForce.
>>
>one of the knights of Ren has a Buster Sword
Did anyone else see that?
>>
>>13642892
Pic?
>>
>>13642892
Since the trailer, yeah.
>>
>>13641897

No, because Otaking took the reference from the cockpit from the exact same place that the film did - from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games. It's not an Otaking vibe, it's a Lucasarts space simulator vibe.

>>13641890
>>13641923

Nah, she's very, very obviously Luke's daughter and the film isn't even trying to be subtle about it. She hears a child crying through the Force, follows it and finds Vader/Luke's saber, which triggers a memory of being left behind on Jakku as it's revealed she was the crying child. Then the pirate queen tells her the lightsaber is hers since she was drawn to it. Leia obviously knows who she is, but doesn't treat her like a direct relative and she ends the film going to see Luke.

Even in the trailers there's the line Luke has about how the Force is strong in his family and that "you have it too". Since Ren ain't his kid, the only one it could really be is Rey.

You don't even need to go to the EU to explain how that happened either. It's simple narrative efficiency. Disney want to make more Star Wars films now they have the licence and they can't use the old cast given their age and the need for action, but they're central enough to the setting that they still have to have some importance. So instead you have it be about their kids, since it makes it easy to tie the old cast in to the new one. It's literally the same reason that their kids were so important in the EU too. They didn't copy the EU, they just started from the same point that birthed those characters, because it's the simplest thing to do.
>>
>>13642872

Kylo wouldn't have gone back for more than 15 years at the very least, probably more like 30. There's no way it'd still be there. Even if it was left in place and no Ewoks took it, it'd have been shifted by nature and covered over. It'd also probably have worn away a good deal more than what we see after so long.
>>
I thought it was kind of a kick in the nuts to old EU fans to name Kylo "Ben". I mean come on.
>>
>>13642913
It's the Force, don't have to explain shit.
>>
>>13642915
How? Its a way to honor Ben Kenobi or did you forget he went by that name a time?
>>
>>13642915

I'm just confused why Han or Leia would name him Ben at all. I can understand Luke doing it, but there's really no reason they would.
>>
>>13642924
I mean that in the EU "Ben Skywalker" was Luke's son. Would it have killed them to just call him Jacen?
>>
So, did this movie do anything to turn you onto Kylo's Lightsaber or is it still as stupid as we said at first? Can't help but think a Lightsaber Claymore would be cool though.
>>
>>13642929

Jacen is just a gay way to spell Jason.
>>
>>13642927
The guy gave his life to make sure everyone could escape the Death Star in ANH, don't forget.
>>
>>13642929
Because with the Skywalker it was also a nod to Kenobi, that was their line of thinking, they had a child and why not name him after a great jedi?
>>
>>13642934
I think it's cool as fuck. I've totally grown to love it.
>>
>>13642934
Eh, it was pretty cool in action with the whole unstable beam and he used the beam guards to a great and horrific effect on Finn, when he started carving into his should the guy howled
>>
>>13642942
*Shoulder
>>
>>13642938
Yes I know. Story wise I think it's fine. I just think it's just another poke at people who used to like the EU.
>>
>>13642937

I'm not forgetting, I just don't see why Han and Leia would be that attached to him since they barely even knew the guy. Luke didn't know him much longer, but he had a much closer relationship to the guy and continued it over the course of years thanks to the Force. He also had a lot more ties to him in general due to their shared heritage as Jedi.

You'd think Han and Leia be more liable to name him after Bail Organa or something given his importance to the rebellion and untimely death by horrific means. Or to name him after Alderaan itself in some way. Then again, Leia really gets shafted in the movies since she never really seems to care about Alderaan after it's gone and is just there to be the token female and love interest. She spends more time comforting Luke about the death of Ben than dealing with the loss of Alderaan even though it only happened a short time ago when she's comforting Luke.
>>
>>13642942

Speaking of that, Holy hell was Finn's duel so much better than Rey's.
>>
>>13642956
I atribute that to the fact he has actual training to fight, they probably taught melee fighting for them, Kylo Ren is also more of a mind powers sith instead of a fighter and man I found it fucking awesome how he stopped a goddamn blaster shot in midair
>>
>>13642956

That reminds me: what did Rey chop off Ren in the finale? I thought she chopped off both hands for a second, but he doesn't look at all injured afterwards so now I've no idea where she cut him. Did she just hit cape or something?
>>
>>13642970
Face and maybe chest. I think he gets a burn scar across his face.
>>
>>13642970
My guess she destroyed his saber he aparently took so much pride on and he got a slash on the face, finally giving him a reason to use the mask 24/7
>>
One thing I liked about the whole Hux, Kylo Ren and Snoke talks is how Snoke ignored whatever bullshit Kylo was talking opting iinstead for going to the more pragmatic solution Hux told, it really shows how low Kylo stands on the totem pole
>>
>>13642986

He went with both, not just with Hux. He let Hux do what he wanted and leave, and then spoke with Ren and let him do what he thought he could too.

But yea, it was nice to see him not ignore the practical option.
>>
>>13642986
Yeah Kylo just seems like a gifted beginner. Though he supposedly wiped out the new Jedi which bums me out. For the movie that might be good but that means 30 years worth of novels and comics without Jedi other than Luke.
>>
>>13642970
I really thought it was head for a second
>>
>>13642995
Sort of, Kylo said he would bend Rey to his will but Snoke ignored that and said he would take her to him immediately and then all hell breaks loose

>>13642997
I take that as more that he had help since in the flashback is shows him with others while he murders his fellow disciples, so he probably took on a bunch of people who also didn't have much in the way of training and defending themselves
>>
>>13642970

Face and leg to join up with Finn's hits to his side and arm. Also, why was he punching his side like that while bleeding? It was just the weirdest moment for me.
>>
>>13643005
>take that as more that he had help
Maybe. Still think it sucks that there'll be no Jedi around. Or if there are they are all doomed anyway so there's no point in being attached to them.
>>
>>13643006
Chewie shot him when he killed Han Solo
>>
>>13643006
Probably to divert the pain.
>>
>>13643007
Yeah, maybe with Rey Luke will finally come out of his funk and more jedis will be found, also speaking of doomed characters we still have next year that move about Rogue one or something like that
>>
>>13643006
I don't know, I've never done it with an open wound but if I've got like sciatic nerve pain I often punch myself on it. It sort of distracts the pain.
>>
I thought I would see Kylo do flips and wreck Finn and Rey.....I'm glad the lightsaber fights are more tame and realistic.
>>
Dark Side made me take a pee break during the movie.

Missed the part right before they snuck onto the First Order planet weapon and up to them capturing the Stormtrooper captain.

What did Leia and Han talk about?
How did they sneak onto the planet?
How did they get into the base and capture the captain?
>>
>>13643018

I'd say they were toned down, not tame. They come off as more brutal due to the way they're done with a focus on slashes rather than flipping around the place as much as possible.

Also, how long will it be before we get a decent gif of BB8 giving his thumbs up. Was one of my favorite parts of the film. The whole scene of Finn trying to convince him to help was great actually.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.