[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zeta V2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Clipboard01.png (58 KB, 674x694) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
58 KB, 674x694
I didn't want to do this, but EG is coming closer and closer to a close, so I want to send this project off into good hands. Whether or not that ends up being an individual or community is up to you guys, but Clutchins has seemingly disappeared, and I don't have the time to wait for him anymore really. That's his business, so I'm not gonna fault him for it, but it is what it is, and I want to "plan" this out as best I can with /m/.

Last time I made any announcement concerning this project, it was about episodes 1-25, but episodes 26-40 have been encoded for literally months now, and I've decided to buckle down and encode the remaining 10 over the next two days. After some muxing work, they'll probably be done in time for Christmas.

The question is: who wants to handle subtitle work?

These are *raw* releases, unlike my previous version, but they offer several notable updates that would assist in archiving the release. The resolution is now an appropriate 994x720, preserving the correct aspect ratio (it's wider than 4x3 on the BD); the grain is completely untouched besides very minor chroma NR; the chromatic aberration is better reduced this time around; the filesize has been bumped to be more in line with modern EG releases (the old release used a fixed bitrate 2-pass mode), so the episodes are closer to the 0079 encodes in terms of size and quality.

Notably, this release also includes the dub in untouched AC3, and the Japanese in FLAC (it takes up a lot less space than you think because the fidelity is so low). The catch is that I did *not* resync the dub as I usually do, so it's simply muxed in with no manual correction. Clutchins was supposed to handle this task as well.
>>
>>13639749
I'm really disappointed in /m/ that this hasn't gotten any responses yet.

>The question is: who wants to handle subtitle work?
What would this entail, exactly? I'm not too up to speed with the Zeta V2 project, but was the plan just to edit some of the typos and/or OCR errors? Or does it only need (re)-timing?
The script itself, in my opinion, is quite awkward but it works, so I don't see any reason for a complete rewrite, aside from a few blatant mistranslations (the most flagrant that comes to mind being a line where Fa yells "Baka!" and the subtitles has it translated as something completely different).
I have edited subtitles for a few things though, but it's only really been for my own personal use. And around 2 months ago, I actually started resubbing (read: changing a few lines here and there to make them less awkward and less triggering of my autism) Zeta by myself, again only for personal use, but I never got past the first two episodes as I only found out about the V2 project around then.

So, I'd be willing to handle the subtitles if there's genuinely no one else, I just need to know what I would need to do and how you'd like me to go about doing it.

tripping for this thread just to make things a bit easier
>>
>>13640748
I blame Star Wars for the slow night.

The subs need to be QC'd and shifted from their ordered chapter configuration to a normal timing. I'm currently doing this for Victory but it needs to be done for Zeta as well. I'd suggest performing fresh OCR, but I'm not gonna supply subs for this, so it's up to the community to rip the .ass files from the original release. Because the original attempt at the V2 project *did* include new subs (newly OCR'd and styled), I happen to have the first five episodes already styled and ready to be muxed. The existing 25 episodes, first five aegisub files, and even fonts for said subtitles, can be found in the following Mega folder:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!1JgmgLTa!5JuX6u3EC-jKRiG9B1Apkg

As far as retranslating goes, I don't see it as necessary, but you're free to. I'm not sure how /m/ as a whole would really feel about it.

By the way, the whole series is encoded now, so I simply have to mux and Zeta V2 will be ready for you guys.
>>
>>13641979
Adding to this, you should start seeing new episodes upload in that folder over the next few days.
>>
File: havet feels.png (255 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
havet feels.png
255 KB, 640x480
>>13641979
do you want some crabsticks to throw in for the end of it?
>>
>>13641979
Alright, so just retime them to fit the new versions, and then QC them. I'd rather not face the wrath of /m/ by changing the lines to fit my own tastes.
Sounds easy enough though, if a bit tedious. Is there a deadline you'd like to stick to regarding the subs? Just to let you know, I can't guarantee all that much progress this month, what with it being that time of year. I won't pull a disappearing act à la Clutchins, I can tell you that though.
>>
>>13642455
Do it whenever you want, I'm not one to impose things on people. This is being put out there to be done with it.
>>
>>13641979
So, what will become of the SDF Macross and Dragon Ball projects? Are those dead in the water?
>>
>>13642965
Ask him not me.
>>
>>13642951
I've been awake for 22 hours straight now, so forgive me for getting confused and not thinking straight, but when you say raw, do you mean that the video footage is raw, as in you haven't adjusted the colors or applied of your own filters to it, or do you mean that you're going to release the entire thing raw on nyaa or wherever, i.e. not having any subs muxed in the files themselves, but have them uploaded separately somewhere else for people to attach it themselves?

If it's only the former, and you do want me to get the subs to you so you can mux them in and then release it, I could probably have it done by mid-January/Early February, barring any extenuating circumstances. But again, if I've misunderstood, let me know.
>>
>>13643021
No, there's filtering done, albeit minor, but it's intended to look more natural than the original release.
>>
>>13643021
Didn't answer you question, sorry. These have no subs, they're meant for others to mux subs into (and fix the dub audio if they please).
>>
>>13643072
It's okay.

I just didn't want to keep you around too long, since I know you've been meaning to "retire", so to speak, for quite some time now. I'd feel terrible if I ended up keeping you waiting for ages just so you could finally get this over and done with. That's a load off my mind then.
I'll start chipping away at it bit by bit once I see the whole thing's uploaded. If I don't see anyone stepping up in the meantime, I'll make a thread and upload them when I'm done.

That being said, thanks for all the hard work you've done over the years. I've enjoyed almost all of your previous mecha-related releases, and I'm really enjoying your Victory BD releases right now as well. I'm grateful that you stuck around for this long, and I wish you the best of luck with any of your future ventures in life.

Cheers.
>>
>>13639749
>EG is coming closer and closer to a close
Explain further
>>
>>13643748
read the archives

RX was the hero we needed but not the one we deserved
>>
>>13642455
>I'd rather not face the wrath of /m/ by changing the lines to fit my own tastes.
You could go through it with us and create an "/m/ approved" set of subtitles
I've seen some awkward stuff in gundam subtitles like "Hail Zeon" and "Let's do it".
>>
26-35 are up now.
>>
>>13645056
Thank you very much for finishing this. It was feeling really weird having only half of this with touch-ups on ZZ and even CCA. I'm sure retimed subs at the very least will come for it eventually (Zeta doesn't have a dub but I appreciate adding whatever Hong Kong VHS audio rips you came across but lets consider syncing it as secondary for that reason lol)
>>
>>13645136
Zeta has a dub. I'm including here. Once subs are fixed, this will be the definitive release.
>>
>>13645138
Oh I know, I was just riffing on its quality and saying a full sync isn't important (you can always get a-S or *ahem* maybe the upcoming R1's for that seeing how OZC has pulled his version)
>>
>>13645146
I do wonder if RS will properly resync the dub. They didn't have to do this for 0079 because Bandai Ent did the work for them on the 2012 DVD set.
>>
>>13639749
I just finally thought to ask: This will include the creditless 1080p OP2 and ED2, right?
>>
RX, I have decided to do my own encode (of another series.) I'm literally doing the first conversion right now, using command line ffmpeg since I use Linux. I'm doing the creditless opening of a DVD that lasts 1:41 minutes. I used the veryslow preset with x264 and Jesus it's slow. Is just regular slow alright? And would this go faster if I had good hardware, because I'm actually doing this on a laptop.

Also, do you have a reccomended subtitle font and color? I wanted to use a libre font but I wasn't sure which one to use.
>>
>>13650570
Use preset placebo. That will make x264 go faster.
>>
>>13650570
You can split the difference on slower and veryslow by changing bframes to 5, rc-lookahead to 40-50, and use only 10 refs (though if you're encoding something digital, more refs are better)

Refer to this guide to see what the presets do:
http://dev.beandog.org/x264_preset_reference.html
>>
>>13651027
Im doing something digital, the 2001 Cyborg 009 series.

One more thing, the DVDs include 192 kbps 2 channel audio and 448 kbps 6-channel audio. I thought of keeping both but now I want to drop the stereo audio. Thoughts?
>>
>>13651039
I should clarify I'm doing this from the R2's and not those nasty Australian DVD's.
>>
>>13651039
Is the 6ch an upmix or true 5.1 mix? Often times they're not true surround mixes (especially if only the dub is 5.1), though if you're not sure, keep both.
>>
>>13651047
To be honest I don't think I'm expirienced enough to know, but it sounds better. This is Japanese audio that is 5.1, I'm not working with the dub.
>>
>>13651059
Keep it then. I'm usually of the opinion of discarding the stereo track unless it's distinctly different. Some people think proper stereo mixes (as opposed to downmixing surround on playback) is ideal, and it probably is, but downmixing has never really failed me when properly setup.
>>
>>13651061
You know, the 5.1 audio is actually the second audio track on the DVD. It does sound better though, so I'll stick with it.

I was wondering, is audio from upscaled Blu-rays ever better than DVD audio? My friend is really into Initial D and heard that the audio from the Stage One Blu-ray was better than the DVD's, but neither of us know for sure (I can't just download the discs because of the poor shape my ADC account is in.) I heard the Digimon Blu-rays had really poppy audio from upmixing the DVD audio, but I'm not sure since I have not seen them myself. I think some rippers put the DVD audio into the MKV though.
>>
>>13651082
It can be, yes, if it's handled correctly. I think I've heard of some outlier cases where the mix was fucked up, or there was some odd tinniness in the audio, but generally speaking, the audio comes from the original master tapes in lossless form, so it should be better than the DVDs (unless the DVDs were also lossless, which isn't unusual on R2 DVDs).
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.