[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Childhood's End
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10
File: Screenshot (4).png (608 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4).png
608 KB, 1366x768
Loved the book growing up. Was very skeptical of the show but so far it seems pretty cool.

Demonic aliens + space ships = Utopia

Was kind of meh then a scene pops up that sums up what it's like to be a /m/an.

What do you guys think of it so far?
>>
File: Screenshot (5).png (568 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (5).png
568 KB, 1366x768
>>13634928

Alone with my toys contemplating the fate of the human race. Whether being the prophet for devil space people was the right choice. When will be pod show back up??
>>
>>13634928
>childhood's end
Is this about that book that has all of humanity merging into a super psychic hivemind and then exploding?
>>
>>13634937
Yes, it's now a show.
>>
All I know is Miles Obrien is on the show.
>>
>>13634959

Yeah Obrien plays a journalist and member of the Freedom League.

The Overlord ships are pretty sweet.
>>
File: 4761.jpg (22 KB, 220x200) Image search: [Google]
4761.jpg
22 KB, 220x200
>>13634928
Have you played the sequel videogame yet?
>>
>>13634937
Super overrated book yes
>>
>>13634955
Can't wait to see people calling it an Eva rip-off
>>
File: lalah.gif (317 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
lalah.gif
317 KB, 500x375
>>13635005

Clarke is pretty based you pleb.

2001 and Childhood's End turn me on.
>>
File: oreos.png (508 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
oreos.png
508 KB, 768x433
>>13634928

No reason to build Gundams if Overlord's take away science and bring a Utopia.

>Main guy laments
>>
>>13634928

now this is PODracing
>>
>>13634928

This seems like the thread to ask...hows the Expanse? Any good?
>>
>>13635156

Gundam...in politics at least, sans mecha.
>>
>>13635174

Hows the ship design? Pilot suit design? I'm intrigued because I looked on imdb and saw Tom Jane lol
>>
File: childhoods-end-brazil.jpg (15 KB, 575x323) Image search: [Google]
childhoods-end-brazil.jpg
15 KB, 575x323
>>13634928

It's pretty cool.
>>
File: TheDeepRange.jpg (17 KB, 220x336) Image search: [Google]
TheDeepRange.jpg
17 KB, 220x336
>>13635116
Anyone read The Deep Range? It's a short story and a novel. I enjoyed that one, especially for its /m/ aspects, and I think it might be a more obscure Clarke story. It's about using one-man submarines to herd pods of domesticated whale.
>>
>>13635183

Hard...ish sci fi. I only saw the pilot episode, it would appear Mars is not the group of people you want to fuck with.
>>
>>13635221
oh yeah , i read it 2 summers ago.
Neat little story, and manages to question a certains aspect of modern civilization, human growth and sea hijinks , hard to believe this was written back in the 50s.

since then i´m suffering the effects of the submariner bug ( BTW go read leviathan by david golemon)
>>
shout out to the secret agent /m/en that worked on the show AND post on /m/!
>>
If Childhood's End was written today:

The Overlords are praised as the benevolent masters of mankind, save for a few malcontents who want their freedom to harm themselves and others back or neo-luddites who dislike the idea of relying on alien technology. The story would unfold through the eyes of a non-white woman who likes the aliens, except she slowly comes to realize they're just like the imperialist Western powers of Earth and joins the rebellion against them. By the end of the story, the humans have been brutally repressed and anti-human laws enacted in response to the terrorist resistance's attacks, and the heroine promises to keep fighting to free mankind.
>>
>>13634928
The inspiration for both Xenogears and Evangelion. No, seriously, its true. Krellian from Xenogears was originally named Karellen in Japanese.
>>
>>13635236

Started watching it.

Decent world building. Physics and gravity aren't total shit. Space ship design is alright.

>Does Thomas Jane look like Christopher Lambert to anyone else?
>>
File: ooobetch.jpg (38 KB, 590x452) Image search: [Google]
ooobetch.jpg
38 KB, 590x452
>>13635509

I'm glad someone else mentioned this.
>>
>>13635509

Was this the first book to offer the concept of "uplifting"?
>>
File: finalancillaryjusticecomposite.jpg (447 KB, 1024x504) Image search: [Google]
finalancillaryjusticecomposite.jpg
447 KB, 1024x504
>>13635445
>The Overlords are praised as the benevolent masters of mankind, save for a few malcontents who want their freedom to harm themselves and others back or neo-luddites who dislike the idea of relying on alien technology. The story would unfold through the eyes of a non-white woman who likes the aliens, except she slowly comes to realize they're just like the imperialist Western powers of Earth and joins the rebellion against them. By the end of the story, the humans have been brutally repressed and anti-human laws enacted in response to the terrorist resistance's attacks, and the heroine promises to keep fighting to free mankind.
Isn't that basically the Ancillary Justice/Sword/Mercy trilogy by Ann Leckie?
>>
>>13640887
Is the guy who did the artwork for that the same one who did the Ender's Game covers? Looks really familiar and I haven't been paying much attention to scifi recently.
>>
>>13634988
It was funny because at the time ads rolled out for this show I was pretty entrenched in DS9 and it's like Colm Meaney hasn't changed at all over the years even though you only got a blink and you miss scene with him and his voice.
>>
>>13639078
Probably in a serious way,
Though the concept has been around since SF pulp begin as spacey version of Western/Adventure pulp, where whites "uplift" savage primitive natives via Western science and religion.
>>
>>13640887
Nope, not space opera-y enough. It'd need 2 more books worth of bloat and 28% more space opera-ness to even begin to match the trilogy that redefined the term "space opera".
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.