[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this series worth my time? My friend keeps saying it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10
File: rahxephon_1.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
rahxephon_1.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
Is this series worth my time? My friend keeps saying it's great but at face value it just seems like a run of the mill Eva clone.
>>
>>13630493
Eva? Nope, the director has stated it was meant to be a modern Raideen.
>>
>>13630493
>My friend keeps saying it's great but at face value it just seems like a run of the mill Eva clone.
That's because it is

>>13630509
Yet it's a boring Eva clone.
>>
>>13630515
Then you must of found Eva boring too.
>>
>>13630493
The movie was kind of nice I guess...
It isn't really worth your time to be honest. If you've seen EVA or The Big O, you've pretty much seen it already.
>>
>>13630509

The problem is that Rahxephon and NGE both draw heavily from the same sources and put a similar spin on things, and Eva came out way too soon before Rahxephon did.

It may have been original when they started working on it, but Eva beat them to the punch and made such a big splash that even through rahxephon and NGE were both stealing imagery from older shows, Eva popularized the crap out of that imagery such that Raxephon could never hope to be thought of as anything but riding on NGE's coat tails.
>>
>>13630554
>It may have been original when they started working on it,
But they premiered like 6 years apart. Was RahXephon in (pre-)production for really damn long?
>>
>>13630533
All clones are boring, because they're just mimicking the original. Eva was fun but RahXephon wasn't.
>>
>>13630635
Logic of a 5 year old there, i think the show deserves a bit more analysis than simply LOL CLONE=BORING
>>
File: Evangelion - vs - Rahxephon.jpg (213 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion - vs - Rahxephon.jpg
213 KB, 1200x900
It is worse than a run of the mill Eva clone

An Eva clone would retain what made Evangelion interesting in the first place, and most of the time it mean gearing your very plot into a deconstruction

Raxephon is painfully trying to imitate the superficial cliché and appearance, hoping the spectator will make up themselves the plot they didn't cared to build.
It's the equivalent of the Chinese Macross-copy. Except that it has an OST good enough to pass as legit.

You've certainly heard of this :
http://evaxephon.com/ComparisonGallery/Spoiler.html
I suggest you to consider them as a whole : how probable it is, that an "original show" have so many and precise similarity at once.
There's common /m/ tropes like "kid falling in the cockpit", and then there's "meticulously reproducing word for word, frame by frame, complex ideas by complexes ideas another show, even if it make no sense with what you didn't copy.

That's my opinion anyway,
>>
It is good
>>
It's shit and looks like shit.
>Is this series worth my time?
only if you like the same shit the autists on /m/ hype
>>
>>13630493
Watch it and form an opinion.
>>
Btw the story made no sense. And not in the EVA way, it makes absolutely no fucking sense at all.
>>
>>13631213
You should really try to answer his question before telling him that.
>>
>>13631210
>only if you like the same shit the autists on /m/ hype
Ya G-reco was horrendous.
>>
>>13631226
No.
>>
I always heard it was a poor man's Eva, but one day I want to try it out.
>>
It's better than Eva and so is Fafner
>>
>>13631227
Nah, G-Reco was great.
>>
>>13631264
Either you're lying or you have tremendous shit taste.
>>
>>13630554
>Rahxephon and NGE both draw heavily from the same sources

Except that they don't at all. Raideen instead of Ultraman, music instead of the bible, etc.

The problem with Rahxephon is that it steals Eva's FORMULA.

It does get better later on when it starts to actually get original, much like Fafner (inb4 the fafner defence force starts going wahhhh fafner is nothing like eva), but the problem with Rahxephon is that while Fafner simplified things and expanded on its strengths, Rahxephon ran all the fucking way with its new age voodoo bullshit and nonsense lingo (orin must ishtori in yodelehehoo to xephon the mulians!) and the story is actually pretty fucking shallow when you get past all the stupid atlantis-speak.

>>13630624
No it wasn't, that guy is full of shit.
>>
Watch it for the effects animation.
>>
>>13630493
I've tried to watch it a couple of times, bored me literally to sleep about 7 eps in each time. Not many things manage that.
>>
>>13631256

Sadly, there is no Eva clone that's as good or better than Eva, but RahXephon was pretty good nonetheless, and certainly better than the other crappy imitators.
Eva: 9/10
RX: 7/10

Just my opinion though.
>>
There're some faggots up in here. If you have half a brain, there's no way you walk away from RahXephon saying it's an Evangelion clone.
>>
Can't really believe all of you watched the series and called it an EVA clone, literally no resemblance in characters anywhere. Only thing is robots and angel like beings, that's the only similarity. It's an enjoyable watch OP.
>>
>>13631625
>If you have half a brain, there's no way you walk away from RahXephon saying it's an Evangelion clone.
>>13631639
>Can't really believe all of you watched the series and called it an EVA clone, literally no resemblance in characters anywhere

http://evaxephon.com/ComparisonGallery/Spoiler.html
>>
>>13631625
>>13631639
>Eva thread on /m/
>People are constantly trashing the show for being unoriginal
>RX thread on /m/
>People are constantly opposing the notion that inspiration was taken from Eva like several other shows from the time period

Why the double standard bros?
>>
>>13631649
>>13631684
Raideen you asshats. That's the inspiration.
>>
>>13631684
>Why the double standard bros?
Because /m/ will do anything in order to keep the Eva hate alive, even if that means having double standards

>>13631736
Yeah, so much that everyone calls it a Raideen clone?
>>
>>13631649
A lot of those comparisons are superficial at best.
>>
>>13633442
If you think so, you probably only read one or two pages and didn't read the commentaries. There are dozens of similarities that are not cosmetic in nature.
>>
>>13633538
Straight from that site:
The gallery's purpose is to be a gallery of similarities, not to convince you that RahXephon copied Evangelion. You might believe that numerous similarities are proof of imitation, or you might not.
>>
>>13633552
As was >>13633538
>>
>>13633538
>Misato is pointing a gun!
>Haruka is pointing a gun!
>These are clearly identical!

>Quon is a Rei clone!

>The dialog is line for line identical! To prove this I'll post screenshots of captions where they are saying completely different things!

How could anyone defend this shit? It's like those stupid lists highschoolers make comparing Lincoln and JFK, or First Contact with Aliens.
>>
>>13633558
>100% correct. But, the point I'm trying to make isn't that a tank exploded in both shows; it's that several events occurred in the exact same order in both shows. The tank is just one of those events. I'm not trying to point out the tank - I'm pointing out that everything happened in the same order and in the same manner in some episodes.

>One similarity, by itself, is not convincing. The fact that there are 160 similarities is more significant than any single one of them.

I mean, you can keep living in denial if you want.
>>
Having seen both series I'll level with you, there are a good number of similarities with Eva, but mostly in fact that both series kind of have their heads way up their own asses.

That said the fights in Rahexphon are undeniably better, the story is easier to follow, the characters are more likeable and their challenges more relatable. If I had to sit down and watch one of these I would pick Rah every time, but that's just my opinion. I would say watch it and decide for yourself.
>>
>>13633565
Look, a bunch of zeros added up don't mean shit, its still going to be a bunch of zeros.

How about I add some more porintless unrelevent comparisons? both shows take place on earth! omg they stole that idea from eva.
>>
>>13633565
>I mean, you can keep living in denial if you want.
I'm betting he will.
>>
>>13633586
Anon, your strawman isn't doing you any favors here.
>>
>>13631649
The fact that you even needed a list that you stole from someone else means you couldn't even name those similarities yourself.
>>
>>13633565
>Picard has a father/son relationship with Data
>Ridley has a mother/daughter relationship with Newt

>Picard has a dream of things bulging out of him
>Ridley had a dream of things bulging out of her

>CLEARLY THESE FILMS ARE IDENTICAL
>YOU ARE JUST TOO STUPID TO NOTICE!
>>
Boy, this thread sure has Zeta-levels of delusion
>>
RaXephon is to Raideen as Eva is to Mazinger.

Also it's shit and a boring Eva clone that somehow manages to be more pretentious and self important while simultaneously having less actual meaning.
>>
I'm not denying that Rahxephon is derivative of Eva. Tons of shows are. Not to mention both are trying to do pretentious updates of super robot/kaiju shows and both end up calling back on the same old tropes.

My issue is people citing evaxephon, which is a poorly written, disingenuous site, that's essentially highschool level autismo. >>13633565
even cites one the biggest lies of of the site. He frequently takes events from the middle of eva and compares it to events from the first episode of Rahxephon. Notice he doesn't cite the episodes. If he did so he would reveal he is being disingenuous. He claims the important thing is the amount of similarities, and yet he admits several times that he's stretching things. He's padded it inflate the numbers, either using "simularities" that aren't similar at all, or using cliche's that are in most anime.

It's dishonest bullshit, and I don't understand why so many people take it as gospel.

>>13633598
implied, you can watch the damn shows yourself, and put 2 and 2 together. You don't need a dishonest cherry picked list to see similarities. Honestly I think the site was made for people to haven't seen Rahxephon, not people who have seen both. People who have seen both can tell most of this is out of context, out of order, and cherry picking.
>>
>>13633655
So citing a source is now considered a sign that you haven't watched a show?

You are going to suffer when you have to end up taking English 1010, anon.
>>
>>13633587
Looks like you're right, anon.
>>
>>13633662
>>13633665
because posting a random link means youve wont at the internet?
just wait until i make a site that shows what evangelion stole from rahxephon and post it here, and i'll show you guys who the real winner is!
>>
>>13633662
>You are going to suffer when you have to end up taking English 1010, anon.
And you are going to suffer when you try handing in an assignment using wikipedia as your source.
>>
File: Rahxephon.jpg (2 MB, 2020x3248) Image search: [Google]
Rahxephon.jpg
2 MB, 2020x3248
>>13633442
> A lot of those comparisons are superficial at best.
Only taken separately with no attention to how conspicious they match with such precision.
>>13633558
> How could anyone defend this shit? It's like those stupid lists highschoolers make comparing Lincoln and JFK, or First Contact with Aliens.

Dude, do you know how unlikely it is for two series to have so much similarity ?
I dare you, I dare you not to find show that have equivalent ideas to not a few one, but many very specific one

Let's take a few really improbable one :
> Throne On A Religious Symbol (for a hero's father commanding a special organization which is unpopular)
+
> False Friendship (between Misato / Kusanagi character-type)
+
> Mention to significant event 10/20 years ago
+
> main character running away (letter optional)
+
> Rei-like character (this one is easy... if taken alone)
+
> Main robot, made from the enemy, have a true form, which can include wing, and have their own mind
+
> Naked Girl Transforms Into Giant White Angel
+
> Odd Eating Habits (just to show how improbable reusing some gag are)

Go on, I dare anyone to prove me having every single one of those AT ONCE is "common" or accidental
>>
>>13634091
Several of those tropes existed before Eva and Rah. Plus, some of those comparisons are flat out wrong.

>False Friendship (between Misato / Kusanagi character-type)
There was no "false friendship" in Rah.
>Main robot, made from the enemy, have a true form, which can include wing, and have their own mind
The RahXephon wasn't made from the enemy.
>Odd Eating Habits (just to show how improbable reusing some gag are)
This has existed for decades before Eva was even a concept.
>>
>>13631823
More people know of Eva than Raideen.
>>
>>13631269
You are shit, your mom is a pile of cow shit and your father is a t-girl whore.

See, I can shitpost too, anon
>>
>people actually citing Evaxephon like it's a credible source

I'm not surprised that one of the people doing it can barely structure a sentence in English.
>>
File: Evangelion - ________.jpg (129 KB, 900x671) Image search: [Google]
Evangelion - ________.jpg
129 KB, 900x671
>>13633655
The method used to point out the similarities might look like a little childish, but what it lack in finesse it make up in quantity, which is a pretty powerful tool in itself. Most science is done with statistical analysis p < 0.00001.

Still, we'll want to agree on what those similarity would mean if proved irrefutable.

Can a story (Serious ? Parodic ? Homage ?) be considered skillful/consistent or just plain enjoyable, if it was made entirely to match the plot/ideas of something else ?

A parodic show have no problem with that, because the nonsensical, idiosyncratic reference are expected.
An homage is, expected in some measure to show its works, reusing or even improving from a model.
For serious show however, resemblance are excused or expected to justify itself a lot.

Since Rahxephon was clearly meant as an original story, It don't bode well.
>>
>>13634273
Also, no matter how much the director deny it, Rahxephon take much more from Eva than Raideen or other stuff.
That's common to pretend your lazy copy is inspired by obscure stuff.
>>
Does it really matter whether it's a clone or not when it's a thousand times better than Eva?
>>
>>13634459

Only contrarians actually believe this.
>>
It like Fafner is better than what people draw comparisons to.
>>
>>13634468
Only eva fanboys believe this.
>>
File: 1411980587928[1].jpg (27 KB, 279x304) Image search: [Google]
1411980587928[1].jpg
27 KB, 279x304
>>13634476

Better an Eva fanboy than some lame twat who wastes his breath hyping up truly unremarkable shows that everyone else forgot about within a month or two of viewing because he can't enjoy anything popular regardless of truly great it is.
>>
>>13634532
>unremarkable
say what you will about Rah but unremarkable it is not.
>>
>>13634469
But you can't deny that Fafner was at its lowest when it was an Eva clone, and even then it wasn't as obvious as RahXephon. Fafner improved when they realized they made an original story they could improve, instead of being an Eva clone forever.
>>
>>13634832
Not even a Fafnerfag, but it never was a Eva clone to begin with. It only had some vague resemblance during DA's first 12 episodes
>>
>>13634851
>Not even a Fafnerfag, but it never was a Eva clone to begin with. It only had some vague resemblance during DA's first 12 episodes
It was a subtle yet noticeable Eva clone for the first 6 episodes then it steadly improved towards the 12th episode
>>
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itOeux4ns18
>>
>>13631277
fidf here.
It's an Eva clone, but it does quickly shed that mantle.

To OP, I do see the similarities between RahXephon and NGE, but honestly I think they're really different.
Shinji is a crybaby, Ayato is a lot less maladjusted.

Also, I felt that the shows both start differently enough, much differently than Fafner and NGE.
>>
>>13634896

The only great episode in the series. As a whole, it's decent at best and Eva's influence is clearly there. Fafner is better (and obviously Eva is better than both).
>>
>>13634459
Maybe? I'd put Eva slightly ahead, but eh.
>>13634878
Yeah, I mean the Cave of The Valkyrie vs. Central Dogma, the music, Fumihiko taking his wife's surname like Gendo. I could go on.
>>
>>13634437
>Can a story (Serious ? Parodic ? Homage ?) be considered skillful/consistent or just plain enjoyable, if it was made entirely to match the plot/ideas of something else ?

>Since Rahxephon was clearly meant as an original story, It don't bode well.

Well that shouldn't be a problem since you would have to be completely dishonest to claim RahXephon was made ENTIRELY to match the plot/ideas of Evangelion, even if you think RX is an Eva clone on some level.
>>
>>13630493
If it's an evaclone, does it cover the depression of the main character? Because the original ending was the only interesting thing about Eva.
>>
>>13630493
Stick with it! Trust me.
>>
I don't like Eva in the first place but the clone vibe is so strong that it hurts. The whole thing is a cringe experience. It's also painfully boring and pretty shit on top of that. It's like NGE without the good parts.
>>
It's kinda funny, that while RahXephon stole a lot of things from Eva, Eva's manga stole RahXephon's ending.
>>
>>13630493
I watched it when it came out, and... well, because of that, I can't remember a damn thing about its contents, but I do remember having some moments of genuine delight and wonder with it. And some somber ones. Definitely good memories.
>>
>>13630493
It's a less interesting Eva clone, which is unfortunate because it's got a nice aesthetic. For some reason people who like Rahxephon refuse to admit it's an almost 1:1 rip just because it has a happy ending, as you can see already.
>>
>>13636710
No, you just have a shitty idea of what a clone is.
>>
>>13636710
>happy ending
Did we watch the same RaXephon?
Shit was fucking nihilistic.
>>
My god, why can't we have a Rahxephon thread without bringing Evagelion comparison into it? That's why Eva fanboys are insufferable. At least Dune or Kurosawa fanboys don't compare those series with Star Wars in every fucking thread.
>>
>>13637046
To be fair it's in the very OP.
>>
>>13633558
>>Misato is pointing a gun!
>>Haruka is pointing a gun!
>>These are clearly identical!
Yeah, comparing the gun scenes is a stretch.

Comparing how the characters are basically the exact fucking same, with the same personality and role in the story, with the only significance difference being Haruka's last minute secret lovers asspull, on the other hand...
>>
File: 1443327639933.png (417 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1443327639933.png
417 KB, 1366x768
>longest Rah thread in a while
>it's filled with Eva comparisons and shitposting
>>
>>13637046

RahXephon fans can't help but mention Eva in these threads regardless if the OP mentions the latter.
>>
File: 1264998919101.jpg (420 KB, 1365x2103) Image search: [Google]
1264998919101.jpg
420 KB, 1365x2103
>>13635940
> Well that shouldn't be a problem since you would have to be completely dishonest to claim RahXephon was made ENTIRELY to match the plot/ideas of Evangelion, even if you think RX is an Eva clone on some level.

Meh, of course the sort of guys who would find Gundam Seed DESTINY original wouldn't mind being served an ersatz, assuming they could recognize it as such.

To my entitled opinion RahXephon would simply not exist if its goal wasn't to be an Eva-clone with a more friendly aesthetic than depressed fuck. The only reason it didn't match it closer was probably because there would have been Lawsuit (and it's hard to pull off, look at disney Atlantis and Nadia----)

>>13637489
What ? You've got to tell a director we aren't fooled by his bullshit.
You could have had an original show with RX's lovely aesthetic and music, but instead you got an half-assed copy.

It's not hard to do a show that isn't an Eva-clone, you just have to care.
>>
File: 1264999317168.jpg (530 KB, 1344x2088) Image search: [Google]
1264999317168.jpg
530 KB, 1344x2088
>>13637778
might as well post the second pic, it's a pair
>>
>>13635520
>Yeah, I mean the Cave of The Valkyrie vs. Central Dogma
Not even Eva-unique concept

>the music
What?

>Fumihiko taking his wife's surname like Gendo
Not even a big deal.

>I could go on
No, you couldn't
>>
>>13630493
I found it different enough from Eva to be interesting.
>>
>>13637778
>You've got to tell a director we aren't fooled by his bullshit.
Holy shit how delusional can you get.
>>
>>13630493
Yes.
Rahxephon is a well written show with some very touching moments.
>>
>>13630515
Rahxephon has a protag that isn't insufferable like Shinji.

I wish I was 14 and had daddy issues when I first saw Eva, I just cannot stand that shit show..
>>
>>13637788
The staff has made comments to the affect that it was intentioned as a riff on NGE.
>>
>>13638198

It's actually possible to empathize with Shinji without being exactly like him. Ayato has no personality.
>>
>>13638111
Not as much as RahXephonfags it seems
>>
>>13638199
Sure, that makes it a Eva clone, yup
>>
>>13638229
Get lost, pathetic dickwhore
>>
>>13638304
At least I'm not a delusional fag
>>
File: 1421355792655.jpg (141 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1421355792655.jpg
141 KB, 803x688
>>13635491
>Shinji is a crybaby
>>
File: 1450237261839.png (66 KB, 533x414) Image search: [Google]
1450237261839.png
66 KB, 533x414
>>13638390
I don't know where RX touched you but i think it's time to let go bruv.
>>
>>13639192
And I don't know where Anno touched you that you can't admit RX is an Eva clone
>>
>>13630493
I like this because the MC fuck a cake
>>
>>13630493
I enjoyed it. You might too.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.