[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of putting your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: Gundam.jpg (28 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Gundam.jpg
28 KB, 300x225
What would be the advantages and disadvantages of putting your brain in a mech to pilot it as opposed to the traditional style of piloting?
>>
>>13615505
The weakest part of your robot would then be your brain, not your fleshy human body.
Instead of life support, you'll have a system that keeps your brain alive, which might probably be smaller. Overall a smaller "cockpit" block.

It also means that you can't eject, unless you got a backup "body" for you to eject with. If shit goes wrong and you are going down, you're pretty much fucked unless you got a backup eject pod that can get you back home.
>>
File: XCOM_EW_MECTrooper_Augmentation.png (337 KB, 577x480) Image search: [Google]
XCOM_EW_MECTrooper_Augmentation.png
337 KB, 577x480
>>13615505
Soldier's wouldn't be able to live normal lives in peace-time? Kind of reminds me of MEC troopers from xcom where they'd willingly chop off their appendages and then use an exoskeleton.
>>
You can't fug people inside it if you're a brain senpai
>>
>>13615505
Shorter reaction time, probably. When you control the mecha, the impulses go directly from your brain, without having to take a detour through your body.
>>
>>13615538
Also, you can put what the sensors see straight to the pilot's brain.

No need to put shit on the screen and fiddle with buttons and such to see specific things.
>>
>>13615528
>Soldier's wouldn't be able to live normal lives in peace-time?

Make buildings big enough for the robots.
>>
>>13615554
Or just smaller backup bodies.
>>
>>13615558

But that's not as funny.

I want to see an RX-78 come home from a day of work, hang up his giant coat like from macross, and smack his Dom wife on the ass when she's in the kitchen.
>>
>>13615505
You talking about Gundam or just mechs in general?
>>
>>13615529
You haven't seen that one doujin, have you anon?
>>
>>13615505
hope you don't ever gotta eject, nigga.
>>
On one hand you can no longer live a normal life. On the other hand you are now a giant robot. I would go for it.
>>
File: gundam_is_life.jpg (455 KB, 1600x1074) Image search: [Google]
gundam_is_life.jpg
455 KB, 1600x1074
>>13615568
>>
>>13615600
The one where the tentacle aliens get inside the mech and mind-break the girl or is there another one?
>>
>>13615837
The one where the pilot's brain gets implanted into the mech after the kaiju girls crushes his body. He returns to rape the kaiju girls with his new mech penis.
>>
>>13615845
Source
>>
Advantage:finally, you are gundam
>>
>>13615845
Kira Yamato I need to read this
>>
>>13615845
Oh my god this sounds amazing
>>
File: 1421_Sensory_Homunculus.jpg (70 KB, 800x797) Image search: [Google]
1421_Sensory_Homunculus.jpg
70 KB, 800x797
Cortical Homunculus, the mecha anime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortical_homunculus

FUND IT
>>
A mech that could replenish and repair itself?
Or even upgrade itself and create other mechs, connected to the primary mech's brain?
>>
We are better at using machines than using our limbs.
Hear me out.
Humans are naturally designed to be tool users. We have the ability to project our beings onto items and objects, sort of like extensions of our self. Sort of like the old sword fighting saying, that your weapon is an extension of your body. Same goes for when people pilot vehicles. Read accounts of people in ww2 and stuff and they'll tell you that the machine they flew was a part of them. It was there being despite not being connected by anything more than touch. Now if you were to say put your brain in a robot, you would just be a dude with your same old limitations. You could not project yourself onto something larger and incorporate it unless you were to pilot a larger comically sized robot.

TL;DR Using a mouse and keyboard is easier than using a wii-mote.
>>
>>13616156
but you use machines using your limbs
>>
>>13616160
Yes. We have better control over things like our fingers though. My point was broader controls don't equal better controls since people have the ability to project their presence with tools.
>>
File: 423289868.jpg (49 KB, 775x448) Image search: [Google]
423289868.jpg
49 KB, 775x448
>>13615505
Advantages:
- More room for stuff since you don't have to accommodate for a cockpit or at least a complete human body
- Theoretically, quicker response times since you are getting rid of the middleman by negating step where a pilot would have to use his motorskills to push a button or move a lever. The brain would interface with the mech directly instead of through hand movement and traditional interface.
-...and to piggy back off of the above, it should cut down on the pilot training since you don't have to go over what every little switch does and the brains would already be used to a humanoid body.
- Pilots should have a longer shelf life since they are only physically limited by the brain/nervous system and won't have to fold their wings over a bum shoulder or whatever.

Disadvantages:
- you are probably not going to get to put the brain back and thus aren't coming to find many people willing to do the procedure.
- developing the technology that can read brain signals accurately, consistently, and quickly is probably going to be very costly and time consuming
- You'll have to figure out how to keep the brain itself alive and healthy.
- Combat can probably take a more psychologically stressful. As a pilot gettin your mech's legs blown off may not be such a big deal, but for a brain-bot, it's YOUR legs that are getting blown off.
- And you'll need to find another brain that is drift-compatible.

Other than that, they brains would still suffer the same mental stresses that they would if they were human pilots.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.
>>
immortality?
>>
>>13615845
gonna need this asap
>>
>>13615505
You become a dreadnaught.

>Even in death, I came here to laugh at you.
>>
File: Zaku Kan.jpg (259 KB, 451x552) Image search: [Google]
Zaku Kan.jpg
259 KB, 451x552
>>13619158
>being a weak humie
>not being an Ork
>>
>>13618533
No.

The Brain is prone to aging just like everything else in the body.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.