[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Char's Counterattack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 294x294
Are you fucking kidding me? That's how they end a 14 year conflict? Am I being punked? Almost nothing was explained, and everything started making no sense about an hour and a half in. Just, WHAT THE FUCK? End of Evangelion was less fucking confusing. 3 whole series, just for it to not matter a fucking bit. God damn it, I hate Tomino. I have no idea what the point was of me watching that when the ending was possibly the most flaccid thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>13603745
You can watch Unicorn now, if that helps.
>>
>>13603752
It doesn't. I don't even have the motivation to watch the rest of UC. I've been betrayed by tomino once again
>>
watch IBO instead if it's too complicated for you
>>
>>13603745
the feddie v zeon conflcit or char's and amuro's?
for FvZ it continues for more years.
for Amuro and Char, they made up dude. both Amuro and Char resonated with their psycho frames and became beings of pure will power and they pushed axis back together. both are killing with lalah in the afterlife, well char does posses a man to try one time to rile shit up but after that he's cool. CCA gets better with rewatches but it will never be perfect.
>>
>>13603761
Once again? Sounds like you should've watched 0079and called it a day lol but honestly I feel about CCA the same way I feel about Return of the Jedi: it had a lot of good stuff in there, but it's watered down by some pointless padding and ends up kind of a 7 out of 10. I wouldn't say bad, but flawed. Also don't get your hopes up for unicorn.
>>
File: quessdrinkd.jpg (52 KB, 359x507) Image search: [Google]
quessdrinkd.jpg
52 KB, 359x507
>>13603745
who did you hate more? quess or hathaway?
i love them both.
>>
>>13603745
EOE is less confusing? lol bullshit.
Char wants to fufill his fathers dream for his mother but he also wants to kill amuro in a fair fight for killing lalah so he take advantage of weaksauce EF and buys axis from them so he can use it for "refugees" even though he just drop another rock right before that. He uses some dumb 13yrold newtype prodigy while brights son and chars underling want to dick her, but she just wants amuro and then chars penis in her.
>>
>>13603778
I like Quess when she isn't talking.
>>
File: quessassa.jpg (42 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
quessassa.jpg
42 KB, 436x600
>>13603790
I like her all the time. her fault was just that she fell in with the wrong people and her heart was too big. poor quess. i like the evolve short where tomino spared her.
>>
>>13603745
>Almost nothing was explained
>everything started making no sense about an hour and a half in
Why are idiots the only ones making CCA threads?
>>
I remember that some time ago an anon made a thread were he corrected some translation errors/liberties and the like with the CCA subs.
Did anything come out of that? Was a sub file created?
>>
File: 1414000152236.jpg (74 KB, 456x352) Image search: [Google]
1414000152236.jpg
74 KB, 456x352
>>13603752
But Unicorn is shit, anon.
>>
File: 1379017529603.jpg (130 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1379017529603.jpg
130 KB, 960x720
>>13603745
CCA is shit, but overall it isn't that confusing. The single most baffling this is that Char and Amuro were bros in Zeta. They laughed at people and didn't afraid of anything.

Then suddenly BAM! Char decides to seize power of Zeon after Haman Karn got pwn'd, and now you have a full blown conflict.
>>
>>13603745
CCA is just a shorter version of Zeta.
>>
>>13603974
>I can't into subtext
It's pretty obvious at this point that most of the people ranting about CCA are complete retards that need IBO level of exposition to understand anything.
>>
File: 1419885909614.jpg (84 KB, 800x623) Image search: [Google]
1419885909614.jpg
84 KB, 800x623
>>13603974
Enjoy.
>>
>>13603997
Someone should make a montage about Zeta final episode with the stage scene where the lights cast two shadows on Char while Haman and Scirocco questions his motivations with great insight of his character. Plus the line he gave Kamille about young people being the ones to build the future.
>>
>>13603745
Gundam is fucking stupid for the content, watch it for the action. Zeta should have taught you that
>>
How most people wanted it to go

(start scene)
Amuro: Damn you Char, and your ways of evil!
Char: So fast! This is worse than our fated battle at {time and place}!
Amuro: Zeon is evil and must be stopped!
Char: You could have chosen to comewith me and live!
>>
>>13604033
This really sound like all those preachy modern shows like Unicorn.

It's painful to know that retards don't understand anything else.
>>
>>13603745
>Almost nothing was explained
Or maybe you're just a retard. Stick to ZZ.
>>
>>13604048
>Stick to ZZ
More like IBO, ZZ doesn't have enough exposition.
>>
>>13603745
Maybe you should go back watching your IBO and avoid tomino shows. That'll help you appreciate more shows with massive exposition dump.
>>
>>13603745

I love CCA and EoE...not seeing the similarities.
CCA is so straightforward, wtf aren't you getting? Technology be so wack it's space magic, dude. That's all there is to know.
>>
>>13603778
She looks like Yui Takanaka from Megazone 23, if you give her right haircut. Or like Ishtar from Macross 2.
I like Quess for acting like a real-life spoiled teen girl. I wonder how would she change if she could survive and if Char won.
By the way, why does nobody talk about Nanai? She looks good, her backstory manga is okay, her voice is great. But why is she not on screen for the most of the movie? She's more important to the story than Chan.
>>
>>13604146

> By the way, why does nobody talk about Nanai? She looks good and her voice is great.

Here, I've made an edit that might give you an idea why most people don't care about her character. Her back-story is in a manga most people probably haven't read or have any desire to read. What's in the movie is pretty superficial and boring. She's just a woman devoted to Char and good at her job. She doesn't stick out in a good or bad way, she's just part of the background basically.

> But why is she not on screen for the most of the movie? She's more important to the story than Chan.

She's not really. I imagine she's not on screen more because while Amuro has genuine feelings for Chan and they are supporting each other Char doesn't really seem to care about Nanai beyond her usefulness. Having her only appear in a small amount of scenes makes that more apparent.
>>
>>13603745
>Almost nothing was explained, and everything started making no sense about an hour and a half in

I think at this point "It didn't make sense" is pretty much just code for
>it didn't happen the way i wanted it to happen
>>
>>13603745
Stick to IBO faggot
>>
>>13604222
it means
>I watched nu vs sazabi 1080p full fight HD uncut on youtube and i dont get why they are fighting again after zeta?
>>
>>13604146
>But why is she not on screen for the most of the movie?
Because Tomino was mad at the animators for being unable to transmit sexual tension, he said they wouldn't be able to understand pussy if he showed them one, so he said he didn't use her character a lot.
>>
>>13603745
Is it really so unbelivable to think that Char's had it with this shit after years of the Earth Federation not changing and Earthnoids being themselves? I mean he did his best in Zeta, and being chummy with Amuro was part of achiving his goal, but you can't help but wonder if he's still salty about Lalah and never truly beating Amuro.

I dunno, CCA makes sense to me.
>>
>>13604277

> Is it really so unbelivable to think that Char's had it with this shit after years of the Earth Federation not changing and Earthnoids being themselves?

In my opinion, yes. Though not for that exact reason. The problem I have with the shift from Zeta to Char's Counterattack is that his priority goes from the future of newtypes, the corruption in the EF leadership and the Earth i.e. Contolism to get everyone off Earth asap and who cares about newtypes or even really about the Federation i.e. Ere-ism.

> but you can't help but wonder if he's still salty about Lalah and never truly beating Amuro

Which is the other thing I find unbelievable about the shift. I cannot imagine Char in Zeta having that problem with Amuro or that obsession with Lalah. Char in Zeta has found a way to make peace with it. He can feel Lalah's ghost in space and he recognizes that what happened with Lalah was an unfortunate accident that shouldn't define their relationship.

And then in Char's Counterattack he's running around like a horny schoolgirl flirting with Amuro "Look Amuro-kun, I'm being naughty. You have to catch me okay?".

Now, that isn't to say that I think the two cannot be resolved as connected stories. They absolutely can, but the two don't follow as smoothly as I'd like essentially. I've always felt the above stuck out a lot and made the whole thing feel weird so when I found out that the original idea for Zeta part II actually addressed and resolved them more completely I began to resent Char's Counterattack a little, because Zeta Part II, at least in the brief synopsis given seems to round out the end of early UC and Char's story a lot better.
>>
>>13603745
Money was his objective
>>
Char's Counterattack is a capstone that wraps up the two core characters of the story while also providing a bombastic restatement of the story's themes. It makes some stumbles along the way, but there's nothing really all that confusing about it.

I'd say it's a very conclusive ending. Even when I first got into Gundam I didn't understand the butthurt over it, and I still don't. It's not an amazing movie but it succeeds at most of what it does. People complaining about Char's characterization just weren't paying much attention during Zeta, I think. You could argue that there are other reasonable directions Tomino could have taken Char, but the one we got is believable enough.
>>
>>13604580
People being confused by CCA confuses me.
>>
>>13604789
Stick to Xabungle.
>>
I always assumed that CCA happened because the trauma of Char's past caught up to him and finally broke him.His actions in the CCA go against his character development in Zeta but make sense when you look at Char's past.
>>
>ITT: /m/ falls to shitty bait, again.
>>
The one element that's genuinely confusing and a valid criticism of the film:

>>13604651
>>
File: 1437055732472.jpg (11 KB, 224x291) Image search: [Google]
1437055732472.jpg
11 KB, 224x291
>>13603974
They were only "bros" at the time because Char needed Amuro for his own agenda.
>>
>>13603974
>huuuuuur
>MSG Char
>Wants to beat the Federation and kill Zabis
>Zeta Char
>Wants to defeat the Titans and the Federation
>CCA Char
>Wants to defeat the federation, drop axis, and settle his score with Amuro
DRASTIC CHANGES IN CHARACTER CCA IS SO SHIT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND
>>
>>13604849
>His actions in the CCA go against his character development in Zeta
Go rewatch Zeta final episode.
>>
>>13604883
Pray tell, what was this agenda you are speaking of?
>>
>>13604931
defeating the federation
>>
>>13604931
To stop the Tea Tahns and eventually Haman. Do you really think the AEUG would be ok with him if he started shit with Amuro?
>>
>>13604940

He doesn't seem interested in starting shit with Amuro at any point during the entire show. Even in his private thoughts he's more mystified why Amuro has lost the will to fight than anything.
>>
>>13604849

The thing that people don't get is that people end up regressing with these things. Kind like how an Alchoholic will be clean for a few years, and then their dog will die and they will fall back into old habbits. Char making his way out of being depressed over Lalah, but come the general failure of the AEUG at the end of the Gryps war Char fell back into it.
>>
>>13605127

People don't normally regress in to bereavement once they've gotten over the loss of a loved one. I've never heard of it personally at least, and on Googling it I can't find anything about people suffering it either. People might regress to prior modes of behavior as part of the process of bereavement and keep those old modes even after they're gotten through the bereavement - but they don't really regress back in to actual bereavement itself.
>>
OP here, I've calmed down a bit and after thinking about it it was a pretty good movie. I just don't know why they wouldn't talk at all about what Char had been doing for 7 years, and how he ended up amassing an army. I still have no idea what the point of Chan's character was, or what the little metal T she kept carrying around did. I was also hoping they'd show what happened to Hathaway after he raged and killed Chan, did anyone ever find out?

I think I made a mistake in my post when I said it's more confusing than EoE, I think I meant to say EoE was more straightforward. In that, you can at least see which characters died and what happened, with this I didn't even understand that Astonaige died because it happened so quickly. It's not a perfect movie, but I think I might watch it again in a few days now that I've already seen it and won't be focusing on the story
>>
>>13605235
>metal T
that's the psyco frame
>>
>>13605235
Don't worry about it too much. Now you get to go on to 0080, that's pretty nice.
>>
>>13605235
>I just don't know why they wouldn't talk at all about what Char had been doing for 7 years, and how he ended up amassing an army

He more than likely started gathering remnants from the Neo Zeon war and just built on top of that. Char manipulates people all the time so it's not like it'd be hard for him to get them on his side.
>>
>>13605251
So what is it? I get that it's some Newtype thing Char leaked the blueprints for so Amuro would be equal in heir fight, but why is it so powerful and why did Chan exploding set it off?
>>
File: warriors.jpg (48 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
warriors.jpg
48 KB, 960x720
>>
>>13605297
Because no one know how Psychoframe really work.
They assume that Psychoframe just a tool to control mobile suit better.
>>
>>13605234

>once they've gotten over the loss of a loved one

That never happened though. Char was quite open that he was never actually over it. He had just managed to live with it and did'nt want to sit around festering like Amuro did. He was basically saying " It doesn't matter how we feel Amuro, we have to just do this anyways", not that he was fully over Lalah's death.

That and Newtype relationships work differently than human ones do. When oldtypes lose a love one they don't get visited by their spirit at night like with newtypes- that has got to fuck you up quite a bit.
>>
>>13605297
Chan's exploding did not set off the Axis shock. It was Amuro understanding that Char was seeking a mother in Lalah just like he did.
>>
>>13606906
>just like he did
Who?Amuro?
>>
>>13606952
Amuro wanted Lalah to be his mother too.
>>
>>13605235
Tomino doesn't spoonfeed. You either pay attention or you go watch IBO, this show is so heavy on exposition even a lobotomized monkey could understand it.
>>
>>13606282

> Char was quite open that he was never actually over it. He had just managed to live with it

What exactly do you think getting over a death means anon? Learning to live with it in some manner is getting over a death. The fact is newtypes have an easier time not a harder one, because the ghost of a newtype actually exists and they know, for real, definite and certain that the person isn't gone but only just moved on. There's no guessing like normal folks have to do. And Char openly stated that he could feel Lalah's ghost in space. So he could on some level interact with her whenever he wanted and had learned to live with the fact that was the only way he could do so.

He's more over that death than most people in history have ever been over the death of their partner.
>>
>>13607691
That seems like it'd be worse to me. Imagine having a loved one die and constantly see them floating around your room while you're trying to masturbate to some really dirty stuff but they won't fuck off.
>>
>>13607708

Lalah was a prostitute - I don't think she or Char would have a problem with him jerking off to some hardcore shit as she watched.
>>
File: me3endings4-300x221.jpg (23 KB, 300x221) Image search: [Google]
me3endings4-300x221.jpg
23 KB, 300x221
>>13603745
CCA in a few words
>>
>>13607871
No, not everybody.
Hathaway lived, and he will ruin it for everyone via his pointless rebellion.
At the very least Bright and Kai survived as well.
>>
>>13605235
Astonaige and Chan deaths were the reasons I hated the ending. Come on, why kill Astonaige? Just why? And Chan was killed in such a way that is not even reasonable. I know, I should've exlected it, because Tomino.
>>
>>13607871
Bright lived.
>>
>>13607716
>prostitute
If Origin version won't be animated. And I hope it will be animated.
Why would Char need masturbation when he has an indian qt ready to be his lover and wingwoman?
>>
>>13607876
And Nanai will disappear almost without a trace. BtT says that she gave birth to Char's son and became a go player/teacher.
>>
>>13607905
Because that would sound like an Oedipus complex?
>>
>>13607911
>Nanai Miguel, 1st Dan in Go
Can't see it happening, but that sounds pretty fitting for some reason.
>>
>>13607913
How? He's fucking a girl, which doesn't look like his mother. All the non-familiar people won't see it.
>>
Liking CCA or Tomino is the worst meme.
>>
>>13603974
>Char decides to seize power of Zeon after Haman Karn got pwn'd, and now you have a full blown conflict.
Char's actual past was public knowledge after the OYW. Sweetwater was full of burned-out Zeek loyalists. Why wouldn't they let the son of Deikun lead them?
>>
>>13607884
The same reason MSG and Zeta characters appear in one or two episodes and die in ZZ. Tomino needs people to kill off without warning to remind you about war without fucking up the plot.
>>
>>13608026
hello reddit
>>
>>13609220
War isn't hell unless it DOES claim the protagonists and completely fuck up the plot.
>>
>>13609907
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>13609911
Characters who're either too irrelevant or unknown can die left and right without their deaths having any sort of lasting lesson or impact.

The only ways for a series to really make war disgusting are A) including a child-unfriendly gorefest where people are getting maimed, murdered, incinerated and splattered on screen as if the 80s were back in style, or B) killing off prominent plot-relevant characters to drive the plot off the rails and make viewers realize the drastic consequences of war.
>>
>>13610042
You're having a really hard time differentiating between Hayato or Astonaige and a faceless nobody.

>including a child-unfriendly gorefest where people are getting maimed, murdered, incinerated and splattered on screen as if the 80s were back in style
That's just fetishizing it.
>killing off prominent plot-relevant characters to drive the plot off the rails and make viewers realize the drastic consequences of war.
I'm just going to ask if you're a retard again

You can't show the effect of war on people if they're all dead. The problems of war are not just "people die to death"
>>
>>13610129
I never said they all had to die. Only that war's a lot less glorified when the remaining characters get royally fucked by an MC's death.

War's a lot less glamorous when you go from focusing on invincible MC to his pals struggling to survive without him.

Bonus points if the MC was a gung ho "war is good/just/the only way" type soldier.

As an example, IBO would instantly improve if the MC got himself killed in battle. It'd open up a lot more avenues for creative storytelling if the plot didn't hinge on a very small subset of characters.
>>
>>13610147

> I never said they all had to die. Only that war's a lot less glorified when the remaining characters get royally fucked by an MC's death.

Not him, but I find war is a lot less glamorous when your main characters are eating shitty food because there's nothing else available and they're living in miserable conditions because they have no choice. You don't have to kill off your main cast to emphasize that war is a miserable experience - you just have to show why it's miserable. Blackadder Goes Forth is great at emphasizing the shittiness of conditions in World War I and finding humor in it's pointlessness despite only suggesting (heavily) the death of the main characters right at the end.

One of the best depictions of the idiocy of war in Gundam to me is Turn-A. Not because it focuses on misery, but because it builds up a really idyllic setting and then shows how even just the threat of war screws it up for the people there. It means an old woman has to give up the farm she's had all her life, that families scrabble to find food for themselves because the farms are abandoned and the military are taking most of it and so on. And then when Dianna goes to work in the war hospital you see all the soldiers laid out in horrific conditions with severe wounds and hear one of them screaming as he's amputated and that's enough. You don't need to show the gore, only suggest it. Even in the hospital they're not safe though, as the entire thing is nearly set on fire as part of a battle only an episode or two later.
>>
>>13610259

And that wasn't even a full blown war - that was just skirmishes during a negotiation for land. The show succeeded where others like Victory often failed despite really only having this stuff be side-stories to the main cast because it showed how even normal people get fucked by conflict despite the best efforts of the heroes.

There are lots of ways to show that war is shitty, pointless and fucks up lives. I don't have anything against stories using gore or death to do so, but I find that I tend to prefer and take more from shows that don't kill off the main cast or engage in gore but take the time to show how it fucks up lives and how it can be a miserable experience on a lot more levels than simple death.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.