[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished this and I must ask, what the fuck? Did they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: Dancouga.png (416 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Dancouga.png
416 KB, 640x480
I just finished this and I must ask, what the fuck? Did they ran out of budget or what was up with last few episodes and that "ending"?

I still kinda enjoyed it and want to know if sequels/Nova are worth watching.
>>
Dancouga Burn is a fun read, if you don't mind Hasegawa's art style.
>>
>>13582773

Nova's cool but don't expect an actual sequel
>>
File: a typical hasegawa human.png (235 KB, 766x573) Image search: [Google]
a typical hasegawa human.png
235 KB, 766x573
>>13582773
Requiem is the ending, go watch it.

God Bless is pretty good.

Burning Epilogue is mostly untranslated, apparently it's rather bad.

Dancouga Nova isn't all that bad, despite /m/ going fucking nuts about it (then again, /m/ goes fucking nuts about anything), and is generally worth a watch.

...and then there's Dancouga Burn. Dancouga Burn is a silly thing.
>>
>>13582773
The ending was aired as a special "Requiem for the Victims"
>>
File: kurara weg.jpg (211 KB, 1827x480) Image search: [Google]
kurara weg.jpg
211 KB, 1827x480
It feels good to be proven wrong now and again
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6X-AybWmk0wIJgcC3q_IlESRVkeTU5Z0

Be sure to watch the concert with the VAs singing! It's just like your Sympogeah!

Jokes aside, it's one of the rare times you hear the singing of the late Kaneto Shiozawa
>>
Why it's so rare to hear about dancouga on /m/?

>all units has not just one, but TWO transformations
>and they can COMBINE
I think it's pretty good. The designs are mostly nice and characters are interesting, main character isn't 12 years old and it doesn't have "muh understanding". The pacing is kinda all over the place, but that's like only complain about it. Well that, and first transformations to humanoid form, because that flashing shit was pretty awful.
>>
>>13584674
>Why it's so rare to hear about dancouga on /m/?
Have you been mistakenly visiting >>>/mu/ half the time?
>>
>>13584678
I've been here for 3 years. I only see it mentioned when someone asks for 80s-90s shows and when it got bluray. And every time there's some asshat who claims it's shit.
>>
>>13584685
Most discussion of it actually happens in the SRW threads since it's in those games all the time.
>>
>>13583153
>Dancouga Nova isn't all that bad, despite /m/ going fucking nuts about it
It's not only /m/ that hates Nova.
It aired some time ago in Poland, on the now defunct Hyper channel... the general reaction was 'wtf they're airing', and when I look now on one of the country's biggest m&a websites, the reviewer just trashed it (giving it 2/10), and people in comments section consider it either crap or 'so bad it's good'.
I personally somewhat enjoyed it, though the last episode had moments so stupid that I can't believe anybody could do this without intending it to be a parody.
>>
Anyone got the screen caps of the villain getting a nice retirement from the emperor?

Also did the Nova DVDs ever get fully subbed? I feel like I've been waiting forever to watch it.
>>
>>13584734
>Also did the Nova DVDs ever get fully subbed?
No. The subninjas hate this show even more than the other shows they try to prevent people from doing.
>>
File: 1434165869202.jpg (342 KB, 519x3500) Image search: [Google]
1434165869202.jpg
342 KB, 519x3500
>>13584734
This one?

>Did they ran out of budget or what was up with last few episodes and that "ending"?

Rather than "budget" - The show got cancelled so the production team had to try and conclude the story in about 8 episodes, having lost about 12-14 episodes due to the cancelling.

I think most people can agree that the show starts off really quite good.

The first major arc is great. From Shapiro to the individual stories. It's an all round very nice show. But once the show starts to get to the final arc, things start getting pretty bad and the show just kinda goes tits up.
>>
File: bfp9l5U.jpg (12 KB, 350x264) Image search: [Google]
bfp9l5U.jpg
12 KB, 350x264
Okay guys, I realized that it's pretty stupid that Dancouga can't fly when ALL our enemies can.

I'm gonna give it my all to scientist a flying backpack overnight. Yes, in one night. DO NOT DISTURB me no matter what happens!
>>
File: YATTE YARUZE.jpg (928 KB, 1296x2304) Image search: [Google]
YATTE YARUZE.jpg
928 KB, 1296x2304
>>13584795
>The show got cancelled so the production team had to try and conclude the story in about 8 episodes, having lost about 12-14 episodes due to the cancelling.

I'd actually never heard that. Is that why Alan kind of just gets unceremoniously killed off? I'd heard that Final Dancouga was in the original concept art for the show, so I guess we might have seen it had the show gone its intended length. Seems like that happened to a lot of /m/ shows back in the 80s. It happened with Dancouga, it happened with Layzner, even Gunbuster was planned to have stuff it didn't end up getting.

I do think the final arc went well all things considered. I just wish Laura wasn't a character. The show would have been near perfect then.
>>
File: Captain Geral Dancouga.jpg (92 KB, 640x961) Image search: [Google]
Captain Geral Dancouga.jpg
92 KB, 640x961
Dancouga is not a bad show, but besides a few moments its just "ok."

I would still recommend it to others though just because its a solid show.

YATTE YARUZE
>>
>>13585162
It's certainly an ambitious show for its time, it has
>Mechs with 3 individual forms and a combined form
>Hybrid Super-robot/Real-robot military setting
>Character songs
>Stunt casting (Laura)
>TV Special ending
>Movie
>OVA
>Concert
+
>Obari
>Wakamoto
>>
>>13585191
I'm still waiting for another show to come out starring a combining robot where the individual robots are actually worth a damn. The closest things I've seen to that are God Mars, which is pure shit, and Gurren Lagann, and even in Gurren Lagann, Gurren is pretty much irrelevant.
>>
>>13585211
Gaiking LoDM?
>>
>>13585225
I wouldn't say it counts. Gaiking the Great isn't really the main focus. Raiking and Vulking don't really do much on their own after they join the heroes' side either. Plus it's more parts swapping than a combination.
>>
>>13585211
Go-Busters?
>>
>>
>>13585100
wasn't Laura voiced by an idol singer they were hoping would help boost the show's popularity or something

that explains the incredibly serene music the show's had despite being centered on hot blood and beastlike ferocity as a source of strength. You'd think that'd warrant hotblooded screaming music but this is the second OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r6WHUt7M9Q
>>
>>13585330
She's voiced by Rie Fujiwara, the winner of a talent contest a year prior to the show. She was signed-on by Epic records as part of the reward. The dancouga OPs and inserts were her debut songs. It definitely seemed like Laura was meant to play a larger role, maybe they were aiming to engineer a 2nd Minmay.

That didn't work out well since the script didn't come out as planned. It got worse when they switched the music sponsor for the GOD BLESS movie, meaning that they to recast her VA.

Perhaps the mess of dancouga is why idol/singers/celebrities no longer receive important VA roles or only get characters that are killed promptly (gundam SEED).
>>
>>13585394
Her voice was terrible for the character anyway. She looked like a nine year old girl and sounded like a twenty five year old smoker.

The OPs were alright, though I remember the show's music less for those and more for BURNING RAGE, BURNING LOVE, and whatever that piece is that plays during the ending.
>>
>>13585330
At least they made a version of the song a bit more appropriate for Dancouga a decade or so later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcne92sJd1w
>>
>>13585404
She, too considered her amateurish performance a dark period in her career and never took up any anime VA roles after that until someone from the Dancouga Nova staff invited her for a cameo role (was it Kazuki Yao???)
>>
>>13585394
>Perhaps the mess of dancouga is why idol/singers/celebrities no longer receive important VA roles or only get characters that are killed promptly (gundam SEED).
That sure didn't stop Kawamori, the guy is clearly too high to care.

>>13585404
To be fair, even she got ashamed by her own performance, to the point that she went out of the public eye for over two decades or so.
>>
>>13585447
Even Kawamori used separate people for the acting and singing roles in macross until Ranka Lee/Megumi Nakajima. Then...he got too high to care.

Rie Fujiwara still appeared in a few Jdramas and had a rock-unit in the 90s. She just didn't want to have anything to do with anime.
>>
>>13585495
>still appeared in a few Jdramas and had a rock-unit in the 90s
That's pretty neat, never knew that. I assume those J-Dramas have absolutely nothing in terms of subs?
>>
File: 1326776569194.jpg (15 KB, 151x252) Image search: [Google]
1326776569194.jpg
15 KB, 151x252
>>13584696

see this is why nobody likes Poland
>>
>>13584696
>>13585961
Polish anon here. You see, Hyper's anime block was watched mostly by two types of people: underage shonen fans (who watched it for Bleach, FMA and Death Note), and REALISM GRRR types who only like when things are serious, gritty, humorless and depressing, extra points for sad ending. Neither kind found Nova much to their liking.
>>
>>13585394
>idol/singers/celebrities no longer receive important VA roles or only get characters that are killed promptly
Do you even King Records?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.