[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was 0079 a fluke?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: 1438824826596.jpg (55 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
1438824826596.jpg
55 KB, 455x455
Was 0079 a fluke?
>>
A fluke? No.

A big risk that could have very easily bombed and failed, killing the franchise right there? Yes.
>>
>>13582630
Nah.
I mean, after 0079 he made Ideon and Xabungle, so his peak lasted a bit longer.
>>
>>13582630
its kinda like starwars imo, if it wasnt for changes towards the original script and merchandising it wouldn't be what it is today
>>
>>13582630
He also made Turn-A which has been very solidly good for me so far. The man has his hit and misses, but his misses are "wow so bad".
>>
>>13582689
Excuse me, but it did fail on it's original TV run. It was not until after the 3 movies were released and it took off from there.
It started just like Star Trek and the fandom kept it going.
>>
>>13582743

But it didn't fail in creating a fanbase that wanted it saved.

A real failure would be Dragonar.
>>
>>13582630
>Was Zambot 3 a fluke?
>Was Xabungle a fluke?
>Was Ideon a fluke?
>Was L-Gaim a fluke?
>Was Turn A a fluke?

That's a lot of flukes for a career that spans over 40 years
>>
>>13582630
No, Tomino has matched the quality of 0079 multiple times. Notably with Ideon and imo, Zeta, CCA, and Turn A

0079 was much more popular than these because it was at the time revolutionary.
>>
File: tominograph.jpg (47 KB, 952x567) Image search: [Google]
tominograph.jpg
47 KB, 952x567
He's more consistent than you'd think.
Yes I know MAL has shit taste
>>
>>13582743
The movies could only be released because the reruns of the TV show made it popular.
>>
>>13582789
>Triton better than Greco or Brain Powerd

This is why ratings out of 10 are stupid, people usually consider the time the anime was made while rating it. Triton was okay for a 70's anime but 100% shit compared to today's anime
>>
>>13582788
>Ideon
>Zeta
>CCA
I hope you're kidding. These were all worse than 79.

Ideon suffers from massive pacing problems, Zeta's story and characters are all over the fucking map, and CCA needs no introduction (It's shit).
>>
>>13582807
>100% shit compared to today's anime
Only the visual quality. Directing hasn't actually gotten better. It's actually gotten worse thanks to very persistent cliches that just wouldn't die. Anime is currently unwatchable because of those.
>>
File: 1448749478302.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1448749478302.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>13582789
>Zeta above 0079 and Turn A
>G-Reco below F91, Victory and ZZ
>Where's Zambot 3
>>
King Gainer was fun as fuck.
>>
>>13582856
KING
>>
File: 1448398675110.jpg (28 KB, 380x302) Image search: [Google]
1448398675110.jpg
28 KB, 380x302
>>13582866
KING
>>
>>13582870
KING
>>
>>13582940
GAY NERD
>>
>>13582818
If you read the Greco reviews on MAL its literally just "I DONT UNDERSTAND THE PLOT"
Like, i'm not saying that they don't understand the plot, that is literally what is written in the reviews
>>
>>13582949
METARUUU OVAAAAHMAN
KIING GAYNAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! [TRUMPETS INTENSIFY]
>>
>>13582630
So... Let's suppose I had already watched all of his Gundam shows. Which Tomino show should I watch next? Ideon seems to be the best choice, but I wanted to read some personal recommendation from you guys.
>>
>>13583994
Raideen.
>>
>>13582630

looking at the other stuff Tomino produced around the same time no I don't think so

one of them was bound to hit

I think Gundam was just timeless enough and also had more real world parallels which made people like it more
>>
>>13583994
King Gainer or Xabungle if you want something lighthearted, I'd pick Gainer out of the two personally. Dunbine if you want something more serious, and want some surprisingly real-type fantasy mecha.

If you want weird but good, Brain Powerd.
>>
>>13582707
>original gundam was supposed to be power armor
Yeah, it would've been better
>>
tomino is a hack
>>
>>13584111

Honestly anon...that would have killed it. First, to be honest with the material, it would have been too violent for most peoples taste, also, big robots were too much of a thing in Japan at the time.
>>
>>13582818
All those series were better than G-Reco though
>>
>>13583332
That's half of every g-reco thread on /m/ too.
>>
>>13582630

No, but I think Char, his most successful character was kind of a fluke. Tomino has never created another character with even close to the public resonance or polarizing attitudes of Char and almost everything that creates mystery, argument or depth about the character came about because of previously unplanned changes.

He was originally planned to go through a fairly normal and cliche revenge is bad arc in 0079 but it's cancellation meant he ended up killing Kycilia and never coming to the realization revenge is bad. Then in Zeta and ZZ he was originally supposed to become an anti-hero who embraced his father's ideals in slightly more violent way by assassinating the heads of the Federation, but Char's Counterattack meant that was no longer viable and so he instead became a full on villain who embraced his father's ideals in a supremely violent and shitty way.

It creates a character with a lot more contradiction and depth than any of the rest of his characters and it came about despite his original intentions, not because of them. Not to say that Tomino had no hand in making Char such a character, because he certainly had to put in some effort to help make those transitions smoother than they would otherwise have been, but I think the fact that none of his other shows have ever had so contradictory or fascinating a character points to the fact it was a bit of a fluke and that Tomino wouldn't be able to recreate that success if he set out to do so.
>>
Ideon came out straight after, so no.
>>
>>13582630
No, it was obviously an inspired work. He did many others.
>>
File: destroy all vermin.png (492 KB, 602x566) Image search: [Google]
destroy all vermin.png
492 KB, 602x566
Still better than trash like space rats
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.