[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ghost in the Shell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: Ghost-In-The-Shell-Wallpapers-8.jpg (328 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-In-The-Shell-Wallpapers-8.jpg
328 KB, 1920x1080
What's the viewing order for this? There's a ton of versions of the initial series, then sequels, OVAs, compilation films, remakes, and alternate reality versions.

I just want to get through the "core" series first similiar to 0079>Zeta>ZZ>CCA for Mobile Suit Gundam.
>>
File: motokos.jpg (938 KB, 3000x1616) Image search: [Google]
motokos.jpg
938 KB, 3000x1616
how did we come to live in an age where people are too dumb to figure out how to watch a series of stand alone animes
>>
>>13572165

There's the Oshii version:
Ghost in the Shell (1995) [the original film] - > Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

The SAC version:

Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (or the GitS SAC Laughing Man summary film for key plot points) - > Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG (or GitS SAC 2nd GIG Individual Eleven summary film for key plot points again) - > Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society

The Arise version:

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:1 Ghost Pain - > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:2 Ghost Whispers- > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:3 Ghost Tears - > Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Border:4 Ghost Stands Alone - > Ghost in the Shell (2015)

OR

Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture (just a 10 episode version of all 4 Arise OVAs, with the final two being original content) - > Ghost in the Shell (2015) [the new film]
then there's also the manga version, but I haven't read it. Supposedly it's good as well. You can watch whichever version one you like first, and your enjoyment may vary depending on what kind of anime you like. I pretty much really liked and enjoyed every single version, especially SAC, because it's a good franchise as a whole, and I love the setting and content of all of them.
>>
>>13572200
Thanks a ton. This is just what I needed.
>>
>>13572165
What I did was start with the original movie.

The two SAC series can be watched independently.
>>
>>13572200
>OR
>
>Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture
Definitely not an "OR" in my opinion. Also didn't they release the Pyrophoric cult story as an OVA BD shortly before the movie came out?
The flow is much better than in the OAVs
>>13572223
see >>13572185
>>
File: Production_Order.jpg (899 KB, 1600x1500) Image search: [Google]
Production_Order.jpg
899 KB, 1600x1500
>>
>>13575317
>he doesn't skip Episode 1
>inb4 he watches Star Wars
>>
>>13575336

episode 1 was still made well after A New Hope.
>>
>>13575317
>production order for Getter or Patlabor
>when the manga is nothing special and the anime are far better for Getter and the 2nd movie is the only good part of the franchise for Patlabor
>>
>>13575342
Skipping it still belies relying on production order.

To skip you have to have something on either side of the thing you're skipping, otherwise it isn't skipping. By that I mean you can't say "I just didn't watch the prequels", as that isn't skipping.

Also, SSS is dogshit and should be skipped.
>>
>>13575357
>Skipping it still belies relying on production order.

yeah that's only if you plan on watching 2 and 3 as well. Which you really shouldn't.
>>
>>13575207
>Definitely not an "OR" in my opinion. Also didn't they release the Pyrophoric cult story as an OVA BD shortly before the movie came out?
I did not know that actually. I wouldn't have included AA if I knew that.

>>13575357
>Also, SSS is dogshit and should be skipped.
There is legitimately no harm in watching it. It has a few very thrilling scenes and I enjoyed it. And it's just a movie, and it's not even 2 hours long. I also stand by the saying
"Shut the fuck up and watch all of it you fucking faggot"
Skipping things, skipping anything in general, because others tell you to is too fucking stupid for me to put into words.
>>
>>13575458

I kind of have to agree. You're never gonna develop an actual sense of taste unless you actually expose yourself to a lot of crap
>>
>>13575458
>I wouldn't have included AA
That's a shame desu, for this alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1PkxdQfjCY
Granted you could just watch this video, but it gels really nicely at the start of every episode.
>>
>>13575460
Exactly. In the end if you just blindly follow what others say instead of trying things yourself, no matter how shit they end up being, you'll end up like one of those morons with only 50 anime series under their belt thinking they've watched all the "good anime", too afraid to try something else because an Anon on redchannit or some anime review in youtube video said it wasn't good. I've watched quite a few things others said to avoid and ended up enjoying them, and I've also watched a number of things that have received a lot of praise and ended up not liking it. Because in the end, that's my personal taste. My taste isn't a WatchMojo "Top Ten Best Mecha Anime" copy, nor is it a copy of 4chan memes. It's my own, and I think everyone should have their own taste. Then there's also the other saying
"You've got to know what's bad in order to appreciate the good."
>>
>>13572165
Production order like every other anime.
>>
>>13575489
>not skipping Double Zeta
>>
I'd watch the Oshii movie first, but that's mostly because its my favorite. The Oshii movies and SAC are independent of each other. They're both worth it, but you can start with whichever you find the most compelling.

Also the vibe I'm getting from this thread is that AA really doesn't work as well as the OVAs? Arise has been in the backlog for quite a while. Might finally get on that.

>>13575494
>skipping ZZ
>>
>>13575486

agreed. There are even a lot of shows I know aren't that great and know why they fall short but for some reason or another love the hell out of
>>
>>13575513
>AA really doesn't work as well as the OVAs
Strongly disagree.
The OVAs cut in half do wonders for the momentum and they all end the halfway point in good natural spots (I think).

If nothing else, do watch the Pyrophoric Cult story before The New Movie.
Personally, I think Arise's story is great and on the same level of The Laughing Man story. It's just got "not muh Major" and she does look bad really pulling against it.
Honestly, I've not heard much "good" criticism of the series other than "bluetoko" Probably the closest I've heard was along the lines of "high-school philosophical bullshit" which SAC itself could find itself guilty of as well. Personally I think it's at least college level. Also, if you don't expect some philosophizing, why the fuck are you watching GitS/cyberpunk at all?
Action sequences are top notch, except that one snowy one, too.
>>
>>13575359
Or if you plan on watching 7, production order covers the ewok movies and the clone wars movie too
>>
>>13572185
Better than those arrogant pricks who are bent on establishing some sort of continuity b/w oshii movies and SAC tv series and confuse newfriends.
>>
>>13580233
Arise could be a prequel to SAC though.
>>
>>13580309
To be fair, SAC could be a precuel to Oshii's first film, and SAC SSS could fit in after Innocence. But as >>13580233 said. It's stupid to try to create an "unified continuity" for GITS.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.