[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shigeru Mizuki passes away at age 93
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Shigeru Mizuki.jpg (51 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
Shigeru Mizuki.jpg
51 KB, 500x700
I know this isn't exactly /m/ related, but it's important enough to merit a thread, I think. May the man rest in peace.
>>
Who?
>>
>>13572089

The creator of the legendary manga "GeGeGe no Kitarou," which was responsible for repopularizing supernatural tales in Japanese mythology, i.e. ghosts, demons, etc..
>>
>>13572167
I see, sounds like a pretty cool dude then. RIP.

Can I catch him in a Yokai Watch?
>>
>>13572175

Skaro Hunting Society is currently subbing the 1968 and 1971 animes of GeGeGe no Kitarou. I'm surprised more people don't know about this.
>>
For those who don't know, he's the main inspiration for Mecha Godzilla.
>>
>>13572075
Oh, he was the one who lost his arm in the war?
Never saw any of his works, sadly, but rip in pieces anyway.
>>
>>13572176
>I'm surprised more people don't know about this.
Given how long Nanto takes to finish most things, it's no wonder.
>>
>>13572338
>Oh, he was the one who lost his arm in the war?

Yeah, he was the guy who lost his drawing arm in the pacific war and had to retrain himself to draw with his remaining arm. Every single person in this thread who hasn't done it yet, go and read Mizuki's Showa: A History of Japan, the stuff he lived through is nothing short of extraordinary. The man was convinced part of the reason he made it out alive is because he promised all yokai he would spend the rest of his life making people believe in them again, which he did for the next sixty years. He was a top kamibaishi artist before the big manga boom, the only people who have had an equal impact on manga to him are Tezuka, Ishinomori, and Yokoyama, and he was not only their senior, he outlived them all.

Drawn and Quarterly is putting out some of his work in English for the very first time and I highly recommend all of it.
>>
>>13572451

The fact that many in /m/ and /a/ do not know who Shigeru Mizuki is, is quite frankly, a travesty.

Without Mizuki, there would not be supernatural manga at all.

http://hyakumonogatari.com/2015/11/30/otsukare-sensei-goodbye-to-mizuki-shigeru/
>>
>>13572505
GeGeGe no Kitarou and such might be a cultural icon in Japan but it's not something that translates very well to western audiences, because of folklore and cultural barrier.
I've been meaning to check out his works, but...
>>
File: kitaro mecha.jpg (216 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
kitaro mecha.jpg
216 KB, 640x960
>>13572328
Damn straight!
>>
>>13572773
I think more people recognize the yokai he revitalized than the do the character itself, at least with the younger generation. Housewives know him because Mizuki's wife had a tv show a few years back, but it's really grandparent's era now.

They devoted five minutes on a news spot yesterday and my girlfriend was shocked he even got that much.

I missed some of the Japanese but apparently he was still working on a project up until last week.
>>
>>13573082

Each anime adaptation of Kitarou has been at least 90 or more episodes and has been re-made every decade, so it still remains popular.

The only version that was less than 15 episodes was Hakaba Kitarou.
>>
>>13572075
>only 13 replies

Meanwhile if that stupid hack Tomino died we'd get fifty threads up to the 600s with nothing but G Reco shitposting. God this board went to shit....
>>
>>13576231
He's not a particularly important figure to /m/ franchises though. He is important to the entirety of manga and anime as a whole yes, but /m/ is supposed to be specifically focused on that one subject matter. His most well known works are from the 60s and 70s as well, and I honestly don't expect more than maybe 10% of /m/ being interested in works that old, especially if they aren't /m/. I say all this while greatly enjoying his works.
>>
>>13576312
Look man I just wanted to shitpost about G Reco so please stop being civil cause now I'm actually feeling bad about what I did.
>>
I've only read Kitaro, but I definitely want to read the rest of his works as well. Mizuki's Showa in particular sounds really interesting.

Was that recentish Kitaro anime any good?
>>
>>13576328
It's fine, it happens. Come to think of it though, I think /m/ had a lukewarm reaction when Ishiguro died too, and he was involved in a lot of important sci-fi stuff that /m/ likes.
>>
>>13576342

Hakaba Kitaro was. Almost panel-to-panel adaptation from Mizuki's original Kitaro series. The 2007 Gegege no Kitaro was aimed at small children and pretty generic all things considered. Probably my least favorite of all Kitaro anime.
>>
Fuck, this hit hard. The Kitaro, the WWII manga, the actual gallery work he's done, Mizuki-sensei has literally done everything. Even though he might've plagiarized a couple ec comics in the 60's, shit, he has one arm so I'm sure I can give him a break. Wish I could've had a drink with his spooky ass.
>>
File: supermanmizuki.jpg (56 KB, 357x499) Image search: [Google]
supermanmizuki.jpg
56 KB, 357x499
>>13576534

He plagiarized DC Comics as well. On his early years, he did unauthorized versions of both Superman and Plastic Man. His version of Superman was later renamed Rocketman to avoid copyright infringement.
>>
>>13576231
Shigeru Mizuki is not /m/, what did you expect?
>>
The world is a little darker
>>
>>13576351
>>13572505
What's new? The current generation of anime fans are just attention whores who only care about shitposting and waifu's. I'm not even generalizing this to /m/ alone, I took a glance at /a/ and they've barely made more than a dead 10 post thread mention of the guy.

They can't even take a fucking minute out to sit down and read about a subject/series/history and maybe learn something. In fact most of the people here now don't even give a shit about mecha/sci-fi or even anime as a hobby anymore but only as a fad.

They're like those cringeworthy normalfag hipsters who use the excuse of "robots and cool explosions are all that matter and anything else is shit" to attempt to justify their ignorance of everything and fear of actually not necessarily liking things but just experiencing them. Then believe they are a expert on something because they once saw a photo of the subject in question.

I respect the guy for everything he's done, almost all supernatural stuff we think of was influenced by him in some way bringing awareness back into a public light in a time when most of the old myths were dead (along with most of the population). He also wrote some very famous and candid biographies and memoirs about the 2nd World War from a side we little hear of in a surprisingly neutral light. He's someone who goes far above petty crap like "not /m/" and someone who just helped educate as well as entertain people.
>>
Well, he was 93 already, it had to happen. My library has some Keitarou books and I've been meaning to check them, but the style is too old for me. It's the same problem I have with Lupin.
>>
>>13572167
>which was responsible for repopularizing supernatural tales in Japanese mythology, i.e. ghosts, demons, etc..

I don't man to dismiss or dishonor the mans work or contributions but that really seems like something that would have happened sooner rather than later anyways.
>>
>>13577334
>I took a glance at /a/ and they've barely made more than a dead 10 post thread mention of the guy.

That's because they already had a sticky full of posters about it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.