[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a way to revitalize the Gundam franchise back to its former
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10
File: 1446123161330.jpg (64 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1446123161330.jpg
64 KB, 500x750
Find a way to revitalize the Gundam franchise back to its former glory, /m/en.
Hard mode: Also make it very popular internationally.
>>
>>13571361
Seed Destiny sequel.
>>
It's at its peak currently

It is still popular internationally
>>
>>13571361
Okay somebody help me out here: was Gundam ever popular outside Japan?

I'm European and anime is basically dead here outside of a bunch of dedicated anime pirates like myself.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY
>>
>>13571385
Gundam, or anime in general has been popular since the 80s in Taiwan and Hongkong. Whatever's popular in these places are popular in other Chinese-speaking territories.

It's mainly because Taiwan and Hongkong actively translate/dub manga and anime so they are easily accessible entertainment to Chinese all over the world.
>>
Female MC
>>
>>13571409
We already had Kamillle.
>>
>>13571405
I think what OP is asking is more like
>Find a way to revitalize the Gundam franchise back to its former glory in AMERIKA
>Hard mode: Also make it very popular in AMERIKA
>>
>>13571361
Remake 0079 practically 1:1 only with Unicorn's level of animation quality and budget. Drop the silly episodes like White Base needs salt.
>>
>>13571469
Leave in doans island still, but he's one punch zaku man, and have outrageous animation for just this single episode.
>>
>>13571469
The episode is barely about salt you ninny.
>>
>>13571361
Actually, a bunch of the casuals I play mtg with are picking up IBO as their first exposure to Gundam, and loving it.
>>
>>13571469
You're a faggot for bringing up that episode in particular.

Alas, there are only two ways of making Gundam popular in the US again, and they're not independent in execution at all.

1. Remaking 0079. If it looked like Zeta did that would be more than enough, the sky is the limit here. Keep the scenes the same and battles choreographed(?) the same and you're printing money.
2. Get back on Toonami. Gundam would be instantly popular again in America if 00 or IBO was on it. Many other titles would also do well.
>>
>>13571491
It's all about salty Sayla
>>
>>13571514
It being on Hulu shows me that there's hope. Everyone I've talked to about it has been eating it up, non-mecha folk especially
>>
>>13571527
>Toonami
It couldn't be less relevant for getting a show popular these days. No show has become popular from being on there, they were popular long before in the west

Even dubfags will watch stuff online at their own leisure
>>
>>13571533
Didn't that big streaming site Kissanime take a hit a little while ago, or summat?
>>
>>13571535
No, and new Toonami has being going for a lot longer than a little while ago so correlating those to makes little sense.

People getting stuff legally use shit like crunchyroll, people want stuff on demand. toonami is a relic they brought back cause of nostalgia

It isn't doing well at all and even dropped in how many hours it got this year
>>
>>13571535
I haven't noticed any changes if there were any. Streamed fine from there just yesterday.
>>
>>13571533
Yeah I'm gonna call BS on this because Gurren Lagann was available in the West for a WHILE and people only really started raving about it after it got it's Toonami run.
>>
>>13571547
I don't think a show from 2007 is relevant in this discussion in 2015. On demand had only grown at a huge rate, toonami also died in 2007 and only came back 3 years ago. In which time it has managed to get bad ratings and a reduced slot

Plus you are just straight up wrong
>>
If you want it popular in the west dub it and put it on Netflix.
It's the sort of show popular with normalfags who watch shit on there more than weebs who'll actually watch subbed anime.
>>
>>13571361
Retranslate/translate all gundam media into english (all anime series, manga, novels, games, instructions for gunpla etc) and hire an expensive and successful marketing team to market it to the american public for a year or two.

Get a new gundam series on cartoon network/disney channel whatever. Maybe a build fighters anime set in america.

Then release a purpose designed three part gundam movie for the american audience.
>>
>Makes shows available on disk and streaming
>Do that quickly
>Maybe do a dub (not actually as crucial as many think. All big series like SAO blew up before dub)
>Make manga available
>Make gunpla easy to get (only america gets it in retail shops)
>Eventually make another show that catches larger audience (IBO was going for that but the reaction seems flaccid for what is meant to be a big show)
simple
>>
>>13571361
Given Gundam Wing's and SEED's relative successes, we could probably pull from both.

From Wing we could have a protagonist not tied to any particular nation in looks, and only very slightly in name (and even it was just a codename).

From SEED we take top Jap singer groups and major orchestra-produced audio to accentuate every moment, whether it's a quiet, thoughtful moment or arrival of the upgraded protagonist machine.

From both we take a story that would resonate with the current audience, without forcing one ideology down too much or creating blatantly "the bad guy" antagonists. Basically, more Wing than SEED.

A reasonable side-development of romance would be fine, since many people nowadays also like that element in a protagonist; one who could be influenced or changed by another who won't flinch away. Neither Wing or SEED has such, though SEED did have the balls to have a side character use their sexuality to try and manipulate the protagonist. At the same time however, we're not looking for the next wartime Romeo and Juliet like 08th MS team. It would be a nice bonus if the said love interest wasn't some legendary princess or daughter of an influential person. Instead, a comrade in arms, or a regular member of the crew, or maybe a completely normal civilian the protag just keeps returning to would suffice.

We should also have some reasonable antagonists/rivals that some might think "I kind of agree with them; but maybe not their methods", that would benefit characterization of the protagonist as well as of the opposing faction(s).

Some mook units that are almost as capable as the iconic Gundam(s) of the series, using some reasonable tactics alongside and against the titular units. Sure, there will be moments when mook units just need to die en masse, but set it up well enough that it isn't blatantly for convenience (in this case, more SEED than Wing, or better, 00 with the GN-Xs putting up a good fight).
>>
Whatever you think of its quality, IBO is really hitting it with people in general.
>>
>>13571576
As to mook designs, let there be a balance between homages of the classic and some original and different designs, kind of like SEED, 00, and G-Reco.

By the same token, fit the designs into a reasonable evolutionary chart, like SEED and 00. Sure you may have your outlier designs intended to test something completely different aside from the Gundams, but let progression be practical and reasonable.
>>
File: AASulacosketch.jpg (45 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
AASulacosketch.jpg
45 KB, 500x378
What if they got a new western mecha designer? Speaking of that, how did the japanese generally receive Syd Mead's designs? Did they just go "oh wow westerners can't make mechas for shit" and forget it ever existed, or was it better than that?

Pic related, it's another Syd Mead design.
>>
CG gundams, if you think about it 2D mech is too outdated to be popular with the current generation of anime fans
>>
>>13571613
Tomino disliked it and allegedly said he regretted asking Syd Mead to design it. Source: some random anon, I might even be imagining it.
>>
>>13571361
turn it into a star trek ripoff
>international
remove the robots
>>
>>13571625
Stop fucking misquoting that

He said it maybe was to different for people but he likes the designs
>>
>>13571625
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2014/08/28/gundam-creator-expresses-disappointment-over-current-state-of-anime-voice-acting/
>“I’ve come to realize that asking Sid Mead [to do mechanical designs for the series] was a mistake,” Tomino admits. “I was already a fan of his preexisting works, so I gave him free rein to do as he wanted. Actually, somewhere along the line I felt like there was something a little off with the designs he’d submitted, but by that time things were too far along to change their trajectory.”
Glad I bookmark things compulsively.
>>
>>13571648
Stop linking things sourced from japanese click bait sites

I swear 90% of what /m/ knows about Tomino is made up
>>
>>13571423
So you mean have dumb shit Gundam shows like Wing again on Toonami? First we need a Gundam series actually as bad as that
>>
>remake 0079
No.

Good Gundam shows don't do well in America anyway, you need to feed them shit like Wing
>>
>>13571661
>Stop linking things sourced from japanese click bait sites
>I swear 90% of what /m/ knows about Tomino is made up

People on /m/ are stupid and to answer OP's question, G-Reco already did that. Just wait til you're old enough to understand it.
>>
Air a more kid-friendly Gundam show on the CW in the morning or afternoon.
>>
>>13571713
So only one child can die in it? How about a few off screen so it still feels right?
>>
>>13571723
No children died in 0080.
>>
>>13571735
But the hamburgerler did and that would upset kids
>>
>>13571361
Gundam is the highest it has been in years thanks to Unicorn.
>>
>>13571723
Turn A meets that criteria.
>>
>>13571740
Just tell them he went to cow heaven.
>>
Hire more appropriate actors for the dub releases.
Then/and, like the other anon said, put the entire franchise of Netflix.

Also put Gundam Build Fighters on CN, at a primetime hour, and put Gundam 00/Iron Blooded Orphans on Toonami.

I wanna say market the shit out of it, but honestly I don't shit about marketing, much less about current trends.
>>
>>13571744
But it incites homolust and shows bare skin and brown skin at that.Good god-fearin' 'muriccans can't have that.
>>
>>13571749
One more thing.
HAVE MORE COMPETENT PEOPLE PUT TOGETHER THE MODELS THEY DISPLAY AT BARNES AND NOBLES.

In fact the best thing to do would be to put a snapjob (possibly with panel lining) side-by-side with a painted kit.
>>
File: 1242419920001.gif (183 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1242419920001.gif
183 KB, 320x240
Put 00 and IBO onto Netflix, normies jump on those because somehow they're more mature than other robot shows.
Wow that was difficult.
>>
File: 1422080012204.png (466 KB, 500x1000) Image search: [Google]
1422080012204.png
466 KB, 500x1000
>>13571749
>Gundam Build Fighters on CN
That actually sounds like a really good idea.
Would the little kids be able to handle pic related, though?
>>
>IBO
Oh yeah lets push a show with a lot of talking and not much action. That will get the general anime viewer

Even in japan it is selling mediocre. If they want to push a show push 00 or possibly thunderbolt when it is put
>>
>>13571786
Censored or omitted by cutting to commercial.

Only available on BD.
>>
>>13571786
I don't know about that, BF has a lot of background knowledge/references that they wouldn't be able to pick up on. I'd think Try would be better in that regard since a lot of the suits are originals/scratchbuilds.
>>
>>13571361
Make some more 8th MS Team style shows.
>>
>>13571786
Kids could handle Stacy's Mom, they can handle this.
>>
>>13571799
Thunderbolt is fitting a similar niche
>>
>>13571798
The background refs they don't understand would cause them to be more interested in the franchise so they could understand it.
Also the only bit that directly refs past series in a way that you'd have to be familiar to understand would be when Sei was imitating Amuro.
>>
>>13571786
Beach scene will have to be totally redone or simply released only online.
>>
>>13571819
>released only online
fuck me, completely forgot about the whole series already being online.
>>
>>13571793
Damn, we'll have to give them Try.
I hope spats and cowtits aren't too sexual for children.
>>
>>13571361
In Murica? Never. Simply because the franchise that takes a very Japanese attitude towards war (no "fuck yeah" heroism to be had) that isn't shared by the rest of the western world. And that's not even going into the general stigma against giants robots as serious war drama.
>>
>>13571798
When I was younger I'd regularly watch shows like Gundam or Transformers just randomly, I never followed the episodes in order and I never totally knew what was going on.
But all I knew was there were robots and I loved robots. That's all that mattered.
I don't think most kids will be too caught up on needing to know all the references or lore. They just gotta see those robots and enjoy it.
>>
>>13571412
And loran
>>
>>13571361
For Gundam to be seen in the west you need a few things.
1. revitalize the original, perhaps based on origin, make it a full fledged series, 50+ episodes
2. Make a side story about a set of grunts that run into white base during the OYW and throughout. start at Jaburo and move into space. *cough* middle east in space *cough*
3. Give it a good time slot
4. Put everything on netflix
Then just sit back and wait for profit
>>
>>13571588
The problem is that 00 and IBO type fans are by and large completely fucking useless to the franchise in the long term because they're closer to generic anime shit than traditional Gundam. You may as well just sell them Love Live, everybody loves Love Live.
>>
>>13572276

>Zeon focus

please no
>>
>>13572335
No Zeon focus, Just feddies operating operationally.

Also needs to tie in the OVA's, make a note of the Alex, and maybe towards the end stardust memory. Really tie the universe together
>>
Imma echo what some people said ITT, and say that you should just go ahead and make it Band of Brothers/Generation Kill+robots.
>>
>>13572430

I'm sure Gundam's primary audience (ages 8 - 16 or so) will eat that right up.
>>
>>13572448
Hey, you said make it popular internationally.
>>
>>13572466

Not OP, I doubt it'd work even on that level since adults in the West generally don't look to cartoons for serious stories and would probably not give an animated show about giant robot pilots/soldiers a show no matter how serious or grimderp you made it. And kids would have even less chance of tuning in to it, so you'd basically be isolating both audiences by failing to give either what they want. If you want to make a serious show for serious adults like yourself live action is the way to go, at least in the West.
>>
>>13572482
Well, I was thinking. What animu are really popular/well received in the West? Stuff like Trigun, Big O, Cowboy Bebop etc. Y'know, mature media for mature adults such as myself. So I thought, why not do 08th MS team, but more "mature", and with less Romeo and Juliet stuff. Or am I just out of touch?
>>
>>13572492

There's a pretty big leap between shows like Trigun, Big O and Cowboy Bebop and Generation Kill or Band of Brothers in terms of tone and content anon.
>>
>>13571613
Syd Mead never did anything that looked like Turn A Mecha in any of his western works though.
If he showed up and gave them fucking Turn A or WaDom, he'd be beat up and never find a job again
>what the fuck does it need a moustache for, thats not REALISTIC
>>
>>13571661
He's not even bald
>>
>>13572501
And a huge leap between them in terms of popularity amongst adults too.
>>
>>13572501
Eh, fair enough. I'm probably just projecting what I want from Gundam, rather than what would actually be popular.
>>
>>13572492

Except for Cowboy Bebop that stuff is not popular at all
>>
File: download.png (799 KB, 960x530) Image search: [Google]
download.png
799 KB, 960x530
>>13571361

A Hollywood big budget film with special effects done by a combo of ILM and Weta.
>>
>>13571527
>2. Get back on Toonami.

If it were 2002 sure but Toonami now is a relic from a bygone era that can't keep up with what the internet offers people these days. Hardly anyone gives a shit about it aside from a few nostalgiafags and nearly everything they air was flavor of the month tier stuff everyone who remotely cared about anime already watched over a year before they got their hands on it.
>>
>>13571361
do what transformers did give it to Micheal bay
>>
File: 2ec.png (572 KB, 600x580) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
572 KB, 600x580
>>13571398
>crippled blackman is guntank
>>
Create a device that allows me to directly influence the tastes and brain waves of the general population.

Make it so they enjoy whatever the fuck I make, and just make the Gundam story I want to tell.

That's easier than just trying to get lucky.
>>
>>13571361
0079 remaster.

Not a reboot. same story sans the melodrama and all other needless sub plots, but with 21st century animation techniques.

Then a Zeta remaster soon after.
>>
File: broiled.jpg (41 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
broiled.jpg
41 KB, 600x450
>>13573421
>G Savior 2
>>
>>13573670
>21st century animation techniques
Got any animators in mind?
>>
File: 1920x1080gundam3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1920x1080gundam3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
LITERALLY, just fucking animate the Origin as a full fledged 50-odd episode TV anime. Make it good budget (doesn't have to be crazy) and give it a great English dub and try to get it on network television.

This is literally the only way for Gundam to hit it as mainstream as it can get besides a big budget hollywood movie. But instead, the fuckwad higher ups are wasting The Origin on stupid OVAs that only the Gundam fanboys are going to watch, and squandering any potential to grow the franchise. Anything else would scare off casual fans, because "There's too much in the series, I'll be lost!" But if it's literally a remake, you can frame it as "See what started it all, experience the sensation from the beginning"

and then follow it up with a Zeta remake, and hopefully a ZZ/CCA combo and restructuring.
>>
>>13571361
Step 1: Build colony.

Step 2: Put a bunch of rockets on the colony.

Step 3: Make Gundam show.

Step 4: Threaten to drop the colony on Earth if everyone doesn't watch the Gundam show.

Instant success.

>>13571469
>Drop the silly episodes like White Base needs salt.

Oh yeah, drop the episode that was so important that all but about two minutes of it ended up in the movies in some form. REALLY FUCKING GREAT IDEA FOR A REMAKE AM I RIGHT?
>>
>>13572286
This.

To be successful in the west means getting people interested in the franchise, not just a show. Similar issue happened with SEED, new fans were interested in the anime bullshit drama but not kits and other series.
>>
>>13573934
I am glad mostly cause could you imagine the shitposting between this and the original that would happen?

Especially as it would fuel the hateboner places like ANN have for Tomino
>>
Isn't there a Gundam airing right now?
Doesn't seem like anyone is really talking about it.
>>
Make it psychological, more personalized story, not UC, make the mechs less important.

Would sell like hotkeks.
>>
A UC series taking place at around 764 UC,on the planet in the Proxima Centauri system Judau settled.New mobile suits.All of the characters are newtypes.And the enemy are aliens.Aliens who have a civilization based on physical technology,but vastly different evolutionary.Or maybe posthumans from another dimension.
>>
>>13573987
It's boring that's why.

That said its talked about all the time on here what are you smoking?
>>
>>13574402
He was probably trying to start some shit . The way someone keeps bringing up IBO in this thread makes it looks like that

With that said the show has not done a 00 like they were trying. Very limp response, while positive on other sites barely anyone is talking about it
>>
>>13571361
back to present time and prevent productions of G Gundam and Turn A Gundam. Change A New Translation to a quadrilogy and when last movie aired, prepare a ZZ Gundam Define Manga. As a 30th year project, prepare Gundam 0081 show with Kou Matsuo / Studio 1 combo. Hire IBO cast at 2011 and prepare IBO before than AGE. Change Build Fighters to more solid rules. (Naturally, no more jigen haoryu shit) Cancel G-Reco and prepare AGE as IBO's well developed sequel, but save G-Reco's designs for IBO's sequel.

I have sleep. Please forgive if there's errors.
>>
>>13571361
More Zeta!
>>
>>13573964
I left out SEED for a reason. With shows as big as Gundam there will be a lot of different kinds of fans, but with 00 there are very few parts of that show for them to overlap with anything but Wing.

With SEED the core storytelling style may be different like pretty much every different director is even in UC anyways but the setting and science fiction elements are relatively compatible. (this is skewed in English fandom because we have a lot of Destiny-tards that didn't experience SEED on its own from the start)
>>
1. Make "Gundam Wing 2"
2. Make it just as stupid as the original
3. Katoki Mecha Designs
4. Toonami
>>
>>13573670
That's not what a "remaster" is
>>
>>13571361

White protagonist.
>>
>>13571361
No way. In the past 2 years 0079 was released on blu ray worldwide, Tomino came back to direct an original Gundam series, Unicorn finished, Origin gets an anime, and IBO is well liked.

They have done everything possible to revitalize Gundam already, except maybe simultaniously broadcasting a new Gundam show in Japan and the west.
>>
>>13574899
>Gundam 0081 show with Kou Matsuo / Studio 1 combo.
About fucking what?
>>
>>13571361
Ha! Easy.

Remake 0079 with meticulously god tier hand drawn animation.

Or

Remake SEED with meticulously god tier animation and tone down some of the bullshit.

Easy.
>>
>>13571361
Frozen Teardrop anime and market it hard to the nostalgiafags in America. A WAM BAM THANK YOU FAM you just got yourself a Gundam revival in the west for a brief moment.
>>
>>13571786
I think CN could handle that nowadays with the shit they pull in Adventure time and stuff like that. It'll make kids feel confused not seeing boobs on a spoon for once.
>>
Advertise it as transformers
>>
>>13571535
It was re-upped in around 24 hours iirc
>>
>>13577207
Just give them AGE. It's perfect for children.
>>
Drop a colony on ISIS.
>>
>>13577756

The fact that no kids were interested in it even in Japan would say otherwise. It's kid demographic on many episodes was a 0% share from what I gather.
>>
>>13577759
If you dropped an Island Three on Raqqa wouldn't it basically take out the entire middle/near east?
>>
>>13577774
American and Japanese kids like opposite things. And it's lack of the action cartoon shows for kids now. So AGE might work.
>>
>>13577775

Would the ISS work as an acceptable substitute for only eradicating ISIS?
>>
>>13577923
It'd break apart on re-entry. It's not big enough, anyway. It's only about twice as heavy as a C-5 Galaxy.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.