[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen over a hundred anime series, but realized there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 20
File: FLCL.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FLCL.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
I've seen over a hundred anime series, but realized there are two "genre" I have almost no experience with, Mecha and Magical Girl.

I've seen Code Geass, Eva and it's rebuilds, and a few things that maybe count as fringe cases like FLCL and Gurren Lagann. I don't know shit about gundam, or any of the series that actually focus on mecha. What stand-alone mecha series are worth watching, without having to watch a dozen other series to properly enjoy?
>>
Gunbuster is six episodes long and one of the greatest mecha stories ever told. It also has a little bit of almost every type of mecha show in it. If you don't like it, you probably won't like mecha in general.

Not to mention you've already seen all the other Gainax mecha shows other than Diebuster. You may as well complete the set with the first and best.
>>
Dai-Guard, Gurren Lagann, Gunbuster, Big O, VOTOMS, GaoGaiGar, Tekkaman Blade, Giant Robo: The Day The Earth Stood Still, Dougram, Patlabor, Xabungle.

The original Macross and Gundam stand alone for obvious reasons and are stepping stones into their respective franchises if you like them.
>>
>>13570702
And seeing your post again, you've seen Gurren Lagann, but somehow saw fit to list it as a "fringe case"? It's mecha as fuck m8. Feel free to ignore that one from the list.
>>
File: 1424123102382.jpg (2 MB, 1648x5208) Image search: [Google]
1424123102382.jpg
2 MB, 1648x5208
>>
>>13570644
>Gurren Lagann
>fringe case
Why do normies like to pretend that TTGL is some sort of postmodern ironic deconstruction of the mecha genre? Is it because it has a sense of humor? I don't get it. If you like TTGL, you'll like basically every super robot anime.
>>
File: Latest Gundam watchlist.jpg (2 MB, 2800x3402) Image search: [Google]
Latest Gundam watchlist.jpg
2 MB, 2800x3402
>>13570644
Here, this'll help somewhat.

Ignore the descriptions, just watch things and take them as they come. Form your own conclusions.
>>
>>13571462
Maybe he thought TTGL was fringe because it's a classical Super Robot show, and since those are dead he didn't associate it with the "normal" mecha shows.
>>
>>13571471
>Ignore the descriptions
Ignore this, probably some description about his favourite Gundam triggered him, they're completely fine.
>>
>>13570644
>there are two "genre" I have almost no experience with, Mecha and Magical Girl.
Kill two birds with one stone and watch Rayearth.
>>
There are a lot of great recs on this list.

Also, if you want a dose of /m/aho shoujo, the first Nanoha movie is a good intro. Or the series if you aren't put off by loli bait.
>>
>>13571483
Not really, I just got the impression that many people have in time found that the list doesn't cover everything, or people who think the "muh" list is best. I guess that didn't come through very well.
>>
OP here.

>>13570695
>>13570702
Thanks.

>>13570710
Th-Thanks, anon.

>>13570706
>>13571462
>>13571477
3rd anon is right. I don't really know how /m/ defines mecha series, I just know what /a/ says about them. Same reason why I put FLCL in the fringe case, I probably should have just called it "Super Robot" cases. I honestly don't know where the line is with this, is Kill La Kill considered Super Robot because the clothes are basically "non-metal mecha"? I mean, they're battle armor that transforms and can turn into rocket boots and weapons and stuff like that, but I just don't know how far you stretch "mecha" "mech" and "Super Robot" vs "Real Robots".

>>13571502
Interesting looking, thanks.
>>
>>13571560
>I just got the impression that many people have in time found that the list doesn't cover everything
Of course it doesn't cover anything, it's just a guideline. And it works well as that.

>people who think the "muh" list is best
Only as a joke, and you won't get those unless you watch the actual shows (or shitpost too much here).

>I guess that didn't come through very well.
I was teasing you to see if that was the case, since many retards here are quick to call something shit when it doesn't cater to their tastes.
>>
Watch symphogear. It's like mecha/magical girl.
>>
>>13571563
Kill La Kill is closer to magical girl than mecha.

Mecha is something that you pilot, not wear. It's the distinction between the suits of the Power Rangers and the Megazord being mecha.

Also, Super vs. Real is something most people use to shitpost, not in intelligent conversation.
>>
>>13571563
>I don't really know how /m/ defines mecha series
If it has mecha in it, then it's a mecha show. That's it. However, /m/ isn't just about Japanese Mecha Anime. TTGL is a homage to Super Robot shows, but after 2000 SR-styled shows mostly died.

>I just know what /a/ says about them
Friendly advice: /a/ has shit taste, so don't trust them. The only /m/ shows they know are Gundam, Code Geass, TTGL and Evangelion.

>Same reason why I put FLCL in the fringe case, I probably should have just called it "Super Robot" cases
Don't worry, /m/ gets triggered when you mention TTGL. You didn't say anything wrong.

>is Kill La Kill considered Super Robot because the clothes are basically "non-metal mecha"?
You're crossing a thin line there my friend. You should try making a new thread to see the reactions to that question, but for now let's just go with "no". It is, however, made by the same guys who worked on the studio that made TTGL, so it's not bad that you confused them.

>I just don't know how far you stretch "mecha" "mech" and "Super Robot" vs "Real Robots".
Pro tip: Super Robot vs Real Robot isn't a discussion /m/ likes. For your own sake, don't go there.
>>
>>13571579
Yeah, I figured Kill La Kill wasn't mecha which is why I didn't mention it in the topic post. It feels so similar to TTGL though, which is why that ended up on the "fringe list" and not just next to Eva and CG.

That simple description seems good, it just seems like there's a lot of loopholes and weird cases though. Like, a lot of Super Robot series just have "living" robots, no pilots or anything, right?

Either way, mecha series have always looked interesting to me, I'm surprised I've never tried getting into any of the mecha series outside of the basic stuff though. I loved the giant robot near the end of Fallout 3, that's what lead me to Code Geass which was the first anime I watched outside of whatever kid's anime i saw on TV.
>>
>>13571563
Like the other anon mentioned, KLK is more like a magical girl series. There was some mech stuff, like the academy transforming in the OVA.

I don't know how true this is but I've always seen Real vs Super Robot in terms of what the mechs do. Gurren Lagann, Getter Robo, and Mazinger are super robots either due to the scale of their size/abilities or their feats. Real robot is more akin to Gundam and Patlabor and GitS as the machines are performing more "realistic" actions and are a bit more believable. I could be wrong though, I haven't gotten into more than about 10 mechs series.
>>
>>13571608
>a lot of loopholes
Yes, there are quite a few exceptions. There is and has always been a massive schism between posters here who see /m/ as "/m/ - giant robots and nothing else" and "/m/ - sci fi in general"

it's a bucket of worms that you shouldn't try to pry open, to say the least, but considering stuff like Star Trek and Mystery Science Theatre 3000 have regular threads, the mods seem to condone it.
>>
>>13571616
>I don't know how true this is but I've always seen Real vs Super Robot in terms of what the mechs do. Gurren Lagann, Getter Robo, and Mazinger are super robots either due to the scale of their size/abilities or their feats. Real robot is more akin to Gundam and Patlabor and GitS as the machines are performing more "realistic" actions and are a bit more believable. I could be wrong though, I haven't gotten into more than about 10 mechs series.
You really shouldn't start this discussion on /m/ unless you wan't this thread to get shitposted to death.
>>
>>13571602
>Friendly advice: /a/ has shit taste, so don't trust them. The only /m/ shows they know are Gundam, Code Geass, TTGL and Evangelion

That's exactly why I'm here. I never dipped into Gundam because I get sucked into series and never come out. I went through Fate, and I must have spent something like 800+ hours between the games and anime series, and there's still plenty of movies and such on the way, and I haven't touched any of the LN yet. Gundam would probably take years even if I skipped a few of the "bad" series.

How many people actually try to watch everything mentioned in the guide posted earlier? Is it common advice to just skip half the series and stick to the "best" Gundam series?
>>
>>13571628
I forgot about that, my b. I had to explain it to my roommate the other day so it was in my head.
>>
>>13570644
>I've seen Code Geass, Eva and it's rebuilds, and a few things that maybe count as fringe cases like FLCL and Gurren Lagann.
You've already watched over 100 hours of mecha anime then.
What's up with people saying stuff like "I don't like or watch mecha. I love Eva, Code Geass and Gurren Lagann though, but those aren't really mecha."
>>
>>13571639
>How many people actually try to watch everything mentioned in the guide posted earlier?
You don't have to watch them all in one sitting. Hell, most shows actually benefit from taking your time to watch them.

>Is it common advice to just skip half the series and stick to the "best" Gundam series?
Yes, altough if you're a true Gundam fan you might not want to skip anything. I always try to get people hooked by telling to watch 0079 > Z > ZZ > CCA and then do what they want, and if they want the true experience, watch everything until Turn A.

>>13571645
>What's up with people saying stuff like "I don't like or watch mecha. I love Eva, Code Geass and Gurren Lagann though, but those aren't really mecha."
/m/ shitposted those people to much.
>>
>>13571645
Code Geass really isn't Mecha though. The suits aren't really the focus the political drama and plans are. You could easily replace the mechs with regular grunt on grunt gunfights and nothing would change.
>>
>>13571639
My personal advice is that the must-watch list contains the first series, Mobile Suit Gundam (or the movie remake trilogy if you can't stand the animation), then the sequel series Zeta Gundam if you liked the first one.

If you like these a lot, go ahead and watch the rest if you have time (and you're gonna need a lot of it). Or just watch the ones that catch your interest (if you liked the setting of the first series try 0080, 0083, and 08th MS team, if you liked the feel of Gurren Lagann more try G Gundam)

Just don't ask what the "worst" series is because that's another can of worms that is guaranteed to go into the bump limit.
>>
>>13571662
>Code Geass really isn't Mecha though.
>Genre: Alternate history, Tragedy, Mecha
>>
>>13571668
Yes and?
>>
>>13571662
But it still has mecha in it, so it's a mecha show. Is IBO not a mecha because there is no focus on mecha fights or mecha at all?
And
>You could easily replace the mechs with regular grunt on grunt gunfights and nothing would change.
This is so far from the truth. There are several moments where the usage of mecha are instrumental to the plot. A lot would change if you remove them.
>>
>>13571678
>Is IBO not a mecha because there is no focus on mecha fights or mecha at all?
I like this bait.
>>
>>13571639
>How many people actually try to watch everything mentioned in the guide posted earlier
I've seen at least 70% of what's on the list (and things that aren't really mentioned on it either). I liked most of it, and thought most of them were good. Watch all of them in the order that the list shows, production order, that's the best way to enjoy it.
>>
>>13571687
You could replace all the scenes (not that there are many) with mecha fights with grunt on grunt gunfights and nothing would change. In fact I think that would actually make the show better, as it would put more explicit emphasis on the child soldier part.
>>
File: Rev.jpg (17 KB, 218x213) Image search: [Google]
Rev.jpg
17 KB, 218x213
>>13571700
Yeah those children would do great fighting out in space with guns.
>>
>>13571662
>>13571668
>>13571678
Another great example, OP, of what NOT to do in /m/.

"Is X /m/?" is guaranteed to get people riled up.
>>
>>13571662
>Armored Trooper Votoms really isn't Mecha though. The suits aren't really the focus the drama and PSes are. You could easily replace the mechs with regular grunt on grunt gunfights and nothing would change.
>>
>>13571708
Ship vs ship battles or pirate style boarding.
What's next?
>>
>>13571677
It's still mecha, even if they aren't the focus.
>>
File: I fuck the music.png (2 MB, 1000x749) Image search: [Google]
I fuck the music.png
2 MB, 1000x749
>>13571717
Finally someone sees it my way. Armored Trooper VOTOMS is mecha is the worst fucking meme this board has embraced.
>>
>>13571736
>>13571730
Are we being raided?
>>
>>13571750
>not being able to tell >>13571730 is a blatant joke
>>
>>13571750
actually all me. Sorry I'll stop didn't realize you don't know what jokes are on /m/
>>
>>13570644

Give Gargantia a try. Only 13 episodes, bro-tier robot character with solid worldbuilding and a tightly written plot.

Do yourself a favor and pass on Gundam. /m/ will jump down my throat for saying this, but Gundam hasn't been good in decades but it gets a lot of slack for nostalgia and the original Gundam actually being good 35 years ago. But Gundam has never actually managed to grow beyond its roots, and these days is literally a toy commercial that copy-pastes its characters and plots with new robots that they can sell kits of.
>>
>>13571792
What are you doing here then? Hope you're having fun with the most high quality anime genre ever, mecha! I bet you have great taste.
>>
>>13571806
Just don't reply to bait.
>>
>>13571639
The core of the franchise is early universal century
0079, Zeta , (ZZ), CCA, (Unicorn) don't kill me

MSG 0079
series or movies, very minor changes, the movie animation is better, but the series has better world building

Zeta
It's a series, and it has a pretty dark ending, there are movies, but they change things up and kinda retcon ZZ

ZZ (or double zeta)
First half is comical (which hits like a truck after the ending of Zeta), second half is more serious
If you want to skip it watch the Zeta movies, but i wouldn't skip it, it's good

CCA (char's counterattack)
Movie, the final battle between Char and Amuro

Last crucial one will probably have people disagreeing with me
Unicorn
It has some spectacular animation, and is basically an attempt to drag a Char a Char figure, not THE Char out of his grave. You also need to watch ZZ to get the most out of it.

Then you have 3 side stories that take place during 0079.
0080 war in the pocket, 08th MS team and MS IGLOO (muh CGI)
And an OVA that bridges the gap between 0079 and Zeta, Stardust memory

After that you have late UC and various Alternate universes that aren't really connected with the main line until Turn A.

Turn A Gundam is best experienced if you've seen everything released before it (refer to the chart >>13571471 for the release order), and that may be daunting to say, but it's pretty good.

Do not talk about SEED or G-reco, it never end well.

For a fellow Gainax fan Gunbuster and Diebuster are a must watch. 6 episodes each, they have the same ending . Gunbuster is actually Annos first work as a director.
Big O is another good one, it's Batman meets Evangelion.
Rahxephon is a series you might like if you liked Evangelion.
Also i'd recommend: Patlabor, VOTOMS and Escaflowne
>>
>>13571826
I second his recommendation of Patlabor its what I show my normal friends when they want a mecha show.
>>
>>13571792
I will actually agree with this. Only Gundam I've seen are 00 and G. I feel no desire to watch any more. There's shitloads of other mecha shows in my backlog anyway. Maybe if I like what I see after finishing L-Gaim.
>>
>>13571913
>Only Gundam I've seen are 00 and G. I feel no desire to watch any more
You watched the two shows that are the absolute least like the other Gundam shows, barring Build Fighters, so there's no real reason not to watch the others, since you'll be experiencing something practically brand new.
I still don't understand why the fuck you didn't just watch it in production order, that was a straight up retard move.
>>
File: 1334697303493.jpg (3 MB, 2500x2800) Image search: [Google]
1334697303493.jpg
3 MB, 2500x2800
I was actually thinking of making a revised version of pic related. What should I add/remove from this list?

http://pastebin.com/C02ZsbEt
>>
>>13571922
>Implying production order matters for AUs
Like I said, I may get around to UC at some point, but it's at the absolute bottom of my list. I watched 00 and G because I knew they were different. The premise of UC doesn't catch my interest much at all, and neither do the mech designs
>>
>>13571936
Remove King Gainer, Aquarion, FMP, Escaflowne and Rahxephon. I hear Infinite Ryuvius is pretty shit as well, while Ryu Knight is average.

Add Getter Robo Armageddon, Tekkaman Blade, Gaiking LoDM, Code Geass, Dunbine, Rayearth and FMP TSR.
>>
File: Kirameki Project.jpg (478 KB, 1200x1703) Image search: [Google]
Kirameki Project.jpg
478 KB, 1200x1703
>>13570644
Two birds.
One stone.
>>
>>13571955
I think FMP, Escaflowne and Rahxephon should stay.
However, i've never seen people talk about Gasaraki, Dougram and Vifam.

We should just make an obscure list fore veterans while we're at it.
>>
File: m chart.jpg (668 KB, 1800x2800) Image search: [Google]
m chart.jpg
668 KB, 1800x2800
>>13571955
I was referring to suggestions for the pastebin, but I'll keep the Dunbine/Gaiking recs for now.

Here's a really basic idea for what I was thinking. I figured the UC timeline would be a good addition but I dunno about keeping the AU list.
>>
Don't listen to these jokers OP, they don't know what they're talking about. The only mecha you need to watch is Legend of the Blue Wolves.
>>
>>13571936
Add G-Reco for 2010s
>>
i'm fucking tired of rec threads
>>
>>13570644
Legend of the Blue Wolves is a must see OP. It really captures everything that makes us love the mecha genre so much into one nice little package.
>>
>>13572529
Start yelling at anons to lurk more.
>>
>>13572529

I'm tired of cliche reaction images
>>
File: 1334536274359.gif (636 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1334536274359.gif
636 KB, 500x333
>Mecha and Magical Girl
You need to watch Nanoha.
>>
>>13571955
>Ryvius
>shit
>>
File: amuro.jpg (39 KB, 475x355) Image search: [Google]
amuro.jpg
39 KB, 475x355
>>13572450
>Wing
>No ZZ
>>
File: laughing three times as fast.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
laughing three times as fast.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
>>13572619
>>
File: karl.png (90 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
karl.png
90 KB, 700x700
>>13572888
>Unicorn
>>
File: 1448080044063.jpg (49 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1448080044063.jpg
49 KB, 640x360
>>13572529
>I wish other people had less shitty taste
>Oh look, a rec thread where I can expose someone open to new shows to my favorite shows and thus giving him similar taste as mine
>FUCK THIS BULLSHIT, OP IS A FAG, SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
>>
>>13572450
I like this one an anon made a couple of months back
>>
>>13572932
You could at least try to find /m/ appropriate images for your shitposting.
>>
>>13571645
OP back again. I think of it the same as anime in general:

Watching a few gateway anime on TV doesn't make you experienced with "anime" in general. By the time I was 13 I saw a ton of "cartoon" anime like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Naruto, and even a few more "mature" series like Cowboy Bebop through Adult Swim or Cartoon Network. Someone who watched a few series on TV doesn't really know much yet and doesn't have much to add to the conversations /a/ has.

I figure it'd be the same for mecha. I've seen the gateway "mecha" stuff that I really just watched as "anime", just like I watched "anime" that I just watched as "cartoons" as a kid. I watched FLCL and Eva because they're highly regarded in the general anime community, but I want to get into the specific group of "best mecha anime" instead of just "best anime that happens to be mecha". I know all of the "popular" and "discussion worthy" anime series, even if I haven't watched them all yet, and I want to get that sort of familiarity with mecha, including the series /a/ doesn't talk.

...I hope that makes as much sense in text as it does in my head.
>>
>>13573256
>I watched FLCL and Eva because they're highly regarded in the general anime community, but I want to get into the specific group of "best mecha anime" instead of just "best anime that happens to be mecha"
Truthfully, there's very little distinction between the two. Stuff like the Giant Robo OVA or Macross DYRL really are up there with the best anime of all time in terms of quality. The only reason the general anime fandom doesn't see them as such is because they're part of larger franchises and they think they require the context from those franchises in order to fully understand the plot and they're not willing to sit through a franchise in a genre they don't like, so they just don't watch it.

They don't always need context though. Both Giant Robo and DYRL stand well enough on their own.
>>
>>13571462
>normies

Don't you have a school to shoot up you beta piece of inhuman shit?
>>
So, I've gotten a few different kinds of advice for starting Gundam, would this order be fine or is there some better way?:

Mobile Suit Gundam (0079)
Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack
War in the Pocket (0080)
Stardust Memory (0083)
The 08th MS Team
Turn A
MS IGLOO 1+2 (9 OVAs?)

That's what I'm currently downloading, and the order I intend to watch it in. Are the later series on the list going to be "worse" since I'm skipping a bunch of series? Are the later ones (particularly IGLOO?) not worth watching as much as other series? What of the series I'm not downloading are the "best"? I don't want to fuck up the series, but don't want to watch a dozen mediocre series to get the the good ones, and would prefer to stick to one time line at a time when possible.
>>
>>13571936
Add Majestic Prince and War in the Pocket
Don't delete anything
>>
>>13573406
>Majestic Wowitsfuckingnothing

Clearly you meant Fafner
>>
>>13573403
>Mobile Suit Gundam (0079)
>Zeta
>ZZ
>Char's Counterattack
That's all you need to worry about. Everything after that isn't in the same narrative. If you liked them, move on to either more unrelated UC stuff or some other universes.

Save Turn A for later, though. It's best seen after you get a few series under your belt. Not necessary by any means, but it sweetens the experience.
>>
>>13573403
Start with Unicorn.
>>
>>13573403
You can watch 08th MS at anytime
You can watch Stardust and War in the Pocket before or during Zeta
You don't need ZZ to watch CCA
You don't need to watch all of UC to watch Unicorn but it does help
You really don't need to watch IGLOO
Save Turn A for later aside from that you can watch anything you want in any order
>>
>>13571955
>Remove King Gainer and FMP
Fuck you

And on top of that FMP used to be a huge entry level show in general. Kids are probably more interested in Attack on Titan and that kind of stuff these days though.
>>
>>13573439
>>13573453
>"Save Turn A for later" in both posts
Is there a specific "later", or just "it's better if you know more of the Gundam timelines/stories"? The Rec Image called it "one of the best", which is why I figured I should be watching it once I finish the EUC stuff. I want to be able to watch the best stuff, in a way that won't require I watch too much of the bad stuff. The way I would explain it is that I absolutely loved Fate/Stay Night's VN, and once I got hooked on the world I was able to enjoy sitting through stuff like Prisma Ilya even though I normally don't watch magical girl series or lesbian loli series. I just want to be sure that by time I see the lame Gundam installments, I'll be able to enjoy it as an extension of the Gundam series I DO enjoy.

Also, everything I've started downloading is "series" format except the movies and OVAs that don't come in series to begin with. Are any of the "series" actually better as shortened movies? I have enough patience to sit through 50+ episode series if they isn't too full of filler and padding, but if certain movies are basically the exact same series without the padding I'd prefer that.

Thanks, /m/.
>>
>>13573490
I didn't say to remove them because I disliked them (though I am rather indifferent to both). I said to remove them because they're not GOAT good like the entries on a list that small should be. They both have their share of significant problems.
>>
>>13571936
remove Samurai 7
add Zone of the Enders because it's underrated as fuck
>>
>>13573517
Hahahahahaha oh my little newfag couldn't be more wrong if he tried!
>>
>>13573512
Later as in "watch at the minimum MSG and try out a non-Universal Centuy Gundam show or two made before Turn A and see what you think."

Again, Turn A stands on its own just fine, but if you end up really really liking Gundam and watch more of it, Turn A will mean a lot more to you.
>>
>>13573517
Not every show is gonna be as good as Giant Robo, putting in good starting points and interesting shows in general is fine. The point isn't to only list the best of the best, it's general recommendations.
>>
File: 1398538374728.jpg (499 KB, 1280x1028) Image search: [Google]
1398538374728.jpg
499 KB, 1280x1028
>>13573512
>it's better if you know more of the Gundam timelines/stories
Yeah pretty much, although you don't really need to watch all the Gundam shows/timeline that lead into it, but definitely save it once you feel you've experienced enough Gundam.

As for movies just stick to the series and watch the movies if you want a quick summation of what happened because the movies, especially the 0079 movies take out a lot of content
>>
>>13573546
Now THAT'S a good visual. Is the part with Turn A implying that it IS a sort of sequel to everything leading to it, or that it COULD be, or something else?
>>
>>13573552
you're opening a big can of worms with that question, nobody can agree
>>
>>13573546
but the 0079 movies should be required viewing at some point, especially due to the iconic insert songs, extended segments like A Baoa Qu, as well as a clearer theme regarding Newtypes

also the movies are responsible for the original Gundam boom in Japan, largely in part due to the removal of the toyetic stuff in favor of more practical sci-fi elements

>>13573552
It's kind of a bullshit chart that's been disproven by guidebooks and stuff, it was from a video game

think of Turn A as what the mathematical element implies: a sum of everything
>>
File: 1366512874439.jpg (219 KB, 1024x647) Image search: [Google]
1366512874439.jpg
219 KB, 1024x647
>>13570644
>Mecha and Magical Girl.
Get some Nanoha

The Symphogear thread doubles as a /m/ahou shoujo thread as well so you can try there.
>>
I downloaded 0079 and it has episodes labeled 1-42, but the guide and google both tell me there are 43 episodes. Does MSG have 1 recap episode that was possibly removed from my copy, or is something possibly wrong?
>>
>>13573804
Which torrent did you download? Maybe this episode.

http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Cucuruz_Doan's_Island
>>
>>13573811
I downloaded everything that looked good outside of redundant copies (movies verisons of series in the torrent) from this:

https://kat.cr/gundam-%D0%A1ollections-t4377615.html

It could be that episode, I'll try to check now. The version I got seems like a great copy, low file size with dual audio (which could be why an episode cut from NA release might be missing) and multiple types of English subtitles (yellow nostalgia subs and cleaner white subs).
>>
>>13573822
>using kat for anime
http://www.nyaa.se/?user=13874
>>
>>13573822
Replying to myself, and I just realized it doesn't have dual audio for everything. I guess I just have to replace 0079 because it's ENG only with no subs. Weird, because the episode I tested with from Zeta was Dual Audio. Turn A is subbed only, but that's fine and I'd guess it might not even have a dub.
>>
>>13573826
I don't use kat unless I have to. Nyaa didn't have any collections, and I just wanted the whole thing to download while I sleep without any trouble.

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&term=gundam&user=13874&sort=5

As you can see, Nyaa doesn't have any "collections" of Gundam series. Since it wasn't there, I checked kat and found a great copy (for everything but 0079, which is apparently dub only).
>>
>>13573830
The dub for 0079 is actually pretty good you don't need sub unless you really want to
>>
>>13573834
Do you not know what "Complete Batch" means? You can queue up multiple torrents to download, you know.
>>
>>13573834
>As you can see, Nyaa doesn't have any "collections" of Gundam series.
Dude it's the first fucking result
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=531318
>>
>>13573842
>http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=531318
That's a bloated copy of 0079, not a collection of different Gundam series.

>>13573839
I know what it means, but I also know that not every torrent is good quality or even has enough seeds. Getting one torrent with everything keeps the subs consistent between series and makes sure the video/audio quality isn't vastly different in shows that should be the same quality.

>>13573837
A good dub for something before 1980? I'll certainly try it, but even if it's good I'd just get an actual dual-audio copy.
>>
>>13573855
First off, EG is always the best bet. His encodes are intended for archival quality, preserving as much as the original picture, grain and all. He frequents here, posts his process, takes criticism, etc.

Second off, literally every mainline Gundam series has official English subtitles except for Victory and X which are coming at some point from our pals over at RightStuf.
>>
>>13573855
>bloated
It's the highest quality version
If you value your disc space that much just delete it when you're done

And no shit there's no torrent of all Gundam ever because that's 35+ years worth of shows it'd be hundreds of GB. My Gundam folder doesn't even have every series and it's 393 GB.

>Getting one torrent with everything keeps the subs consistent between series and makes sure the video/audio quality isn't vastly different in shows that should be the same quality.
Okay let me explain some shit to you
1) These shows have not all gotten bluray releases, or even good DVD releases in a few cases
2) This series has been going for DECADES, no shit the subs and quality aren't going to be consistent. Just pick a show and watch it.
>>
>>13572450
The fact that the 08th mobile suit team isn't on here makes me sad
>>13572529
>that filename
>>
>>13572547
Well I saw the package as a lot bigger
>>
>>13573855
40gigs is not bloated for a bluray rip of a 43 episode series.
>>
>>13571936
Absolutely needs Getter Robo: Armageddon, and like that other anon said LoDM
>>
>>13573855
>I also know that not every torrent is good quality or even has enough seeds. Getting one torrent with everything keeps the subs consistent between series and makes sure the video/audio quality isn't vastly different in shows that should be the same quality.
But every series in the kat one is garbage quality though. You have Turn A in fucking .avi for fuck's sake.
>>
>>13570644
>series that actually focus on mecha
Mobile Suit Gundam.
I cannot recommend this show enough. It heavily features mecha combat, but isn't really *about* mecha so much as the lives of a handful of kids caught in a war fought with mecha. If you only watch one Gundam series, make it the original.
>>
>>13573436
>Using Wowitsfuckingnothing as an insult while also suggesting Fafner
Thanks for the laugh.
>>
>>13571955
>>13574045
What is with you people and LODM? Armageddon too, but that I can kind of understand, even though Shin vs Neo would be the better choice. LODM makes no sense though.
>>
>>13573903
That's a crazy filesize for a rip of a show from 0079, at least for the people like me who keep anime instead of deleting them instantly after watching. You can find good copies under 10 gigs, and you can find rips under 4 gigs even.
>>
>>13574641
LoDM is the best fantasy mecha show I've ever seen, simple as that. Granted, I haven't seen Dunbine yet, but I like it more than Rayearth and Escaflowne and such. Its got a very unique setting for the kind of show that it is, it has great character and mech design, a bunch of likable characters and was good at building hype without doing a bunch of absurd bullshit nonsense the way something like TTGL was. The only thing I can fault it for is Proist being kind of a poorly written villain and all the QUALITY. Top tier show otherwise.
>>
>>13574974
>LoDM
>fantasy
But it's not in the slightest. At least, not any more so than the average /m/ show. Likeable characters are nice, but whether they're good or not is more important, which the majority of them aren't.
>great character and mech design
Let's not go too far now, especially
>mech design
>>
>>13574984
We may have been watching two different shows, because LoDM clearly takes place in a feudal fantasy world that could have very easily been medieval the way it was set up. The only thing that kept it from being that way was the presence of mechs and battleships instead of knights. Just because there weren't wizards running around casting spells and shit doesn't mean it's any less fantasy.

>good characters
>mecha
There are very, very few characters in the entire genre I'd consider any good, especially on something like fucking Gaiking. It's not Evangelion and it was never trying to be. It's a show that wants you to watch it for the plot and the robot fights, and in those regards, it's an enjoyable ride. A work doesn't need deep, well-developed characters to be good. Case in point: Shin Mazinger is my favorite anime.
>>
>>13571936
>http://pastebin.com/C02ZsbEt

Tetsujin 28-Go (1963) isn't even fully subbed in English.
>>
>>13575071
A feudal system does not fantasy make. I suppose your favorite anime also explains why you think the mech designs are good, if nothing else.
>>
>>13575071
And the robots, the underground facilities, the modern cities...
>>
>>13574838
>and you can find rips under 4 gigs even.
In fucking garbage quality compared to what's available now maybe

If you're that keen on saving shows get a new HD. 2 TB is pretty cheap these days.
>>
>>13575101
I suppose that means Escaflowne isn't fantasy either because it also has all of those things

>>13575090
There are some things that are close to straight up magic in the show. And it's not just the shit the robots do either. The portal between Darius and Earth and some of the things Proist did come to mind. Didn't she kill her father by blasting him with an energy ball or something?
>>
>>13575217
Portals and energy balls are fantastical, but not fantasy. You see them plenty in regular science fiction.
>>
>>13573453
>Stardust before Zeta
You're thougher than cockroaches.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.