[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Macross Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13
File: macrossresdefault.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
macrossresdefault.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
Just started Super Dimension Fortress Macross with a friend of mine, it is stunningly good. We are four episodes in and we both agree it is almost perfect, everything is so great. So I thought I'd start a Macross thread to talk about it with you guys.

And does the animation stay as good as it was in the first two episodes? I was blow away that a long-running mech anime from the 80s had animation as good as that, especially coming off Zeta and ZZ. I really hope the animations stays at that quality through most of the show, it really helps make it for me
>>
It has its moments again and it also has moments where you wonder if the animators simply didnt show up that week
>>
>And does the animation stay as good as it was in the first two episodes?

Hoo boy, get ready for some quality.
>>
The newer DVD release is generally very good. The TV broadcast had some interesting animation.
>>
You know how Gundam has QUALITY animation for some of its robot fights and is otherwise fine everywhere else?

Macross is the opposite. The robot fights are mostly fine, but then the QUALITY appears in the human scenes.
>>
File: 37374298_p0.jpg (1 MB, 1980x1395) Image search: [Google]
37374298_p0.jpg
1 MB, 1980x1395
>>13569739

There are two recap episodes almost back-to-back about midway through the series, but the episode that follows after that makes up for it big time. I (somehow) went into this show with absolutely no spoilers and was astonished start to finish by how amazing a piece of sci-fi this show turned out to be. I recommend you bail this thread ASAP.
>>
File: slideshows.webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
slideshows.webm
3 MB, 320x240
>>13569739
Nope.
>>
>>13569787
>I (somehow) went into this show with absolutely no spoilers and was astonished start to finish by how amazing a piece of sci-fi this show turned out to be.

Right? There is a big difference between shows that are in the scifi genre and are actually science fiction. Most mecha just has scifi aesthetics, but SDF at least is good old fashioned science fiction, easily on par with Heinlein.

Even 7, as stupid and silly as it can be, has a surprisingly logical progression after you take its absurd premise for granted.
>>
>>13569739
NOOOOOOPE!
It has it's ups and downs, animation wise. Glad you have enough taste to enjoy it, bruv. If you want to see some seriously good animation be sure to check out the movie once you're done with the TV show.
>>
File: millia vs max.webm (2 MB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
millia vs max.webm
2 MB, 700x700
>>13569796
Does it?
>>
File: bask in the light.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
bask in the light.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>>13570580
A friend of mine used to hate- and I mean hate- Basara. That changed when I pointed out that kids living in a world where Minmay more or less prevented extinction with pop music would likely emulate her. Basara is one of the major examples, as is Emilia from the movie, and I don't doubt that there are more people like them.

Macross has surprisingly solid worldbuilding and progression of concepts. It's pretty cool.
>>
>>13573880
The bst part about 7 is that the premise sounds retarded, but when you watch the show it actually makes sense.

The same happened when I watched Hibiki.
>>
>>13573701
Everytime someone says Macross has QUALITY animation, someone posts the Max VS Miria fight, because that's one of the few well animated scenes in the TV series. The rest is quality all over the place.
>>
>>13573905
> Max vs Milia fight
You best not be talking about the knife fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km45Nus0GJE
>>
>>13573905
Yeah, sometimes it's amazing, sometimes it's alright and sometimes it's the worst I've ever seen in a television production.

It's pretty much a case of 'We only have so much money, so we're going to prioritise these scenes and if anyone wants to work on it more, please do because we have no fucking money.'
>>
>>13569796
>posting a webm of the broadcast version, which aired incomplete

nice argument
>>
>>13569739
I'm at ep.14 and I agrre, it's really great.
>likable cast
>Good balance character development and action
>good character writing
>Politics aren't boring
>FUCKING JETS THAT TRANSFORM INTO MECHS
>FUCKING DOGFIGHTS IN SPACE AGAINST ALIEN INVADERS
Some episodes are a bit boring (for example ep.4) but others make up for that, like Bye Bye Mars (episode7), , and there's not that much QUALITY for the moment (apart from ep.11).
>>
>>13569739
Macross has famously bad animation, but I never noticed. I don't think it's fair to say Zeta and ZZ had bad animation either, since they had a lot of good animation, well directed fights, its just tv animation always takes the lowest budget route. Macross was the same way for me. They're different kinds of directors than Tomino but I was engorssed so much by the concepts like a city on a space ship I didn't notice the poor animation.

It's got more scenes like the first 2 eps that look amazing, and a lot of scenes that look like shit.
>>
>>13573902
Do you mean Symphogear?
>>
When are we getting more Delta news?
I want more Kawamorisms
>>
Didn't think this was worth starting a new thread. Are the Macross Frontier movies worth watching if I saw the TV series?
>>
>>13573905
No, the bad episodes are all the ones that got outsourced to the same studio that did transformers and tmnt
>>
>>13581141
Yes.
>>
>>13581141
They're the DYRL of Frontier so yeah
>>
>>13581158
>the DYRL of Frontier

High praise, I'll check them out then.
>>
I remember when I was watching this series years ago. During episode 27 I dropped to my knees and almost cried.
Never did feel something like that watching any mecha series in my life. During those 24 minutes so many emotions flooded my mind. From utter shock to happiness.
God this was great series.
>>
>>13581158
I'd say they're more like ANT: recycled animation mixed with new animation.
>>
File: 119931_original.jpg (370 KB, 1800x1215) Image search: [Google]
119931_original.jpg
370 KB, 1800x1215
>>13581425
I first saw it on Toonami and was just amazed by it. Then I watched it again years later in its original form and still felt the same way.

This has and will always be my favorite show.
>>
>>13581455
From this franchise SDF Macross with Road to 2012 and DYRL combined as one are my favourite.

Macross Plus OVA with Movie combined are close second.
>>
>>13581475
For me, Plus is tied with 7 for second best.
>>
>>13581440
There's maybe 10 minutes of reused footage in the 4 hours, they diverge very quickly so I think that's a little disingenuous to say.
>>
>>13581651
Just as well, I felt the Frontier movies were not as good as the show, much less DYRL.

The one saving grace being lolita trap-hime.
>>
>>13569739

Help me, /m/. I can't get past 10 episodes of Macross. The only reason I got through what I got through that was skipping most of the stuff with Minmei. She's not a horrible character-- less annoying than Shakti-- but she's pretty much cardboard-- literally just a cute waitress who doesn't do anything interesting. She doesn't even do useful bridge bunny stuff, like Frau Bow. I know elevenses have different tastes, but still.

Why is Hikaru chasing her so much? As a super star race pilot war hero, he should have girls clammering over his dick, regardless of what he does.

Does the show start to focus more on the cool alien stuff and combat after a while? Episode 8, the one with exploding base on Mars and Hayase being awesome, was great, but the moe slice of life party is killing it for me.
>>
>>13581704
Keep watching it will get better and better! Shit will get serious real fast and you won't be able to stop until you finish the whole thing. You will know when shit will hit the fan etc.
>>
>>13581704

Yes, the show focuses on the aliens more later. In fact, the more screentime that the Zentradi get, the better the show becomes.

You can't skip the rest off the Minmei stuff to come, though. She isn't doing anything useful yet, but she has a very important role to play in the near future. This girl is going to change the course of history, and you need to power through the buildup to that.
>>
>>13581714

I'm digging the Zentraedi stuff, especially the inner political stuff between the fleets and culture confusion.

>>13581714
>You can't skip the rest off the Minmei stuff to come, though. She isn't doing anything useful yet, but she has a very important role to play in the near future. This girl is going to change the course of history, and you need to power through the buildup to that.

Is it handled naturally or is it like Saji Crossroads being fucking everywhere for no reason other than plot?
>>
>>13577408
I meant Kamen Rider Hibiki, but yeah, the same applies to Symphogeah.
>>
>>13581735

Its natural, for better or for worse.
>>
How's Macross 30? Been thinking about importing it for a while now, but i've heard mixed things about it.
>>
>>13581672
The music was much better I thought though, especially in the second one.
>>
>>13569739
You're doing yourself a favor if you watch the entirety of the macross series in order of appearance. I did that whilst skipping over Seven after a while, couldn't stand the non-story. The references in Frontier will be amazing.
>>
>>13581953
Pretty awesome but there's some slowdown. No reason not to play it other than that.
>>
>>13569739
The budget of Macross is less than that of Zeta. But more skilled animators worked on Macross. I don't remember if the quality goes down significantly after the first two episodes, but there is plenty of disgustingly bad animation every once in a while.
>>
7 > DYRL = SDF > plus > frontier movies > shit > frontier > Minmay > Zero
>>
>>13582801
What about Dynamite?
>>
>>13582801
>Plus over anything but Zero
>>
>>13581735
Minmay is central to the story and pretty much all of the sequels, too. Not necessary in screentime but it's like watching Star Wars while saying they should have removed the Darth Vader parts, then what's the point.
>>
>>13581455
>>13569739

I must ask, and not trolling

Could Macross actually be considered a musical?
>>
>>13584161
No, but music plays an enormous role in the story. (I haven't seen Zero, not sure if there were any utaus in that.)
>>
File: Macross-Musical.png (239 KB, 597x312) Image search: [Google]
Macross-Musical.png
239 KB, 597x312
>>13584161
Already had one.
>>
>>13584161
>Could Macross actually be considered a musical?

Not really. In a musical the song and dance numbers are integrated into the plot as a direct portrayal of events that are not actually a song and dance number. The song and dance numbers in Macross are literal in world song and dance numbers.

So there's a similarity there, but it's not a musical.
>>
>>13584181

Well, could the "dance" part be considered the mecha battles?
>>
>>13584241
It's more about the fact that when people sing in Macross it's actually a character singing an actual in world song, rather than singing their dialog, internal thoughts, or narration of their actions.

Though that said I would really love to see a mecha fight done as a Grease style dance-fight.
>>
>>13584253

FUND IT!
>>
>>13584253
>Sunrise will never make Code Grease
>>
File: bikiwwwww.png (75 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
bikiwwwww.png
75 KB, 377x377
>>13584301
>Code Grease
>>
>>13584253
>mecha fight done as a Grease style dance-fight.
>not an entire massive battle done as a West Side Story style dance rumble
>>
If you think the quality if the TV series is good then you'll be blown away when you watch the Do You Remember Love movie. Which seems to be the story they use for every Macross going forward
>>
>>13585005

Not exactly.

In later Macross stuff, the PLOT of SDF is what actually happened, but the VISUALS of DYRL are what everything actually looked like.

Its somewhat ambiguous where the actual 'Do You Remember Love?' song came from under those circumstances, but the most commonly accepted explanation is that its a Minmay original done for the movie, which we do know was an actual movie in-universe.
>>
>>13585043
>PLOT of SDF is what actually happened
So Max and Milia really did have a knife fight that got her all wet?
>>
>>13585064

I guess? They never, like, call back to that or confirm it later. But the nature of the conflict and the way space war one ended was different between SDF and DYRL, and everything we see later in the timeline draws way more from SDF than the DYRL version of events.
>>
Anybody know when Harmony Gold's legally questionable rights expire?
>>
>>13585276

Due to lawyer magic, literally never.

Robotech is a thing that exists, legally, independent of Macross in the US. Harmony Gold owns that thing, and the rights to it will not expire in the same way that DC doesn't have to worry about their ownership of Superman expiring. It is theirs until the end of time.

Everything visually iconic in Robotech is part of their brand. Anything in Macross that gets sold in america that is a 'copy' of that brand is infringement on the rights of Harmony Gold unless they approve it. The fact that Macross predates Robotech is utterly irrelevant to the legality.

Robotech is such a clusterfuck of creative control and origin that no sanely written law ever expected something like it to occur, so it is protected just like if HG came up with it themselves. And it always will be, because all Harmony gold has to do is sit on it and demand ransom every time anything Macross related gets too close to North America. They already made back whatever money they spent on making Robotech a thing in the first place, occasionally they accrue enough interest to make a low-risk venture of releasing some new material to see if more money than they put into it will happen. Otherwise, it costs them $0 to just sit on the brand name and wait for Japan to buckle one day and pay them a shitton of money to let them sell to North American markets.
>>
>>13585558
American intellectual property law is so fucked. Copyright is up to something like life of the author + 70 years and 120 years from publication without a clear author. With various ways to renew.
>>
>>13585558
So basically the only way for Macross getting to NA is if Harmony Gold goes bankrupt or gets bought by someone else who hopefully won't use their license like they do.
>>
>>13585558
And due to US law, the fact that Tatsunoko technically didn't even have the rights to sell them originally means fuckall.
Christ I hate copyright law.
>>
I want to get into Macross, but I'm not sure what subs/releases to use. Anyone have a list or chart? And for SDF, should I go with the Bunny Hat BD or Galaxy Network Batches?
>>
>>13587695
If Harmony Gold went bankrupt and had its assets sold the most likely outcome would be that the Robotech/Macross IP would be bought up by a company actually interested in coming to an arrangement to distribute Macross.

The question then is, could that company come to a mutually satisfactory deal with the various Japanese license holders.
>>
I want to check out Macross Plus after I watched DYRL and the original SDF a few months ago, which version is the best?

I also hear that the BluRay version is out, does it have english subs?
>>
>>13589922
Watch the OVA, then the movie.
OVA has a couple really cool action scenes that didn't make it into the movie, but the movie tells the story with tighter pacing and some new character scenes that are pretty neat.
>>
>>13589971
Thanks for the answer man, already started downloading the Bluray OVA version.
>>
File: img03.png (400 KB, 868x500) Image search: [Google]
img03.png
400 KB, 868x500
>>
Am I the only one who cringed throughout the entire series?
It seemed very cool and promising at the beginning but as the episodes passed the plot became more ridiculous and the characters became more unbearable.
Yeah, the mechs, battles and animation were pretty cool but got boring and repetitive at some point.
>>
>>13573902
>Tfw Hibiki season 2

Holy shit it was so bad. I love Hibiki season 1. The coming of age story, Hibiki trying to be a bro to the younger riders, everything.

Then we have that mary sue shit and the horrible writing in S2 and that stupid final battle.
>>
File: macrossdelta03.png.jpg (18 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
macrossdelta03.png.jpg
18 KB, 400x200
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWC-FmK8vhI

New Macross Delta TV CM. New mech could be SV-262 Draken III head.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.