[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reminder that this piece of shit killed Gundam in America.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10
File: zeta.png (2 MB, 1492x1080) Image search: [Google]
zeta.png
2 MB, 1492x1080
Reminder that this piece of shit killed Gundam in America.
>>
>>13567353

Actually, 9/11 killed Gundam in America.
>>
>>13567353
No I killed Gundam in America.
>>
>Zeta
>Killing gundam in America
Zeta was a sleepers hit.
>>
>>13567353
That's not Wing.
>>
>>13567353
I was just about to start watching Zeta, should I just watch Seed Instead?
>>
>>13567456
No, watch G-Reco
>>
>>13567462
Already did, it was fucking amazing. :^)
>>
>>13567466
this desu
>>
>>13567462
CAN YOU STOP BRINGING UP G POOPOO EVERY STINKING THREAD?! HOLY SNICKERS IT'S DANG NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO FREAKING TALK ABOUT GUNDAM ANYMORE WITHOUT YOU BUTTSNIFFERS RUNNING IN TRYING TO CAUSE ARGUMENTS OVER THAT SHOW!
>>
>>13567485
Yeah, let's shitpost about Zeta instead.
>>
I don't remember zeta even airing in the US. Its the original series that flopped and then after 9/11 the franchise basically died. Seed attempted to revive it but the ratings stunk on the toonami slot so they moved it to a deathslot at like 1am on friday nights back before adultswim had friday nights.
>>
>>13567456

What? No. Watch fucking Zeta.
>>
>>13567353
That's not SD gundam.
>>
Zeta Sucks.
>>
>>13567456
Just read the wiki and skip straight to ZZ
>>
>>13567557
Zeta is shit.
>>
>9/11
How did it kill GUndam?
>>
>>13567667
Patriotism.
>>
SEED killed Gundam in America.
>>
>>13567572
You mean Doozy Bots?
>>
>>13567667
0079 was doing poorly in terms of ratings so the execs at cartoon network used 9/11 as an excuse to take it off the air.
>>
>>13567353
Gundam SEED killed Gundam in the US because it was big hit in Japan.So, Bandai Japan made Bandai America stop the Zeta Toy line in the US, thus, the Gundam line got black listed by retailers since they failed to deliver.
>>
>>13567667

The original first Gundam was on Cartoon Network during that time, but when 9/11 happened it was taken off the air. "Too violent, too warlike," they said.
>>
>>13567667
After 9/11 kids TV got a bit more heavily censored for things with war or terrorist-like acts in them.
>>
>>13567456
Are you INSANE!? Watch Zeta you moron.
>>
Zeta was the best romantic comedy I ever watched.
>>
>>13567353
More like it killed Gundam everywhere
>>
>>13567821
What. How did they think that was abright idea?
>>
How could Gundam be revived in America?
>>
>>13568124

Bandai assumes that Gundam would have similar performances in America like they did in Japan. If something flopped over there, like X or Turn A, they assume it would flop overseas as well.

It even continues today with it's treatment of Gundam AGE. Despite Rightstuff's stated goal of releasing all the Gundams that haven't aired in America first, AGE is the only one they're leaving out. It's not even being rotated on Gundam.info.

America didn't go nuts for 0079 while SEED was selling like hotcakes at the time. Focusing on that over Zeta makes some sense, but then they fucked that up too with the cancelled Zeta line and editing the show to a Y-7 rating.
>>
>>13568192
Good. AGE is shit.
>>
>>13567353
I seem to recall this exact thread few months ago...
>>
>>13567353
I suppose now's a bad time to remind that /m/ favorite G Gundam arguably did more to kill Gundam in America thanks to its role in killing the MSiA market.

Zeta's release wasn't a cause of Gundam's failure in the US. A symptom at best.
>>
>>13568192
(Continued)

Granted, this makes me question a few things about Destiny. We have stories of it's models selling like crap stretching all the way back to when the show first aired. How much did this play a part in it not airing in the US? It aired in Canada, but SEED wasn't cancelled in Canada either. Did Bandai not push for it, leaving it direct-to-video, because Cartoon Network didn't want it or was it because they weren't expecting it's gunpla to sell? You know, how they fucked the US market with SEED combined with it not performing in Japan?
>>
>>13568192
To be somewhat fair to Bandai on this count - they can partially gauge US reactions thanks to the internet now.

In that regard, AGE was...not exactly well received here.
Not the worst thing ever, but when a show that's already underperforming in your own country is getting a "Whoopty-fuck!" from what foreign markets you can tap into, it doesn't leave you in a hurry to give it a wider export.
>>
>>13568266
Wait. This isn't the Gundam Wing thread. What do I care, it was probably made by the same faggot who made it anyway.
>>
>>13568226
Seed had crap ratings in the US and its merchandise wasn't selling. Why would they be interested in bringing the sequel over when the first series didn't sell?
>>
>>13567665
You is shit.
>>
>>13567456
About to Start Watching Zeta-anon here again. I'm 2 episodes into Zeta and I like it so far. I have a few notes:

1. Secret Base space security is really not what it used to be.

2. Kamille is psychotic and off his meds, I'm guessing. Yeah, I get that he's a newtype, but holy shit what a special snowflake.

I'm going to be using this thread as my won personal blog as I watch through the series, up next is episode 3.
>>
File: troubled eagle.jpg (59 KB, 457x695) Image search: [Google]
troubled eagle.jpg
59 KB, 457x695
What's with all this Zeta-baiting on /m/ lately?
>>
>>13568517
People are finally starting to realize it's the worst Gundam show.
>>
The decision to push and air the original series was kinda iffy. It's a necessary gateway to much of the franchise, but something that old can be a hard sell to kids. It wasn't doing all too well and then 9/11 just killed it.

Exactly how well did G Gundam even do here, anyway? I think I recall stores overflowing with some G Gundam dud mobile suits was the first stumble in the franchise's western downfall.

As has been mentioned, it all comes down to trying to push things based on what was and wasn't successful in Japan. Gundam X probably would have been the best choice to air here after Wing. There are plenty of stylistic similarities with Wing - and it would have been a better sort of gauge structurally/thematically to try and prep the waters for the original series. X flopped in Japan because the audience was simply burned out with it right on the heels of Victory, G, and Wing. That burnout obviously didn't exist over here.
>>
>>13568517
It's /m/. No one here actually likes mecha anime because like any artistic medium, it isn't perfect. People just like the designs and the toys, so they shitpost to make themselves feel better. It's like a more civilized /v/ for anime.
>>
>>13567353
I thought that Wing and poor education have killed Gundam in America
>>
>>13568548
Exactly. Banrise acted as if people should fall over themselves for UC product just like Japan and failed to realize it would not work overseas.
>>
We've been over this. What killed Gundam in 'Murrica was a combination of G's toys being stuck on shelves because nobody wanted the z-listers, and 0079 and SD Force's poor ratings.
Zeta didn't even make it on the air.

Zeta still shit though.
>>
>>13568548
There's one other advantage X would have here over Japan - 5 episodes a week vs 1 a week.

GX, to be perfectly honest, has some REALLY erratic pacing. It's fine in the first arc or so, but there's stretches where the show drags to a crawl that, at an episode a week, can kill interest hard.

Toonami's format would have made it a LOT easier to truck with that problem.
>>
>>13568451
>I'm going to be using this thread as my won personal blog as I watch through the series, up next is episode 3.
Alright, starting 4 soon. Poor Kamille, he just keeps getting the shit end of the stick.
>>
>>13568551
>Gundam is for smart people
>>
File: asrras.png (362 KB, 574x414) Image search: [Google]
asrras.png
362 KB, 574x414
>>13567353
THIS killed Gundam in America
>>
>>13568226
Gundam SEED was popular in Canada and got good ratings.
>>
File: why-you-always-lying.jpg (20 KB, 467x414) Image search: [Google]
why-you-always-lying.jpg
20 KB, 467x414
>>13568543
>>
>>13568557
Actually regarding that, in the long run, for UC, it seems to be working. The RX-78 HGUC Revive is one of the top selling model kits in the U.S. at the moment. And RightStuff has openly expressed sales of the MSG BDs have done better than expected.

>Gundam X probably would have been the best choice to air here after Wing

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, no it would not have been. There was no merchandise for Gundam X outside of model kits, and any new action figures developed would need at least a year to allow the large retailers like ToysRus/Target/Walmart etc. the time to plan for the space in their stores. This obviously wouldn't be possible if the materials available were all things that either had to have already been released (no Gundam X MSIA were ever released) or had to coincide with Japanese domestic market production lot runs. Even the "HGUC Char's Zaku" released in the U.S. ended up having to rely on an existing kit, the 08th MS Team HG Zaku in man salmon because HGUC Char's Zaku didn't exist until 2002.

The actual answer to the best Gundam to air after Wing was Gundam Seed as that had flavor of UC mixed in with new animation along with the silly melodrama found in Wing and had the upcoming non model kit merchandise to back it. However the infrastructure to air on TV so soon after release in Japan was not yet developed since anime looking like a moneymaker and the rise of all those big licensors like ADV, etc. was just starting and no one knew anything.
>>
>>13569243
Did you ever find out which of the 5 Wing Gundams sells the least?
>>
>>13569243
And then when they did air Seed it had some heavy censors and did poorly in the ratings on Toonami to the point where they swapped its timeslot to get rid of it.
>>
>>13569255
it's a weird flip flop tie between shenlong and sandrock for the u.s. anyway
>>
>>13569243
>However the infrastructure to air on TV so soon after release in Japan was not yet developed
Digimon Adventure only had a 5 month gap between the Japanese starting date and the America date.
>>
>>13569333

Because it was heavily edited for TV consumption in the U.S. Thank you Saban.

I'm not sure what to think if Gundam had been Roboteched/Power Rangers adapted. I mean I kinda like that Wing was more or less untouched in plot/dialogue for the most part.
>>
>>13567353
G Gundam over produced toys killed the AU's until Seed came along later. And 9/11 and 1970's animation killed UC. By the time Zeta got here the damage was already done.
>>
Considering it didn't even air on TV, I don't think it did kill Gundam in the US.

And it's not a piece of shit.
>>
>>13568549
This is too real. A lot of people I know that "like" Gundam actually just like the design of Seed suits and watched Wing back in the day. The second I bring up UC they check out. Everyone else has only watched Gundam stuff post build fighters and judge older shows by the shit posting of other people that haven't seen the shows either. /m/'s in kind of a rut right now.
>>
>>13569455
Or some people, like me, have seen every Gundam show, but they've been on /m/ since 2008 and so have already discussed the series to death.
>>
>>13568517
People act like idiots when they are anonymous, and a lot of people either did not watch it or have such intense borrowed nostalgia for 0079 that they hate Zeta for being so tonally different.
And there's many people who hate it because of the characters, but they are all regurgitating the same shit (wah wah Katz wah wah Kamille is autistic),so they might have never seen it and are just parrotting.
>>
>>13569474
I feel ya. I'm about at that point too. The post below this is "Is G Gundam racist". Time to take a break from /m/
>>
>>13568517
>What's with all this Zeta-baiting on /m/ lately?
>lately
How new are you? It's been going on for years.
>>
>>13569243
Yeah, that is a good point. I hadn't considered that aspect of it.

Seed would have been the best follow-up. But how quick they could have turned it around is completely moot. It first started airing in Japan 2 1/2 years after Wing completed its US TV broadcast (and 2 years after Endless Waltz was broadcast in the US). It wouldn't have been on the radar whatsoever.

I think the problem was that there was -no- good series to follow-up with the US audience at that point whatsoever. The original TV series was too dated. X's series itself may have worked, but as you mentioned it lacked merchandise. G did... okay-ish over here? It had plenty of merchandise and I know it made some fans when it aired, but it's just so different in style that it was going to struggle to capture the same sort of fans that Wing did.

G could've possibly have been a workable enough bridge between Wing and Seed. But that's entirely in hindsight, as back in late 2000 (when Seed was probably in little more than early planning stages) was anyone calling the shots for US distribution supposed to know "Hey, in two years, the perfect Gundam series for the US audience is going to start!".
>>
File: 1350854909480.jpg (53 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1350854909480.jpg
53 KB, 300x300
>>13567456
No, watch stardust memory before.
>>
>>13569478
>people either did not watch it or have such intense borrowed nostalgia for 0079 that they hate Zeta for being so tonally different
why do zetafags have to come up with these bizarre delusions to discredit people who don't like their favourite show
>>
>>13568548
G Gundam did fairly well ratings wise, and the core merchandise for it(figures for the main suits) sold reasonably well, the problem was that they released too many of the minor suits all at once, which combined with them throwing too much focus on the Battle-Scarred line led to there being a ton of shelf-warming product that lead to Gundam being considered poisonous to sell, to the point that Walmart completely refused to carry SEED's line at all, and most other chains barely ordered any, which led to the MSIA line's demise in the US, and not too long after Gundam as a viable franchise

>>13568575
I think SD Gundam Force wouldn't be as reviled if it had been running alongside a more conventional series, cause SDGF is actually pretty decent

>>13569275
personally I'm more than fine with SEED being censored, the hyper violence in that show was always one of the worst parts of it, I'm actually sad they didn't finish editing the whole show

>>13569377
imagine if they'd Robotech'd Original, Zeta, and ZZ together in the early 90's, that could have been something

>>13569649
wonder how a US release of Turn A or Victory back then would have gone?
>>
>>13569478
>have such intense borrowed nostalgia for 0079 that they hate Zeta for being so tonally different.
I think it's pretty fair to dislike Zeta if you really like 0079 and go into Zeta expecting that, but better. You don't need "borrowed nostalgia" to like something and not like its sequel.
>>
>>13567353
Sign of Zeta was better than puru time and kokko loli.
>>
>>13569813
0083 was actually my intro to Gundam, back in 1992.
Now I'm about 6 eps into Zeta. Poor Kamille.
>>
>>13569813
Personally, I'd vote save it for after.

0083 has the similar problem to the Star Wars prequels in that it presents itself to you with the assumption you already know where it's going. That allows it to drop in stuff from the later series just totally casually and expect you to go "OOOOOH SHIIIIIIT!" because you already know it.

For example, if you haven't seen Zeta, the presence of Haman in the meeting when Axis debates what to do with the Delaz Fleet is wasted. Ditto the scene of Jamitov in Jaburo.
>>
>>13569967
Censoring SEED is one thing. The problem is, it was BAD censoring. I mean, I realize some of that's tricky to play off, but the neon-doctored 'disco guns' as people took to calling them all but screamed 'THIS IS CENSORED'
As a rule, the mark of good editing is that you don't realize it's there. Outlaw Star, some bumps aside (Jim staring at a bloodless hand comes to mind), did a good job with that. SEED did not.
>>
I would have loved to have seen Fukuda's face when he was told SEED was cancelled. It's really funny considering SEED went into production around the time Wing was a hit and appealing to Americans was something they took into consideration.
>>
>>13572616
It didn't get cancelled. It got shuffled to Hell and back, but it still completed its run over here.
It was more the fact that, outside of Canada, Destiny was just passed over entirely for airing here.
>>
>>13572483

But it's shit if you watch it later because it's so bad.
>>
File: sandrock_kai.jpg (2 MB, 5696x3931) Image search: [Google]
sandrock_kai.jpg
2 MB, 5696x3931
>>13569296
Source?
Where do they have these stats?
>>
Watching-Zeta-instead-of-Seed anon, reporting in:

So far so good. Just 1 question: Why no 1/144 HGUC Galbady? That suit gets a lot of screen time.
>>
>>13575884
Welcome to the "I love X suit but there's no kits" club.
Gabthley has a kit though, so that's good.
>>
why is everyone in this garbage show so fucking incompetent and why dont people realize tomino is a hack
>>
>>13568451
why is Kamille allowed to do anything that he does, particularly early on

Like, right out the gate, he's just this fucking lunatic kid.
>skips training, doesn't give a shit
>goes to the space port, punches an officer, locked up
>gets in a fight literally seconds after he fucking gets bailed out
>uses the attack to cover his escape, jacks a car, steals a gundam, joins AEUG
>repeatedly goes out in said gundam without any authorization, even when it's missing a fucking arm because fuck you, and everyone's like "yeah, you go man!"

he's a fucking wild dog
he's got genuine issues to explain it, but he shouldn't have even gotten to episode 5 or so the way he was acting
>>
>>13573048
He works for Bluefin, a distributor.
>>
>>13567353

bad soap opera
>>
>>13580441
>repeatedly goes out in said gundam without any authorization
Man imagine if they just put a fucking padlock on their Gundams
0083 could have been skipped entirely. No Titans, no Zeta. Padlocks are the more OP than any mobile suit.
>>
>>13570316

Well it is basically Encounters in Space done better. I suppose when people say that it doesn't resemble 0079 they mean that it doesn't resemble the first 2/3rds, which it doesn't. The final arc is the best part of 0079 for me so it makes sense that I like Zeta better. I get how people would like 0079 better but 9/10 times the criticisms given to Zeta are undue and are mostly things that result from directly misinterpreting what actually happened in the show or missing important details. Not that it is a perfect show, it is Gundam, but most Zeta haters seem to have poor reasons, and are excessively hostile when people point out that they don't know what they are talking about.

>>13580441

The in universe explanation is that he had divorced parents who ignored him for their work and lovers. Tomino was doing some social commentary on how family units in Japan were beginning to break down like they were in the 70s in the US.
>>
>>13580458

Welcome to anime, newfag.
>>
>>13575884
Alright, 10 episodes in. I have to say I really enjoyed Wong giving Kamille the old beatdown. Does that make me a bad person?
>>
Who the fuck would even watch anime on TV?!

Oh god the days before reliable broadband and torrentclients were dark indeed.
>>
>>13580602
No, of all the random Tomino violence it's one of the more entertaining outbursts.
>>
>>13568124
Japan keeps making retarded decisions about Gundam in America all the time.

>export the glitchy mess that was Crossfire to the U.S.
>surprise, it sells poorly even among fans on account of being dogshit
>refuse to export the much better 0081, blame it on America having no Gundam market
>>
>>13568548
I have no idea why Banrise thought those goofy-ass Gundams from G would sell. I remember the one that looked like it was made of anal beads and a trash can sitting on the shelves for years.
>>
>>13569243
I kind of think that if Sunrise really wanted to make U.C. Gundam popular in the west, they should have led with something like 0083 or 08th MS Team. You don't need a ton of backstory apart from what they already provide, so you get the gist of the U.C. pretty quick.
>>
File: Mandala_gundam.jpg (40 KB, 276x400) Image search: [Google]
Mandala_gundam.jpg
40 KB, 276x400
>>13580677
Mandala Gundam?

oh yeah, that sure as fuck wasn't going to sell ever
It's kind of cool in the show (mostly because of its pilot), but it's still really ugly and unmarketable.
>>
>>13567364
This guy gets it. I remember the rush to pull Gundam after 9/11. and I don't think any of the show aired after 2001 except for maybe G Gundam (I remember being surprised that they got away with the destruction of the Statue of Liberty), SD Gundam and eventually, a hilariously censored Gundam Seed.
>>
>>13580580
no

ive seen the good soap operas
>>
>>13572603
I'll admit I would love to see someone do a better quality edit of SEED to get rid of the gore while leaving everything else alone(I've watched plenty of gory anime over the years, yet that's one of the only times it's ever bugged me, along with the dog scene from that ancient Battle Angel OVA)

>>13580677
>>13580732
I think it wouldn't have been too bad if they had both spaced them out better, and released the goofier ones in much smaller numbers

>>13580798
that's partially cause they didn't have anything else they could show that had any preexisting merch for it(X and Victory were considered failures and or problematic to import, Zeta they hemmed and hawed over too long in importing, and Turn A was considered too much of a slow oddball to do well over here)
>>
>>13568124
>How did they think that was a Bright idea?

I have Noa idea.
>>
>>13580677
They didn't.

All the large retailers demanded more "Gundam" merchandise and less "non Gundam characters". I.e. we want more v fins, less things without v fins. It was either comply or they don't get the shelf space in the store.
>>
>>13568192
They'll release AGE... eventually.

>>13568194
Not even close.
>>
Gundam in America was never kill.
>>
>>13569967
The G Gundam line was crazy. If you didn't get one of the original Gundams in the first wave you were shit out of luck. All you had after that was their hyper mode and battle scarred variants.
>>
File: kamille_autistic_child.png (769 KB, 984x720) Image search: [Google]
kamille_autistic_child.png
769 KB, 984x720
>>13568451
>2. Kamille is psychotic and off his meds, I'm guessing. Yeah, I get that he's a newtype, but holy shit what a special snowflake.

He's an autistic child.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.