[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16
So I just got a new pc rig not that long ago with a brand new everything. Including hard drive. So im wondering what /m/ games you guys would recommend for a clean slate. I currently own Strike Suit Zero, Total Annihilation, the Supreme commander games, and a bunch of space combat sims.
>>
Human Revolution
Deus Ex Revision
FTL
Portal 2
>>
File: fs2.jpg (65 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fs2.jpg
65 KB, 1024x768
Freespace 1 & 2 is a must, especially FS2.
>>
>>13562960
Got those.
>>13562925
Is Deus Ex considered /m/ enough? Last time I was here(Long time ago) that was considered murky water
>>
>/m/ games
get a PS1, PS2 emulator, PS3 if there's one
>>
>>13562966
I guess you can't play Deus Ex now because it's not /m/ enough
>>
>>13562966
Cyborgs are /m/ as fuck. Anybody who thinks it isn't /m/ also probably thinks toku isn't /m/ either. Both cases are wrong, that's all you need to know.
>>
File: virtualonpc-1.jpg (58 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
virtualonpc-1.jpg
58 KB, 640x480
The first Virtual On had a PC version...
>>
>>13562910
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. It's the Freespace 2 of space naval combat simulators, right down to killing the entire genre.

Civ V. You get giant death robots in that and it's super addicting and likely on sale.

Endless Space is kind of a miss rather than a hit, but I guess the multiplayer is interesting?

Homeworld Remastered if you want to play Homeworld 2 in HD glory. Homeworld 1 has bugs like formations doing diddly squat.

Valkyria Chronicles.
>>
>>13563018
Does anyone know if Gearbox plans to add Homeworld Cataclysm?
>>
Emulate the good gundam games on the PS2 (Zeonic Front, 1 year war)
>>
>>13563018
It's a shame that Strike Vector basically died. It was pretty /m/.
>>
>>13562999
Tokushit isn't /m/ but Deus Ex is
>>
>>13563029
Don't forget Encounters in Space.
>>
>>13563091
This to be desu
>>
>>13563124
>to be to be honest
Anon...
>>
>>13562910
Instead of making new thread , I will ask it here.

What are some /m/ games a /vr/trooper can play
?
>>
>>13563029
Gihren's Greed is always relevant.
>>
Anyone play Rebel Galaxy?
>>
Ace Combat holy trilogy.
>>
File: ssz.jpg (39 KB, 580x360) Image search: [Google]
ssz.jpg
39 KB, 580x360
>>13562910
Strike Suit Zero is surprising well optimized for PC (the original, never played the DC).
>>
>>13564827
Space combat is pretty damn easy to render on a GPU though. Lots of things with identical models, few complicated animations, 90% of the image made of background, basically no overdraw to worry about, etc.

I enjoyed that game, even if the transform-spam missiles-untransform thing got a bit repetitive near the end.
>>
>>13564805
Too bad it emulates like complete shit
>>
>>13563027
The answer is no, no, no. Homeworld Cataclysm wasn't produced by Relic but by another studio, Barking Dog. Barking Dog Studios was not known for anything overly amazing, though they were competent at making games and Global Operations is still well-regarded to this day while Treasure Planet: Battle for Procyon is one of the undiscovered gems that 4chan sometimes talks about. They ended up being bought by Rockstar and most of their people left after they developed Bully.

With that in mind, Rockstar is the actual owner, most likely, of the Homeworld: Cataclysm copyrights, to the story and designs essentially. But they're not actually sure about that and Gearbox apparently couldn't find out who did own Cataclysm. In the time between being bought by Rockstar and Gearbox buying Homeworld, the source code for Homeworld: Cataclysm and the digital models were all lost, possibly in a flood or during a move depending on the teller of the story. So even if they did get the license they'd either have to remake everything from scratch, substantially increasing the cost of the remaster, or try to pull things off of ancient CDs that might or might not be readable. Probably not, according to developers who worked on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (263 KB, 640x1105) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
263 KB, 640x1105
Get yourself the PPSSPP emulator (PSP) and there's a bunch of stuff. From the Gundam games, to Armored Core, Carnage Heart and a game I made a thread about a few days ago.

Rengoku 2, pretty fun action dungeon crawler with customization for your android character. There's 5 slots (head, torso, each arm and your legs count as one combined slot) to mix and match items with. I have a drill head so I'm Getter 2 right now. It emulates perfectly.
Recommend the game to all you /m/en.

You can hook up a USB controller or PS3/Xbox 360 controller and use that for the emulator, also.
>>
>>13565351
Drill arm* sorry.
>>
>>13563008
A toaster can probably emulate the arcade version these days but good luck having the model 2 emulator work well with your controller.
>>
>>13565355
But can you have a drill head?
>>
>>13565351
stop don't play the psp armored cores
>>
>>13565409
Yep, you can and I did try it. Fucking strong for this point in the game, but not much ammo (parts have limited uses, then you recharge them at your helping station). It is balanced out by a leg pickup I have though that restocks ammo on a part.
>>13565491
My bad, never touched them so I can't really make an opinion, just knew they were there.
>>
>>13565526
I mean you can play the psp games but the controls are pretty terrible compared to the ps2 versions especially with Last Raven.
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 500x369
>>13565530
I'll keep it in mind if I want to play the series, thanks.
>>
>>13564311
That one side scroller where you can hop out of your robot and get a new one whose name escapes me great variety in designs too
>>
Is Kotor worth playing?
>>
>>13565526
>drill head
>not tekku blade

plebs not using superior post-nippon elixir skin, folded over a gorillion times
>>
>>13565783
It's a Bioware RPG with a Star Wars skin. That can be good or bad depending on your taste.
>>
>>13564311
I'm not sure how /r/ it is, but there's Tyrian/Tyrian2000.

Personally, I found it fun as fuck (even though Plasma storm OP), and the story has a Douglas Adams-y vibe to it.
>>
>>13565807
How did I miss the /m/ on my keyboard.
>>
>>13565783
Worth it just for HK-47.
>>
>>13565811
Why is your M key a /m/ key.

If you like shitty Korean pay-to-win MMOs, you could look at Cosmic Break. It's got great robot customization for having all the good units be anime girls.
Besides that, could look into Custom Robo, play it with Dolphin. It's pretty much Build Fighters except not Gundam.
>>
>>13565942
Because my keyboard automatically adds slashes to every lowercase stroke.
I have to go back and erase them manually every time.
>>
>>13565942
there is no point playing cosmic break now, it's become a shell of it's former self
>>
>>13565942
>MMOs
There's Phantasy Star Online 2
>>
>>13565951
It's still got that customization!
>>13565955
Oh yea, forgot about that. PSO2 is pretty fun too, need to fuck around with an external launcher if you want things in English though.
>>
I recommend Lost Planet 2
>>
>>13567138
People didn't like Lost Planet 3 but I enjoyed it. The Utility Rig felt like it had good weight and you use it a lot. Very /m/ though the levels are all tiny.
>>
>>13565533
The only good PSP armored core game is Formula Front and that is barely an AC game
>>
If you like lego games get Space Engineers. If you just want to blow shit up get the Mechwarrior series. Freelancer with the Discovery mod is great
>>
>>13562910
You could always emulate mecha PS2 games. They are plenty of them. The VOTOMS game is really fun and faithful.
>>
This week I've ben emulating the old eureka seven ps2 side story games. They're actually really good,although some may not like how there are split lfo lifting sections and ground battles,but they're still solid games.
The story's pretty good too, it gives insight on how the klfs became major military assets and shows how the compact drive feedback system was created.
The world building's pretty good too and Moondogie's in it. I'm almost through the 2nd game and
I might finish Kigdom hearts and ZoE after, but I'm not sure what to play next
>>
>>13565609
Metal Warrior for Snes perhaps?
>>13562910
What mecha games /m/ recommends for psp?
>>
Is Living Legends even alive?
>>
>>13570711
ded outside of a handful of players at weekends
>>
>>13570720
So, Mercenaries worth it?
>>
Project NImbus is early access but is still pretty good
>>
File: 1355645131422.jpg (3 MB, 4269x4600) Image search: [Google]
1355645131422.jpg
3 MB, 4269x4600
>>13562910
Here's the chart. Faselei!, Power Quest, and Medabots are also recommended if not on the chart already
>>
>>13567169
>>13570576
Rengoku was also on the PSP.
Mechwarrior was also on the SNES.
Some other general mech game recommendations are Zero Divide, Carnage Heart, Ring of Red, and Steel Lancer Arena International
>>
>>13570730
Get on a torrent site and get the Mektek version. dozens of new weapons and units to fuck with
>>
>>13565783
It's the last good bioware game. Really enjoyable even if my sithdyke couldn't get space married to Russian Courtney Taylor.
>>
>>13565783
kotor2 is better
>>
>>13564311
Target Earth (AKA Assault Suits Leynos) and Ranger X.

>>13567166
The problem with the Rig is that the Vital Suits from the first games were infinitely better. It wouldn't have been as bad if there was actual customization and we could get guns for the endgame, but what they gave us ended up being really disappointing. There's also the fact that they teased you with a Mech VS Mech final boss battle, only to go IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO and make you fight the battle on foot. Ridiculous that a Lost Planet game can go from start to finish with only a single instance of VS combat.

The first two games were amazing though, no complaints at all.
>>
File: 71eAbb2+taL._SL1000_[1].jpg (198 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
71eAbb2+taL._SL1000_[1].jpg
198 KB, 1000x1000
Star Wars Empire at War
>>
>>13573006
Gold Edition, not the ordinary one.
>>
>>13565968
>need to fuck around with an external launcher if you want things in English though.
You don't _have_ to, but it is the easy way. And easy it is.
>>
File: ULJS00321_00007.jpg (159 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
ULJS00321_00007.jpg
159 KB, 960x544
>>13570576
>What mecha games /m/ recommends for psp?
The Gundam games, and of course, the Macross games, where you can fly as a lot of units, from the F-14, to Klan.
>>
File: 1446685198156.webm (3 MB, 1138x640) Image search: [Google]
1446685198156.webm
3 MB, 1138x640
V A N Q U I S H
A
N
Q
U
I
S
H
>>
>>13565138

>In the time between being bought by Rockstar and Gearbox buying Homeworld, the source code for Homeworld: Cataclysm and the digital models were all lost, possibly in a flood or during a move depending on the teller of the story.

They had to cut it loose.
>>
>>13565793
>Bioware

Early Bioware specifically, before they went full Skyrim. It's way denser and more mechanically complex than their current stuff.
>>
>>13570758
It's an uglier Strike Suit Zero. Man, why does it seem to be too much to ask for a VOTOMS-style stompy mech game that's not Battleshit?
>>
>>13570845
>No Baldr Sky or Force.
I know, language barrier and all that, but c'mon. It's pure /m/.
>>
File: 1448708449500.jpg (50 KB, 555x610) Image search: [Google]
1448708449500.jpg
50 KB, 555x610
What are some first-person mecha games, other than Hawken and Mechwarrior? Preferably any with a bigger focus on melee, if those exist. Hell, I'm fine even if there's just a minor option for that, I just wanna punch other robots in first-person or something.
>>
>>13573754
T H I S
H
I
S

Shits like a space stg with cover and cqc
>>
>>13574455
You might like Lost Planet 3, though the majority of the game is full of boring segments outside of the mech. Even then, the mech segments aren't even that good and there's only a single mech VS mech fight in the entire thing (the rest of the game has you fighting space bugs which is admittedly great, but c'mon guy. No robot fights?) That said I can't even recommend the game because it's shit in general, but the mech parts are in first person at least.

There's also Chromehounds, but that game was only worth playing for the multiplayer and the servers have been shut down for years now.

A couple PS1 games come to mind as well. Epidemic was pretty fun, and then there was this other game that I can't remember the name of. You piloted a mech in first person and could transform into several different modes (there was a vertical upright mode, and then a faster vehicle type mode). The plot had you and your squad investigating some space colony or something with the gameplay revolving around exploring the place. I can't remember what this game was called though (or if it was even any good).

I think the Gungriffon games are first person but I haven't played them myself.
>>
>>13562910
Muv Luv
>>
>>13576492
LP3 wasn't that bad. No one actually played it because the developers were literal whos known for other things no one played either.

It actually has some really top notch sound design, voice acting, and art. But the back-tracking and lackluster shooting elements are what you'd expect from a game that came out five or six years earlier than it did.
>>
>>13574455
Gundam Side Story 0079 for dreamcast.
>>
File: Mec-VS-Mec.jpg (212 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
Mec-VS-Mec.jpg
212 KB, 1200x675
>>13562910

XCOM: Enemy Within

Then, after finishing the game on Classic, you can try the Long War mod.
>>
File: G-Nome.jpg (89 KB, 591x640) Image search: [Google]
G-Nome.jpg
89 KB, 591x640
>1996
>Can eject and go on foot
>First person
>Can hijack enemy units

My first mecha game
>>
Whats the difference between Strike Suit Zero and its Directors Cut?
>>
>>13574442
because gundamfags
>>
>>13574455
well there's Titanfall which despite all the bitching around these parts is actually pretty decent, it's probably the most fun I had with a COD style game in years, hopefully the inevitable sequel will be even better
>>
File: omega-boost.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
omega-boost.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>13562910
>>13564311
if you can emulate PS1, go play Omega Boost
>>
>>13586017
>if
If it runs it can emulate PS1. No matter what it is.
>>
>been playing front mission 3
>on emma's route
>get fucking Linny

Why is he even in this?
>>
>>13563008
That game runs terrible on PCs and it does not have nearly as much characters as the other games.

Damn it Sega! Why can't you just re-release all the games on Steam? And no, I am not going to buy a Xbox 360 just for those games alone.
>>
>>13574455
/m/ is probably going to lynch me for saying this, but

Titanfal.

In spite of all it's flaws, Titanfall is loads of fun. I am totally stealing the idea of mecha with a rudimentary artificial intelligence for my sci-fi RPGs.
>>
>>13586299
just emulate the arcade version
>>
>>13562999
Cyborgs aren't /m/echa, though. Cyborgs are humans improved with machine parts found in sci-fi and cyberpunk while mecha are larger than human human piloted robots. At best sci-fi/cyberpunk can have power suit or exo-skeleton but that is not the same as a mecha.
>>
File: Xenogears.jpg (643 KB, 2162x1535) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears.jpg
643 KB, 2162x1535
How the shit hasn't anyone said Xenogears already? The best mech game ever?
>>
>>13564441
I don't get how people play Gihrens Greed without it being a huge hassle. Isn't it a supremely text heavy game entirely in Japanese?
>>
>>13587800
>Isn't it a supremely text heavy game entirely in Japanese?
It's a strategy game, Anon. It's not an RPG. If you've seen the UC Gundams you know exactly what you're getting, and if you pull up the translated event trees on the wiki you've eliminated 90% of the problem right then and then.

Beyond the campaign events, all you do is build units, move them around, and watch their sprites die in glorious combat.
>>
>>13587795
It's covered under the "get a PS1 emulator" provision
>>
>>13570845
.>It would be awesome if ROB was emulated.

Has he ever seen one actually do anything? It's not really something that would make sense to emulate.
>>
>>13577056
Seconding this. Great gameplay and your squad is made up of Spike and Faye.
>>
>>13578420
The DC adds... you know what I can't find a differences list. As far as I can tell it adds some bug fixes, DX10 mode is in it (not sure if that was in the original) and higher resolution visuals. I don't remember much of this game off the top of my head as I felt that the mech mode was underpowered and it was better to stay in fighter mode 95% of the time.

The mech mode is essentially turning into a semi stationary gun platform.
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.