[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why this movie looks so bad when compared to Gamera 3 Revenge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
Why this movie looks so bad when compared to Gamera 3 Revenge of Isis? Was Toho pushing out the budget or what? Kaneko did great in all Gamera films, but this somewhat looks so cheap. And it's possible the most overrated of the Godzilla movies. All of the Millenium series is just so shallow, Godzilla lost his personality and most endearing aspects.
>>
I don't think they were going for "endearing" with Godzilla in that film.
>>
>>13562745

Yeah, I know they tried to do him more like a unstoppable force of nature. Still, even being one of the best in the Millenium series, the movie could have been much better... But at the end, no Godzilla film can actually get even close to surpass what Kaneko did on Gamera. And knowing he was a big Godzilla fan before, I would expect him to put a little more effort. Everything felt so rushed. The cgi and costumes don't look good, they look more like what you would expect from Ultraman Max, and that's a TV series on a restrained budget.
>>
>Poster has classic Baragon
TRIGGERED
>>
>>13562695
>Why this movie looks so bad when compared to Gamera 3 Revenge of Isis? Was Toho pushing out the budget or what?
They actually spent more money on it, but they also meddled way more with the creative stuff and didn't give Kaneko as much time to complete the picture as Daei had for those films. It's a shame he peaked so early.
>>
It's a very good movie.
>>
>>13564704

It's ok, but compared to the Gamera trilogy, it was kinda of a letdown.
>>
>>13562765
>Everything felt so rushed.
When the script is finished by May, filming in September, and two months of post, that kinda happens.

Toho throws money at their movies, but don't really take time to apply proper quality control with the idea of "If we filmed it we're damn well using it."

Going by the original ideas shot around for Kaneko, he was kind of a terrible fit for Godzilla in the first place. I understand wanting to leave your mark and do something unique, but his ideas just showed that he really needed to to do his own original kaiju movie and not twist and turn Gamera into something they aren't.
>>
Toho is a shitty company, that's why. Also, based Shinji Iguchi wasn't in charge of the SFX (Well, he did one scene), that's probably why the effects weren't as good.
>>
>>13564750

But Gamera was nothing other than a dead franchise by then. The series itself never had its own identity, most movies were just doing their own thing with the plot. The only recurrent thing was that he would come to fight the monster, save the world and that he has a fondness of children. Which pretty much still present in the Kaneko version. Well, children does like him at least, but it's ambiguous if he's intentionally protecting them or it's just that he happens to be in the way when they get attacked. And well, one could say the Godzilla Heisei series was turning him into something he never was. God, it's impossible to even compare something like vs Space Godzilla with the first Kaneko's Gamera movie that came out around the same time.
>>
Looking at ordering some of the blu rays, the fuck is the difference between:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JQYUZSS/ref=tmm_mfc_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr= and http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005G7WGFO/ref=tmm_blu_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005K8RJF6/ref=tmm_mfc_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr= and http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JQYUXY4/ref=tmm_mfc_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=&sr=

http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Biollante-Blu-ray-Koji-Takahashi/dp/B00LVZK1LG/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1436973938&sr=1-7&keywords=godzilla+1985&refinements=p_n_format_browse-bin%3A2650305011 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ERK122/ref=pd_luc_rh_top_sim_03_02_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ?

Also, i'm a bit confused, as some places (play-asia speeffically) says DaM doesn't have an english dub on it for the blu ray, yet other places do.
>>
In GMK, Godzilla wrecked like two or 3 times King Gidorah is that the only time King Gidorah jobbed so hard?
>>
File: godzilla_1954_81.jpg (704 KB, 2825x2079) Image search: [Google]
godzilla_1954_81.jpg
704 KB, 2825x2079
>>13562765
>But at the end, no Godzilla film can actually get even close to surpass what Kaneko did on Gamera.

Ok, I love the Gamera trilogy too, but, seriously?
>>
>>13565632
Yeah, because in most movies King Ghidorah was a planet-busting space psycho, but in GMK Ghidorah is a juvenile Yamata no Orochi, so yeah, he's pretty much the weakest Ghidorah has ever been.
>>
>>13565632
How'd King Ghidorah go out in the '91 movie?

I honestly can't remember, I tried to forget that movie.
>>
>>13565672
I don't think I watched that one.
>>
>>13565672
He was wrecking shit for a while, but jobbed to Big G to show how much bigger and stronger HE got after absorbing the radiation from a nuclear sub opposed to A-bomb tests. King G went dormant in the ocean and got brought back as a cyborg and fought Big G again to a draw.
>>
>>13565692
That's not so bad.
>>
>>13565650

Nah, first movie was solid, but it was almost a completely different genre. I'm talking about the silly stuff, the over-the-top giant monsters fighting. Original Godzilla was not about that at all.
>>
>>13565672

But that movie is awesome.
>>
File: SokogekiGoji.jpg (91 KB, 594x594) Image search: [Google]
SokogekiGoji.jpg
91 KB, 594x594
>>13566017
Fair enough. And I will admit, '54 aside, the Gamera trilogy can compete with the finest the rest of the Godzilla library has to offer.
But did you really dislike GMK that much? It's one of my preferred Godzilla movies to be honest, it's not perfect by any means, but it tried a few different things that I actually quite liked.

>Yeah, I know they tried to do him more like a unstoppable force of nature.
Well, to be fair that was more of a Heisei and the-rest-of-the-Millenium-series kind of thing. I kind of liked the idea in GMK that while recovering from the Oxygen Destroyer, Godzilla somehow took in the restless souls of the Pacific War, and became more of a vengeful spirit than force of nature, and I thought that was a really neat idea, adding a mystic spin to the movie. And call me an edgelord but the Godzilla suit in this movie is another one of my favorites. I grew up watching Godzilla as a superhero mostly, and neutral at worst, so it was quite interesting to see him at perhaps his most villainous. Also Ko Otani as composer? Yes please.
>>
>>13567003
>it's not perfect by any means, but it tried a few different things that I actually quite liked.
Same here, I know I may just be placing my standards low, but I always rather liked GMK for what it was -- a quickly churned out Millennium-era G movie that at least had some ambition behind it.

Though I admit, part of it may be because of my early exposure to it. I didn't grow up with this shit, knew next to nothing about the franchise or the characters, so when I first saw a clip from GMK, it immediately caught my attention purely on the basis of "hey, these effects look a bit better than usual".
>>
>>13562695
>Revenge of Iris
>good

If you like mediocre fighting, lots of babble, and shitty cliffhangers I guess.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.