[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why people think IBO's magic space armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 020.jpg (52 KB, 332x319) Image search: [Google]
020.jpg
52 KB, 332x319
Can someone explain why people think IBO's magic space armor that makes Beam weapons useless is great and awesome, while SEED's magic space armor that makes non Beam weapons useless is retarded?
>>
>>13549517
When did they say that? I always heard that it was more "There are no beam weapons, and nano-laminate armor provides protection from solid projectiles, so melee combat has a heavier emphasis."
>>
This is now a Yugioh thread.
>>
>>13549517

Most MS run on batteries, with PS being a constant drain. It makes more sense on the nuclear powered suits,but then a certain problem crops up during Destiny. PS should have become obsolete during this time due to how commonplace beam weaponry had become, but it's still being thrown onto all the major mobile suits because it starting up looked cool.

With IBO's setup, the nano-laminate armor is more like a passive ability in a world where, beam weaponry does not exist. It's still relevant without any drawbacks like PS armor has.
>>
>>13549517

I've never heard anyone make either claim. I've heard people say that IBO is awesome and that SEED is shit but I've never heard them complain that those particular aspects are anything other than a piece of the overall reason why and are good in context. I don't even like SEED and I think it's phase shift armor is a pretty neat space opera idea to make combat a little different. The execution is shit but the idea itself is fine. Which is SEED all over. The same is true of the nanolaminate armor in IBO in my opinion. It's an cool idea to negate beam spam and I think the battles benefit from it by forcing things in close a la the original Gundam. How those battles fare after that point is contentions, but again, I've never heard anyone say that IBO or SEED are cool or shit specifically because of those things.
>>
>>13549517
In-universe justifications only matter to the extent that they affect the actions of the characters in a story. The point is that the directors, writers, etc. decided they wanted to focus on melee combat in their battle scenes, and the justification came after the fact.

Magical particles floating in the air that dissipate all beam weapons after 10 meters wouldn't have been any more or less bullshit, because the effect on the story being told is all that matters.

Problems only arise when your background psuedoscience intrudes on the foreground and starts directly affecting the plot (see: 00's GN particles solving all of the character's problems, up to and including curing cancer)
>>
>>13549732
People throw around GN cancer so much I'm starting to wonder if they realize that it's a term we invented.
>>
>>13549517
Because melee is badass and manly, beamspam is for sissies that like staying away.
>>
>IBO
>magic armor that negates beams
There ARE no beams in IBO, beam weapons straight the fuck up do not exist.
>>
>>13549741
They don't.
>>
IBO is trying to do something similar to Five Star Stories in terms of the emphasis on melee combat and duels.

The only differences is that in FSS, beam technology does exist but armor is too strong for it and even solid swords are stronger than beam swords. This is on top of the sense of chivalry in honour based dueling.
>>
>>13549517
What I gather is that Nano-Laminated Armor made Lasers obsolete as in focused light energy weapons, probably cause the Nano-Laminated armor has great heat dispersion capabilities, in most Gundam shows Beam Weapons are not actual lasers but plasma weapons basically instead of firing a focused super heated light stream at the target (think mechwarrior lasers that instantly hit as they travel at light speed) the beam weapons in Gundam just fire mass of plasma meant to melt the target with the plasmoid projectile, no heat dissipating armor is gonna tank direct plasma particles. I wonder if eventually we are going to see some energy or plasma weapons in IBO that or maybe some missiles or crazy ammo types

The problem with Phase Shift Armor is that it was incredibly inconsistent, sometimes it drained the battery in minutes then few episodes later its last forever, also it doesn't help the fact that they kept turning it on despite facing enemies that were using only beam based weapons, the same happened with the Anti-Beam shields they got, on episode the Shield can take a Scylla Cannon direct hit no problem, next episode a rifle shot takes it down like nothing
>>
because in SEED having the PS armor was a cop out for spamming beams but in IBO it has opened up new opertunities to the type of weapons we'll be seeing in this series, just look at what we've gotten so far
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.