[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is fantasy mecha a dead sub genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /m/ - Mecha

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 271188-escaflowne.jpg (628 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
271188-escaflowne.jpg
628 KB, 1366x768
Why is fantasy mecha a dead sub genre?
>>
Just because The Fool and Cross Ange are shit doesn't mean they don't exist fampai
>>
>>13547009

people's taste got shittier
>>
File: ab_dunbine.jpg (64 KB, 590x286) Image search: [Google]
ab_dunbine.jpg
64 KB, 590x286
This thread needs more Dunbine
>>
>>13547009
i tried making a friend watch geass as an entry level mecha anime, he told me first that he wouldn't watch it, then i convinced him, then he told me he didn't evne finish first episode cause he dislikes "mechas" i told him why? if you have seen transformers and stuff like that and also have seen anime like mirai nikki , shingeki, death note and others i told him that code geass is pretty much like death note with mechas.

He told me "i just dislike it", i swear to god i was about to beat the crap out of him, people's tastes have indeed gotten into shit.

This friend was a retard though he told me he found bebop stupid and didn't get the ending.
>>
>>13547009
Because we went horribly wrong somewhere, and now we don't get shows about medieval robots often enough. It's a shame, too, since feudalism and mecha actually compliment each other pretty well from a conceptual standpoint.
>>
>>13547009
I don't think Japan makes much fantasy period. Well there are a crap ton of fantasy shonen and harem shows, but they don't seem to make shows like Record of the Lodoss wars very often.
>>
Wings of rean happened that's why
>>
>>13547027
this, the fool would have been a good fantasy mecha without the historical figures crap and a little more budget
>>
File: 1331706191892.jpg (280 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1331706191892.jpg
280 KB, 1440x1080
> Why is fantasy mecha a dead sub genre?

Careful, we do have fantasy mecha, we are even drowning in that shit since forever. ESCAFLOWNE ! isn't just fantasy mecha, more like science fantasy.
Fantasy mecha come from technology made lazily indistinguishable from magic.
ESCAFLOWNE ! had magic sufficiently analyzed to be indistinguishable from science (I'm reaching I know).

The problem is that such things require intelligent and rational being as the anime's producer, something which is probably extinct on this World.
Producers usually lack most of the following :
- the artistic motive to do such show
- the support from investor to stride away from kid-fall-into-magical-robot-and-kick-ass-sell-a-lot-of-toy recipe
- the talent to make it actually look good
- and the carbon nanotube strengthened will to resist pandering to the teenager primate that make most of the market.

That's how you get awesome ideas drowned into unwatchable show because of awful quality or pedobait cast.

Yes my life is nothing but soul-crushing pain & deception, have a nice day.
>>
>>13549596
>my life is nothing but soul-crushing pain & deception
Nope, just sounds like your life is nothing but underage newfaggotry
>>
>>13547009
Kawamori is still around, so i don't get why you call the mix dead...
>>
fantasy is boring, like steampunk
>>
>>13547009
Does Star Wars count as fantasy mecha?
>>
>>13547131
I thought Panzer World Galient had only HKsubs?
>>
>15 responses
>no Break Blade
sasuga /v/
>>
>>13553041
Nope. Fully translated
>>
>>13553093
Oh wait, I confused it for Machine Robo.
>>
>>13547009
Fantasy people like stuff to feel semi-serious, and/or be fully self-aware.
Sci-Fi people like stuff to feel VERY serious, either in concept/world-building, or thematically (with it's motifs and analogies). Mecha people come in many flavors, must of which either want super-serious military/"real" mecha, or balls-to-the-walls over the top nonsense.

SO, at best, fantasy mecha really only starts out with about 2/3rds of a full audience half of the time, and unless it's got some stellar writing most of that's going to fall off half way through.

Not to mention, in general, the writing in anime is pretty shit; Sturgeon's revelation and all that. So 90% of anime is already shit, maybe 1 or 2 shows of mecha, at most, are left in the season's 10% (if there are even any good shows that season), and of those any of the Fantasy Mecha that's in there is either striving to satisfy everyone (and usually this means satisfying nobody in the process), or starting out gimped.

TL;DR
It's a very niche sub-genre.
>>
>>13547109
...why on earth would you start someone with Shit Geass?
>>
Because Escaflowne is trash.
>>
>>13553154
You are trash
>>
>>13547009
> Break Blade
> Xenoblade
> The Fool
> Cross Aenge
> get fucked
>>
>>13547042
Name one good fantasy mecha in the last 5 years.
>>
>>13553197
Knights of Sidonia
>>
>>13553152
>Shit Geass
LOL
>>
At the end of the day, fantasy is already kinda niche (which is funny since D&D is so big in Japan).

Combining it with mechs lowers the interested crowd even more.
>>
>>13553146
>Fantasy people like stuff to feel semi-serious, and/or be fully self-aware.
Does Slayers really count as self-aware? I mean it was just a campaign the author went through with his friends.
>>
>>13553252
Do you honestly believe KoS is Science fantasy?
>>
>>13547009
It was probably always pretty dead.
>>
>>13553443
I thought that was Lodoss War. Slayers was as well?
>>
Why is mecha a dead sub genre?
>>
>>13553604

Yeah both. As someone put it in a review way back when they were relatively new

"Record of Lodoss War is what happens in a D&D game when everything goes right, just the way the DM envisioned. Slayers is what usually ends up actually happening."
>>
>>13553730
>Record of Lodoss War is what happens in a D&D game when everything goes right, just the way the DM envisioned.
So it's two kinds of fantasy.
>>
>>13553252
they live in a spaceship, and fight aliens. how is that fantasy?
>>
Tomino's next show will reinvigorate the subgenre.
>>
>>13547009

Because that's not /m/
>>
>>13553594
other than Escaflowne, Magic Knight Rayearth, and Dunbine, its hard to think of more shows with midieval fantasy settings and giant robots.

Still, if you dig around 80s and early 90's shows you get the Lamune & 40 series, KO Beast Century, and probably a few others.

I think the problem we have, now, is that Escaflowne is the pinacle of two massively popular genres that have largely fallen out of favor, in Japan: D&D style fantasy and mecha. back in the 80's EVERYTHING was either fantasy or mecha. putting the two of them together was only natural. these days, nothing gets off the ground unless the MC is a super cute girl that you can put on a hug pillow. Manly men and women swinging swords and battling for justice are pretty unpopular. Still, shows like Attack on Titan and Iron Blooded Orphans shows that the japanese anime industry really wants to wean itself off otaku dollars, even if they really can't
>>
>>13553736

Well yeah, obviously.
>>
>>13547009
Because thinking up a consistent magic system is HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRD.

Yeah, laziness is the main thing holding fantasy works back.
>>
>>13553842
Weren't half the original fantasy animes just based on DnD sessions the creators had?
>>
Are there any Fantasy Mecha shows that don't use a Tolkein/D&D-type setting?
>>
>>13553604
A fair amount of fantasy stuff is routed in the writers' tabletop campaign. Light novels are no exception.

>>13554057
Wings of Rean and Yamato Takeru. Sengoku Gyouha Dullahan is worth noting too.

I think Wataru has a more Asian theme as well, but I'm not sure. Haven't seen it.
>>
>>13547042
The anime boom has ended.

You now have to pander to a small group willing to pay for blurays. They have different tastes.
>>
>>13554158
Tomino said he is working on a fantasy mecha movie.
>>
>>13549615
The truth hurts huh?

No, if you want a anime with a intricate plot told over 50+ episodes the future looks bleak.
>>
>>13554176
>intricate plot told over 50+ episodes
Not that anon, but man, I'd actually watch if someone can make any /m/ anime with a good story over 52 episodes again.
>>
>>13554170
Please let it not be another Wings of Rean...
>>
>>13554219

Doesn't have to even be /m/-related, I just want to see a show that can stay strong for 50 episodes without a break. Nowadays everything splits into halves.
>>
>>13554273
If anything, I think the 50-episode release style has been relegated to shounen and sports anime.
>>
>>13554176
Not really, since what you're saying isn't true anyway. Your original, highly cringe worthy post only makes you look even more retarded. Also shows that >>13549615 hit the nail on the head.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.